C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

A turning point in Mercedes tuning...Performance Supercharger Pulley

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 SLK 32 AMG
great job code 3. i'm also wondering wat if someone has the 181 or the 185 pullies will they work? or do they have to go back to the stock pullies??
Old 05-08-2008, 10:48 PM

07 E550, 02 C32, 91 300E
Originally Posted by TopGun32
quick update..

the intake mod is great but I needed to muffle the sound just a bit.

Easy fix.!

Used electrical black tape over the outside of the cage and left a nice rectangle in the middle. I think it was 2 x 8 square opening.

see post #336 to see what I'm talking about

This way I can keep the intake and enjoy some of its benefits.

The sound is more muffled now and still keep throttle response.

Now if I want more sound or need the extra air.. I can simply remove the tape.
Good idea, this is something that might be useful on long trips etc. Brandon, maybe you could design two different shrouds for the filter (at a price option of course)? One with the full opening like there already is and a 2nd snap on that restricts the inlet?
Old 05-08-2008, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W210 E55 & W204 C63
Originally Posted by D_Star
Just checked back with the thread, all I can say is WOW! the SC pulleys look amazing!

So can any one tell me what's the Max Boost our SC can hold up to?

I remember reading some where the stock pulley make 15.4psi max, is this correct?

Now with the Code3 SC pulley running 15.61 psi (pulley only) and 16.44 psi (pulley and intake), can I assume that the Code3 SC pulley is safe for our cars?

How much boost does the crank pulley make, for those with the LET 181mm crank pulley?

I am sorry if I had missed anything mentioned previously. Thank you all.

A few posts above yours the C3P guy mensions using a 179mm with his SC pulley on an SRT-6 crossfire and he was getting 19.5 psi
Old 05-08-2008, 11:45 PM

2002 C32 ///AMG
Keep the reviews coming forward!
Old 05-09-2008, 08:47 AM

c32 AMG
WHAT you guys got free M&M's .. sweeetttttttttttt..My order is in..lolol

As for the intake how long of a job is that?? Is it quick enough to exhange for stock on long drives or if you get irrated by the noise..
Old 05-09-2008, 01:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 C32 AMG, 2003 E39 M5
Stock boost is 14.7. With a 178 pulley you'll see around 17 psi. Not sure on the 181 but I thought it was around 18 ish psi but not sure on that. I know Erik has the amswer to that

Originally Posted by D_Star
Just checked back with the thread, all I can say is WOW! the SC pulleys look amazing!

So can any one tell me what's the Max Boost our SC can hold up to?

I remember reading some where the stock pulley make 15.4psi max, is this correct?

Now with the Code3 SC pulley running 15.61 psi (pulley only) and 16.44 psi (pulley and intake), can I assume that the Code3 SC pulley is safe for our cars?

How much boost does the crank pulley make, for those with the LET 181mm crank pulley?

I am sorry if I had missed anything mentioned previously. Thank you all.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210 E55 & W204 C63
Nub question
But what exactly does psi do to performance? And where is it measured?
Old 05-09-2008, 04:16 PM

2003 C32 AMG, 2003 E39 M5
It is the boost the the S/C runs at. Higher the boost the more HP/TQ

Originally Posted by kindafast
Nub question
Old 05-09-2008, 05:01 PM

'03 C32, '08 ML63
Originally Posted by kindafast
Nub question
Basically it's the air pressure coming out of the supercharger. The more air you force into the engine, the more oxygen, so the more power. Evidently the ECU on these cars is pretty smart so it will automatically adapt to the increase in oxygen by automagically supplying more fuel too. You can get boost gauges that tie in to give you the PSI which is being put out. As to where it's measured...you know, I'm not sure. On a turbo you just measure off the engine intake after the turbo. I guess it's the same on a supercharger (?).
Old 05-09-2008, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210 E55 & W204 C63
Okay thanks!
Old 05-10-2008, 06:36 AM
M_M

C32 AMG
brief report: ASP pulley+SC pulley

Just got mine installed and tested, here is the review:

Installation: I had a VERY hard time pulling the old pulley out, it took me and my mechanic 45mins to do so, and for some reason, my mechanic broke the screw, then we had to use a solid screw instead. (MB doesn't sell this hollow screw along, damn..I am not sure whether it would break one day) other parts are quite easy though.

After the installation, I had a few hard runs from dead stop till the end of the 2 gear, car was definitely pulled harder once the SC kicked in, I would say SC along adds up around 10-15hp throughout the range from 2500rpm-6200rpm. As for the belt slippage, yes it occured after 2-3 hard runs, but it was totally acceptable. No major problem YET, and I'm satified so far.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Question

Originally Posted by M_M
brief report: ASP pulley+SC pulley

Just got mine installed and tested, here is the review:

Installation: I had a VERY hard time pulling the old pulley out, it took me and my mechanic 45mins to do so, and for some reason, my mechanic broke the screw, then we had to use a solid screw instead. (MB doesn't sell this hollow screw along, damn..I am not sure whether it would break one day) other parts are quite easy though.

After the installation, I had a few hard runs from dead stop till the end of the 2 gear, car was definitely pulled harder once the SC kicked in, I would say SC along adds up around 10-15hp throughout the range from 2500rpm-6200rpm. As for the belt slippage, yes it occured after 2-3 hard runs, but it was totally acceptable. No major problem YET, and I'm satified so far.
Sounds nice...please dyno and also can I ask if you had a Tune already with the ASP pullies?
Old 05-10-2008, 11:21 AM

c32
Installation: I had a VERY hard time pulling the old pulley out, it took me and my mechanic 45mins to do so,

+1 taking the stock pulley off for the first time was a *******.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Shredded My Serpentine

*** Update *** read this to save yourself $60.00 and some time

After installation of the Code III pulley, I shredded the serpentine belt. Literally and figuratively. The car ran very hard (and well) for a few miles and then the belt went. I sent Brandon the photos. Best we can figure out is that the "pulley" shredded the belt. His theory is that I had ran it on the side of a pulley, BUT when we took it apart, it was properly on all the pulleys and guides. I installed another and "let it wear in" yesterday with a 100 mile run staying out of the supercharger. The belt is slightly frayed on the inside (closer to engine than front). I will watch for wear the next week or so.

One thing we noticed after the install. When the supercharger engages, it tries to pull the serpentine belt "in" closer to the clutch. This is exactly where I had the wear and fraying. In other words, it was pulling toward the supercharger hub assembly under load. This will probably not be a problem with a crank pulley. Anyone frayed a belt yet??

Best thing I can recommend is to let the pulley and belt become familiar before getting on it.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by Newzchspy

After installation of the Code III pulley, I shredded the serpentine belt. Literally and figuratively. The car ran very hard (and well) for a few miles and then the belt went. I sent Brandon the photos. Best we can figure out is that the "pulley" shredded the belt. His theory is that I had ran it on the side of a pulley, BUT when we took it apart, it was properly on all the pulleys and guides. I installed another and "let it wear in" yesterday with a 100 mile run staying out of the supercharger. The belt is slightly frayed on the inside (closer to engine than front). I will watch for wear the next week or so.

One thing we noticed after the install. When the supercharger engages, it tries to pull the serpentine belt "in" closer to the clutch. This is exactly where I had the wear and fraying. In other words, it was pulling toward the supercharger hub assembly under load. This will probably not be a problem with a crank pulley. Anyone frayed a belt yet??

Best thing I can recommend is to let the pulley and belt become familiar before getting on it.
Newzchspy,

Thanks for sharing!

IMHO, this is EXACTLY the reason why big tuners charge more... they do a TON of R&D prior to selling to the public. I'm not bashing Brandon (or Code3, since they're one and the same), because it really sounds like he tested this quite a bit on his car and a couple others (i.e. Top Gun), however the fact that he's already come out and stated "the cuts in the pulley are pretty aggressive. The cuts will start to wear in very quickly. Its actually the only thing we are changing in the next run. The cuts will be less aggressive, v-shaped, and not bottomed out in the groove" confirms that, in the end, it's the early adopters who wind up providing the extensive "R" so the manufacturer/vendor can continue the "D" through subsequent product versions.

You pays your money and you takes your chances...

That said, I'm anxious to see what people's results are with the Code3 S/C pulley Version 2, once they're installed and used for awhile

Last edited by c32AMG-DTM; 05-10-2008 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32, 2007 E550 4matic
Great info guys. Thanks to all of you for the valuable data.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Thanks for sharing!

IMHO, this is EXACTLY the reason why big tuners charge more... they do a TON of R&D prior to selling to the public. I'm not bashing Brandon (or Code3, since they're one and the same), because it really sounds like he tested this quite a bit on his car and a couple others (i.e. Top Gun), however the fact that he's already come out and stated "the cuts in the pulley are pretty aggressive. The cuts will start to wear in very quickly. Its actually the only thing we are changing in the next run. The cuts will be less aggressive, v-shaped, and not bottomed out in the groove" confirms that, in the end, it's the early adopters who wind up providing the extensive "R" so the manufacturer/vendor can continue the "D" through subsequent product versions.

You pays your money and you takes your chances...

That said, I'm anxious to see what people's results are with the Code3 S/C pulley Version 2, once they're installed and used for awhile [/QUOTE]

I can't point a finger here. Just stating the fact that I shredded the s belt. Who's at fault, who knows?? I did get on it within about 10 minutes of the install. Although, in fairness to me, I did check the guides and all before starting it and also ran it for about 5 minutes at idle and at speed before taking it on the road. We also noticed that (before the road test) that the belt was pulling in (toward the supercharger) when the supercharger engaged and this is exactly WHERE the belt was shredding. ON the other hand, I drove it with a new belt to the AutoBahn Country Club for the Lexus Ultimate drive event without a problem, so maybe "wear-in" is an issue. This was a round trip of about 130 miles. During that time I did get on the supercharger without a problem, although the inside of the belt is slightly frayed. Issue, I dont know???

As an aside, after the Lexus event, everyone was all pumped and as we left, I watched an M5 dust an older model Vette. At the next light going toward I-88, I pulled up next to the Beemer (probably a 3 year old M 5) and was able to at least "stay" with him or real close. He had me beat, BUT not by much. On the highway, An Audi with the 4.2 / 8 was dispatched easily. Same thing with the old man in the Maserati. The Audi gave me a thumbs up , the old man a menacing grin. I said to myself You paid what for what???

I will watch the belt issue. Just stating what I know. The installation was easy and is really a no brainer. It does what he says it does as far as torque and performance and I am running all stock except for the pulley. Even the intake and filters are stock. No Magnacors or plugs either. The car is stronger for sure. I just had a concern about the belt wear. I called him, he was great and called me back. His customer service has been great too. He even offered to send me a new belt. He also offered to send a next gen pulley, so hes been more than fair to me.

Note: My car's belt has 22 K miles on it, so its not that old. I dont know how long the belts last before needing replacement. Was my belt just old and the cause. Again, I dont know???

Glenn
Old 05-10-2008, 01:02 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
great info..thanks for the updates.....keep them coming..

Old 05-10-2008, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002

Thanks for the info
Old 05-10-2008, 01:40 PM

02 c32 99 superduty
I can't wait to see the dyno from the S/C pulley and crank pulley together!!
Old 05-10-2008, 03:35 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Misalignment is the number one issue for belt shredding. Its very common when belts or pulleys are not installed correctly. Belt wear was a HUGE factor during testing. Honestly Glenn, it sound like you need to space the pulley out a bit more. The pulley doesn't move when it engages, only the backplate does. If you need more spacers, I can send them your way.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:00 PM

2005 Crossfire SRT-6
Hello, I thought I would post my review of the Code 3 pulley and intake on my SRT6. I have put 200 miles on it so far with no belt problems and no signs of any wear or belt dust. I am using a Goodyear GatorBack belt that I installed a little over a month ago.

The intake makes the S/C sound sick, much more whine over the cold air intake with the filter in the grill like I had before. Throttle response is better and the power is much improved through all the gears. It puts you back in the seat and keeps you there. My car runs 12.40's and it feels like it picked up a couple tenths. I plan on taking it to the track this week to see for sure. Then I will be at US 41 on the 17th for the private track rental, see some of you there.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by Code3 Performance
Misalignment is the number one issue for belt shredding. Its very common when belts or pulleys are not installed correctly. Belt wear was a HUGE factor during testing. Honestly Glenn, it sound like you need to space the pulley out a bit more. The pulley doesn't move when it engages, only the backplate does. If you need more spacers, I can send them your way.

Just so you know, I never said the pulley moves, the belt was moving back off the pulley when the electromagnetic clutch engaged. It was as if the belt was being pulled toward the backplate & clutch and then when you let off to go back to idle, the belt would go back to the normal position. Again, I think the issue is resolved now that the belt has worn in with the pulley (together). Cant wait for the intake to test em both together!!! As I took a good look at it from the drivers side toward the supercharger pulley and the top guide pulley about three (3) inches away, its possible that as the supercharger engaged and the belt moved in, the belt started hitting the guide pulley bracket and was shredded by that. Because you decreased the diameter of the pulley, there is more of a "hump" if you will from the guide pulley toward the supercharger pulley. With the stock pulley, the belt rode straight off the guide pulley to the supercharger pulley. Note that those dynamics have changed.

To quote Brandon: Belt wear was a HUGE factor during testing.

Why is that? Were any belts damaged during testing???

Glenn
Old 05-10-2008, 07:12 PM

02 c32 99 superduty
Originally Posted by Bikecop
Hello, I thought I would post my review of the Code 3 pulley and intake on my SRT6. I have put 200 miles on it so far with no belt problems and no signs of any wear or belt dust. I am using a Goodyear GatorBack belt that I installed a little over a month ago.

The intake makes the S/C sound sick, much more whine over the cold air intake with the filter in the grill like I had before. Throttle response is better and the power is much improved through all the gears. It puts you back in the seat and keeps you there. My car runs 12.40's and it feels like it picked up a couple tenths. I plan on taking it to the track this week to see for sure. Then I will be at US 41 on the 17th for the private track rental, see some of you there.
That would be badazz if you hit a high 11. Are you going to video your runs? I can't wait to get my intake mod!!
Old 05-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Just so you know, I never said the pulley moves, the belt was moving back off the pulley when the electromagnetic clutch engaged. It was as if the belt was being pulled toward the backplate & clutch and then when you let off to go back to idle, the belt would go back to the normal position. Again, I think the issue is resolved now that the belt has worn in with the pulley (together). Cant wait for the intake to test em both together!!! As I took a good look at it from the drivers side toward the supercharger pulley and the top guide pulley about three (3) inches away, its possible that as the supercharger engaged and the belt moved in, the belt started hitting the guide pulley bracket and was shredded by that. Because you decreased the diameter of the pulley, there is more of a "hump" if you will from the guide pulley toward the supercharger pulley. With the stock pulley, the belt rode straight off the guide pulley to the supercharger pulley. Note that those dynamics have changed.

To quote Brandon: Belt wear was a HUGE factor during testing.

Why is that? Were any belts damaged during testing???

Glenn
Belt wear/life was a top priority, as in, not destroying them. We paid special attention to the belt, so it was inspected constantly off of the car. Not one single belt has ever been broken, shredded, or destroyed. In fact, we never saw any awkward or uneven wear either. We tested belt temperature, both internal and external, to verify we were within proper operating temperatures. We also cut a few belts in half after they accumulated some heavy miles to take measurements for rib wear as well. The only type of wear we ever saw, was some minor glazing between ribs during early prototypes, which was a sign of slipping. Other than that, never any issues.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: A turning point in Mercedes tuning...Performance Supercharger Pulley