Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W210 E55 & W204 C63
Primary cat converter melted

Hello!
Well I havn't had my car running like its supposed to for about 6 weeks. My dealership had it for more than two weeks and I just recieved a word from my advisor that the problem to cylinder misfires is the catalytic converter. But that's just a maybe! It could be more stay tunned !
$1400 parts, 1900 total to replace it lawl.

My dad is real happy right now and I was supposed to get a big screen TV next weekend... Nice!

Oh well... Any suggestions of aftermarket cat converters for C32's that are cheaper than MB's but have the same function?
Old 09-15-2008, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by kindafast
Hello!
Well I havn't had my car running like its supposed to for about 6 weeks. My dealership had it for more than two weeks and I just recieved a word from my advisor that the problem to cylinder misfires is the catalytic converter. But that's just a maybe! It could be more stay tunned !
$1400 parts, 1900 total to replace it lawl.

My dad is real happy right now and I was supposed to get a big screen TV next weekend... Nice!

Oh well... Any suggestions of aftermarket cat converters for C32's that are cheaper than MB's but have the same function?
If no warranty left gets race cats and still get the Big screen TV
Old 09-15-2008, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210 E55 & W204 C63
Where could I find these race cats you speak of my friend?
Old 09-15-2008, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
I have the Magnaflow cats which are supposed to be higher flowing. I seem to remember them being something like 100 cell but don't quote me on that.
Doubt it does much for power to the wheels but I would think it has to be better than OEM. Maybe a pony or two and better sound. I had my rear resonator deleted at the same time the front cats were replace so I don't know if the better sound is just from the resonators being gone or not.

Here is a link - http://www.car-sound.com/02product/universal/race.asp

Last edited by SilverBulletAMG; 09-15-2008 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
I've got a pair of new magnaflow race cats. $140 for the pair shipped.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210 E55 & W204 C63
What is the entrance and exit diameter for C32 primary catalytic converters?
And what is this cell stuff?

I went to Mitas today and they said magnaflow doesn't make anything for C32's and that its only factory specific. A guy from a local euro shop said the same thing. But I keep reading stories about how others used aftermarket catalytic converters. Do they fit perfectly? Cuz the guy from Mitas said they wouldn't fit, but he didn't seem like he was sure about it.

lol why did I ****ing buy a used mercedes

Last edited by kindafast; 09-15-2008 at 04:12 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
What is the entrance and exit diameter?
lol why did I ****ing buy a used mercedes instead of a new Mustang.
The cells are basically just how free flowing they are. CA and a few other states require a higher count in order to pass their tests. At least that is how it was explained to me.
Why did you buy a Bez instead of a Ford? New 'stang or not, that's a no brainer. Class, style, and with the AMG...performance and room to grow.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
What is the entrance and exit diameter for C32 primary catalytic converters?

I went to Mitas today and they said magnaflow doesn't make anything for C32's and that its only factory specific. A guy from a local euro shop said the same thing. But I keep reading stories about how others used aftermarket catalytic converters. Do they fit perfectly? Cuz the guy from Mitas said they wouldn't fit, but he didn't seem like he was sure about it.

lol why did I ****ing buy a used mercedes
Don't go to Midas to get that kind of stuff done. Downpipes at the cat section are about 2.5" Each downpipe is $1400 for either the left or right side. All shops will tell you to get factory downpipes/cats because they are afraid of legal rammications of using aftermarket cats. What the guys told you at the shops is correct; Magnaflow does not make factory bolt-on cats that are vehicle specific for a C32. That does not mean Magnaflow cats won't work. They work fine, especially if you're not in CA.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210 E55 & W204 C63
Originally Posted by SilverBulletAMG
The cells are basically just how free flowing they are. CA and a few other states require a higher count in order to pass their tests. At least that is how it was explained to me.
Why did you buy a Bez instead of a Ford? New 'stang or not, that's a no brainer. Class, style, and with the AMG...performance and room to grow.
lol you got me there quickly! I changed the Mustang thing in 30 seconds
Old 09-15-2008, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210 E55 & W204 C63
Originally Posted by pshek
Don't go to Midas to get that kind of stuff done. Downpipes at the cat section are about 2.5" Each downpipe is $1400 for either the left or right side. All shops will tell you to get factory downpipes/cats because they are afraid of legal rammications of using aftermarket cats. What the guys told you at the shops is correct; Magnaflow does not make factory bolt-on cats that are vehicle specific for a C32. That does not mean Magnaflow cats won't work. They work fine, especially if you're not in CA.
So if I get the ones you're offering MB will install them no problemo?
Old 09-15-2008, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID

Have a Magnaflow Part # that will work for the C32???
Old 09-15-2008, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
[/B]

Have a Magnaflow Part # that will work for the C32???
It's universal for the most part as long as the pipe size is the same. I went to an exhaust shop and they hooked it up. I don't have a pt # but maybe pshek does. I'm sure there are many that will work though.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:21 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Just make sure you don't get the metal substrate type of cat. You'll be in the same boat in as little as a month. I tried these and they collapsed internally. Too much heat when mounted right below the manifolds like our stock setup.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C32
What's going on with all these sudden cat failures? I recently bumped up my boost, and now I'm having the same misfire issue. Currently looking into the cats . . .
Old 09-18-2008, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
under 8years

and 80.000 miles oem cats are warranteed.
if you are over those limits
www.racepages.com
or eastern cat
for oe cats about 65 bucks each,just have a custom exhaust shop splice them in.
ohlord
Old 09-18-2008, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Originally Posted by jgsx
What's going on with all these sudden cat failures? I recently bumped up my boost, and now I'm having the same misfire issue. Currently looking into the cats . . .
Make sure your car's engine is not leaking oil or running rich. It may cause the element in the cats to burn up a lot faster than normal. My friend's old volvo eats oil. He has to add oil very frequently. His cats were fouled and he couldn't pass smog because of an issue with his engine.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Hey Joe how you been? If you are in town try to make the US41 Drag day.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Make sure your car's engine is not leaking oil or running rich. It may cause the element in the cats to burn up a lot faster than normal. My friend's old volvo eats oil. He has to add oil very frequently. His cats were fouled and he couldn't pass smog because of an issue with his engine.
AFRs are fine according to my reader. There's no oil consumption. *WARNING* THE FOLLOWING IS ONLY A THEORY -- I'm wondering if the higher boost levels are raising EGTs to the point where they accelerate the againg of the cats (I have factory primary cats, 38k miles). I started having the tell-tale high rpm misfires about 3k miles after raising my boost. That may be enough time to melt 'em. Things were great initially. Part throttle driving is normal.

I'll know more in a few days.

Last edited by jgsx; 09-18-2008 at 10:27 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Originally Posted by c32used
Hey Joe how you been? If you are in town try to make the US41 Drag day.
When is that?
Old 09-19-2008, 01:49 AM

W203 C32 AMG, W124 E300D
Originally Posted by ohlord
and 80.000 miles oem cats are warranteed.
if you are over those limits
www.racepages.com
or eastern cat
for oe cats about 65 bucks each,just have a custom exhaust shop splice them in.
ohlord
Can you point me to those cats for the C32 please.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:51 AM

W203 C32 AMG, W124 E300D
Well my cats blew and as far as i could see no leaking oil, and im on top of my oil changes. Im not sure if im running rich though, how would you be able to tell if your running to rich?
Old 09-19-2008, 02:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Originally Posted by greasybenz
Well my cats blew and as far as i could see no leaking oil, and im on top of my oil changes. Im not sure if im running rich though, how would you be able to tell if your running to rich?
You too? How many miles are on your car? You can take your car to a dyno shop that does AFR readouts. That's how I checked the AFR on my car when I dynoed it. It was doing 11.7 all throughout the rev band and stayed level. I compared my dyno to another C32 with pullies and the AFR went way too rich at the upper RPM limit.

Another way might be to bring it into a smog station for a test.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:43 PM

W203 C32 AMG, W124 E300D
You too? How many miles are on your car? You can take your car to a dyno shop that does AFR readouts. That's how I checked the AFR on my car when I dynoed it. It was doing 11.7 all throughout the rev band and stayed level. I compared my dyno to another C32 with pullies and the AFR went way too rich at the upper RPM limit.

Another way might be to bring it into a smog station for a test.
They blew at about 110K car now has about 116K. Ill check with a smog station. But ive done the tune-up as i have a feeling it was caused by a lack of tune.

Right now i have no cats so ill be putting some universal high flows or replacement cats in the place of the oe primary's to keep the noise down
Old 09-20-2008, 01:35 PM

W203 C32 AMG, W124 E300D
Originally Posted by Eleventeen
Just make sure you don't get the metal substrate type of cat. You'll be in the same boat in as little as a month. I tried these and they collapsed internally. Too much heat when mounted right below the manifolds like our stock setup.
Yeah ive been trying to find a Cali legal cat with a ceramic core and i found this cat on Ebay that im thinking of using.

Vibrant Ceramic Core Catalytic Converter

Looking for the ultimate high performance high flow replacement catalytic converter? The Vibrant Catalytic Converter has a ceramic core and features a 100% stainless steel shell so it will not rust. Vibrant Ceramic Core Catalytic Converters increase horsepower and torque while still meeting all EPA and CARB requirements so your car can still pass smog!

Oval Ceramic Core Catalytic Converter (2.5" inlet/outlet)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vibra...mZ120306910665
Old 09-20-2008, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
AFRs are fine according to my reader. There's no oil consumption. *WARNING* THE FOLLOWING IS ONLY A THEORY -- I'm wondering if the higher boost levels are raising EGTs to the point where they accelerate the againg of the cats (I have factory primary cats, 38k miles). I started having the tell-tale high rpm misfires about 3k miles after raising my boost. That may be enough time to melt 'em. Things were great initially. Part throttle driving is normal.

I'll know more in a few days.
Your theory might be right. There is a condition called cat overtemp, where the ECU dumps fuel at high RPM to prevent the cats from burning up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Primary cat converter melted