C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Should I buy C32?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Volvo S40 1.9T
Should I buy C32?

I have found 2002 C32 AMG for sale. 60K miles. $19.7K asking price. According to the dealer, many of the typical repair issues have been addressed:

New radiator-1 year old
New seat motor-1 year old
Reported loss of power-replaced "transmission control unit"
Fixed clicking in dash-twice-replaced footwell linkage
CEL-replaced purge valve

Looks pretty well taken care of, maintencance wise.

I have heard about the radiator leaking into the tranny and ruining it. How do you know if this is happening?

Also does this diagnosis of the loss of power seem correct. I heard it was the intercooler pump that caused this. Or could it be either ?

Thanks for everyone's advice.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002

You are asking a C32/55 forum so its should be obvious that most would say "yes" cause its not like we are going to put down our cars right?

Now back to question:

I definitely think you should get one and make sure to get an extended warranty cause you never know even though it seems as though alot of the most common issues have been resolved already. I think price-wise it may be ok but haven't researched in years so I say put a more detailed thread about the car and ask the forum members what would be a good price to offer for this car or any other and I am sure there will be many who respond with what they know or researched lately. Good luck on your decision.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 C32 AMG, 2003 E39 M5
Does the car have service records is number 1? I would never buy a car like this or any car for that matter that did not have service records. I understand when you buy from a dealer it is hard to get those with the car. Maybe you could find out where the care was serviced and see what they have for records. Like C32used said make sure you get an extended warranty if you can. Just to give you a prospective on price. I am selling my 2003 C32 with 37,XXX miles with ext warranty for 19,750.00. Car is in Exc cond no paint work what so ever.

If you do get the car see if you can get them to change the fluids (Tranny, Brakes Etc) out for you at no cost. The car is also probally going to need the IC pump replaced soon if it has not been done yet. If you are a do it yourself LET and others here have them for sale. I think if a dealer does it for you it is a good some of cash for the repair.

Originally Posted by NattyDerek
I have found 2002 C32 AMG for sale. 60K miles. $19.7K asking price. According to the dealer, many of the typical repair issues have been addressed:

New radiator-1 year old
New seat motor-1 year old
Reported loss of power-replaced "transmission control unit"
Fixed clicking in dash-twice-replaced footwell linkage
CEL-replaced purge valve

Looks pretty well taken care of, maintencance wise.

I have heard about the radiator leaking into the tranny and ruining it. How do you know if this is happening?

Also does this diagnosis of the loss of power seem correct. I heard it was the intercooler pump that caused this. Or could it be either ?

Thanks for everyone's advice.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:38 PM

2000 Volvo S40 1.9T
[QUOTE=c32used;3073220]

You are asking a C32/55 forum so its should be obvious that most would say "yes" cause its not like we are going to put down our cars right?

QUOTE]

I don't know, I have heard some pretty negative comments regarding reliability from current C32 owners...

I talked to the dealer where it was serviced and got all service records for the last 2 years, but nothing before that...

Tranny fluid, pan gasket, tranny filter, brake fluid, spark plugs, fuel filter were replaced 5 months ago...

I would only buy for $17K-$18K

Thoughts ?

All new rotors and pads-15K miles ago...
Old 09-26-2008, 01:01 PM

Volvo
As bud4ya said service records are pretty much key. When i bought mine, I sat down with the owner who had all the service records from day 1, Even had the car specs sheets that are tape to the window when a car is for sale. I did not purchase the warrenty. Mostly due to its been dealer maintained and it has been looked after carefully over and over. AMG's pretty anual about maintaince and upkeep (same goes for meredes and other german cars) because AMG are very special. If it been taken care of, rest assure that c32 will not let you down, May have a few hickups along the way but thats all part of the experience If can get a warrenty all props to ya, But like me, Im modding the crap out of mine so what ever breaks im just going to have to dish the cash out
Old 09-26-2008, 04:42 PM

2000 Volvo S40 1.9T
O.K. Just test drove it....

Very nice. Checked as many problem areas as possible: windows, roof, rust bubbles, a/c, tranny lurch. Seemed to be o.k.

I did notice that the rear suspension seemed uneven.
Right was about 1/2"-1" lower than the left. Didn't notice anything wrong while driving, but only drove for 10-15 min.

Any ideas ?
Old 09-26-2008, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by NattyDerek
I did notice that the rear suspension seemed uneven.
Right was about 1/2"-1" lower than the left. Didn't notice anything wrong while driving, but only drove for 10-15 min.

Any ideas ?
Odd. Did you point it out to the salesman or service rep at the dealership? They will find out what it is if they want a sale.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:59 PM

2000 Volvo S40 1.9T
Yeah, I mentioned it, but SHE didn't have much of an answer... If I decide to buy, I will have it checked by my own mechanic.... or Mercedes dealer
Old 09-26-2008, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W210 E55 & W204 C63
Yeah, go for it! Lots of firepower, but it gets suppressed by the maintenance costs occasionally