Rear Sun Shade?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 12:52 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 AMG, 1999 ML430
Rear Sun Shade?

Does anyone know if a 2002 C32 would be pre-wired for the rear sunshade? Does anyone have an install guide for this procedure?

thanks
ccorley
Old 08-20-2006, 06:04 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
NOT prewired

you need access to stardiagnose in order to be able to make the installed sunshade work when considering a retrofit

greetingz,
Old 08-20-2006, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
The harness is not very long incase you do want a shade. From the rear shade to the rear sam. It does not go all the way to the switch row. Fairly straightforward install.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:07 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 C32 AMG, 1999 ML430
Originally Posted by sunman
The harness is not very long incase you do want a shade. From the rear shade to the rear sam. It does not go all the way to the switch row. Fairly straightforward install.
Hey Sunman, your website is great, lots of very kewel upgrades you have performed! Almost scary infact!

Can you give me some insight on how the rear deck is removed so that I can install the sunshade. Also, can you elaborate on what you said earlier in regards to what a "sam" is. I have the rear motorized sun shade on order, and am very excited about getting it installed. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Do you think the harness could be purchased from my mb dealer?

thanks
ccorley
Old 08-21-2006, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
The removal of the rear deck requires removal of the C pillar covers. Remove the SRS logo and unbolt them. Remove the seats if you non-folding seats. Otherwise fold them down. You will see a couple of clips behind the rear seats that have to be removed as well. Once the C-pillar covers are out, the deck will come out eaisly. It will require a little wiggle. The harness IS available at the dealer. Around 40 dollars. You will also need a relay if I am not mistaken. It's green in color and the weirdest shaped one on the SAM unit. White socket I believe. The SAM = SIGNAL AQUISITION MODULE. It's basically the rear fuse box. You will need to run a harness from the rear drivers side C-pillar to the rear sam. Not a very long run.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:53 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 C32 AMG, 1999 ML430
The removal of the rear deck requires removal of the C pillar covers. Remove the SRS logo and unbolt them. Remove the seats if you non-folding seats. Otherwise fold them down. You will see a couple of clips behind the rear seats that have to be removed as well. Once the C-pillar covers are out, the deck will come out eaisly. It will require a little wiggle. The harness IS available at the dealer. Around 40 dollars. You will also need a relay if I am not mistaken. It's green in color and the weirdest shaped one on the SAM unit. White socket I believe. The SAM = SIGNAL AQUISITION MODULE. It's basically the rear fuse box. You will need to run a harness from the rear drivers side C-pillar to the rear sam. Not a very long run.
I appreciate your help Sunman, as I received the sun shade today I have my dealer looking into the required cable, switch and relay. Once I get the information and parts I will post the necessary part numbers, as there seems to be limited information in regards to this upgrade on any forum.

thanks again!
~ccorley
Old 08-24-2006, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
the switch is not available alone. It's part of teh entire switch row. You will have to state which options you want and order it that way.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:19 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 C32 AMG, 1999 ML430
the switch is not available alone. It's part of teh entire switch row. You will have to state which options you want and order it that way.
Thanks for the heads up on that, my dealer didn't even know that, he thought I could just get the switch, I am waiting for him to research and get back to me. BTW...My seats do fold down, I was happy to see that. I also pulled off the SRS tabs on the C pillar and saw the hex bolts that you mentioned previously. I pulled away the trunk lining just hoping to find a cable to connect to the shade, and there was no justice. The connector on the shade is just a very simple 2 prong connector, so I can imagine that the cable will be easy to run, I hope!

Any idea as to how much that switch row will cost me?

thanks
~ccorley

Last edited by ccorley; 08-24-2006 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
The row should be around 300. Try to get a discount. Also, get one that has all the options you want incase you add something in the future like heated seats or parktronic.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:16 AM

2002 C320 (full AMG styling) - Brilliant Silver / Ash Leather (Orion Grey)
Thanks ccorley, sunman & MBenzNL!

Looking forward to how you get on with this. Please post the part no's once you've got all the bits you need.

Now that I've discovered that the harness only needs to go from the sunshade to the rear SAM this looks easier.

Swapping out the switch row for one with the correct buttons isn't too bad, neither will fitting the new shelf. So looks like I will just need to find someone with Star to finsih this off (& finding the parts at the right price !!!)
Old 08-25-2006, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
Try Potomac for used shades. Most 203's have these shades. Also check ebay. That shade really helps in high heat areas and saves the rear deck from UV as well.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:55 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
The removal of the rear deck requires removal of the C pillar covers. Remove the SRS logo and unbolt them. Remove the seats if you non-folding seats. Otherwise fold them down. You will see a couple of clips behind the rear seats that have to be removed as well. Once the C-pillar covers are out, the deck will come out eaisly. It will require a little wiggle.
Well, thinking this would be easy, I just spent 3 hours getting my rear deck out. I have the folding rear seats, but that means there are bump stops to be removed, along with those rear deck seat unlatched indicators.

I disconnected the rear shade from the deck and reconnected it to power. I put my fingers on the motor and pressed the up/down buttons. I feel current is in the motor, but it refuses to turn at all. Does anyone know if the problem could be in the gearcase? Or the motor itself?

Try Potomac for used shades. Most 203's have these shades. Also check ebay. That shade really helps in high heat areas and saves the rear deck from UV as well.
What's a Potomac? Link please? I haven't called the dealer yet, but I suspect I can't buy just the motor... Anyone know?
Old 08-25-2006, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
www.pgauto.com Try reversing the leads on the shade and see what it does.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:15 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
www.pgauto.com Try reversing the leads on the shade and see what it does.
pgauto doesn't have these, nor does e-bay. Good idea about switching the leads, but it gave no improvement.

So, I swallowed hard, and opened the gearbox. Lots of grease and lubes in there! So, I removed the gears and then hooked the unit to power, thinking if the motor was good, it would spin... and it did!

So, I cleaned all the gears, removing the excess lubrication, putting some of the clean grease aside for use later. All the gears looked just fine, nothing stripped.

I then reassembled the tranny and then hooked it to power. It still worked! OK, good. So I then disassembled it one more time to reintroduce a reasonable amount of lube, then reassembled. It tested successfully again, so I then put it back into the car. Works like a champ, now!

I assume it was gummed up with too much lube.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:44 AM

2002 C320 (full AMG styling) - Brilliant Silver / Ash Leather (Orion Grey)
Excellent, well done. I bet that saved a few $$$

I'll keep trawling ebay to see if one comes up. Any ideas on part no's to look out for?

I did see one on ebay a while back being advertised as being suitable for both the W203 and W211. Would this be correct? Or more likely is the seller trying it on? I would assume the size of the W203 blind would be narrower?

Thanks in advance...
Old 08-30-2006, 12:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
lol - too much lube
Old 08-31-2006, 02:58 PM

2002 C32
Originally Posted by MB-BOB
pgauto doesn't have these, nor does e-bay. Good idea about switching the leads, but it gave no improvement.

So, I swallowed hard, and opened the gearbox. Lots of grease and lubes in there! So, I removed the gears and then hooked the unit to power, thinking if the motor was good, it would spin... and it did!

So, I cleaned all the gears, removing the excess lubrication, putting some of the clean grease aside for use later. All the gears looked just fine, nothing stripped.

I then reassembled the tranny and then hooked it to power. It still worked! OK, good. So I then disassembled it one more time to reintroduce a reasonable amount of lube, then reassembled. It tested successfully again, so I then put it back into the car. Works like a champ, now!

I assume it was gummed up with too much lube.
So how much did the parts set you back, this is something I've wanted to do for a while but the only quote I got was $1K+ and I've had no luck finding the parts via eBay etc.