C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Tracking Tips Please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 03:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 CLK55
Tracking Tips Please

I am planning to go to the track for the first time in my life. I will be going along with a few modded M3's and VW GTi's. I am not expecting too much from myself this time, but I definitely don't want to track like a complete fool. I have done some searches here about tracking setups on the car, but I have found nothing about manual shifting while running the circuits.

So my question is, do you all manual shift your C32 when you are running circuits? If so, when you approach corners, do you down shift as you brake? or do you brake to the optimum speed then down shift to the optimum gear ready for exit?

Thanks.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by D_Star
So my question is, do you all manual shift your C32 when you are running circuits? If so, when you approach corners, do you down shift as you brake? or do you brake to the optimum speed then down shift to the optimum gear ready for exit?

Thanks.
Hey there D_Star:

As far as I am concerned with my C32, I let the tranny do its own thing. You do know that the trans is capable of downshifting by itself.

You could shift, and I have done it from time to time, to try little things here and there. But as you are a newbie to the track, leave it alone. You will NOT gain anything by shifting yourself your first time out. Learn the track line, TAKE AN INSTRUCTOR WITH YOU, for the first sesion ATLEAST.

AND HAVE FUN!!!!!

See yeah
Old 03-15-2008, 10:14 AM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Hey there D_Star:

As far as I am concerned with my C32, I let the tranny do its own thing. You do know that the trans is capable of downshifting by itself.

You could shift, and I have done it from time to time, to try little things here and there. But as you are a newbie to the track, leave it alone. You will NOT gain anything by shifting yourself your first time out. Learn the track line, TAKE AN INSTRUCTOR WITH YOU, for the first sesion ATLEAST.

AND HAVE FUN!!!!!

See yeah
Couldn't agree more.....dont bother shifting the first couple of trips out...

Get used to the speed, the car, and the track.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:09 AM

2005 Brabus C55
Thumbs up you might be sorry you asked ....

I'm not sure how your event is structured, but ... For sure ... take an instructor w/ you or have an instructor drive your car for a few laps. If not available, ask if you can follow an experienced person for some "warm-up" laps, figure out the correct line & braking points. Make sure you know where the passing areas are.

Not sure how far you plan to "push it", but here are some concrete suggestions for a "newbie" ... so that you can "get the hang of the track" ...

Brake in a straight line. Braking while turning can "upset" your handling. Learn to trail brake later. Try not to rely on ESP to save you.

Pick your exit gear before you enter the turn. Down-shifting mid-turn or on the exit can upset your car's handling. This can still happen mid-turn if you mash the throttle in automatic mode.

Better to late apex than early apex... meaning don't too eager to dive into a corner, see what direction the track is pointed on the exit and keep that in mind as you enter the corner.

Smooth is fast ... throwing your car around like a stunt driver might be fun but it's tough on the equipment & typically slower.

for turns, slower in & faster out ... squeeze brake and accelerator, they aren't On/Off swithces ...

You might want to invest in a good tire guage w/ a bleed off valve & a small portable air tank w/ max air. Probably less than $100. Take a few laps, check your tire shoulders for wear & check your tire pressure. Ask an experienced driver about wear & pressure. Keep an eye on your brake pads & rotors if you're close to a brake job.

Got all that

Lastly, proving to everybody that you have more ***** than experience will not impress anyone & have you taking an ambulance home ... have fun & be safe!
Old 03-15-2008, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
First one or two sessions, don't touch the transmission. But once you know the line, I strongly recommend that you pre-select your exit gear as you are braking for a turn. As someone said, a downshift mid-turn can unsettle things; and if you are in auto, and you power out of a turn, it will downshift.

Also, leave the stability control on for a few sessions. If it's dry, and you've been steady, then you can turn it of. At least on the C32, the stability/traction control can really interfere with accelerating through and out of turns. Even switched off, the system remains active and will save you in a big slide/spin.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:13 PM

05 CLK55
Thanks guys!!! I appreciate all your helpful tips.

Maybe I am just thinking too much. By the time, I bet I'll be too busy with just steering and looking in the rear mirror. LOL

Do you guys have any complaints with the oem brake pads and brake lines on the track?
Old 03-15-2008, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
Which track are you going to? Shannonvile?....Mosport?....Dunnville?....Cayuga?. .....Calobogie?

And which group are you going with?.....or is it a private event?

I've only been to Shannonville and Mosport, and your stock brakes and pads will be more than enough, especially if it is your first time.

As mentioned by previous people, the most common newbie mistake is not braking enough before a turn and understeering off the track, especially with high HP cars which can build up speed very quickly. Learn the racing line, and remember "slow in, fast out".

Trending Topics

Old 03-15-2008, 10:44 PM

05 CLK55
Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie
Which track are you going to? Shannonvile?....Mosport?....Dunnville?....Cayuga?. .....Calobogie?

And which group are you going with?.....or is it a private event?

I've only been to Shannonville and Mosport, and your stock brakes and pads will be more than enough, especially if it is your first time.

As mentioned by previous people, the most common newbie mistake is not braking enough before a turn and understeering off the track, especially with high HP cars which can build up speed very quickly. Learn the racing line, and remember "slow in, fast out".
The track is unconfirmed yet. However, we are most likely to be at Mosport. Things are only in the planning right now, but I think it will be nice if I can start preparing now for some swaybars or brake pads. You are in Toronto? you know how the weather is right now. The guys that I am going with are planning to have a private event. If you are interested in playing, I am more than happy to inform you the time when it is confirmed. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by D_Star
Thanks guys!!! I appreciate all your helpful tips.

Maybe I am just thinking too much. By the time, I bet I'll be too busy with just steering and looking in the rear mirror. LOL

Do you guys have any complaints with the oem brake pads and brake lines on the track?
Have good quality, fresh brake fluid in the system (flushed in advance) and you should be fine. Try to relax, and try not to have a death grip on the steering wheel. That's one of my bad habits. With comfy, leather seats, you'll tend to slide. Try not to use the wheel as a grab handle.

Consider one of these: http://www.cg-lock.com/index.html
Old 03-16-2008, 10:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
Have good quality, fresh brake fluid in the system (flushed in advance) and you should be fine. Try to relax, and try not to have a death grip on the steering wheel. That's one of my bad habits. With comfy, leather seats, you'll tend to slide. Try not to use the wheel as a grab handle.

Consider one of these: http://www.cg-lock.com/index.html
I have a trick that I use on the seat-belt that I would pass on, but I've been wondering if it will damage the mechanism with prolonged usage. Here it is.
  1. Put the seat back about 6 inches or so from where you plan to sit in he event.
  2. Put the seat belt on and pull it as tight around your waist and shoulder as tight as you can.
  3. Now with your right hand, reach across your body and grab the belt where it touches your left shoulder.
  4. Pull it UP and to the LEFT so that you are tightening around your waist and stomach and helping retract the belt - pull it pretty tight - do NOT let go yet
  5. Now STILL HOLDING THE BELT, YANK as fast as you can DOWN and to the RIGHT - which will lock the belt - the faster you do this, the closer it will lock to it's intended position
  6. Usually, if I pulled it tight enough (and I relax my muscles - read:gut) it will lock and hold here on it's own BUT
  7. Adjust the seat forward 6" to it's final racing position
  8. The belt will hold very tight for as long as you let it
  9. When you get out, just move the seat back and pull it as in Step 4 and it will let out

I'm being descriptive here, but once you do it a couple times it's very easy and works really well BUT again I wonder about the safety and long-term resilience of the seat-belt system under sustained use which is obviously completely contradictory to the intended purpose.

Does anyone else do this and more importantly can anyone answer the question about whether this is a bad idea or viable.

I do this all the time when I'm going to drive in a more spirited fashion