Yet another Kleemann post

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 08:24 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
Yet another Kleemann post

I just got off the phone with a guy at European auto salon her in Phoenix and I was told that I was looking at about $1200 installed for the ECU flash. I asked him what kind of numbers can i expect to gain out of the new ECU and I was told with the C55 I could expect 40hp extra and 50lbs of tq. and that the kleemann ECU is compatible with all Kleemann upgrades. Along with that if MB did a re-flash of the ECU, Kleemann would reflash it at no charge except shipping. I've done some searching on this forum but didn't find any good info on Kleemann ECU's for a C55's. I'm just trying to get as much info on this upgrade as I can thanks guys. If you guys know of a good thread about kleemann ECU's for C55 let me know.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Brabus C55
Originally Posted by hooleyboy
I just got off the phone with a guy at European auto salon her in Phoenix and I was told that I was looking at about $1200 installed for the ECU flash. I asked him what kind of numbers can i expect to gain out of the new ECU and I was told with the C55 I could expect 40hp extra and 50lbs of tq. and that the kleemann ECU is compatible with all Kleemann upgrades. Along with that if MB did a re-flash of the ECU, Kleemann would reflash it at no charge except shipping. I've done some searching on this forum but didn't find any good info on Kleemann ECU's for a C55's. I'm just trying to get as much info on this upgrade as I can thanks guys. If you guys know of a good thread about kleemann ECU's for C55 let me know.
Those gains sound way too large for just an ECU reprog ... maybe add headers, intake & cam.

Tell them you'll dyno the car before and after ... if they don't make 40+hp, they owe you $1200

Guys @ Brabus claimed to have a cam and ECU set-up good for 40hp & xtra rpms.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31, 2014 GMC Sierra (6.2)
Yeah, perhaps with Kleemann headers, cams,sport cats etc but with an ECU alone - no!
Old 03-27-2008, 08:41 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by Brabus C55
Those gains sound way too large for just an ECU reprog ... maybe add headers, intake & cam.

Tell them you'll dyno the car before and after ... if they don't make 40+hp, they owe you $1200

I feel the same way. if that was true IMO I would think everyone would be doing it for $1200
Old 03-27-2008, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31, 2014 GMC Sierra (6.2)
However, if you had a 335I, then that would be a different story and those gains would be possible with an ECU alone...
Old 03-27-2008, 08:58 PM

2005 C55 AMG
Those numbers sound way too high! If they were true, I'm quite certain everyone on this board w/ a C55 would be touting how great their Kleeman ECU tune was! If they're claiming 40hp on top of the factory rated 362hp, then at the wheels it suggests they'd achieve a 33rwhp increase. This equates to an 11% gain, all things being equal. I find it likely to be a generous assumption.
Also, keep in mind they may have achieved those numbers at the absolute peak level, however you will only be at that level for a split second. I'd be much more concerned about the area under the curve. What are the increases throughout the entire pull? If I'm going to pick up 33rwhp at only 6200rpms at the top of 4th gear, but no other noticeable changes down below, then it's certainly not worth it. For me, I'd make them provide actual dyno graphs that can show the gains throughout the powerband. If you're seeing the 11% gain throughout the entire curve, then it's worth something. As I've stated before, peak power doesn't mean a thing for overall performance. You want a very linear curve on the dyno, showing power across the entire rpm range, not just at the very top. This is why a car w/ 300hp from 3000-6000 rpm's will outrun another car w/ 350hp from 5800-6000 rpm's (all things being equal otherwise). I hope this is making sense the way I'm writing it. It makes sense in my head, but sometimes that doesn't translate into text...

Kleemann's website says the following:
2.6, 2.8 and 3.2 V6 & 4.3, 5.0 and 5.5 V8
The KLEEMANN normally aspirated (NA) V6/V8-engine tuning programme is available for all Mercedes-Benz models equipped with NA V6 or V8 engines. Below you will find the specifications of the KLEEMANN "Stage" tuning concept for a 5.0 litre normally aspirated Mercedes-Benz engine.

*actual power and torque output depend on a large number of variables. For detals please goto the FAQ section.

I plan on getting Eric from LET to do some dyno tuning on mine. I have access to a dyno and he is local for me, so hopefully we can do some real world testing to show the gains his and AMG Jerry's tunes will produce. I know they're testing their tune on cars in Chicago right now too.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:21 PM

C55
Originally Posted by JToups386
Those numbers sound way too high! If they were true, I'm quite certain everyone on this board w/ a C55 would be touting how great their Kleeman ECU tune was! If they're claiming 40hp on top of the factory rated 362hp, then at the wheels it suggests they'd achieve a 33rwhp increase. This equates to an 11% gain, all things being equal. I find it likely to be a generous assumption.
Also, keep in mind they may have achieved those numbers at the absolute peak level, however you will only be at that level for a split second. I'd be much more concerned about the area under the curve. What are the increases throughout the entire pull? If I'm going to pick up 33rwhp at only 6200rpms at the top of 4th gear, but no other noticeable changes down below, then it's certainly not worth it. For me, I'd make them provide actual dyno graphs that can show the gains throughout the powerband. If you're seeing the 11% gain throughout the entire curve, then it's worth something. As I've stated before, peak power doesn't mean a thing for overall performance. You want a very linear curve on the dyno, showing power across the entire rpm range, not just at the very top. This is why a car w/ 300hp from 3000-6000 rpm's will outrun another car w/ 350hp from 5800-6000 rpm's (all things being equal otherwise). I hope this is making sense the way I'm writing it. It makes sense in my head, but sometimes that doesn't translate into text...

Kleemann's website says the following:
2.6, 2.8 and 3.2 V6 & 4.3, 5.0 and 5.5 V8
The KLEEMANN normally aspirated (NA) V6/V8-engine tuning programme is available for all Mercedes-Benz models equipped with NA V6 or V8 engines. Below you will find the specifications of the KLEEMANN "Stage" tuning concept for a 5.0 litre normally aspirated Mercedes-Benz engine.

*actual power and torque output depend on a large number of variables. For detals please goto the FAQ section.

I plan on getting Eric from LET to do some dyno tuning on mine. I have access to a dyno and he is local for me, so hopefully we can do some real world testing to show the gains his and AMG Jerry's tunes will produce. I know they're testing their tune on cars in Chicago right now too.
ill dyno mine for two baseline standards how about that?
Old 03-27-2008, 09:28 PM

2005 C55 AMG
Sorry John, there's already plenty of baseline dyno numbers via mine and a friend. Now someone has to pull the trigger to pay for the tune and see the results therein. It appears I'm going to be the one here locally to give it a try.
I'm craving some extra power and like everything else I've ever owned I can't leave well enough alone. Horsepower is worse than crack...!!!
Old 03-27-2008, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
Way too high for a naturally aspirated motor.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by JToups386
...hopefully we can do some real world testing to show the gains his and AMG Jerry's tunes will produce...
I like the way you think and post. You’ve got a solid technical background and know how to get after it. You are relatively new here, but nonetheless a most welcomed addition.

Once my hardware setup is finalized, I’d really enjoy a semi-private day at the ‘strip trying some of Erick’s and Jerry’s tunes. That would be a kick! It may not happen, but LET will be doing my tune when the time comes. Good people.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:41 PM

2005 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by splinter
I like the way you think and post. You’ve got a solid technical background and know how to get after it. You are relatively new here, but nonetheless a most welcomed addition.

Once my hardware setup is finalized, I’d really enjoy a semi-private day at the ‘strip trying some of Erick’s and Jerry’s tunes. That would be a kick! It may not happen, but LET will be doing my tune when the time comes. Good people.
Much thanks Splinter! I've really enjoyed this forum, and the sharing of information that it provides. It's all about discovering new and/or better ways of doing things, and several people on the board have been very helpful in that regards.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by hooleyboy

Sounds way to high imo...
Old 03-28-2008, 12:55 AM
Former Vendor

Any AMG Thats Around..
im with the rest of you - those numbers are too high for a nat/asp setup.. If it was an kompressor or turbo car then i would expect higher numbers...

its hard to squeeze out hp from an ECU flash on a regular motor.... ECU with other mods would of course bring higher gains... on a non kompressor 55, i would say, ECU, Headers would be a good start... Maybe a LSD?

On a personal note, i hate doing internals if there is no need... Cams and other things of this nature.. i would stay away from unless your die hard and looking to shave tenths off your et.

my .02
Old 03-28-2008, 02:17 AM

04' C32 AMG & 90' TT 300ZX
Originally Posted by wawy
However, if you had a 335I, then that would be a different story and those gains would be possible with an ECU alone...
That applies to any car with forced induction. I just don't see any reason in trying to get power out of a Naturally Aspirated engine alone. You wont get more then like 50hp, and you'll spend soooo much.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:18 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by Brabus C55

they'll just show you a fake dyno like they did with one guy's SL500 after the supercharger is put on.

with the cam and good ecu tune. it may be doable, but not with ecu along. no magic will bring 40hp to the C55 NA V8 with just the ecu.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:22 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by TuneTime
im with the rest of you - those numbers are too high for a nat/asp setup.. If it was an kompressor or turbo car then i would expect higher numbers...

its hard to squeeze out hp from an ECU flash on a regular motor.... ECU with other mods would of course bring higher gains... on a non kompressor 55, i would say, ECU, Headers would be a good start... Maybe a LSD?

On a personal note, i hate doing internals if there is no need... Cams and other things of this nature.. i would stay away from unless your die hard and looking to shave tenths off your et.

my .02
even on the supercharged car like the C32...you may see 25-30hp at most with a ecu tune and that's at crank. on the 211 E55 you may see a little more because of that engine.

we have discuss this in the 32 thread on the cams. cams move hp to higher rpm and maybe an increase of 10hp at most. making the rpm higher is up to raising the redline limit on the ecu. it has nothing to do with cam. basically cam is good for people who are die-hard track fan which it is better to have the power up in the higher rpm so you don't have to gear hunt for the hp and torque. it is the same reason NSX and S2000 are so good on the track yet crappy in daily commute.

Last edited by FrankW; 03-28-2008 at 05:28 AM.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:31 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by wawy
if you have a 335i you can ecu that thing to give you 80-100hp actually...40hp is cake for the turbo. how reliable it will be is another story.