C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Selling C32..RS6 or E55 next?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My ex-cars: 03 E55,04 C32, 05 C55 ,03 E320
Selling C32..RS6 or E55 next?

So my car is getting close to being sold (I'll let the new owner announce himself later)....

I know this is a mercedes forum but, what do you guys think about having an Audi RS6 (4.2 liter Bi turbo) or the E55 ?? both 2003 models.

-On the E55 I can put the ASP pulley
-on the RS6 I can chip the car and squeeze more HP from the turbo.

*disclaimer: those who want say this is a stupid no brainer question, simply ignore this message*
Old 02-06-2007, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by derrick_lui
So my car is getting close to being sold (I'll let the new owner announce himself later)....

I know this is a mercedes forum but, what do you guys think about having an Audi RS6 (4.2 liter Bi turbo) or the E55 ?? both 2003 models.

-On the E55 I can put the ASP pulley
-on the RS6 I can chip the car and squeeze more HP from the turbo.

*disclaimer: those who want say this is a stupid no brainer question, simply ignore this message*
The RS6 is a much sportier car, so if you like a car that handles well, it will certainly be the preferred choice. Better handling and better brakes. Tuning the RS6 will also be cheaper since it's all software and no hardware.

Reliability-wise, I would lean toward the E55, but in either case, a warranty would make sense.

Even though the E55 might be as rare as the RS6, I think the RS6 is likely to hold value better as a quasi-collectible car.

Lastly, the RS6 will be a great all-weather car b/c of the all wheel drive.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:55 PM
SPONSOR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think you will find a better deal on an E55...both are nice cars, just depends on what you want in the end...
Old 02-06-2007, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by 1FASTC32
i think you will find a better deal on an E55...both are nice cars, just depends on what you want in the end...
He'll probably end up with his Dad's old Escalade!
Old 02-06-2007, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
I say the E55. I'm not a big fan on the Audi's interior; well let me rephrase, it's nice, but just not as nice as Mercedes (most anyway).

Performance wise I think they are both pretty competitive, I think the E55 will feel faster, the Audi will corner better. In terms of prestige, I think the E55 has a slight edge -- in the sense of someone who knows nothing about cars will likely appreciate the Benz more. And in terms of resale, I think the Benz will always be higher -- doesn't matter the model, the year, the miles, I think generally Mercedes-Benz and BMW hold higher values than Audi.

Lastly, I think the Supercharger is better than a turbo, and besides, you're used to Benz - stick around.

Tee_Tz.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
Go for the E55...AMG POWER
Old 02-06-2007, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
E55. I don't like AWD cars. I like to be able to steer the car with your right foot.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by newton22
E55. I don't like AWD cars. I like to be able to steer the car with your right foot.
That's hysterical.
Not that you want to steer your car with my right foot, but that you would be driving an S class in such a way that you are actually using throttle induced oversteer to get around corners. When you've got 450HP, you can use a LOT more of it when all wheels are putting the power down. With RWD you either have the traction control working (which ruins all the fun) or you're playing Dukes-of-Hazard with a very expensive toy.

Last edited by Fifth Ring; 02-06-2007 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I have read from previous modded RS6 owners that the power difference is very noticeable between the E55 and RS6.

modded vs modded.. the E55 will win.

the AWD eats too much of the power and your trap speeds will suffer.

I do like the RS6, but styling is getting a bit out dates compared today's standards.

I would not buy either without warranty and extended warranty.. No Way!

if both are priced about the same.. I would take the lower milage car and close to stock to possible.

4.2 bi turbo sounds very appealing... but I can imagine the head aches trying to figure out issues with that engine.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
R129, XF Sportbrake, SC400
Tough decision. I'd got with the E55. One of the advantages of the RS6 is that they seem more rare. How bout an E39 M5?
Old 02-06-2007, 07:43 PM

I would go with the E55, unless you live an area where you need Quattro. The E55 will probably be more fun. However, the RS6 is an awesome machine. My father had the RS6, and the RS6+. I have driven both of them extensively, and really love these cars.

The one thing that really stands out about the Audis is the transmission. The paddle shifters are much more responsive and shifts occur much faster than in the AMG counterparts. This definitely contributes to the sporty feel of the Audis.

Both great cars, but like I said, if you don't need 4-wheel drive, go with the AMG.

BTW, if you decide on the RS6, and want more power. Don't let any tuner touch it besides MTM.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
i say RS6!! I am a fan of audi, and the RS6 is a kinda machine. not saying the E55 isnt, but it has quattro!
Old 02-06-2007, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Either is great but...

I would say the RS6 as you live in MA. The drivetrain and internals can handle a light tuning (60bhp) with absolutely no worries about future reliability. If your looking to hit 600bhp, which many have done, then your going to need some serious $$.

It doesn't make sense to keep such a tuneable car stock, especially when twin turbos are so cheap to tune.

However, two things stopped me buying an 03 RS6 when I got rid of my P-car.
1. The back end (especially the lights) is extremely dated.
2. Dealers ask really stupid prices

If you want to be able to use all your power and race about 24/7/365 then go for the Audi, but if you just want the occasional blast and a car that will impress the valet for years to come then go for the E55
Old 02-07-2007, 03:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
That's hysterical.
Not that you want to steer your car with my right foot, but that you would be driving an S class in such a way that you are actually using throttle induced oversteer to get around corners. When you've got 450HP, you can use a LOT more of it when all wheels are putting the power down. With RWD you either have the traction control working (which ruins all the fun) or you're playing Dukes-of-Hazard with a very expensive toy.
HAHA!!

Get the RS6 I have an E55 and its a really kind of bland car. I think a modded W203 is far more fun to own. The E55 goes zoom zoom down the on ramp.. big deal. In stock form its a pig on any corner. I have re-done the allignment specs to my personal tastes and lowered it a tad and its better but still not that great. Lowering a W211 just means bottoming out when you go around a corner hard. If you DO get an E55 for sure go for a post NOV 2004 build for those cars have the revised shock valving and faster steering rack seen in the CLS55. They make a huge difference.

An RS6 can actually be a sports sedan that goes, stops, AND TURNS!

But be warned the RS6 is on a very old chassis and its actually not that safe in an off-set frontal crash test (check the IIHS test results for this). The RS6 is dated but I still think its one heck of a car.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:22 AM

2003 C32
i'd go with the RS6! vroooooom!
Old 02-07-2007, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Between the two I would personally take the RS6. Why not add the M5 to the list however? I would take that over either of the other 2 choices.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:42 AM

C63 AMG (stock right now), Beach Cruiser (debadged), Piper Cherokee 280 (too much to mention)
not possible

Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
The RS6 is a much sportier car, so if you like a car that handles well, it will certainly be the preferred choice. Better handling and better brakes. Tuning the RS6 will also be cheaper since it's all software and no hardware.

Reliability-wise, I would lean toward the E55, but in either case, a warranty would make sense.

Even though the E55 might be as rare as the RS6, I think the RS6 is likely to hold value better as a quasi-collectible car.

Lastly, the RS6 will be a great all-weather car b/c of the all wheel drive.
An audi holding value and being collectible ???

Take the Benz everyday!
Old 02-07-2007, 10:47 AM

My ex-cars: 03 E55,04 C32, 05 C55 ,03 E320
thanks for the input people!

The v10 M5 is not on the list coz I drive my gf's like everyday. We always drive each others cars. so when I get a new car, my GF's is gonna drive (either the RS6 or E55) a lot too!

Some people may say "once you drive the M5, you cant really drive any other vehicle". I disagree...the M5's engine is high rev "F-1" style as it says....I dunno if its my provlem or what, but Im not a big fan of NA high rev cars...I like FI cars ! I mean the M5 will beat many cars...but the acceleration just doesnt feel as good as..

About the RS6, I have just seen some vids ...it's quick on initial acceleration but it seems that it loses steam as it reaches around like 90 MPH...can an ECU upgrade fix this problem? Can a chipped RS6 beat a stock E55?
Old 02-07-2007, 02:17 PM

A chipped RS6 will take down a stock E55 in a straight line. A stock RS6 will outcorner even a modded E55.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Cops_h8_me!
An audi holding value and being collectible ???

Take the Benz everyday!

We're not talking straight-up resale values across the product line. We're talking about a specific model.

> RS6 engine, brakes and suspension were the highest state of the art from Audi at the time. (E55 was basically a strong engine, which was available in other models.)
> It was produced in very low numbers. (Similar to E55 but even fewer.)
> It was only sold for 2 model years. (E55 sold continuously.)
> No comparable Audi has been sold in the US since it was discontinued. (E55 is soon to be superseded by E63.)
> Audi has a strong and growing racing heritage and lots of enthusiasts are looking for cars that symbolize that heritage. The RS6 itself has a significant racing heritage in Speed World Challenge. (Blue haired ladies don't buy fast cars.)

If you trade an RS6 into CarMax you will not get much, but there is a community of enthusiasts willing to pay top dollar.

Last edited by Fifth Ring; 02-07-2007 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by derrick_lui
thanks for the input people!

The v10 M5 is not on the list coz I drive my gf's like everyday. We always drive each others cars. so when I get a new car, my GF's is gonna drive (either the RS6 or E55) a lot too!

Some people may say "once you drive the M5, you cant really drive any other vehicle". I disagree...the M5's engine is high rev "F-1" style as it says....I dunno if its my provlem or what, but Im not a big fan of NA high rev cars...I like FI cars ! I mean the M5 will beat many cars...but the acceleration just doesnt feel as good as..

About the RS6, I have just seen some vids ...it's quick on initial acceleration but it seems that it loses steam as it reaches around like 90 MPH...can an ECU upgrade fix this problem? Can a chipped RS6 beat a stock E55?

The RS6 does not lose steam at all! It has an extremely balanced power band (primarily due to the dual turbos) and will pull all the way to red-line. Chipping this car is not only excessive, but also stupid IMO. I have driven the RS6s on the German autobahns and in Swiss mountain passes, extensively. I can assure you that the car has plenty of power, and given that you're here in the states, you will probably rarely reach the full potential of this car. With chipping, you only open the door to a littany of warranty and reliability issues. If you decide to get the RS6, I would leave it in stock form. The car is more than perfect in the way that the Quattro GmbH designed it.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by m3_eater
A chipped RS6 will take down a stock E55 in a straight line. A stock RS6 will outcorner even a modded E55.
you sure about that?

the trap speed of a stock RS6 is around 108 to 110 mph.

with chip tunning alone, it will not be able to pick up 8mph of trap speed.

see here..

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ecs_price.html

you will need more mods than just a chip to take down a stock E55.

there are few of members on this board that had modded RS6 and they felt the stock E55 was still faster.

I like the RS6, its rare, AWD and 2 turbos. But it was overpriced in 2003 and probably still overpriced today.

I would take an E39 M5 before the RS6.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:52 PM

C32 AMG - in Pewter
This detailed review is comparing the E55 to RS6 - you may find it very informative as there are two opposite opinions at the end.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...amg/index.html

Last edited by gkstar; 02-07-2007 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by TopGun32

I like the RS6, its rare, AWD and 2 turbos. But it was overpriced in 2003 and probably still overpriced today.
Isn't that the very definition of strong resale value?

I think the price differential between the RS6 and E55 is because the RS6 had so much one-off technology in it (parts not found in any other Audi), and it was produced in smaller numbers. The article demonstrates that the price is not necessarily reflected in performance.

Only 1,000 4.2 twin turbo engines have been sold in the US, a small fraction of the 5.5L supercharged Benz motors sold. Maybe it's not worth paying for rarity, but have you seen a Barrett-Jackson Auction lately? Cars that are awful by today's standards are selling for hundreds of thousands of dollars because they are rare.

Personally, I like a car for what it can do, and I do not like to pay for perceived value (image or rarity). That's one reason that I would be unlikely to buy an RS6. I also believe that when you want a car that can do everything well, you really will be better off getting more than one car. With RS6 money, I could buy a simple, Japanese luxury car, and have enough left over to buy a Mitsu Evo.

Last edited by Fifth Ring; 02-07-2007 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:59 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
the question is not RS6 or E55. The question is if you can even find a good example of the RS6 that people want to sell.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Selling C32..RS6 or E55 next?