Any former E46 M3 drivers here?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
Any former E46 M3 drivers here?

How did you do with the transition? Is there anything you miss, or do you not regret a thing? Anyone eventually go back to the M3?
Old 08-06-2007, 07:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by rory breaker
How did you do with the transition? Is there anything you miss, or do you not regret a thing? Anyone eventually go back to the M3?
Hey there:

I had the E46 motor in a M roadster if that qualifies, and I also had a 2002 M3 coupe for a little while.

Anyway, I can assure you that I will NEVER go back to BMW. The AMG's get BETTER milage, yes I did say BETTER as many people here argued this point. I can only say that MY BMW's got really POOR milage compared to the C32.

I won't argue that the M3 might be better on the track with the six speed, but for the 1 or 2 days out of the year, I will GLADLY take my C32 over either one of them for everyday fun factor.

I also thought the interiors, fit and finish and LACK of buttons, was NOT for me. I LIKE TOYS when I drive to play with

Oh well, put me down as one HAPPY AMG Owner

See yeah
Old 08-06-2007, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes
Looks like I'll be going from an 02 M3 to an 06 C55...its funny to read the various threads on M3 forums and Benz forums where people have their bias and make ridiculous arguments for/against. Thanks for the insight!!!

My M3 is fully loaded, I really like the interior with the Nav and everything. You make a great point though...it is a bit bumpy, and when I drive it hard (which is nearly never) its a blast. For those 2 days out of the year, it may have an advantage, but for the daily grind the C55 is attractive.

Anything specific you miss or dont miss?
Old 08-06-2007, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cee Fiddy Five
One of my close friends has an E46 M3...his with the SMG tranny. He let me drive it around, and while it is fun I find the ride too harsh and I really didn't like the SMG.

When I was looking for a car, I test drove a 6 speeder, and while that was much better (though not by much...my upshifts are smooth...but going down is another story!) the ride was still...not something I would want to experience every day.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:55 AM

2006 Mercedes C55 AMG
My best friend had a 2004 M3 and now a 2003 M5 and when I was looking at cars I considered a M3. However looking at the car from the outside (it's beautiful) but the interior didn't speak the price of the car. The other thing after speaking to my friend about the M3, he stated the M3 is basically a street legal race car. The C55 is a street legal car ready to race. He also said that although he loved the M3, he hated the ride as it was fun when you're playing but it sucked in the normal daily grind. Also that it didn't have folding rear seats (at least his didn't) and that the amenities were to be desired. He also said the SMG stunk and it was very rough and that he was curious about the longevity of the engine.

I picked the C55 because I'd rather ride in style rather than just be screaming fast. If I wanted screaming fast I would have bought a vette.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Looks like I'll be going from an 02 M3 to an 06 C55...its funny to read the various threads on M3 forums and Benz forums where people have their bias and make ridiculous arguments for/against.
Of course that is always the case. People are very defensive of their decisions, especially when large sums of money are involved. Who wants to spend $50,000 on a car and then go on and on about the one you didn't buy? I always expect the (fill in the blank) kool-aid drinkers at the (fill in the blank) sites.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Looks like I'll be going from an 02 M3 to an 06 C55...its funny to read the various threads on M3 forums and Benz forums where people have their bias and make ridiculous arguments for/against. Thanks for the insight!!!

My M3 is fully loaded, I really like the interior with the Nav and everything. You make a great point though...it is a bit bumpy, and when I drive it hard (which is nearly never) its a blast. For those 2 days out of the year, it may have an advantage, but for the daily grind the C55 is attractive.

Anything specific you miss or dont miss?
I do miss the responsiveness at the limits, that is the BMW required you to be a more skilled driver to handle at its limts, and yes a clucth is wonderful when you REALLY won't to play. Of course I miss the button to put the top down on my little M, as I really love convertiables.

The C32 is a MUCH more cilvilized BEAST. You have to really F___ up to hurt yourself, pardon my French. But for a day in day out car, I am MUCH more happy with the little C32.

If I was single again, I would have kept the M roadster, but alas, kids have there way in these decsions

All esle being said they really are different cars for differnet folk, I was just amazed at the level of gadgets that the AMG has inside. The M's are truely a lets get busy car no nonsense car, which is not a bad thing, but to truely enjoy them, they do their best at their limits.

As I mentioned, I LOVE MY AMG, and will own a AMG from now on, period.

They give you enough of everything to make them a TRUELY world class car, IMO

See yeah
Old 08-06-2007, 02:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had a good bit of experience with both, and have to say I personally prefer the no-nonsense driving experience of the BMW (in fact, just about any BMW) to the Mercedes. However, I just can't get past the immature boy-racer exterior of the M3, and the lack of quality in the materials of the interior. Unless your going to track your M3 regularly, a C32/55 will offer much more for your money!
Old 08-06-2007, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by m3_eater
However, I just can't get past the immature boy-racer exterior of the M3, and the lack of quality in the materials of the interior.
I think the exterior styling of the E46 M3 is stunning. I know this is subjective, I've just never heard anyone call it "immature-boy racer" before. The drivers on the other hand....
Old 08-06-2007, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203, W211, W219, W212
.. its funny to read the various threads on M3 forums and Benz forums where people have their bias and make ridiculous arguments for/against.
Let me guess.. "MB sucks at handling", "wait until you're in the twisties" and "auto tranny". That's way old. Do some research and you can find that E46 M3 doesn't make any better track time than C55 at Nurburgring. They both finished at 8:22.
If you're going to use this car as a daily driver then C55 is the way to go.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Silver 2002 C32, Silver 2006 CLK 350
My buddy traded his M3 for an A4 not fast but the ride is better for everyday. he told me the M3 got real bad gas milage and the ride was to harsh.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
I drove the M3 for a few days. Felt like the fillings in my top teeth were jarring loose.

Last edited by ScottW911; 08-06-2007 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:12 AM

as a current M3 owner I can add a few perspectives...

-The ride is a bit harsh on rough roads, comparable to my old RSX. At 43k there have been some annoying rattles (probably resulting from the rigidness) that i've had to take care of. An adjustable suspension setting like volvo and others use would have been a welcome idea, although its nowhere near as intolerable as some are making it out to be unless youve never driven a sport compact before.

-The interior does have a few areas plauged by cheap plastics (creaky door armrests), but overall its a very clean looking and functional layout. Theres no lack of buttons either, everything is there from the bluetooth controls on the wheel to the hifi audio button. My main grievance against MB is that their interiors always look 5+ years out of date (although the C55 and recent models are a large improvement). Not to say the gadgets arent there, but the stereo and climate controls remind me of a GM at times.

-I get a consistent average of 21 MPG driving about 65% highway. Definitley not complaining in that department considering the output.

Ive always admired the pure power and refined ride characteristics of AMG models. However, not having the option of a manual tranny has ruled them out for me at this time in my life. I can say as of lately though, MBs are becoming more and more attractive. Their interiors are finally up to date, whereas BMW is making them increasingly odd and unattractive in the E60 and E92. Exteriors are showing more character on the MB side, while BMW is slowly making them blend in with the crowd. Both manufacturers are putting out some impressive motors, all we need now is for AMG to realize how many M loyalists they can acquire by offering a manual tranny. The E60 M5 nearly failed because of the initial SMG-only tranny option.

The reason im on these boards right now is to check out the C230 Ks (05) as a possible budget oriented replacement for my M, as my priorites are shifting towards saving some money for awhile. I'm looking forward to learning a little more info on the AMG lineup as well while im here. I didnt even know the 55 was even available in the C-class until today, haha. I guess ive got some reading to do here
Old 08-07-2007, 02:29 AM

07 E550, 02 C32, 91 300E
Well Mercedes did the financial analysis awhile ago and found that it wasn't worth producing a manual along side the auto since over 90% of their potential buyers would pick the auto when they had a choice. Look at Maserati putting a slushbox in their Quattroporte since the sequential got so many complaints. I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but "true" manuals are being phased out, just look at the money Audi and BMW are putting into DSG style transmissions.

Anyways back on topic. My friend has had (in order) a 1988 e30 M3, 1999 e36 M3, 2005 e46 M3 SMG, 1991 NSX (current), and another 1999 e36 M3 (current). His least favorite was the e46 by far since it weighed so much and didn't feel like it was worth what he paid for it. The NSX is the weekend car and the e36 is the beater (haha). Out of all the cars I've taken rides in, I think the e36 rides the best and seems to be the best daily driver--moreso than the e46 (due to the SMG and ride with 19's). He still likes the NSX over all of the Bimmers, except for the tiny trunk.

But he likes how cheap/easy/convenient my C32 is for modding, thinks that it is way more of a sleeper, and likes how it gets way less ricer attention than his NSX or any M3.

I agree with the climate control analysis by MCeasar84. I just drove the 08 C350 at the C-class event thing in SF and that car's interior is a quantum leap above mine. The COMAND/nav being sourced from the S-class is great and the dials for controlling everything (including climate) are awesome.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by MCesar84
as a current M3 owner I can add a few perspectives...

-The ride is a bit harsh on rough roads, comparable to my old RSX. At 43k there have been some annoying rattles (probably resulting from the rigidness) that i've had to take care of. An adjustable suspension setting like volvo and others use would have been a welcome idea, although its nowhere near as intolerable as some are making it out to be unless youve never driven a sport compact before.

-The interior does have a few areas plauged by cheap plastics (creaky door armrests), but overall its a very clean looking and functional layout. Theres no lack of buttons either, everything is there from the bluetooth controls on the wheel to the hifi audio button. My main grievance against MB is that their interiors always look 5+ years out of date (although the C55 and recent models are a large improvement). Not to say the gadgets arent there, but the stereo and climate controls remind me of a GM at times.

-I get a consistent average of 21 MPG driving about 65% highway. Definitley not complaining in that department considering the output.

Ive always admired the pure power and refined ride characteristics of AMG models. However, not having the option of a manual tranny has ruled them out for me at this time in my life. I can say as of lately though, MBs are becoming more and more attractive. Their interiors are finally up to date, whereas BMW is making them increasingly odd and unattractive in the E60 and E92. Exteriors are showing more character on the MB side, while BMW is slowly making them blend in with the crowd. Both manufacturers are putting out some impressive motors, all we need now is for AMG to realize how many M loyalists they can acquire by offering a manual tranny. The E60 M5 nearly failed because of the initial SMG-only tranny option.

The reason im on these boards right now is to check out the C230 Ks (05) as a possible budget oriented replacement for my M, as my priorites are shifting towards saving some money for awhile. I'm looking forward to learning a little more info on the AMG lineup as well while im here. I didnt even know the 55 was even available in the C-class until today, haha. I guess ive got some reading to do here
Okay, having owned one to, I would like to know where all the little buttons and gadgets are on a M? I had the optional Harmon Kardon stereo, which was garbage by the way, and the dash is just TOO plain. The temperature controls are 3 knobs you rotated for heat/ac, air blowing position, and fan comntrol.

Now that being said, have you ever seen a C32 dash with NAV? It looks amazing! Hell this is the first car that I have EVER read the manual for!!

Moving to the sterring wheel, where are the M's buttons? Let alone scrolling through the different read outs?

Oh well, don't mean to , I just think the M's LACK ALOT when it comes to the interior, by the way, which is all you see of your toy when you are driving

Enough said, I'll Keep my AMG

See yeah

PS: I averaged 16 in the M raodster and 18 in the coupe
My C32 gets 19.6, and according ot my G-tech is faster 0-60 then BOTH of the M's, FYI
Old 08-07-2007, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
The more recent M3's have a lota gadgets in them too...
Old 08-07-2007, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by MercedesFTW
The more recent M3's have a lota gadgets in them too...
Glad to hear it, as I like to play as I pay, at $3+ a gallon

See yeah
Old 08-07-2007, 01:01 PM

Dials on the E46? On the M Coupe and roadster, yeah. Buts its all digital on the E46 M's. The info readouts were consolidated to the display within the speedo for the E46, so yeah that may give an impression that something is lacking. The toggle is as simple as pushing inwards on the turn signal switch. I dont have navi, so can't really comment on the complexity of that. The M Coupe/Roadster arent meant to be in the league of the C32/55, moreso the equally basic appointed SLK32 AMGs

M Coupe and Roadster use the E36 motor with 240hp so yeah, of course the C32 will be the winner. Heck, I worked pretty hard to overtake an SLK32 AMG in my E46 for that matter. M cars make all their power up high so if you like to drive hard, your MPG probably takes a more massive hit than with a AMG where you dont have to rev. I know forum members that do well below 16 and some consistently in the 22-23 range that drive like grandmas. But thats not what we bought these cars for anyway
Old 08-07-2007, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by MCesar84
Heck, I worked pretty hard to overtake an SLK32 AMG in my E46 for that matter.
The SLK32 has less weight and 349bhp 332lb/ft. They're usually quicker than the M3 in a straightline.

Nice E46 M3 by the way, that car still has stop and stare styling even six years after its release.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
[
M Coupe and Roadster use the E36 motor with 240hp so yeah, of course the C32 will be the winner. Heck, I worked pretty hard to overtake an SLK32 AMG in my E46 for that matter. M cars make all their power up high so if you like to drive hard, your MPG probably takes a more massive hit than with a AMG where you dont have to rev. I know forum members that do well below 16 and some consistently in the 22-23 range that drive like grandmas. But thats not what we bought these cars for anyway [/QUOTE]

Ah, NO SIR:

The 2001 and 2002 M roadster's have the E46 motor, albeiat rated at 315 HP, so NO they should have been right there, being smaller/lighter.

and as far as milage goes, I can only related MY experiences. I even took my cars to Sewickly BMW thinking there was something wrong with the, other than my LEAD foot

Oh well don't want to argue, yes like AMG's ALOT MORE

See yeah
Old 08-07-2007, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes
Good feedback guys. I just sold my E46 so I am very familiar with them...mine was beautiful, fully loaded. I thought it was pretty feature rich, but I dont have a C55 to compare it to.

I think for the most part, when I drive a C55 it lacks a certain excalamation that the M3 has. Just some little pizzazz...not sure what it is. Low end is great, smooth ride, much more comfortable. I love the seats too. Interesting to hear everyones feedback on the comparisons, keep em coming. I am a bit worried that I will miss the rawness of the E46, the sportiness, compared to the luxo that the c55 offers.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:05 PM

All this talk has me itching for the upcoming 135i. It's about time BMW produced a clean, (relatively) lightweight design again. A proper successor to the 2002 and E30 3-series. I want 3200lbs or less, a six-speed, manual seats, knobs for AC controls, and no iDrive/active steering/AWD/whatever-else-they-can-throw-in-the-car...
Old 08-07-2007, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203, W211, W219, W212
I think for the most part, when I drive a C55 it lacks a certain excalamation that the M3 has. Just some little pizzazz...not sure what it is. Low end is great, smooth ride, much more comfortable. I love the seats too. Interesting to hear everyones feedback on the comparisons, keep em coming.
AMG stated that there's no need to have two M3s in the world, that's why they were created differently. If you feel that you need to have all the features you had previously on your M3, then go buy another M3.
What's the point of going to the other side if you end up having the same thing ?
Old 08-07-2007, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes
I dont feel like I have to have all the features, I simply want to know what people have noticed in their transition to a C55.

"The pickup is way better at speed"
"The interior is put together much better"

etc etc. I have gotten great feedback so far, thanks.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:26 AM
lap

2002 c32
to M or not to M....

that was my question for the longest time...and i went back to bmw. This comparison question has been to death so many times.... and that IMHO reflects the true answer : the vehicles are very different yet consistently attract similar (or sometimes the same buyer). If i had to pick the single best attribute of each:
AMG = one of BEST ENGINES i've ever owned (and possibly ever made!)
M3 = one of Best Chasis (Well balanced and beyond fun!)
Either way if you choose one, you will always yearn/hate some characteristic of the other.
Cheers!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Any former E46 M3 drivers here?