C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Need help in ATLANTA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 10:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'12 E63, E55(sold), C32 (sold), '65 Skylark GS 445 convertible, '12 ML350
Need help in ATLANTA

My C32 is sitting at RBM right now and apparently needs a new SC Pulley & Clutch assembly. A belt threw on Sat. and my water pump had to be replaced along with another pulley...once they did that, they're now recommending the SC work.

That said, if I'm having to do that, I may as well upgrade to an after market underdrive pulley. Basically the same price.

RBM won't install any non-factory parts. I guess it's their policy.

Can anyone recommend a good shop in the Atlanta metro area that would install aftermarket parts and knows Mercedes VERY well?
Old 09-04-2008, 11:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not an AMG :(
Originally Posted by pullejo
My C32 is sitting at RBM right now and apparently needs a new SC Pulley & Clutch assembly. A belt threw on Sat. and my water pump had to be replaced along with another pulley...once they did that, they're now recommending the SC work.

That said, if I'm having to do that, I may as well upgrade to an after market underdrive pulley. Basically the same price.

RBM won't install any non-factory parts. I guess it's their policy.

Can anyone recommend a good shop in the Atlanta metro area that would install aftermarket parts and knows Mercedes VERY well?
That's rubbish - to my knowledge, RBM is actually an authorized RennTech dealership. Maybe they've changed their policy though. Which RBM are you talking about? (RBM of Atlanta or Atlanta North)

Why are they saying that you need your SC pulley and clutch replaced? It could be just the bearing. That will cost you all of about $30!

Anyway - more about information that you can use:
I only know of 2 independents in the Atlanta area:
A. Revolution Benz (on Dekalb Industrial)
B. MBWorld has a guy that may be able to hook you up (mbenzman - a.k.a. 'Rich'). Send him a PM.

FWIW, I can also give you a hand (obviously depending on what you need done!)
Old 09-04-2008, 01:38 PM

I think it IS just the bearing!!!!!!!!

There's a new Benz/BMW shop right down the street from me in Vinings so I'm taking it there this afternoon to see what they say.

And it's RBM North. Rubbish. Grrrrrrrrrrr.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:08 PM

Picked up my car. Without them doing the "supercharger pulley" blah blah blah work.

Run's FINE and STRONG.

When they told me that I was going to need a new pulley for my supercharger, I called Jerry at LET motorsports and left him a message. He called me back just as I was pulling up to RBM. He questioned what they recommended as well and told me to do a quick test (place my hand on the SC pulley while at idle and stop the pulley...if it makes noise, its something internal...if the noise stops...it's the bearings). I told my service advisor I'd like to do it he gave me a look of awe. When I opened the hood...the "cement mixer like sound" (as they described it) was oddly not present. I didn't even do the test and drove off.

Now I'm debating on just sending Jerry the $$$ I would have spent on what RBM wanted to do for a 185mm pulley and an ECU upgrade. Just based on the fact that he called me back and gave me some tips he's a stand up guy in my book and I would like to throw him some business.

Trick is now finding a new shop to do the pulley install for me.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK32
Contact mbenzman on this board. He has a shop in Roswell - Benz Werks. He has done significant work to my car.

In addition he has installed an AMG SC on his CLK55 Cab and a full size spare in his E55.

He can do simple installs to custom work.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:11 PM

RENNtech C32 AMG
Picked up my car. Without them doing the "supercharger pulley" blah blah blah work.

Run's FINE and STRONG.

When they told me that I was going to need a new pulley for my supercharger, I called Jerry at LET motorsports and left him a message. He called me back just as I was pulling up to RBM. He questioned what they recommended as well and told me to do a quick test (place my hand on the SC pulley while at idle and stop the pulley...if it makes noise, its something internal...if the noise stops...it's the bearings). I told my service advisor I'd like to do it he gave me a look of awe. When I opened the hood...the "cement mixer like sound" (as they described it) was oddly not present. I didn't even do the test and drove off.

Now I'm debating on just sending Jerry the $$$ I would have spent on what RBM wanted to do for a 185mm pulley and an ECU upgrade. Just based on the fact that he called me back and gave me some tips he's a stand up guy in my book and I would like to throw him some business.

whoa, whoa, whoa, PLACE YOUR HAND ON THE PULLEY WHILE IDLING AND STOP IT???? That would rip my hand to pieces!! myne always spins?? We're talking about the smooth black part with no belt on it right?
Old 09-05-2008, 11:47 AM

2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by calimax
whoa, whoa, whoa, PLACE YOUR HAND ON THE PULLEY WHILE IDLING AND STOP IT???? That would rip my hand to pieces!! myne always spins?? We're talking about the smooth black part with no belt on it right?
+1 to this question?
Old 09-05-2008, 11:11 PM

AMG
this
Attached Thumbnails Need help in ATLANTA-5.jpg  
Old 09-06-2008, 12:27 AM

'98 C43 AMG. Obsidian Blk w/2 tone slvr/blk interior
wow its really cool to see so many people from the dirty south! and i mean dirty lol i hate atlanta. where in roswell is that guys shop?

i have a pretty competent mechanic that does good work he's off chamblee-tucker in, you guessed it, chamblee. on hwy 141 just south of 285 and the dealerships... he worked for atlanta classic for a while and the other guy who runs the shop with him worked for RBM, theyre both pretty good and love working on w203's.

carma motorsports.
404 237 1001
Old 09-06-2008, 12:29 AM

'98 C43 AMG. Obsidian Blk w/2 tone slvr/blk interior
ah nvm i found benzwerks online. apparently off hwy9 just north of mansell.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold

Run's FINE and STRONG.

Well if you don't need the money for your kides transplant or your morgage, then i say do it. Most people have been pretty happy with the upgrades and see it money well spent. Just see as contributing to the economy. ..
Old 09-06-2008, 06:23 PM

'03 C32, '08 ML63
Talk to Rich at Benzwerks. I just went through all this with my c32. Had to get towed from Alpharetta down to his shop. He did a fantastic job too. I assure you I'll be relying on him for service now.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:31 AM

E320
pullejo - I am the service manager at RBM-North in Alpharetta, GA. After reading your post, I wanted to check into what happened. I have done as much research as I can without your personal info, but I was unable to find any information about a C32 being here lately for water pump repairs.

I am very interested in finding out why you were told that RBM of Atlanta-North would not install an aftermarket part for you. This is not our policy. We have installed many non safety related aftermarket parts in the past and would be happy to do so for you at your request. Please call me or send me a PM to discuss this further so that I can prevent this from happening in the future.

I hope that this post is considered to be within the forum guidelines. I am a member under a different ID and have set up this new ID so that my personal posts are not associated with work. I prefer not to relate posts to our company, but there is no other way in this situation.

Scott