donk donk donk...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
donk donk donk...

I can't replicate it on demand. But sometimes stopped at a light (only happens when completely stopped), several seconds after stopping I hear a "donk donk donk".. happens in fairly rapid succession and sounds to be coming from underneath the car, middle or rear of car. Tried to record it, but like I said, impossible for me to force it to happen. And its fairly subtle. Never happened before. I know the dealer is gonna say they can't replicate. So I am hoping someone else has had this phantom noise occur prior.

04 c32.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like airplane
http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...-8&sa=N&tab=wi

sorry i couldn't be of more help
Old 04-10-2008, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by pointman
I can't replicate it on demand. But sometimes stopped at a light (only happens when completely stopped), several seconds after stopping I hear a "donk donk donk".. happens in fairly rapid succession and sounds to be coming from underneath the car, middle or rear of car. Tried to record it, but like I said, impossible for me to force it to happen. And its fairly subtle. Never happened before. I know the dealer is gonna say they can't replicate. So I am hoping someone else has had this phantom noise occur prior.

04 c32.
Only thing I can think of, that I've noticed before in certain cars, is gas sloshing around in the tank if you stop fairly aggressively... but that's not exactly a "donk" sound...
Old 04-10-2008, 07:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C55
next time you come to a stop, shift the car in Neutral jus tas you roll to a complete stop to rule out something in the transmission. I had an old piece of ***** Dodge that did that and it turned out being the tranny.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Only thing I can think of, that I've noticed before in certain cars, is gas sloshing around in the tank if you stop fairly aggressively... but that's not exactly a "donk" sound...
Hi. Its definitely not the case. I thought about it too.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by fivepointfivev8
next time you come to a stop, shift the car in Neutral jus tas you roll to a complete stop to rule out something in the transmission. I had an old piece of ***** Dodge that did that and it turned out being the tranny.
****. I was afraid to hear this. Thanks. I will try it.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:26 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
my parents 96 XJ-12 does this. comes from the tranmission tunnel. probably a tranny mount is bad?
Old 04-11-2008, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
I'm not sure that you're having a clunking problem in the rear of your car, but I was having that clunking issue. My service advisor told me that there is a common problem with the w203 chassis and when the shocks in the rear start to go bad a part starts to warp and it causes that clunking issue. I was only havign the problem during acceleration and when I was braking. Hope this helps.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks guys. When I get some time, I am gonna drop it by the dealer and see what they come up with. Hopefully I have some helpful info to share with you all.