C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Evosport C32s: Why is the plumbing mounted so high on the washer reservoir?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Evosport C32s: Why is the plumbing mounted so high on the washer reservoir?

Over the past few weeks, I have been noticing progressively faster leaking from my windshield washer reservoir. It is now to the point that I have to fill it after every 1/2 hour of driving or so, or the S/C overheats and shuts off (or at least I assume that lack of fluid in the reservoir is why the S/C is shutting down).

I took a close look at the washer reservoir, and noticed that it appears that Evosport runs the plumbing for the intercooler into a spot in the washer reservoir which is nowhere near the bottom of same. In fact, it looks like it is plumbed into a spot which is well above the mid point of the reservoir. Unless I am mistaken, this means that, if your washer fluid goes down by a few inches from full, the hose will be sucking air (or am I looking at the return hose?).

Anyone else have a similar problem, or any thoughts on what is causing my prob? I have an appointment with Evo next Monday. I am sure that they will fix it, but I just thought there might be an even easier solution (Huntington Beach, where Evo is located, is a good 1 1/2 hour drive).
Old 04-16-2006, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The hose you are looking at is the return line. The washer fluid resevoir has a lid just underneth the headlight. That most likely is the problem. On my car it has became open a couple of times. When you fill the resevoir does fluid leak out the bottom of the car? If so that is your problem. Hope that helps
Old 04-16-2006, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Originally Posted by N.M.M.
The hose you are looking at is the return line. The washer fluid resevoir has a lid just underneth the headlight. That most likely is the problem. On my car it has became open a couple of times. When you fill the resevoir does fluid leak out the bottom of the car? If so that is your problem. Hope that helps
Not sure. I'll check it and report back. thx.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by Vomit
Over the past few weeks, I have been noticing progressively faster leaking from my windshield washer reservoir. It is now to the point that I have to fill it after every 1/2 hour of driving or so, or the S/C overheats and shuts off (or at least I assume that lack of fluid in the reservoir is why the S/C is shutting down).

I took a close look at the washer reservoir, and noticed that it appears that Evosport runs the plumbing for the intercooler into a spot in the washer reservoir which is nowhere near the bottom of same. In fact, it looks like it is plumbed into a spot which is well above the mid point of the reservoir. Unless I am mistaken, this means that, if your washer fluid goes down by a few inches from full, the hose will be sucking air (or am I looking at the return hose?).

Anyone else have a similar problem, or any thoughts on what is causing my prob? I have an appointment with Evo next Monday. I am sure that they will fix it, but I just thought there might be an even easier solution (Huntington Beach, where Evo is located, is a good 1 1/2 hour drive).
I think i have posted this before but your issue may not be a leak in the plumbing but could be a faulty leaking intercooler core. I know its not want you want to hear but these things are all starting to go. You are not alone is finding your washer fluid tank is always empty. If you dont see a leak on the ground I doubt you have a leak in the plumbing. When i have had leaks from washer fluid systems I always saw a drip of water when i parked the car.

The intercooler cores develop holes and the water leaks out into the engine as the fluid passes throught the cooler. If you had coolant in the system you would have a oozing crusty mess of dried coolant in intake runners. Since you have water it will be harder to see the signs of the leaking core when you pull the inake manifold off but I think you might want EVO to take a look at that as well once you are up there. Or have your dealership look at it and if its broken that is a warranty item. Just dont mention the fact that you changed the piping around with the washer fluid etc.

The leaking hose is a cheaper theory but it might not be the root of the vanishing washer fluid.

Vadim knows all about this issue so maybe you would feel more comfortable talking to him about it.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Silver 2002 C32, Silver 2006 CLK 350
where is the intercooler core located at? how do you inspect it for leaks?
Old 04-17-2006, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
NMM:

Do you mean where the filler neck joins the tank via rubber o-ring? Or are you talking about something else?

NMM/Trekman:

I do have leaking on the drivers side of the car. Furthermore, when I fill the tank, it will not fill up into the filler neck (any attempt to so fill it results in all fluid draining onto the ground). I really do think (hope) that it is something to do with the tank and not the intercooler.

Last edited by Vomit; 04-17-2006 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:09 PM

2003 C32
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
You are not alone is finding your washer fluid tank is always empty.
Would you please confirm whether the issue you outlined in your above post refers only to C32's with Evosport mods?

Trending Topics

Old 04-17-2006, 07:20 PM

Vomit : I do so leaking on the drivers side of the car. Furthermore, when I fill the tank, it will not fill up into the filler neck (any attempt to so fill it results in all fluid draining onto the ground). I really do think (hope) that it is something to do with the tank and not the intercooler.

Your problem is with the tank. To the right of the filler neck just underneth the head light, there is a cap. That cap is not secured. It is not visible from the top, but if you stick your hand underneth the head light you can feel it. Removal of the bumper is required to fix the issue though.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Vomit : I do so leaking on the drivers side of the car. Furthermore, when I fill the tank, it will not fill up into the filler neck (any attempt to so fill it results in all fluid draining onto the ground). I really do think (hope) that it is something to do with the tank and not the intercooler.

Your problem is with the tank. To the right of the filler neck just underneth the head light, there is a cap. That cap is not secured. It is not visible from the top, but if you stick your hand underneth the head light you can feel it. Removal of the bumper is required to fix the issue though.
Thankx. I'm going to take a shot at it tomorrow.

Hey, have you had to smog your car after removing a couple of the cats? Did it pass (or, if no test yet, will it pass?)?
Old 04-17-2006, 10:21 PM
Banned

S600TT, R350
Steve, fill the windshield washer reserviour until just below the neck. Otherwise it will leak.

You could possibly have an intercooler core leaking, like CynCarvin32 mentioned. At this time I have heard of over 20 cars with leaks.

At this time there are no cores in US. They have to come from Germany.

If you very close to your dealer they might me able to get it done under 'good will', unless you are still under warranty

Call me if you have any other questions.

Thanks, Vadim.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:56 AM

Vadim, It's good to see you around!
Old 04-18-2006, 11:31 AM

2003 C32
Originally Posted by Vadim @ MBSB
Steve, fill the windshield washer reserviour until just below the neck. Otherwise it will leak.
Someone please explain?
Old 04-18-2006, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal

You could possibly have an intercooler core leaking, like CynCarvin32 mentioned. At this time I have heard of over 20 cars with leaks.

At this time there are no cores in US. They have to come from Germany.

If you very close to your dealer they might me able to get it done under 'good will', unless you are still under warranty

Call me if you have any other questions.

Thanks, Vadim.
Holy Krap, 20 leakers?

Thanks for the info. I'm still trying to find the plug which Nima mentioned. Hopefully, that's all it is.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Originally Posted by Renault78law
Someone please explain?
The filler tube is separate from the tank, and the two are connected by what appears to be an extremely lame arrangement of a loose-fitting "sort-of watertight" rubber O-ring. Hence, if you fill the tank above the junction of the neck and the tank, it leaks.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All of this leaky tank talk has me wondering about something: What if I install the Evosport ODPS system WITHOUT the reservoir changes? Since I don't track my car, is heat really going to be an issue at the stoplight drags?
Old 04-20-2006, 11:24 AM

2003 C32
Vomit, update?
Old 04-20-2006, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Originally Posted by Renault78law
Vomit, update?
Puke came out just fine, thank you

Oh, you mean the car. Well, I managed to find the cap on the top of the tank, and it feels secure to me, so I am starting to think that I am intercooler victim number 21. I am taking the car to Evo on Monday morning, we'll see what they say. I'll keep you posted. Out of warranty by a few months, so I've got the xtra large can of Vaseline eagerly awaiting intimacy with Vomit's backside.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:41 PM
SPONSOR

Puke came out just fine, thank you

Oh, you mean the car. Well, I managed to find the cap on the top of the tank, and it feels secure to me, so I am starting to think that I am intercooler victim number 21. I am taking the car to Evo on Monday morning, we'll see what they say. I'll keep you posted. Out of warranty by a few months, so I've got the xtra large can of Vaseline eagerly awaiting intimacy with Vomit's backside.
i am just thinking here, but isn't the intercooler just like a radiator under the supercharger? couldn't it be repaired by a radiator repair shop just like any other radiator? or what about BARS Stop Leak that is designed to stop radiators from leaking?

like i said, just thinking, any input?
Old 04-20-2006, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Not a bad idea, actually. Thanks. I haven't even priced the new intercooler core, but I have to assume that it is not going to be the price of a pizza. I guess the question boils down to "how much is the new one?"
Old 04-20-2006, 07:37 PM
Banned

S600TT, R350
There are no cores in the country at this time.

Germany only.

Retail is over $1200.

I tried to fix mine, no luck, leak is internal. One has to cut it to pieces and rewelded back in the original shape. Might as well get a new one.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:39 PM
SPONSOR

There are no cores in the country at this time.

Germany only.

Retail is over $1200.

I tried to fix mine, no luck, leak is internal. One has to cut it to pieces and rewelded back in the original shape. Might as well get a new one.
how bad was the leak?

what steps did you take to try to fix it?
Old 04-21-2006, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
I just realized something else. . . I don't hear the electric pump running any more after I turn my car off. Is it possible that the pump is kaput, and that the washer fluid is perhaps leaking from there? In other words, is it possible that my whole problem could be fixed by replacing the intercooler pump?
Old 04-21-2006, 12:22 PM
SPONSOR

I just realized something else. . . I don't hear the electric pump running any more after I turn my car off. Is it possible that the pump is kaput, and that the washer fluid is perhaps leaking from there? In other words, is it possible that my whole problem could be fixed by replacing the intercooler pump?
yes, your pump is toast...but, i don't think it has anything to do with you losing fluid...
Old 04-23-2006, 03:00 PM

2002 SLK 32 AMG
hey guys. i think i'm number 22 with the intercooler leak and my warrenty is expired.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:30 PM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by amgstyle
hey guys. i think i'm number 22 with the intercooler leak and my warrenty is expired.
sorry to hear that, what are you symptoms?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Evosport C32s: Why is the plumbing mounted so high on the washer reservoir?