C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Resonator is removed and....

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amg C32
Originally Posted by FrankW
yup.
Yes sir.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Originally Posted by ScottW911
Then you'll have an emissions problem. I've also heard that you will have a very noisy car then.

I, personally, was quite happy with the resonator delete alone. Just enough extra sound without the emissions issues.
Yes sir.. Right now, car is not too loud or not too quite.. It's jst what I wanted. If I move the cats, I'm sure I will regret sooner or later.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bicycle
Originally Posted by Quicktwinturbo
Yes sir.. Right now, car is not too loud or not too quite.. It's jst what I wanted. If I move the cats, I'm sure I will regret sooner or later.
quick you will not regret it. i own a c55 and had the rear cats & resonator deleted the sound is great it will not sound to loud as long as you leave the amg mufflers. i just got the kleemann headers & will see how it sounds with no cats.Btw where the cats were i installed an x-pipe.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Originally Posted by c55asleep?
quick you will not regret it. i own a c55 and had the rear cats & resonator deleted the sound is great it will not sound to loud as long as you leave the amg mufflers. i just got the kleemann headers & will see how it sounds with no cats.Btw where the cats were i installed an x-pipe.
Please do post up some vids.. Where I live, we don't have any emission law.. So, If I like the sound, I may go for it.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:36 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

how about some pics of that x-pipe. Did you copy the one that is made by that one italian company which should be gold plated for the cost??? (I forget the name)
Old 09-26-2007, 02:38 PM

Crossfire SRT-6
Originally Posted by c55asleep?
Sorry for my lack of knowledge but why an X-Pipe and not just straight pipes in the place of the rear cats?
Old 09-26-2007, 03:26 PM

Bicycle
Originally Posted by Sidez
Sorry for my lack of knowledge but why an X-Pipe and not just straight pipes in the place of the rear cats?
I was told by the tech in the shop that it will produce just about the right backpressure but without compromising any hp like the cats due.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95 Audi urS6 Quattro
opps.. lol

For C32 owners.. Why is exhaust back pressure matter for you anyway?
Last time when I had cars with a forced induction engine(I've had Rx7, Supra, Audi), I tired to get rid of back pressure much as i can to gain HP...

I've been told that having much less back pressure can do some ill effects on N/A cars though..Removing resonator itself won't do no harm... period...
That is what I am wondering about, I know that is true for turbo cars, but not quite sure about supercharged. On my car I have a 3" turbo back catless, resonatorless pipe to a gutted S4 muffler, the gain from this was massive for me.

But with supercharged cars, the exhaust gases aren't spooled up and ejected at a enormous rate like with a turbo (where it sits on the exhaust manifold while the S/C sits on the intake manifold).

On JaredC43's C43 we removed 2 secondary cats and a resonator, the car sounds sick as well as we noticed a rather Large power gain. Some Mercedes N/A cars have a good amount of restriction, you can remove some things before you have to worry about back pressure. On his car there are still 2 cats and a muffler.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:42 PM
Almost a Member!

C 32 AMG
for the C32 owners part1 & part2
Old 01-29-2008, 12:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG GTS
Resonator and Cat

Dumb Question..
I took my C32 to a local shop to get the Resonator removed, they told me the Cat was within the resonator and it was illegal to remove it.
is this total BS? they seemed to pull up the diagram for the exhaust that showed the cat in the resonator?

with that in mind, how do i make sure i am getting the correct piece removed, i think i saw pictures on here before but i can't find them now.

thanks
Old 01-29-2008, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by Simbad
Dumb Question..
I took my C32 to a local shop to get the Resonator removed, they told me the Cat was within the resonator and it was illegal to remove it.
is this total BS? they seemed to pull up the diagram for the exhaust that showed the cat in the resonator?

with that in mind, how do i make sure i am getting the correct piece removed, i think i saw pictures on here before but i can't find them now.

thanks
Yes its total the C32 has 4 cats and a resonator...AMG-Jerry posted a pic or some other member/s do a search.....removing the resonator voids only the warranty and is not illegal to remove....
Old 01-29-2008, 12:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
CLK Cabrio
yeah just had my res deleted this weekend! car sounds OMG. only way to put it.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:40 AM

2005 C55 AMG
There are some interesting inputs and opinions on this thread. Some of which are way off in their theory.

The simple fact of the matter is this --- An engine is nothing more than a big air pump. The purpose is to get as much air as possible into it and out of it as fast as possible. "Back pressure" is a myth I've been hearing about since I first started racing back in 1991, and I emphasize the word "myth"!

I've had 3 turbocharged Buick Regals since 1991, one of which I still own today ('87 Grand National). Being a forced induction vehicle the last thing on the planet I want would be "back pressure"! I cram as much air as I can into the motor via a large turbo, ported heads/intake, etc, etc! The results are a 231cid V6 producing 461 rwhp with only 18 psi boost, and capable of running low 11's or better w/ more boost. I also run an electric exhaust cutout/dump that diverts all exhaust straight out the side of the car before ever reaching the cat or muffler. The result of running fully open is 1/10+ quicker 1/4 mile times and 1.5mph higher speed at the end of the 1/4. Forced induction engines do not operate on an exhaust pulse as NA engines do, hence why mufflers such as Flowmaster don't work well on them, because of their pulse needing nature.

In order to buy my C55, I traded in my '99 Z28 w/ an LS1 383cid stroker motor. I also had an electric exhaust cutout/dump on it that yielded a 31 rwhp gain on the dyno vs. running it closed and through the muffler. Therefore, by opening up the exhaust I accomplished the following.
1. NO back pressure! 2. exceptional horsepower gains! 3. Very loud V8 tone. 4. and the difference in running 11.70's @ 115mph in the 1/4 mile to running 11.50's in the 1/4 mile @ 118+ mph. (best of 11.43 @ 119.85)
With the exhaust closed the car made 410 rwhp, and open it made 441 rwhp and 448 rwtq. All of this is dyno proven.

Exhaust valves do not need "back pressure" to aid in their function. They do use a scavenging effect, and simply need good springs, lifters, and a proper camshaft(s), and everything will fall into place just fine.

I had contemplated using a cutout(s) on the C55 to help pick up some hp and sound, however after seeing my friend's dyno testing with his C55 by removing the resonator and mufflers, the car only picked up 2 rwhp under the "power umbrella", but it did carry the linear curve a bit further before dropping off. This tells me MB did their homework for the exhaust as far as power is concerned, (assuming you keep the cats in place).
The only thing they really robbed us of is sound, which as shown above, can be resolved by the simple removal of the resonator.

That's my .02..........

Last edited by JToups386; 01-29-2008 at 03:21 AM.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:18 AM
Banned

1996 C36 AMG
Resonator delete is the only worthwhile exhaust mod, you won't make any more power with a catback its already 100% free flowing, AMG has maxed it out. Resonator delete gives the car that perfect rumble it needs under WOT, not too much, not too little, just right. theres no power gains from either resonator delete or catback b/c they are both 100% free flowing, its just a question of volume.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by F1ferrari
Ahhh, very nice...by the way those friggin things get in the way when i stick my arm out the window, it kinda hurts.
Hey there F1ferrari:

I bought mine form E-BAY, for $25. They are a GREAT addtion and as you siad, I REALLY hated my arms getting poked by the cheapy plastics ones. The guy on E-BAY had them at my door in 3 days.

See yeah

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BRABU...spagenameZWDVW

Last edited by MRAMG1; 01-29-2008 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by JToups386
There are some interesting inputs and opinions on this thread. Some of which are way off in their theory.

The simple fact of the matter is this --- An engine is nothing more than a big air pump. The purpose is to get as much air as possible into it and out of it as fast as possible. "Back pressure" is a myth I've been hearing about since I first started racing back in 1991, and I emphasize the word "myth"!

That's my .02..........
DAED ON JToups386

I picked up 0.9 seconds in the 1/4 mile by removing my cats on my blown 91 stang. ANY forced induction motor DOES NOT NEED BACK PRESSURE as you pointed out. It simply kills performace.

See yeah
Old 01-29-2008, 02:17 PM

'05 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Hey there F1ferrari:

I bought mine form E-BAY, for $25. They are a GREAT addtion and as you siad, I REALLY hated my arms getting poked by the cheapy plastics ones. The guy on E-BAY had them at my door in 3 days.

See yeah

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BRABU...spagenameZWDVW
I bought the clk door pins from the dealer a while back...They were like $2 a pin.(just black plastic pins that sit flush when locked)...Be very careful even with these...My girlfriend unlocked the doors while my arm was over the pin and it bruised my tricep.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:04 PM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by F1ferrari
I bought the clk door pins from the dealer a while back...They were like $2 a pin.(just black plastic pins that sit flush when locked)...Be very careful even with these...My girlfriend unlocked the doors while my arm was over the pin and it bruised my tricep.
Do the CLK ones just screw in? No need to take apart the door panel??
Old 01-29-2008, 03:51 PM

Big and Heavy 03 CL
You are not removing cats so i don't see why you will fail the emission inspection. Where I live, we don't have emission law

It will probably only void your resonator / exhaust warrenty.. but really.. what can go wrong?? Make sure you take your car to a good exhaust work shop.

AS for the resonator, I highly doubt that theres any ill effects by removing it. Stock resonator is basically a straight pipe with thick outer layer to tone down the exhaust sound.. By replacing that with a straight pipe will not reduce the back pressure.
I don't know if I have the answer or not but this is my MB warranty experience:
My cats started going bad right around the time I wanted to install my Eisenmann exhaust. MB warned me to get the cats done first under warranty because weld-on mufflers would void the entire exhaust warranty. Aftermarket parts, not matter who makes them, Renn, Brabus, Kleeman, it can affect other parts of the vehicle which in turn can void warranty.
Every dealer could be different so I might be fighting for something that they would willingly do for you...it's an unknown.
As far as emissions testing...does the resonator affect the air quality of exhaust gasses or just the DB's?
Old 01-29-2008, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Originally Posted by Jay9722
As far as emissions testing...does the resonator affect the air quality of exhaust gasses or just the DB's?
As has been stated, the resonator is just a secondary muffler, nothing else. I have mine in my garage and I've inspected it carefully. I can say, quite surely, it is just another muffler!
Old 01-29-2008, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E36M3 race car/Ferrari F355 GTS/1973 Mini 1275GT/Fiat Abarth/ML63/SLK55
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
If I delete my resonator, will I hear the sound of a screaming V8 too? I'm guessing that I'll still be hearing the flatulance of a low-tech supercharged V6!
last week i took out mine and was very pleasantly suprised at the tone of my flatulent v6 through the supersprint muffler.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:21 PM

2005 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by ScottW911
As has been stated, the resonator is just a secondary muffler, nothing else. I have mine in my garage and I've inspected it carefully. I can say, quite surely, it is just another muffler!
You are correct sir! The resonator is simply a sound deadening device, and serves no other purpose. The emissions are controlled through the catalytic converters --- not the resonator, nor the muffler. In most states the law is written to say a vehicle must have a "sound muffling" device on it, which is what the muffler(s) do. The resonator and/or mini bullet style mufflers upstream from the actual mufflers are all secondary muffling devices and are not required by law. MB and other luxury vehicle makers add these extensive other devices because most of their customers don't want to hear any exhaust noise in their luxury cruisers.
Of course there are many of us who like a little rumble w/ our luxury, so we are able to achieve this by removing the resonator, etc, without any legal ramifications.

I have not gone underneath yet to look at mine, but when I do finally put it up on a rack I will see if I can use another straight piece of exhaust tubing to replace the resonator without any cutting or welding, assuming it's all a slip-fit setup.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E36M3 race car/Ferrari F355 GTS/1973 Mini 1275GT/Fiat Abarth/ML63/SLK55
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
DAED ON JToups386

I picked up 0.9 seconds in the 1/4 mile by removing my cats on my blown 91 stang. ANY forced induction motor DOES NOT NEED BACK PRESSURE as you pointed out. It simply kills performace.

See yeah
i picked up 0.009 sec by removing all spare change and taking a dump ( relieving my personal backpressure). i assure you both these mods work.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:16 PM

'05 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by dkflipse
Do the CLK ones just screw in? No need to take apart the door panel??
Just unscrew the old ones and screw in the new ones.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by AWDman
i picked up 0.009 sec by removing all spare change and taking a dump ( relieving my personal backpressure). i assure you both these mods work.
Not bad my friend. I'll try them next time at the track

See yeah

Oh you're a reaL PIP

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Resonator is removed and....