C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Super Charger grinding noise

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-23-2007, 09:29 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32
Question Super Charger grinding noise

I started getting the SC grinding that has been referenced in multiple threads on the forum. It started about 2 months ago, and has not gone away.

Can anyone provide feedback on their experiences, and is this the beginning of the end of my SC?

If it is the SC going out, what can I expect for labor and replacement of the SC?

I am trying to make the decision to either keep the car and plan on replacing this when it goes, or get in a new car before it fails.

My 02 has 76k, and just about everything else has already been replaced.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 01-23-2007, 03:27 PM
SPONSOR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it will eventually go out...no one can say for sure when...mine has been grinding for 20,000miles now...if you take it to the dealer, you can expect to spend $3000+
Old 01-23-2007, 03:40 PM
Almost a Member!

C32
How many miles do you currently have, and are you sure it's not the idler pully that is causing your noise?
Old 01-23-2007, 03:45 PM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by chyates
How many miles do you currently have, and are you sure it's not the idler pully that is causing your noise?
103,000miles...yes, i am sure it is not the idler pulley, it quits grinding when the supercharger kicks in...
Old 01-23-2007, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
try the kompressor pulley first... then move to the clutch.

I talked to Vadim and he says its a simple swap of the pulley.

if the clutch is bad.. then we will need to find a way to avoid paying an arm and a leg to replace.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:05 PM
Almost a Member!

C32
pics of the kompressor pullye

Originally Posted by TopGun32
try the kompressor pulley first... then move to the clutch.

I talked to Vadim and he says its a simple swap of the pulley.

if the clutch is bad.. then we will need to find a way to avoid paying an arm and a leg to replace.
I took some quick pictures of the area where my noise is coming from. The part they dealer described, and he fax over the picture doesn't look the same.

Is the attached picture attached the kompressor pulley?

Thanks,
Chad
Attached Thumbnails Super Charger grinding noise-dscn1984.jpg   Super Charger grinding noise-dscn1985.jpg  
Old 01-23-2007, 06:07 PM
SPONSOR

I took some quick pictures of the area where my noise is coming from. The part they dealer described, and he fax over the picture doesn't look the same.

Is the attached picture attached the kompressor pulley?

Thanks,
Chad

yes, that is it...
Old 01-23-2007, 06:11 PM
Almost a Member!

C32
Any ideas how to get that thing off? When turning the bolt on the front the entire assembly turns.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:20 PM
SPONSOR

Any ideas how to get that thing off? When turning the bolt on the front the entire assembly turns.
nope, haven't messed with it yet...first thought is an impact gun, though that may not be a good idea, don't want to tear anything up...PM Vadim, he will probably have an idea on how to get it off...
Old 01-23-2007, 06:24 PM
Almost a Member!

C32

I took some sound clips of the noise if anyone is interested. I can't upload the files, but if anyone is interested shoot me an email and I will send them to you.

My email is chadyates@gmail.com

Thanks,
Chad
Old 01-23-2007, 06:27 PM
SPONSOR

I took some sound clips of the noise if anyone is interested. I can't upload the files, but if anyone is interested shoot me an email and I will send them to you.

Thanks,
Chad
sent you an email...i want to hear what yours sounds like...
Old 01-23-2007, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 Designo 030
Hey Chad - responding to your PM...

My SC issue was taken care of after replacing the flange bearing at the front of the SC.

I used a local shop that works on german cars and he charged me $100 for the bearing + labor. My invoice has two PNs: DAC32550023 and 32BG05S1 (automobile bearing). Just google those PNs and you'll find the dims and specs. I searched and this was never tried before... I made a deal with the shop b/c they didn't want to put the S/C back together if they couldn't find an exact replacement. It was either: Find a Bearing that worked or New/Reman SC. I did this in October 05 and no problems so far.

Also, they replaced the 2 rollers, the tensioner, the belt and some gaskets along with the bearing.

My noise was more like a knocking noise. I took a hose and listened to the engine all around... the sound was coming from the front. I'll email you tomorrow so you can send me the sound clip and give you more input.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
I took my '02 in for an unrelated noise and mentioned that one of my pullies was making intermittent sounds. The dealer didn't fix my drivetrain sound but they replaced the S/C pulley, saying it was a TSB. Nice. You should check out Bif Powell's TSB thread. It might be listed there. Mine ended up costing me nothing.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:27 PM

03' E39 M5, 10' CLS63 AMG
i think i can help u out, i sent u a e-mail so u can send me a sound clip of ur S/C and i'll send u instructions on how to remove ur S/C pully

Thanks,
Chad
Old 01-23-2007, 09:27 PM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by ScottW911
I took my '02 in for an unrelated noise and mentioned that one of my pullies was making intermittent sounds. The dealer didn't fix my drivetrain sound but they replaced the S/C pulley, saying it was a TSB. Nice. You should check out Bif Powell's TSB thread. It might be listed there. Mine ended up costing me nothing.

TSB's are only valid if you are under warranty...glad you got it fixed though
Old 01-23-2007, 09:28 PM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by Harry Madan
i think i can help u out, i sent u a e-mail so u can send me a sound clip of ur S/C and i'll send u instructions on how to remove ur S/C pully
send them to me too please

erickgunter@earthlink.net
Old 01-23-2007, 09:52 PM
Almost a Member!

C32 AMG
I just had the exact same problem. thought it was just the belt tensioner.
but it turned out to be not only the tensioner, but also the supercharger clutch, the supercharger pulley and belt tightner. All together cost me 1200 Cdn dollars as my car is out of warrenty already. the dealer gave me 50% off on parts. now i am really debating if i should keep this car
Old 01-24-2007, 09:38 AM
Almost a Member!

C32
Did they replace the entire SC, or just the clutch assembly when you had the repair done. Most posts I have read indicated they had to replace everything to fix the clutch.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:47 AM

MB C32 AMG
Did they replace the entire SC, or just the clutch assembly when you had the repair done. Most posts I have read indicated they had to replace everything to fix the clutch.

Correct, they'll replace the whole thing since MB does not sell the clutch assembly. Cost me $2900 just the SC
Old 01-25-2007, 12:07 AM
Almost a Member!

C32 AMG
for me, only the supercharger clutch was replaced.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:42 AM
Almost a Member!

C32
Based on recommendation to grab and stop the SC from spinning when at idle to indentify where the noise is coming I tried this on my SC.

I put on a nice thick leather glove, and I didn't grab but instead I used the base of my palm to apply pressure to the clutch area.

So when I did get this to stop the spinning mine was still making the grinding noise.

So does this indicate a bad pulley, or clutch? I am guessing this means bad pulley since the clutch is not engaged, and the SC is no longer spinning.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ///AMG4EVER
Hey Chad - responding to your PM...

My SC issue was taken care of after replacing the flange bearing at the front of the SC.

I used a local shop that works on german cars and he charged me $100 for the bearing + labor. My invoice has two PNs: DAC32550023 and 32BG05S1 (automobile bearing). Just google those PNs and you'll find the dims and specs. I searched and this was never tried before... I made a deal with the shop b/c they didn't want to put the S/C back together if they couldn't find an exact replacement. It was either: Find a Bearing that worked or New/Reman SC. I did this in October 05 and no problems so far.

Also, they replaced the 2 rollers, the tensioner, the belt and some gaskets along with the bearing.

My noise was more like a knocking noise. I took a hose and listened to the engine all around... the sound was coming from the front. I'll email you tomorrow so you can send me the sound clip and give you more input.

this is really good info. outstanding work.

so guys:

let's replace the pulley first if you have a grinding noise.

My kompressor keeps shutting off and on and I know my kompressor bearings must be failing.

the 2nd option will be to change the kompressor bearings as posted above. Which will require a bit more work.

Anybody have the part number for the kompressor pulley yet? I have not been able to make it to my parts dept. Also.. do we have to use MB or can we use the Chrysler brand to buy them.

I know they come from the same place, but as we all know MB parts have a premium.

I think we are making progress.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:04 PM
Almost a Member!

C32
I called the dealer, and the part number is 1122020119 they quoted me $90.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:06 PM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by TopGun32
this is really good info. outstanding work.

so guys:

let's replace the pulley first if you have a grinding noise.

My kompressor keeps shutting off and on and I know my kompressor bearings must be failing.

the 2nd option will be to change the kompressor bearings as posted above. Which will require a bit more work.

Anybody have the part number for the kompressor pulley yet? I have not been able to make it to my parts dept. Also.. do we have to use MB or can we use the Chrysler brand to buy them.

I know they come from the same place, but as we all know MB parts have a premium.

I think we are making progress.
if you buy the stuff on line, you can save yourself some money...
Old 01-25-2007, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I called the dealer, and the part number is 1122020119 they quoted me $90.
I just saw your other post. Awsome work.

In my particular case I'm thinking the SC bearings are going bad. So I will replace those.

Just need to find a place who carries them. I tried to google for those bearings DAC32550023 and I found them out of the country.

I'll keep trying..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Super Charger grinding noise