C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

A turning point in Mercedes tuning...Performance Supercharger Pulley

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Originally Posted by c32used
I am not by any means a mechanic or an engine engineer but those popped in my head and I am asking cause what if those are issues then you can address them right? Should I just stay mute and let things happen and not give my concerns? Should I just PM them to you? I write them cause I am concern that a closed hood with an engine thats been running for a while will create very hot air under the hood and the third entry openned by this mod is sucking in that air and mixing it with the other two that will mostly be colder air right? You thought of a mod thats beneficial and I think it cool but have concerns and I get treated this way for asking....Like I wrote you must think I dislike you...Gl with your products
Our air boxes sit on top of the engine and probably soak up and transmit a lot of heat into the intake air. We could avoid it by having completely external air intake systems bolted to the outside of the car! There are always compromises. The proof is in the data. If Code 3 makes the mods available separately, then they can be bought separately and they can be tested separately.

Personally, I find the intake mod to be a little bit "hack" looking. It reminds me of the days (30 years ago!) when we would find a cookie tin lid and use that in place of the round air filter cover, opening up the top of the filter. Like this mod, it made for great intake noises!

But I'm not going to grill Code 3 over the IAT effects of the mod. It is what it is.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
These are logical concerns and some may not say anything while others will and I am an other...not everyone thinks of these probabillities so the ones that do should say them and have them addressed right? My was a concern thats all and its hard to believe its taken as anything else...
Your concerns are very helpful for all of us members if not Brandon. That's why I visit the forums quite often.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:50 AM

C32
+1

This is a good time for things to get tested and justified. A dyno graph is one but not the only prove to it. All of us respect the dynograph and as soon as the first pic of the intake mod came out, I feel excited about it and nearly went ahead and made the purchase. After a serious of thoughts and discussion, I want to hear more before buying it.

The more question asked and addressed, the stronger it is. Not saying anything bad to the intake mod, just concerns which needed to be addressed.

These are logical concerns and some may not say anything while others will and I am an other...not everyone thinks of these probabillities so the ones that do should say them and have them addressed right? My was a concern thats all and its hard to believe its taken as anything else...

Last edited by cnchung; 05-06-2008 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:07 PM

'03 C32, '08 ML63
Originally Posted by AMGSC
Your concerns are very helpful for all of us members if not Brandon. That's why I visit the forums quite often.
+1... I don't post a lot but I read a lot. I think you're raising good points and asking them in a courteous non-inflamatory manner. And you're right that this is exactly what the forum should be for.

--Biscuit
Old 05-06-2008, 12:25 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
I couldnt agree more. I feel that opening a thread like this without proper data in the first place is just opening a can of worms.

Like others have said, focus on the product and get the results. Then post.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:14 PM

Not an AMG :(
Originally Posted by loungn14
......I feel that opening a thread like this without proper data in the first place is just opening a can of worms........Like others have said, focus on the product and get the results. Then post.
I'm not sure where this is coming from, but if one starts at the beginning of this thread (which was originally about the smaller supercharger pulley), the data and results were disclosed. As with all other R&D or product threads, additional data were asked by other forum members. The problem with huge threads like this one is that data and results get buried, forgotten, misinterpreted, etc.
I challenge you to find another active R&D thread on our forum with absolute satisfactory data and results.

Let's focus on the issue at hand:
Especially as it pertains to Brandon’s intake modification, I encourage y'all to read other threads within other sub-forums within MBWorld. e.g the “1000 HP AMGs” thread over in the W211 AMG section. Check out their filter setup. Read their strategy to alleviate the intake of hotter air. They are going to use heat shielding to try and isolate some of the heat. Guess what? – we can’t do that unless we go with a setup that is already in use over in the SRT6 world (aka the ‘Needwings intake mod’). Nobody over here (C32ers) have been even mildly interested in this setup. In fact, unflattering comments have been used to describe it here.
Why? Because it takes away from the stock look. Our intake is right up against the firewall and there isn’t anything really practical that we can do about it (save for an attempt to shoe-horn some shielding in there).

That’s just looking at the aesthetic side of it. What about performance? Weight differences aside – again, look at the SRT6 guys. They are achieving their significant performance superiority over the C/SLK32 by using some mods that may look crude but certainly appear to perform well. Yet again, that isn’t what we MB owners generally strive for.

All that said, let’s try and address the heat issue with this intake modification:
Every modification out there for our cars has been designed with the caveat that compromises must be made. Think about what we drive!
Is hotter air entering the system? YES.
Has this issue been addressed? YES – as well as it can be right now.
As alluded to ad nauseum, a larger heat exchanger will work wonders. Go one step further – get phenolic spacers. Brandon also offers thicker spacers.
Does this intake mod increase performance? YES (5rwhp on a mostly stock car and ~13rwhp with the smaller SC pulley).
Are IATs increased? YES (in conjunction with the larger HE – about 5-7 degrees upon full boost).
Are IATs the only determinant of performance? NO (intake restriction is very important - that's something this intake modification addresses).

Come on guys – any modification begets a yin and yang scenario. You give up something to get something.
With all this talk of cutting holes in the hood to provide cold air, it got me thinking…..Without coming off as being condescending, do we want our cars to look like #1 or #2? I used to think Mad Max’s car was cool - eventually I grew up and became more refined.

If we can mostly agree that #2 is our car of choice, then we have to design modifications that use existing parts if we don’t want to spend a fortune.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Hey c32used. I do not think anyone was knocking you my friend. They were just informing Brandon let the results speak for themselves. I feel you are reading alittle bit too much into this thread. I apprecieate your opion, and have agreed with you on alot of threads my friend. Relax, its not an attack my friend.

See yeah

PS: Have a coke and a smile

Okay beer, sorry for the cliche
Old 05-06-2008, 01:36 PM

2003 C32 AMG, 2003 E39 M5
+1

Originally Posted by AMGSC
Old 05-06-2008, 02:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1991 Toyota MR2, 2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Hey c32used. I do not think anyone was knocking you my friend. They were just informing Brandon let the results speak for themselves. I feel you are reading alittle bit too much into this thread. I apprecieate your opion, and have agreed with you on alot of threads my friend. Relax, its not an attack my friend.
+2²

Settle down cupcake. Simply stated, this threads gone off track but your opinions do have valid concern but you've exhausted the argument. It's still only your words versus Code3's. I simply emphasized Fifth Ring's post as a means to let everyone know that cars are built differently, maintained differently and thus performance modifications will have varying results from car to car. We need first hand experience once the product has been delivered so we can see if a few degrees of IAT's make the difference or not.

Fantastic post boohooramblers.

In other news, does anyone have plans on using this product in conjuction with the crank pulley offered by LET or others?

Last edited by turbo16lbs; 05-06-2008 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:14 PM

03 c32
Originally Posted by turbo16lbs
+2²

... does anyone have plans on using this product in conjuction with the crank pulley offered by LET or others?
^ x2

C3P: Please provide a documented answer
Old 05-06-2008, 02:24 PM

RENNtech C32 AMG
I think the Code3 intake is a great step in the right direction for the performance tuning of our engines! Sure there Will be negatives in all types of modifications, but lets not focus too much on the negative, and allow it to overshadow the big picture, the much improved HP! Lets just look at all the pro's and the con's, and find ways of improving this intake and allow for it to evolve into something even better. Heck no one or anything is perfect, evolution takes time, thought and engineering. And as a show of good business, the evolution of Brandon's products have shown themselves through his R&D and on his website.
Good job on your progress Brandon
BTW, I'm not endorsing the Code3performance products through any kind of affiliation through Brandon or from the use of his products. (just to clear that up)
Old 05-06-2008, 02:35 PM

RENNtech C32 AMG
on a side note, I've taken a look at where the intake sits, and I thought of utilizing the vented grill above it by cutting an opening from under the hood where the intake sits. It's kind of like a cowl induction intake. My concern was that water would get through, unless some form of baffle is used to rout the water to the sides. Also the foam / plastic heat shield that is used on many battery's, can be cut and made to rout the cooler air from the opening and route the air to Code3's inlet.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:40 PM

RENNtech C32 AMG
one more idea, and then I'll shut up. Lets find a way to incorporate the SL55 splitter into the Code3 intake design to maximize their efficiency's
Old 05-06-2008, 02:53 PM

Hard to believe? I usually just lurk around here, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a more hypocritical poster in two seperate threads. In the twin turbo project thread, you're practically licking nuts, but in this thread you go off on post after post of negativity.

In the other thread you admonish another poster when he says something critical, and tell him to go elsewhere and stop raining on their parade. You even want to fly out and help the build process! Here it's like you want to see the project fail. You didn't ask one critical question in the other thread, and that project (while looks promising) has so many holes it's almost silly.

As someone else said, let the guy finish the project and let the consumer decide if they thinks it's viable.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by calimax
on a side note, I've taken a look at where the intake sits, and I thought of utilizing the vented grill above it by cutting an opening from under the hood where the intake sits. It's kind of like a cowl induction intake. My concern was that water would get through, unless some form of baffle is used to rout the water to the sides. Also the foam / plastic heat shield that is used on many battery's, can be cut and made to rout the cooler air from the opening and route the air to Code3's inlet.
Not to over-think it, but maybe the solution (to a problem that may not exist!) is a baffle of foam built onto the bottom of the hood. If you could block some of the airflow from the engine/front with a little air dam that extends from the hood down to the s/c housing, maybe you could force more air to be pulled in from behind the engine and less pulled over the engine. The air junction sits right at the back, and if you block it to the front, it may seriously influence the IAT. Of course, you'd only know if you did some mock up testing. (Patent Pending, all rights reserved.)

Last edited by Fifth Ring; 05-06-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:40 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by indyjoe
Hard to believe? I usually just lurk around here, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a more hypocritical poster in two seperate threads. In the twin turbo project thread, you're practically licking nuts, but in this thread you go off on post after post of negativity.

In the other thread you admonish another poster when he says something critical, and tell him to go elsewhere and stop raining on their parade. You even want to fly out and help the build process! Here it's like you want to see the project fail. You didn't ask one critical question in the other thread, and that project (while looks promising) has so many holes it's almost silly.

As someone else said, let the guy finish the project and let the consumer decide if they thinks it's viable.
Hum interesting....

But in the TT thread, they aren't selling anything to the masses. I personally feel that he is just stating some questions and bettering the education of the masses, not to mention possibly even making the product better in the long-run. Im sure that Code3 invites questions like this, so that they can better the product and put all questions aside.

just my 2 cents...
Old 05-06-2008, 03:59 PM

Hum interesting....

But in the TT thread, they aren't selling anything to the masses. I personally feel that he is just stating some questions and bettering the education of the masses, not to mention possibly even making the product better in the long-run. Im sure that Code3 invites questions like this, so that they can better the product and put all questions aside.

just my 2 cents...
obv, they're planning on selling to the masses as well.

and code3 did invite the questions, but when do the questions become an attack?
Old 05-06-2008, 04:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1991 Toyota MR2, 2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
(Patent Pending, all rights reserved.)
lol.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
...but when do the questions become an attack?
... or an endless string of permutations based on the variety and combination of mods that a person may have, and how the Code3 products may or may not be influenced by them.

Nobody calls up K&N and expects them to answer hypothetical questions on how their product will interact with other products, and whether there is a better product... Buy it, try it, and report back.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by MRAMG1

See yeah

PS: Have a coke and a smile

Okay beer, sorry for the cliche
Sorry I should have been smart enough to know what you guys are thinking...I have interests with both the S/C pulley and this so that is why I am into this thread....not to bash anyone...
Old 05-06-2008, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002

I take by your 2 posts that you think you know me...In the TT project I am interested but can't see investing that kind of dough in my daily driver at the moment so I look for subtle solutions to power without adding headers, cams, NOS or larger pulley and what C3P offers is right up my alley in those terms since basically everything installed in our C32 is worth crap to others looking for these cars...I read your post and I feel like you are trying to say I am like an LET agent trying to bash C3P...Well let me say this once and for all "I am not"...I provide many hours and money to do simple tests for our cars so you ALL can find what works best....keep your conspiracy theory to yourself!
Old 05-06-2008, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
... or an endless string of permutations based on the variety and combination of mods that a person may have, and how the Code3 products may or may not be influenced by them.

Nobody calls up K&N and expects them to answer hypothetical questions on how their product will interact with other products, and whether there is a better product... Buy it, try it, and report back.
Fifth why is there an issue with my questioning? I have been on here about 2+years now and always asked questions and gave answers when I had them. So what am I doing wrong?? As I stated before I have interests in both pulley and intake mod...and based off that I have concerns cause don't desire to waste my money..so I ask my concerns....please whats wrong with that?
Old 05-06-2008, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Hum interesting....

just my 2 cents...
Be careful before you are referred to as an LET operative...
Old 05-06-2008, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Not to over-think it, but maybe the solution (to a problem that may not exist!) ]
But it may exist so my concerns right.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by calimax
BTW, I'm not endorsing the Code3performance products through any kind of affiliation through Brandon or from the use of his products. (just to clear that up)
Good one if not you will be stereotyped into being a C3P operative...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: A turning point in Mercedes tuning...Performance Supercharger Pulley