C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Phantomgrip is going to do it!! LSD's for any mercedes!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 01:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Phantomgrip is going to do it!! LSD's for any mercedes!!

[QUOTE=Max Hughes;2860469]start making LSD blocks(Kleemann style)

www.phantomgrip.com

Heres the message I got:

Yes you can send us the diffs and we can make fitment on them. The cost would be 499.95.

You can send the diffs to:

Phantom Grip
6346 Lantana Rd Suite 65
Lake Worth, FL 33463

Please be sure to include make model and year of vehicle as well as contact information.

Max Hughes wrote:

Their are a lot of mercedes guys in the US and in england questioning the prices of the kleemann LSD which is a direct match to your design. Kleemann charges thousands for this setup and a lot of mercedes guys with w210 and 211 chassis E320's, E430's, and E55's are showing a lot of interest in your products. I myself have a turbocharged E320 running 10 psi and making just under 450 hp. It is a beast and but its open diff hampers its potential. Long story short: I have a spare E320 diff and if at all possible I would like to know if you could machine one of your LSD's for it and the cost. Also several members of www.mbworld.org have E55's and are still looking for an LSD and are also very interested in your products. One member also has a spare diff he would donate without question.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 c32
How does this product compare to the Quaife?
Old 06-02-2008, 02:31 PM

Its more comparable to Kleemanns setup(in fact its same thing) and many tuner mags use them in their builds, they are proven and work very well, they also have 3 levels of spring stiffness for some tunability.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:34 PM

03 c32
Originally Posted by Max Hughes
Its more comparable to Kleemanns setup(in fact its same thing) and many tuner mags use them in their builds, they are proven and work very well, they also have 3 levels of spring stiffness for some tunability.
How is this product different than a Quaife?
Pros, cons...
Old 06-02-2008, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none
Sign me up...I'm gonna PM a member with a spare W202 diff right now. That price makes me feel a whole lot better than $2200....this would be awesome.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:40 PM

C32 AMG
Very, very interesting. Glad you looked into this. I heard about them a while back but did not pursue cuz I figured someone else on this forum must have already.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:28 PM
Banned

1996 C36 AMG
Quaife is a true helical gear LSD and basically lasts the life of the car, it is expensive to install though and is even more expensive to buy. These "spring box" LSDs will do about 80-90% as good of a job for roughly the 80-90% less in price. They essentially just force the spider gears against the outside of the diff casing there by forcing the diff to act like a limited slip, the greater the force applied outward the higher the % lock, im sure they range from 25-60% depending on how extreme you want to go. Honestly though 25% is more than enough, most OEM diffs are in the 25%-40% range depending, 60%+ is more for racing.

The long term durability is still unknown over say 100k+ miles lifespan but many people have been running them for 25-50k miles no problems. it is a great alternative if you don't want to drop stupid money on a diff.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by dkflipse
Very, very interesting. Glad you looked into this. I heard about them a while back but did not pursue cuz I figured someone else on this forum must have already.
Anyone done it yet for a C32??? Sounds like Magic to me. If it works, then I am IN!!
Old 06-02-2008, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
I heard about this thru Honda Tuners/Builders they use it as a cheaper alternative to a Quaife but say that a Quaife would be their choice if it weren't for $$$. I don't think anyone on this forum installed one on a C32. I know based off the website they sell them for the SLK32 for $499.00 but not the C32.

I posted a thread about the phantom grip LSD and had some interesting responses on it...basically most who are more into LSD didn't have good opinions on it. I think SteveL with his SLK32 used it but not positive.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:54 PM

My buddies have them in their 240sx's and they have lasted 24K so far and this is with at least 1 drift comp. a month.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:01 PM

SRT-6 Roadster
We have a member on our Crossfire Forum, "Waldig", who has a Phantom Grip LSD on his SRT6...I'm sure you could PM him and ask a question since it's pretty much the same setup.

He has some pictures of the differential in his gallery.

Last edited by GatorLCA; 06-02-2008 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:04 PM

SLK32
I currently have the Phantom Grip Installed in my SLK32 and I have run the Quafie in a previous application.

In my opinion the Quafie is a far superior unit and is worth the extra money. If it had been an option for the SLK I would not have even considered the Phantom Grip. The Quafie is worth every penny. They come with a life time warranty and are pretty much bullet proof. Their warranty is in effect whether you race your car or just drive it on the street. There is no downside to this product (well unless you have an issue with the price).

The Phantom Grip is exactly the same style that Kleeman sells for ~$3500. It is not a bad unit and I was told it has more than 60% lockup.

I have had the unit on the car for a couple of months and one track event. It makes a positive difference and you really can't beat it for the money. The car hooks up better and is more predictable. Time will tell how it holds up but as of right now I would not hesitate to install it again.

To summarize I would say get the Quafie if it is available. If it is not available or it is too expensive for your taste then go with the Phantom Grip.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:14 PM

03 c32
Originally Posted by 430
I currently have the Phantom Grip Installed in my SLK32 and I have run the Quafie in a previous application.

In my opinion the Quafie is a far superior unit and is worth the extra money. If it had been an option for the SLK I would not have even considered the Phantom Grip. The Quafie is worth every penny. They come with a life time warranty and are pretty much bullet proof. Their warranty is in effect whether you race your car or just drive it on the street. There is no downside to this product (well unless you have an issue with the price).

The Phantom Grip is exactly the same style that Kleeman sells for ~$3500. It is not a bad unit and I was told it has more than 60% lockup.

I have had the unit on the car for a couple of months and one track event. It makes a positive difference and you really can't beat it for the money. The car hooks up better and is more predictable. Time will tell how it holds up but as of right now I would not hesitate to install it again.

To summarize I would say get the Quafie if it is available. If it is not available or it is too expensive for your taste then go with the Phantom Grip.
Thank you.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:44 PM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
Anyone done it yet for a C32??? Sounds like Magic to me. If it works, then I am IN!!
Give me a couple of weeks and I'll let ya' know.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:04 PM

03 c32
Originally Posted by dkflipse
Give me a couple of weeks and I'll let ya' know.
Great news. Please keep us posted.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:31 PM

C43, SLK32, CLK63 Black Series
I have one in my SLK32 and I know two other people who do as well. No problems reported to date.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by 430

??How hard (or costly) is the install? Hours or degree of difficulty. For a DIY, how many hours and is it possible with most of our tools or do you need a pro install?

Glenn
Old 06-02-2008, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by SteveL
I have one in my SLK32 and I know two other people who do as well. No problems reported to date.

Steve, tell us what it does (or doesnt do ) for you?? Better grip. I was looking at their website and it seems to emphasize the cornering ability BUT not oo much on the acceleration???
Old 06-02-2008, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
The Kleemann unit comes with hardened spider gears is the Phantom Grip unit going to do the same?
Old 06-02-2008, 07:09 PM

no im pretty sure its just the block assembly, this unit has been installed in a slk32 without the gears i pressume so i think your safe.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:28 PM

Steve, tell us what it does (or doesnt do ) for you?? Better grip. I was looking at their website and it seems to emphasize the cornering ability BUT not oo much on the acceleration???
430 (Jeremy) is one of the people who has one installed so I'll have to defer to his description. I really haven't had the car since I had it installed. Been trying to get the headers finished so I have only driven the car briefly. The Quaife is definitely a superior unit but considering the price, the Phantom Grip is not a bad choice. It is also cheap enough that if you don't like it, you can always go with a Quaife later. However, I think you will probably like it.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Zeppelin
The Kleemann unit comes with hardened spider gears is the Phantom Grip unit going to do the same?
No, they reuse the spider gears as far as I know.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:54 PM

SLK32
Are you sure the Kleeman comes with hardend spider gears? Forget what the marketing material says I would like to hear a first or second hand account on whether or not it is true.

The Phantom Grip does not. It is just the block unit.

I had the shop install the Phantom Grip so I can't comment on ease of install. But you can pretty much send Phantom grip your whole diff and they will install the unit at location. The shop charged standard R&R rate as far as I know.

The LSD does help with both cornering and straight line acceleration. The hooks up better but it does not change the laws of physics - you will still get wheel spin.

At a recent track event (on a wet track) we tried drifting the car. I believe it would go further than without the LSD but it would not let you go around the track sideways.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:45 PM

They just messaged me back saying the unit comes back installed!
Old 06-03-2008, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by Max Hughes
They just messaged me back saying the unit comes back installed!
So as I understand you if we send the C32 Diff to PhantomGrip they will for the $499.00 return the C32 Diff with LSD installed.

Does that include shipping to return? So am I to presume safely/accurately shipping back is extra?

I say we try a group buy to see if a lower price will be had with multiple units sold...who is in if price is right?

1. C32used

Last edited by c32used; 06-03-2008 at 12:18 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Phantomgrip is going to do it!! LSD's for any mercedes!!