time to RANT!...about my pump...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 09:20 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
time to RANT!...about my pump...

so my CM30 died today less than 20min ago on the way home. i haven't check into it. I'm hoping it's just a glitch, but that probably won't happen. time to get another one or I just park the 32 and drive/get something for the 204 instead. hmm.......just feel like ranting...

found this place that has the CM30 for $145. I wish they were still $80 when I first bought mine.
http://apeusa.com/
Old 10-22-2008, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
damn frank, that sucks. Looks like you've had some bad luck with the c32 lately.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Crossfire SRT6
IC Pump

Why don't you go this route?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-...mZ190219399744

Unless you are double pullied with an upgraded heat exchanger you don't need any more than this provides. I even left the stock top on and just replaced the body which is the part that goes out. No modifying the bracket or hoses. They are $149 on ebay as well if price dictates a better product.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
If interested I have 2 spare stock pumps and only need 1....
Old 10-23-2008, 12:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 C32 1987 190E 2.3 334K miles and going
Originally Posted by FrankW
so my CM30 died today less than 20min ago on the way home. i haven't check into it. I'm hoping it's just a glitch, but that probably won't happen. time to get another one or I just park the 32 and drive/get something for the 204 instead. hmm.......just feel like ranting...

found this place that has the CM30 for $145. I wish they were still $80 when I first bought mine.
how long did the CM30 last before failure? I just installed one last month.
wonder what the CM90 will do?
BTW, I posted a thread last 9-28-08 about apeusa.com whrer I got mine for $145.00. Still less than LET.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
...I wish they were still $80 when I first bought mine.
You and I jumped on that eBay purchase just in time. They weren’t around too long at that price, huh?

Mine is like new…it is still in the spares bin lol. Let me know if you need one mañana and it’s yours.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Question

Sorry Frank but atleast you have the 204 til the new pump comes in now you are the second member to acknowledge that the cm30 died so how long you have yours? I would like to have an idea of the possible life expantancy...do you have the stock intercooler? Did you upgrade your OEM heat exchanger?
I ask so many questions to see the variation to the reason why pump may have died...I am concerned that the cm30 is overworking even with upgraded heat exchanger due to possible flow limitations due by OEM intercooler.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:55 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
I honestly have no clue how long it lasted. two years? me and john bought it at the same time.

john, let me confirm that if it's the cm30 that died. I had the car cooled down and tested it. I can definitely hear the pump working again vs earlier. I'm also now thinking it could be the pedal sensor again since this happened at low speed around 30-35mph. but hold that pump for me. i'll let you know

somehow my gut feeling tells me that CM30 doesn't die this quick.

Last edited by FrankW; 10-23-2008 at 02:59 AM.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W203 C230SS
Frank- that place you linked in your first post is a good place to deal with. I worked with them when I was building the fuel system for the LT1 engine I built for my drag truck (s10).

There is another place with a website something like that (ape.....)- can't remember what it's called exactly. They deal in LS1 and LT1 engines- they've got a bad rep for screwing people. There was a class action suit against them a while back.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
I honestly have no clue how long it lasted. two years? me and john bought it at the same time.

john, let me confirm that if it's the cm30 that died. I had the car cooled down and tested it. I can definitely hear the pump working again vs earlier. I'm also now thinking it could be the pedal sensor again since this happened at low speed around 30-35mph. but hold that pump for me. i'll let you know

somehow my gut feeling tells me that CM30 doesn't die this quick.

I hope it lasts longer than that since I am installing mine this next week.

BTW Frank, were you running 89 octane when this occurred???
Old 10-23-2008, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Merc power
I thought my went out too...but after checking it was just my wries are lose.
Got mine at LET for 120 or something... back when they had it on sale.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:52 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
ok...i believe it's my throttle position sensor on the pedal now. did some digging on the symptoms that I remember and from the forum. when the i/c pump goes out you will loose power when the supercharger's suppose to engage, but NOT from idle with minimal throttle input. The symptom that I experienced feels more like stepping on the throttle and nothing happens and the rpm would built very slowly. It doesn't feel as if the engine's trying to rev, but doesn't create any power, but rather the engine's willing to rev, but doesn't matter how hard you step on the throttle it's not going anywhere.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 C32 1987 190E 2.3 334K miles and going
ok...i believe it's my throttle position sensor on the pedal now. did some digging on the symptoms that I remember and from the forum. when the i/c pump goes out you will loose power when the supercharger's suppose to engage, but NOT from idle with minimal throttle input. The symptom that I experienced feels more like stepping on the throttle and nothing happens and the rpm would built very slowly. It doesn't feel as if the engine's trying to rev, but doesn't create any power, but rather the engine's willing to rev, but doesn't matter how hard you step on the throttle it's not going anywhere.
Strange, Frank, but, that's exactly what happened or how my car behaved before I made a decision to replace the Ford pump with the CM30. And this is my second pump replacement foray. First the Bosch, then the Ford.
Are you sure it's not the IC pump?
Old 10-25-2008, 04:31 AM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Frank,

I'm so sorry to hear of the issue!! I hope you get everything worked out asap.

Sincerely,

Aaron
Old 10-29-2008, 04:44 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
news update: guessing it's not the pump anymore, but bought new pump anyway.

The throttle went completely haywire yesterday after being parked for the weekend. starting the car the RPM went up to 2000 and drops back down to 1500-1700 idle constantly going up and down. lightly tap the throttle and the thing will shoots up to 3000-3500 and won't come down. this is in Park.

in Drive, drove the car to dealership today. the Drive idle would stay around 1000rpm and even the slightest touch of throttle feels like you are giving it a lot of gas. on rolling stops the rpm would go up and down feels like the engine's about to shut off.

it's off at the dealership now...oh well...extended warranty FTW!!!

p.s. Got a Dodge Caliber for loaner. It's got to be the biggest POS I've driven in a long time (and I thought the Pontiac G6 was the biggest POS). The POS is neither sporty or comfy. You are sitting so high up you feel like you are in a SUV and it drives like one too, but the ****ty interior space makes you feel like driving a GEO. Okay, maybe the interior space isn't that horrible, but definitely smaller than the new Corolla I've gotten last time for loaner.

I don't know what the hell Chrysler was thinking making this the replacement for the Neon.

Last edited by FrankW; 10-29-2008 at 04:50 AM.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
holy crap..damn that sucks. Maybe CPS? Seems like everyone's CPS has been going out lately.

Hope it gets fixed.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:59 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
p.s. Got a Dodge Caliber for loaner. It's got to be the biggest POS I've driven in a long time (and I thought the Pontiac G6 was the biggest POS). The POS is neither sporty or comfy. You are sitting so high up you feel like you are in a SUV and it drives like one too, but the ****ty interior space makes you feel like driving a GEO. Okay, maybe the interior space isn't that horrible, but definitely smaller than the new Corolla I've gotten last time for loaner. Going over bumps in this car it feels like it has no suspension at all yet it floats everywhere. When you brake the third brake light reflects off the rear deck and causing you couldn't see ****. The engine also grinds and moans like no other, but maybe that's because it's throwing a "oil change" light and the ecu is preserving the engine? The car is literally louder at 2500 rpm then my C32.

I don't know what the hell Chrysler was thinking making this the replacement for the Neon.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:02 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
holy crap..damn that sucks. Maybe CPS? Seems like everyone's CPS has been going out lately.

Hope it gets fixed.
it's not cps. I had the CPS died not long ago and got a new one. The car shut off while at a stop sign on the crest of a hill (live on a hill). I was having a holy-**** moment with the car rolling back while trying to push it to a flatter spot on the hill and another holy-**** moment having to jump into the car before it starts to roll forward over the crest.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:06 PM

AMG
I've been having the same symptoms in my Slk that you described. Supercharger power seems to be available at low speed but once I was on the highway , I could feel the supercharger going in and out, working for a small period of time and then back to non responsive slow rpm rise. I assume it's the water pump, this has only been going on for 2 days no lights on. I tried to listen for the pump running and felt it after the car had been taken around the block and in drive, I couldn't tell if the pump was running or not.

Last edited by l3iGD; 10-29-2008 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:06 PM

2003 C32 AMG, 2003 E39 M5
That sucks how many miles on the CM30?

Old 10-29-2008, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
p.s. Got a Dodge Caliber for loaner. It's got to be the biggest POS I've driven in a long time (and I thought the Pontiac G6 was the biggest POS). The POS is neither sporty or comfy. You are sitting so high up you feel like you are in a SUV and it drives like one too, but the ****ty interior space makes you feel like driving a GEO. Okay, maybe the interior space isn't that horrible, but definitely smaller than the new Corolla I've gotten last time for loaner. Going over bumps in this car it feels like it has no suspension at all yet it floats everywhere. When you brake the third brake light reflects off the rear deck and causing you couldn't see ****. The engine also grinds and moans like no other, but maybe that's because it's throwing a "oil change" light and the ecu is preserving the engine? The car is literally louder at 2500 rpm then my C32.

Amen to that!!! I has an SRT Neon ACR model and miss that damn car. It was a POS in build quality, BUT you could race it, trash it, abuse it and drive it like a DD all day long. I even went to Rockford to the 'Neon ACR Driving School" , a driving event back in the day and the old Neons, despite their faults, were decent autocross cars. They were the ONLY cars at the time capable of keeping up and beating the Miatas in Solo, Solo II and Pro Solo!!!
Old 10-29-2008, 04:30 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by l3iGD
I've been having the same symptoms in my Slk that you described. Supercharger power seems to be available at low speed but once I was on the highway , I could feel the supercharger going in and out, working for a small period of time and then back to non responsive slow rpm rise. I assume it's the water pump, this has only been going on for 2 days no lights on. I tried to listen for the pump running and felt it after the car had been taken around the block and in drive, I couldn't tell if the pump was running or not.
check my update at post #15. don't think it's the pump anymore in this incident.

but if you are having the problem you described it is the problem with the pump for you. It won't throw any warning lights as the pump is for cooling the intake air. when the IAT gets too high the supercharger will not engage or it will disengage when you pick up speed.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
just doing some forum searching cause i am curious about the intercooler pump's life span. after we all changed it once what sort of life cycle have you guys been seeing? i have gone about 35k on this latest one with no issues so far. *knock on wood*
Old 09-24-2011, 04:38 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
well, i'm still on the same CM30 pump that I replaced the original with. it must have been at least 40-50k miles now, but I can't be sure. all that fiasco in this thread was caused by idiot tech from the dealership destroying the pins in my tcu connector when they plugged it back in.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 c32 AMG 2012 c250 Coupe
well, i'm still on the same CM30 pump that I replaced the original with. it must have been at least 40-50k miles now, but I can't be sure. all that fiasco in this thread was caused by idiot tech from the dealership destroying the pins in my tcu connector when they plugged it back in.
Im on my second pump Bosch Ford Lightning. Probably about 10k miles.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: time to RANT!...about my pump...