Primary cat converter melted

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 04:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Eleventeen
Just make sure you don't get the metal substrate type of cat. You'll be in the same boat in as little as a month. I tried these and they collapsed internally. Too much heat when mounted right below the manifolds like our stock setup.
i have read on a couple of forums that the metal substrates are more resistant to heat than that of ceramic. i do remember from my chemistry days that ceramic becomes more brittle as it is heated. also, if ceramic were better with regards to not failing, why are they generally cheaper? supposedly the metallic ones flow more too. is all this true?

just looking for some clarificaiton.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by jturkel
i have read on a couple of forums that the metal substrates are more resistant to heat than that of ceramic. i do remember from my chemistry days that ceramic becomes more brittle as it is heated. also, if ceramic were better with regards to not failing, why are they generally cheaper? supposedly the metallic ones flow more too. is all this true?

just looking for some clarificaiton.
Yes, I think the main advantage is the higher flow rate. If you look inside, it's basically some sort of corrugated foil (looks like the edges of a cardboard box). You can practically see right through the cat which is great for flow, but the material used is about the thickness of notebook paper. Mine didn't actually seem to "melt", but I think the heat softened it up enough for the exhaust pressure to try to push the core right through the output end of the cat. That corrugated metal compressed and choked off exhaust flow at the exit of both cats. Jerry posted some pictures up a couple of months ago; he had the same issue and his pictures looked identical to what the insides of my cats looked like.

Jerry's thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c55-amg-w203/249273-high-rpm-misfire-solved.html
Old 09-27-2008, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Eleventeen
Yes, I think the main advantage is the higher flow rate. If you look inside, it's basically some sort of corrugated foil (looks like the edges of a cardboard box). You can practically see right through the cat which is great for flow, but the material used is about the thickness of notebook paper. Mine didn't actually seem to "melt", but I think the heat softened it up enough for the exhaust pressure to try to push the core right through the output end of the cat. That corrugated metal compressed and choked off exhaust flow at the exit of both cats. Jerry posted some pictures up a couple of months ago; he had the same issue and his pictures looked identical to what the insides of my cats looked like.

Jerry's thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=249273
so in the ceramic cats, the foil is more resistant to heat and thus more durable to run out our car?
Old 09-27-2008, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by jgsx
AFRs are fine according to my reader. There's no oil consumption. *WARNING* THE FOLLOWING IS ONLY A THEORY -- I'm wondering if the higher boost levels are raising EGTs to the point where they accelerate the againg of the cats (I have factory primary cats, 38k miles). I started having the tell-tale high rpm misfires about 3k miles after raising my boost. That may be enough time to melt 'em. Things were great initially. Part throttle driving is normal.

I'll know more in a few days.
It's an interesting theory... logically, I'd say it makes sense - running higher boost and richer tunes vs. stock might very well be shortening the useful lives of the primary cats. A 178mm crank pullied car with a flat 12-12.5:1 AFR would make less power (probably significantly less), but might not suffer these same issues...
Old 10-13-2008, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W210 E55 & W204 C63
I'm going to change my other cat today, it appears that it is also malfunctioning. I'm just going to replace both primaries with aftermarket ones. However I keep being warned that my CEL will come on. What is the optimal Cell count to use for this not to happen?

Thank you!
Old 12-11-2008, 01:44 AM

W203 C32 AMG, W124 E300D
Didnt want to make a new thread so...

I want to order some catalytics for my C32 as ive been pushing it to the side for awhile. But id like to make 100% sure that i should get 2.5 pipes on the cats to replace the primary cats or are they a different size?
Old 12-11-2008, 02:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Measure

the pipes.
And are you under 80k miles?Then you would still be under 8/80 warranty.