Can someone chime in with dual skid marks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 09:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 C32 AMG, 2003 E39 M5
Can someone chime in with dual skid marks

These where only in the driveway

Now when I pulled up in the driveway and nailed it I left 2 skid marks up the driveway. I swear last time I did that I only got one spinning. I am not sure if I had traction on or off.

Is this correct:
With traction control on both tires will lay a patch's but power will be cut to the engine when traction is lost.

With traction control off you get one wheel spinning but only limited power loss intervention.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:10 PM

Not an AMG :(
Originally Posted by bud4ya
These where only in the driveway

Now when I pulled up in the driveway and nailed it I left 2 skid marks up the driveway. I swear last time I did that I only got one spinning. I am not sure if I had traction on or off.

Is this correct:
With traction control on both tires will lay a patch's but power will be cut to the engine when traction is lost.

With traction control off you get one wheel spinning but only limited power loss intervention.
IMPORTANT - Let me first say that I have NEVER had any skid marks of any kind since the age of 10 (.........or thereabouts!)

But, in answer to your question, I think that with ESP off properly, you will spin both wheels (i.e. by disabling the ESP and other safety features through the 'dyno mode'). With ESP on, the computer should cut/decrease power to the wheel that is spinning.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
open diffs "can" leave 2 skid marks, usually 1.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:06 PM

2019 CLS450 4matic, 2013 CLS550 4matic (totaled), 2005 C55 (traded), & a Ford F150
Originally Posted by boohooramblers
IMPORTANT - Let me first say that I have NEVER had any skid marks of any kind since the age of 10 (.........or thereabouts!)
Old 04-28-2008, 07:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5

But, in answer to your question, I think that with ESP off properly, you will spin both wheels (i.e. by disabling the ESP and other safety features through the 'dyno mode'). With ESP on, the computer should cut/decrease power to the wheel that is spinning.
Hmmm... my impression, from everything I've read on the subject, is that the bold statement above is the exact opposite of what to expect.

Unless the vehicle has an aftermarket LSD installed (e.g. Quaife ATB), most stock-diff C32 owners wind up having massive wheelspin from just one wheel when in 'dyno mode.'
Old 04-28-2008, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Hmmm... my impression, from everything I've read on the subject, is that the bold statement above is the exact opposite of what to expect.

Unless the vehicle has an aftermarket LSD installed (e.g. Quaife ATB), most stock-diff C32 owners wind up having massive wheelspin from just one wheel when in 'dyno mode.'
You could very well be right on this one!
Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
DEAD on my friend

Unless you have a Quiafi, in Dyno mode, the car is a one wheel smoker. Heck I tired it at the track, and FORGET IT! Massive one wheel spin out of EVERY right hander. Now, with the ESP off, aka fake diff, you still get good power to the ground as the electronics are still in affect.

Leave DYNO mode to just that DYNO time. ITS worthless on the street, unless you just want to toast a SINGLE tire

See yeah

Last edited by MRAMG1; 04-28-2008 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:19 AM

In my situation the car was not in dyno mod. I just can not remember if I reached over and shut ESP off. But when I nailed it I heard heard rubber being put to the pavement. I went and looked and sure enough both back tires left rubber the same distance.

I will have to test it again next week. I swear last time I did it with ESP off (Not In Dyno Mode) I got rubber out of one tire. Then with it on I think I got rubber out of two. Maybe if I had it on that is how I got dual marks. Maybe when one was slipping it would puts the power to the other tire and keeps going back and forth between the two.

All I know is there where 2 black lines from the rear for about 10-15 feet. I just bumped it real quick and let off so as not to go through the garage

Originally Posted by MRAMG1
DEAD on my friend

Unless you have a Quiafi, in Dyno mode, the car is a one wheel smoker. Heck I tired it at the track, and FORGET IT! Massive one wheel spin out of EVERY right hander. Now, with the ESP off, aka quasi off, you still get good power to the ground as the electronics are still in affect.

Leave DYNO mode to just that DYNO time. ITS worthless on the street, unless you just want to toast a SINGLE tire

See yeah
Old 04-28-2008, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Once you loose traction the electronics will chime in and cut your power after it figures out there is a lost of traction with ESP on...any marks are hard to leave but with ESP off then electronics will imo if you are on an even surface have both wheels turn identically....in Dyno mode you cut-out all electronics thus the right rear tire will spin wildly...with ESP off I only leave dual marks when ever I try....Dyno mode is the best way til now to tell if a LSD has been installed. The best way to find out if Dyno mode is the best way is to have a LSD equipped C32 go on Dyno mode and see if one or two wheels turn....

If a LSD installed C32 in Dyno mode still spins one tire massively then we are back to square one and we don't have a way to tell unless told by previous owner if a LSD was installed.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:44 PM

I will try dyno mode next week and see what happens.

I know for sure when I shut off ESP I only get one wheel spinning. This leads me to believe I had ESP on and power was being provided to both tires. The weird part is I did not feel the engine cut out on me though. I have layed into the gas before with ESP on and just as soon as the car starts to break loose it cuts power which it is susposed to do.

I asked the guy when I bought the car if he had done anything to it and he said no. I bought it new and it is all stock.

All I know now is I have two dual black marks up part of the driveway. Boy I wish I remembered if I shut of ESP or not. Well I will test it out when we return from Disney next week.

Sorry I missed you while I was out there. Hope you had a great time with the vacation thing.

Originally Posted by c32used
Once you loose traction the electronics will chime in and cut your power after it figures out there is a lost of traction with ESP on...any marks are hard to leave but with ESP off then electronics will imo if you are on an even surface have both wheels turn identically....in Dyno mode you cut-out all electronics thus the right rear tire will spin wildly...with ESP off I only leave dual marks when ever I try....Dyno mode is the best way til now to tell if a LSD has been installed. The best way to find out if Dyno mode is the best way is to have a LSD equipped C32 go on Dyno mode and see if one or two wheels turn....

If a LSD installed C32 in Dyno mode still spins one tire massively then we are back to square one and we don't have a way to tell unless told by previous owner if a LSD was installed.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
Turning off ESP from the center console has nothing to do with shutting off ASR. ASR is what brakes each rear wheel independently and acts like a fake LSD. ESP is what chops the power to the engine when you get on the gas too hard.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:12 PM

C32 AMG
ESP ON OR OFF

Tried this many times:
ESP ON = no wheel spin, power cut down almost instantly
ESP OFF= both tires spining leaving nice parallel line of rubber
ESP DYNO mode = one wheel spining until you grind your rims.

regards
Jack
Old 04-28-2008, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by jacek9478
Tried this many times:

regards
Jack
Videos or

j/k! good info!
Old 04-28-2008, 09:00 PM

I will try it with ESP off next week and see what I get. But I could of sworn with ESP off I only got one spining

Videos or

j/k! good info!
Old 04-28-2008, 09:20 PM

2003 C32
Originally Posted by jacek9478
Tried this many times:

regards
Jack
+1 stock

Now that I have the Quaife installed:

ESP ON : equal spin both tires under moderate throttle, no power cut
ESP OFF: both tires spin, but the car no longer tries to fishtail
Dyno Mode: both tires spin
Old 04-28-2008, 10:12 PM

06 C55
I had my car in dyno mode when I did this so Sorry I do not have a video but i was shocked also!!
Attached Thumbnails Can someone chime in with dual skid marks-100_2104.jpg