C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Question for those who have taken their cars in for service campaign 2006-030011

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 12:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Audi C7.5 S6
Had service campaign done May 2nd, update control unit software and replace relay. Car ran fine.

Within a few weeks, the IC pump failed. Car felt like it was running on two cylinders, when hot.

I was told by the service advisor, that he had never seen a failure of the
the SC coolant pump (total BS). I told him to drive it hard and monitor the Intake air temp.

Replaced pump May 31, under warranty. After driving hard at temp, ECU generated code P2027-001, intake air temp too high. Pump was drawing 0.0 amps, checked fuse ok. Replaced pump. Normal draw is 1.5 amps.

Car is currently running fine, its been over three months now.

It is very odd that the IC pump failed, within weeks of the recall flash.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'02 C32
Just brought the car in for the service. Wish me luck.

I was told the car will be ready by tomorrow. How long did the service campaign take all of you?
Old 10-16-2006, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Silver 2002 C32, Silver 2006 CLK 350
I still have slight shaking on start up I wonder if I get my car chipped by renntech or evosport that they can fix the problem? I love my car but I'm thinking of selling it if I cant fix the slight shaking on start up
Old 11-06-2006, 09:12 PM

Well SON OF A GUN!

I have been noticing a big loss of power so came here to search around and discovered this thread. On June 22nd I had my airpump replaced due to a failure. At that time they performed the campaign on my car.

So do you always hear the intercooler pump when you turn off the car? Mine is dead quiet. The car can't hold 60 mph going up a hill and is dog slow.

Has anyone had their dealer admit that the campaign caused damage to their pump? Great luck for me that my warranty ran out in Sep!

Thanks

Chris
Old 11-06-2006, 09:15 PM

E55, C32, ML320
Originally Posted by Trekman
I still have slight shaking on start up I wonder if I get my car chipped by renntech or evosport that they can fix the problem? I love my car but I'm thinking of selling it if I cant fix the slight shaking on start up
I still have the rough idle at startup even after chipping it.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:51 PM

Audi C7.5 S6
Did you try the throttle reset?

When the ECU is flashed from the OBD2 port, the long term learnings are not erased.

Mine was running rough for a while, did the throttle reset and it cleared up.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:59 PM

E55, C32, ML320
I did the ecu reset. No change with the rough idle though.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:45 AM

2002 C32 AMG
Another one on this list for the shaking issue right after the recall though I’m the very late and last one here (haven’t been cruising by this forum). Never had it before, not even a similar issue about jerks when stopping / taking off? Don’t recall it exactly, which I’d read so many posts about it previously, way before they’ve had this recall done that is. I didn’t think they can catch it since it’s intermittently even during both warm and cold besides that I don’t have the chance to drive it much since the recall, so I just have been let it ride until it does it more often and a little more aggressive. Haven’t experience the s/c not coming on yet when stepped down. However do recall once that I’d to make such an effort on the gas paddle to get it moving at speed, didn’t needed the s/c to kicks in yet at that point though. Will take it out for an uphill and an acceleration above 60-80 mph test to see if I’ll have the power lost. I have a feeling that I’ll eventually run it to it sooner or later based on most of us have had it already...
Old 11-08-2006, 04:30 PM

2002 C32 AMG
By the way, I have an '02 C32, not the C55.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:17 PM

'04 C32 AMG, '03 C230 Sport Sedan, '04 VW Jetta TDI, '00 Mercury Mountaineer SUV
2006-030011 Recall- Help understand potential problems

I have recently purchased an '04C32 w/ 29,000+ miles. I went to the dealer today to verify the status of this recall on my car and was told that it had not been done. From all the posts here with owners that have had nothing but problems I am nearly scared to death to take my car in to have this done! It drives fine now. The dealer tells me that this recall only involves installing a relay (approx 1 hour shop time) and that there is no way that this could result in drivability problems. Moreover, he said that this does not involve any software changes. I can't avoid this since all cars are involved and I understand the reason for the relay, to keep the I/C from buring itself up if it continues to run after the car is shut off.
I also called a respected member of this forum who told me that only the C55 recall included ECU changes and that otherwise there was nothing to be concerned about. Confused!
Old 11-21-2006, 01:16 PM

Audi C7.5 S6
First thing to keep in mind is that most of the service advisors lie. They
even appear sincere. There is not point in arguing. Just work around the lies.

Had my 2003 C32 in for the 2006030011 recall, they flashed my ECU
and changed the relay. Some serial numbers may not need the ECU re-flash, but my understanding is the re-flash changes how long/often the air pump comes on. Also, I think the re-flash affected some other things, but am not sure what, yet, but it may be that they turned off sensor monitoring capability on the OBD2 port, for systems other than MB.

They ALWAYS claim any problem, I have had, they have NEVER seen before, which is B.S. Even on the supercharger IC pump, they told me the pump never fails, then they ended up replacing mine (four weeks after the above recall).
Old 11-21-2006, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 AMG Black on Carlsson 1/6 EVO
I had the I/C pump and the service done at the sametime. No issues here so far...
Old 11-22-2006, 02:31 PM

Three months after going in for service due to the airpump failure and having the campaign applied, my car started acting sluggish. My PCM was reflashed at the same time and I have an 03.

My car, of course, ran out of warranty a month ago. Using my OBD tool I pulled a code P2027 which was incorrectly labeled as Evaporative Emissions Fuel Vapor Temp Sensor Circuit High Voltage. I ordered the Lightning intercooler pump and replaced the stock one on Saturday. The old one measured about 1.5 ohms across the windings and the new one was around 4 ohms.

I fired up the car and it drove like new. So far no sign of the old slug and no codes. 44,000 miles

Last edited by ChrisM; 11-22-2006 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:52 PM

M-B needs to stop with this charade. It is clear from many, many owners that this service campaign has repeatable negative results on our cars. If the dealer ever needs to touch my car again, I will make them sign a document stating that they will NOT perform the service (and then sue them if they do).
Old 11-22-2006, 04:13 PM

'07 E63; 05 C55 gone; '02 C32 gone;1996 SL320;1978 280CE Gone
Originally Posted by dwhicker
I have recently purchased an '04C32 w/ 29,000+ miles. I went to the dealer today to verify the status of this recall on my car and was told that it had not been done. From all the posts here with owners that have had nothing but problems I am nearly scared to death to take my car in to have this done! It drives fine now. The dealer tells me that this recall only involves installing a relay (approx 1 hour shop time) and that there is no way that this could result in drivability problems. Moreover, he said that this does not involve any software changes. I can't avoid this since all cars are involved and I understand the reason for the relay, to keep the I/C from buring itself up if it continues to run after the car is shut off.
I also called a respected member of this forum who told me that only the C55 recall included ECU changes and that otherwise there was nothing to be concerned about. Confused!
What is the C55 recall??? Can you let me know as I did not read the entire thread.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:33 PM

E55, C32, ML320
Originally Posted by m3_eater
M-B needs to stop with this charade. It is clear from many, many owners that this service campaign has repeatable negative results on our cars. If the dealer ever needs to touch my car again, I will make them sign a document stating that they will NOT perform the service (and then sue them if they do).
I have the same issues and agree that MB needs to step up. But in the meantime I doubt that a dealer will sign a document saying they won't perform a mandatory service campaign.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:20 PM

2003 C32 AMG, 2003 ML270 CDi
Originally Posted by Bobby Dazzler
Now bear with me here...

My dealer has been looking at the engine for a cure, but I'm now wondering whether actually may be transmission. After the rough idle, when you pull away the engine seems to rev high and then shift, almost feels like driving in low-range in a 4x4 - lots of revs with little progress. Once this occurred to me, it dawned on me that the rough idle is a little (I said a little) like switching from normal to low-range on a 4x4 too.

Now I read somewhere that there are two reverse gear ratios on the AMG auto box. Maybe there are two cogs, or maybe a single cog with a multiplier cog somewhere that could also be applied to first when there is some kind of malfunction.

A long shot but this sort of explains both physical symptoms - rough idle and high-revs/little-progress. Whether there is any mileage in this thought is a different matter!!

Maybe I'm looking for an answer that isn't there to be found, and as has been pointed out all AMGs do this. Can't believe they would let it leave the factory like this though, as it very obviously feels like there's something wrong when it happens.

I'll get my coat...

My dealer had the car for a couple of weeks and supposedly exhausted absolutely every avenue they could. Finally concluded transmission oil needed to be changed (about 51,000 miles). They changed it and in the last two weeks I've only noticed the problem once - and only faintly as I pulled away from the lights just as it was starting. When I mentioned this they got in touch with MBUK technical department.

MBUK technical have advised flushing the fuel tank and lines, as they said water contamination could lead to same symptoms, theory being...

* Over night water and petrol separate. Once engine started, fuel pump draws fluid from tank and greater concentration of water is pulled in to the line from the bottom of tank. Water finally gets to the enginea minute or two into the journey and hence rough idle. Once 'patch' of water has passed it runs OK again.

* Doesn't happen when warm as water fuel not fully separated. Doesn't happen when engine under load (not idle) as it's using more fuel per second and it's drawn through quickly and un-noticed.

I will be monitoring the situation before the tank and lines are flushed as I'm surprised I've only noticed it has raised it's head once since the transmission oil change.

Anyway purpose for posting...

Have you had your transmission oil changed, and have you had this rough idle problem (only from cold, couple of minutes into journey, and only lasts 10 secs or so)??
Old 08-21-2007, 12:56 PM

2005 Silver E55
IC Pump Failure caused by Recall

Originally Posted by RuCuS_81
Ok I have a question. My check engine light came on last week and I took it in and they told me I had to replace the pump. I already paid for it and it was over $700 and now I'm wondeirng if I should have since the recall for the relay is what caused it in the first place. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
I had the same problem a couple weekes ago. I brought my car in with NO PROBLEMS whatsoever except for a routine wheel alignmnet. I of course still had the tranny jerk (02' C32), but I learned to live with it. I was aware of this issue, so I made notice after I got my car back, and sure enough!!! I had the S/C shutoff issue related to the IC Pump failure. The dealer agreed to pay for the PUMP replacement, which was great, but now the car idles rough (very noticeable). What is up??? It is really making me nervous that there is some damage happening to the engine.

Did anyone get the rough idle fixed by the dealer?
Old 09-27-2007, 03:36 PM

Location: dayton ohio hopefully it will be some place warm and sunny when i finish med school
2002 C32 AMG silver & 2003 Lancer Evolution 8 black very moded
i dont think so.... i had the issue... and did a fuel system flush it fixed it for a couple of weeks... but its back im trying to figure this out now
Old 03-16-2008, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
So I just started to have the rough idle and hesitation just today. The car starts to sputter and feels like it wants to turn off. I was at a light and the car seemed to accelerate on its own and the car seemed to hesitate when shifting, didn't seem like the regular tranny jerk that I'm use to. This happened intermittenlty and I was unable to replicate once I got back home from work. Also I have no fault codes. I'm just worried that the car is going to die on me.

I haven't had this problem before and I do not think it's related to the service campaign, but the problems that are described in this thread are identical to what I have been experiencing. From what I've read, no one has come up with a solution. I'm still under warranty and I was taking the vehicle in for some warranty work on monday. I'm going to get them to check it out, but I'm afraid that I'm not going to be able to replicate it and there are no fault codes.

I was thinking that I need to change the spark plugs and maybe wires, but I have about ten thousand miles before I have to do that. Could it be the intercooler or maybe the secondary injector is going bad? What should I do?