C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Just when you think turbocharging is the future...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Just when you think turbocharging is the future...

Now Audi (the master in turbocharging technology for decades) is coming out with a 3.0 liter SUPERCHARGED V6. The legion of VW / Audi tuners are probably freaking out thinking that they might actually have to MANUFACTURE something rather than play with software! Somehow, it's gratifying to me to see supercharging selected by Audi.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/details-...harged-v6.html
Old 05-21-2008, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
It’s about time Audi got with the program, don’t you think?
MB has proven the concept time and again with their flawless execution. Ha.

The fact they’ve moved toward normally aspirated engines may be due to the unusually high number of costly repairs they have had to absorb. Curious (and prudent) Audi has chosen to go with air-to-air charge cooling. Perhaps they’re aware of troublesome pumps and coolant-leaking intercooler cores. Maybe good ol’ Eaton will prove to be a more reliable supplier than IHI.

Might have to try that S4; I’ve often admired them.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by splinter

The fact they’ve moved toward normally aspirated engines may be due to the unusually high number of costly repairs they have had to absorb. Curious (and prudent) Audi has chosen to go with air-to-air charge cooling. Perhaps they’re aware of troublesome pumps and coolant-leaking intercooler cores. Maybe good ol’ Eaton will prove to be a more reliable supplier than IHI.

Sorry Splinter, but Eaton SC aren't really any good. I'll take a Lysholm Screw over them ANYDAY my friend. MUCH more efficent, with less parastic loss.

See yeah
Old 05-21-2008, 10:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1991 Toyota MR2, 2002 C32 AMG

I agree. The battle has always been between Mercedes' C-class vs. BMW's 3 series M, and Audi's RS4. With results always being either Mercedes' or BMW's on top, one would think Audi's engineers would have done something about it a long time ago. It's a step in the right direction. Can't wait to see a force inducted RS4.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by turbo16lbs
I agree. The battle has always been between Mercedes' C-class vs. BMW's 3 series M, and Audi's RS4. With results always being either Mercedes' or BMW's on top, one would think Audi's engineers would have done something about it a long time ago. It's a step in the right direction. Can't wait to see a force inducted RS4.

For a long time, in the US, the S4 (not RS4) was up against the M3 and C32/C55. Only recently did Audi put the RS4 up against them. The S4 will have "only" 350 HP, and with the extra bulk of the AWD, it would be slower than our old C32/C55s.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
It'll be interesting to see if this actually follows through. Everyone has heard them bringing back the twin turbo setup for the B8 S4 to now a S/C. I guess only time will tell what really is going to be the new engine.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W210 E55 & W204 C63
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
For a long time, in the US, the S4 (not RS4) was up against the M3 and C32/C55. Only recently did Audi put the RS4 up against them. The S4 will have "only" 350 HP, and with the extra bulk of the AWD, it would be slower than our old C32/C55s.
1999 B5 RS4 380 crank hp

Trending Topics

Old 05-21-2008, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by kindafast
1999 B5 RS4 380 crank hp

What does this have to do with my post???
Old 05-21-2008, 04:55 PM

1991 Toyota MR2, 2002 C32 AMG
What does this have to do with my post???
Im assuming he got confused and thought you meant RS4.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by turbo16lbs
Im assuming he got confused and thought you meant RS4.

No. The S4 is supposed to come in at 350HP, which gives them room to make the RS4 faster. I was noting that the S4 WAS the competitor to the C32/C55 and the M3 until the current generation. Now the RS4 is that competitor. The S4 is now slotted up against the 335. The RS4 better step up with some serious HP. It's decidedly behind the M3 and the C63.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Stg3 B5S4-C55 AMG
A guy I went to school with ( Art Center College of Design ) is married to an engineer at Ingollstadt....and word is, Audi is just passing time w/ the whole S4/Rs4 cars. Almost like they're throwing off the scent of what they're really up to.

This is my take on it, ( I love my Audi's as much as my Benz's by the way).

Audi engineers are serious race on Sunday,sell on Monday lads. They tend to focus on a specific chassis/motor class, refine it.....and totally dominate it,ie, GrpB Rally, LeMans,DTM,etc., the latter being their least dominant venture.

Audi introducing the SC'd S4 was an easy thing for them,since MTM was already making leaps in applying their hardware/software to their SC'd Rs4...which is a beast. I think there's a vid of it on YouT.

Its also cheaper to warranty than a twin turbo motor, and is new for them. It will mostly likely meet Audi's sales projections.

What they're really working on and perfecting is TDI. Looks like a whole new line up of uber-cars will be hitting the US Market by 2011.

Knowing them, they're coaxing 450 hp out of 3.0 liters of diesel stroke,25-27 mpg. Quiet, somewhat Green compliant and with un-matched racing pedigree. Yes, Peugot is giving them a run, but thats not going to last.

I don't think anyone else other than VW has TDI development at those levels....besides its a brother from another mother type thing.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
…I'll take a Lysholm Screw over them ANYDAY my friend. MUCH more efficent, with less parastic loss...
No worries. I’d have to agree, as I’m rather fond of mine.

The Lysholm supercharger, patented in 1935 by what is now Svenska Maskiner AB, is an excellent design. Alf Lysholm’s heirs have done rather well for themselves through royalties and licensing agreements. Of course, it has been refined over the years, but it’s still a more efficient air pump than a conventional style Roots.

Relatively recently however, Opcon and Eaton have combined their resourses to better serve the aftermarket and OE marketplace, most likely for improved economies of scale and manufacturing capacity. The distinction (and performance) between the two types has been dramatically reduced.

Originally Posted by AMG140.6
…What they're really working on and perfecting is TDI. Looks like a whole new line up of uber-cars will be hitting the US Market by 2011...
Nice.

Sorry 'bout the threadjack Fifth Ring!
Old 05-22-2008, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
It seems like most or all are heading this route...
Old 05-22-2008, 06:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
No worries. I’d have to agree, as I’m rather fond of mine.

The Lysholm supercharger, patented in 1935 by what is now Svenska Maskiner AB, is an excellent design. Alf Lysholm’s heirs have done rather well for themselves through royalties and licensing agreements. Of course, it has been refined over the years, but it’s still a more efficient air pump than a conventional style Roots.

!
Nice home work splinter

I did alot of digging back in the early 90's before I went with the whipple myself. Just keep in mind my favorite equation PV=NRT. In a nut shell, whatever blower you have at 10 PSI it will heat the air up to about 250 degrees if you don't have an intercooler, assuming a 70 degree day. No free lucnh in the physics world.

See yeah
Old 05-22-2008, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by AMG140.6
What they're really working on and perfecting is TDI. Looks like a whole new line up of uber-cars will be hitting the US Market by 2011.

Knowing them, they're coaxing 450 hp out of 3.0 liters of diesel stroke,25-27 mpg. Quiet, somewhat Green compliant and with un-matched racing pedigree. Yes, Peugot is giving them a run, but thats not going to last.

I don't think anyone else other than VW has TDI development at those levels....besides its a brother from another mother type thing.
I'm a big believer in diesel (taking delivery of a GL320 CDI this weekend!); but if the states do not balance the tax burden and make diesel on par with gasoline, the move to diesel will be severely limited. Even though the efficiency of diesel overwhelms a 10-15% price differential, consumers just will not think that hard.

My conspiracy theory is that US auto makers are going to do everything they can to suppress the growth of diesel power because they are woefully behind on diesel development. They'll do whatever they can to keep diesel fuel prices high.

Diesel just makes immense sense for big torque and high efficiency.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:32 PM

07 E550, 02 C32, 91 300E
I'm a big believer in diesel (taking delivery of a GL320 CDI this weekend!); but if the states do not balance the tax burden and make diesel on par with gasoline, the move to diesel will be severely limited. Even though the efficiency of diesel overwhelms a 10-15% price differential, consumers just will not think that hard.

My conspiracy theory is that US auto makers are going to do everything they can to suppress the growth of diesel power because they are woefully behind on diesel development. They'll do whatever they can to keep diesel fuel prices high.

Diesel just makes immense sense for big torque and high efficiency.

Yeah it does but Diesel is $5.00 a gallon here now while 91 is $4.27. You already lose your efficiency in fuel costs.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by DarkXerox
Yeah it does but Diesel is $5.00 a gallon here now while 91 is $4.27. You already lose your efficiency in fuel costs.
So is Audi's plan to go big on diesel a mistake? I hope not (and I have a personal stake in it!)
Old 05-22-2008, 06:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Stg3 B5S4-C55 AMG
I think Audi has enough of a non-US market to do well w/ diesel.

And, 5th....I couldn't agree w/ you more on your conspiracy theory of US Auto makers slowing down diesel progress due to being behind.

Its just like that guy who figured out how to use salt water as fuel in his hydrogen engine a few years ago....then all of a sudden disappears off the face of the earth.

Congrats on your GL320 Cdi.

My neighbor got a Toureag TDI last Fall., man o man....talk about torque. I think its got over 550 wtq. It'll pull a 3bdr ranch house right out of its foundation.

Fun stuff.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:41 PM

04' C32 AMG & 90' TT 300ZX
Audi doesnt know how to make turbos. S4 needs replacements at like 60k. Thats not engineering.