C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

ANYone heard/used this airfilter before?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 01:22 PM

Location: dayton ohio hopefully it will be some place warm and sunny when i finish med school
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C32 AMG silver & 2003 Lancer Evolution 8 black very moded
Question ANYone heard/used this airfilter before?

the company is Pentius ( i did a search on the thread & nothing ) Didn't know if anyone has used or know anything about it. what catches my eye is the foam and paper set up...

I usually replace my air filters at every 5000miles (halfway between services A & B) only b/c i can get the paper/fleece material filters (oem filters) at a really cheap price. the filters i usually put in are BECK-ARNLEY... but i was looking at changing my plugs again (dont know why its a *****! ) and was on advanced auto part's web page and came across the Pentius Air filter

this is from the Web page:
The UltraFLOW Air Filter by Pentius has been designed to provide your engine with the clean air that is required for maximum efficiency and power output. By design, the best airflow possible is provided as impurities are removed from the intake air. Because the UltraFLOW Air Filter was designed with these factors in mind, changing to a new Pentius air filter will help your car achieve more miles from every tank of gas. Pentius UltraFLOW filters provide unbeatable performance when it comes to todays automotive filtering requirements.

The UltraFLOW Air Filter is a direct replacement for the stock air filter, while meeting or exceeding original equipment (OEM) specifications and are manufactured in strict accordance with the ISO9001 Quality Management System.

Specifications:

* Length: 13.96
* Width: 5.28
* Height: 1.65
* Outside Diameter:
* Inside Diameter:

i dont know but the foam might not do anything except restrict air flow?
Old 06-12-2008, 02:14 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
never heard of it, but it looks like a box of foam.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 AMG
Why not just get filters from a respectable brand like K&N or Green?
Old 06-12-2008, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
k/n green filter

respectable?
why not put in oe filters
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...2@Air%20Filter
30 bucks for the pair,proven to outflow k/n and provide all the cfm your engine needs.
ohlord
"GOT CODES?"
NGK 5464 plugs about 7 bucks,your 17mm spark plug boot removal tool and the whole job is done in two hours
Old 06-12-2008, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by ohlord
respectable?
30 bucks for the pair,proven to outflow k/n and provide all the cfm your engine needs.
ohlord
"GOT CODES?"
NGK 5464 plugs about 7 bucks,your 17mm spark plug boot removal tool and the whole job is done in two hours
Well to each his own and I came on this board with a wide open mind....but as to performance it was easier to get better times with aftermarket Greens or K&N filters then it was for OEM...I even felt our C32 engine run smoother with the aftermarket filters. As for the issues people had in the past well I have been a aftermarket filter user for the same time I owned the car and nothing bad has happened to me...One complaint or two doesn't mean they are all bad.

EdTV it looks more restricted then even OEM. But since obviously no one tried it here I say if you want to fork out the cash to find out...why not be the first? They can't be worse then OEM.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:39 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Thanks for the link.

Any flow charts vs K&N as mentioned? I would be interested in seeing them.

Last edited by ChicagoX; 06-12-2008 at 10:18 PM. Reason: tenses
Old 06-13-2008, 09:11 AM

Location: dayton ohio hopefully it will be some place warm and sunny when i finish med school
Originally Posted by c32used
Well to each his own and I came on this board with a wide open mind....but as to performance it was easier to get better times with aftermarket Greens or K&N filters then it was for OEM...I even felt our C32 engine run smoother with the aftermarket filters. As for the issues people had in the past well I have been a aftermarket filter user for the same time I owned the car and nothing bad has happened to me...One complaint or two doesn't mean they are all bad.

EdTV it looks more restricted then even OEM. But since obviously no one tried it here I say if you want to fork out the cash to find out...why not be the first? They can't be worse then OEM.
I thinki might try them just b/c they're not expensive and easy to replace with the OEM filters if i dont like them or see my gas mileage go down or whatever else. I use K&N filters on other cars i've owned never ran into issues like others with a "gunk buildup of oil on the MAP sensor"

respectable?
ohlord
"GOT CODES?"
yeah i get the OEM filters for even cheaper than $30 i get 2 for what its cost for usually one on other sites/vendors.

and on the 5464 plugs... thats only for 2002 C32's I dont know why but if you go to NGK's site you'll find that they use a 5344 plug for 2003/2004 C32's which is a "one step" colder plug

Originally Posted by Hjartarson
Why not just get filters from a respectable brand like K&N or Green?
I use OEM b/c there are some very reliable members who do the same and have used both brands K&N and Green who have ran into some issues.

Last edited by edtv82; 06-13-2008 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
respectable?
ohlord
"GOT CODES?"
I was just about to press the "submit order" button on my screen, for 2 K&N's for my C32, when I saw your post. You just saved me $50 and I am getting filters I KNOW I can trust.

Thanks.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:19 AM

2005 C55 AMG
Pentius is an "economy" brand OE replacement filter of Asian descent. I believe they also have some ties to Mexico manufacturing.
They are sold by CSK (Checker, Schuck's, Kragen) mostly as an import economy option for commercial sales to repair shops. I would deem them to be very much like Beck/Arnley, whereas they simply re-box different products from different manufacturers and sell them under their own name. I could go on with more info, but you'd be better off just reading their own company profile and make your own decision thereof.
http://www.pentiusautoparts.com/aboutpentius.aspx

Personally, I wouldn't use them! I would upgrade to a set of K&N's where you'll pick up approximately 7-10 dyno-proven rear wheel horsepower, and have a filter that will essentially last you forever (assuming you keep them clean). I netted out nearly 9 rwhp with mine.

I work with a lot of filter manufacturers, and this is not one I'd want to put in my $60k car if other choices were available.

OE style filters, I'd always use WIX Premium, or Purolator PureOne, or Mann-Hummel.
Performance filters, I'd always use K&N.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
I heard foam sucks at filtration compared to paper and cotton based filters.

I know paper filters the best, but doesn't allow as much flow as cotton, at least thats my experience with civic filters that are made of similar materials.

OEM usually filters the best and the K & N don't filter as well but flow better. Hence you tend to get more hp then with oem.

I've had K & N's on my c32 for past 6months without any problems. I've used K & N filters for all my cars without any problems.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
edtv82 and ChicagoX and c32used

5464 I mentioned because I thought it was a 02 c32

flow
http://www.duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm
while admitting not performed on a high performance engine,the standards for testing are done at 350cfm
At 6000 rpm just under the peak h.p. of the 3.2 engines rated 349H.P.
the theoretical requirements are 360cfm real world requirements are lower
Quote from the tests.
"the K&N “plugged up” nearly 3 times faster, passed 18 times more dirt and captured 37% less dirt. "

c32used,
by your time slips it is not the air filter that is dropping your et and upping your trap speed,that 7/10th's you dropped was not from filter changes.
Install oem filters,on a full .50 tree you need to practice your reaction time and get it a lot quicker.Time slips all over the place are a sure sign of lack of consistency.I bet your RT is all over the place
At 107 with your weight ,ET's should be in the high 12's.Ditch the sprintbooster,Put on some 17's if you have them still.
And if you read the flow test quote from above you might reconsider the comment about running aftermarket filters the whole time you have owned the car.That is a pricey jewel of an engine to have 18 times more dirt getting past the aftermarket filters you have been installing since you have owned it.
ohlord
41 years of racing have taught me a few things.One of which is you are going to neither gain 70-90hp .7et quicker with a green or k/n filter,nor lose .7 seconds (70-90hp) by having a clean oem filter installed.

practice till you can do it with your eyes closed
http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/nhraxtreesp.html
its 4am can't sleep and I'm cutting .501-.520's tired
Old 06-17-2008, 09:03 AM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by JToups386
Pentius is an "economy" brand OE replacement filter of Asian descent. I believe they also have some ties to Mexico manufacturing.
They are sold by CSK (Checker, Schuck's, Kragen) mostly as an import economy option for commercial sales to repair shops. I would deem them to be very much like Beck/Arnley, whereas they simply re-box different products from different manufacturers and sell them under their own name. I could go on with more info, but you'd be better off just reading their own company profile and make your own decision thereof.
http://www.pentiusautoparts.com/aboutpentius.aspx

Personally, I wouldn't use them! I would upgrade to a set of K&N's where you'll pick up approximately 7-10 dyno-proven rear wheel horsepower, and have a filter that will essentially last you forever (assuming you keep them clean). I netted out nearly 9 rwhp with mine.

I work with a lot of filter manufacturers, and this is not one I'd want to put in my $60k car if other choices were available.

OE style filters, I'd always use WIX Premium, or Purolator PureOne, or Mann-Hummel.
Performance filters, I'd always use K&N.
Good info. Any company that shows a Daewoo on it's website landing page is one to be aware of
Old 06-17-2008, 10:04 AM

Lightbulb

everyone's posted up good info or at least informative advise

but i was going to try the filter out just b/c it was a cheap alternative, but im gonna stick with the OEM filters like i normally do.

Also K&N/Green filters (oil based) aren't anything too special in my eyes. 7 to whatever proven HP gains... lol thats debatable. I used a K&N filter on my evo with the stock airbox before changing the intake. wasn't anything i would do a back flip over.

again i was just checking out if anyone from the MBworld community had "heard or experienced" Pentius before... b/c there are a lot of gear heads here

also about the NGK plugs p/n 5464 yeah i do drive a 2002 C32 and i already use that plug with Magnecore wires... which i broke one this past weekend but Erick from LET is hooking me up with a few extra wires he had from his car (he switched to LET plug wires im sure) but i'll probably go down that path here in a month or so... but HE and ecu tunning and Pulley's are soon to come just gotta get the wifey to agree to it
Old 06-17-2008, 10:08 PM

2002 C32 ///AMG
At quick glanze it appears to be a traditional cellulose filter with foam on the inlet side? Save your money and either go OE or Green/K&N.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:57 PM

2005 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by edtv82
everyone's posted up good info or at least informative advise

but i was going to try the filter out just b/c it was a cheap alternative, but im gonna stick with the OEM filters like i normally do.

Also K&N/Green filters (oil based) aren't anything too special in my eyes. 7 to whatever proven HP gains... lol thats debatable. I used a K&N filter on my evo with the stock airbox before changing the intake. wasn't anything i would do a back flip over.

again i was just checking out if anyone from the MBworld community had "heard or experienced" Pentius before... b/c there are a lot of gear heads here

Well, I don't know about you, but if I can pick up 7-10 actual rwhp for less than $100, I'll jump on it any day! And, it's not debatable in my case, as I dyno tested my stockers vs my K&N's, back to back. (That's the advantage of having a friend with a dyno...) I've run K&N's on everything I've owned since 1991, and as long as you keep them clean and lightly oiled, they will protect your engine just fine. Having torn apart many of my engines during rebuilds for other reasons, I'm convinced a good oil filter, synthetic oil, and K&N's will protect me adequately.
Now, if I lived down a long dirt road I might reconsider that theory, however living and driving in the city tends to be a little more forgiving. I'm also prone to cleaning them regularly...
Old 06-18-2008, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
yeah living in Los Angeles, there not much dirt in the air that would hurt your engine, just your lungs...lol.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by JToups386
Well, I don't know about you, but if I can pick up 7-10 actual rwhp for less than $100, I'll jump on it any day! And, it's not debatable in my case, as I dyno tested my stockers vs my K&N's, back to back. (That's the advantage of having a friend with a dyno...) I've run K&N's on everything I've owned since 1991, and as long as you keep them clean and lightly oiled, they will protect your engine just fine. Having torn apart many of my engines during rebuilds for other reasons, I'm convinced a good oil filter, synthetic oil, and K&N's will protect me adequately.
Now, if I lived down a long dirt road I might reconsider that theory, however living and driving in the city tends to be a little more forgiving. I'm also prone to cleaning them regularly...
Again, the 7 to 10 HP gain is debatable... not all people who've ran on the dyno gained as much as you're saying... or gained anything at all. and dyno Numbers very from dyno types, who's performing the run, to even the humidity can change the over all results. I've ran K&N and other performance filters on most of my modded vehicles( i still feel that K&N is more a vanity type product ).
Like you said it performs best when its clean and oiled lightly... but really am i going to do that as often as i should to get the MOST HP out of my air filters? probably not. I and most MB owner use only Synthetic oil & lubes. I use Mobile One as an engine oil for the most part unless in my Evo I use Royal Purple and AMS ( i feel RP is better on the strip and AMS is better on the track... dont know why but just my preference i guess ) and if you're driving down dirt/dusty roads all the time... i would look into a Cummins or Detroit Diesel Truck ( those turbos can handle that abuse ) but to sum it all up im not saying that you're not getting the HP gains but changing your air filters to get HP gains is like changing the plugs and wires... you might get a few number increases but nothing thats going to be all that noticeable (maybe to you b/c you're in your car more) but your passengers wont notice... if you're a drag or track guru and that .001 means changing and keeping your filters clean more power to you

but my whole reasoning for asking about the above filter is b/c i'm always interested in NEW products for our cars. just wanna get input before i do anything. I usually trust the advice i get from some of the older memebers/ creditable members on the MBworld Community.

Last edited by edtv82; 06-18-2008 at 11:42 PM.
Old 10-17-2022, 07:05 AM

2019 sentra Sr
Response about pentius ultra flow

I have one it don’t do to well it affects my gas mileage and I feel like it restricts air as well. Got a k&n drop in and won’t regret it