C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Let Intake Installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 08:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLA
Let Intake Installed

PITA to get the y-splitter in.. but finally everything is jammed in. Took it around the block, unfortunately its raining, so I couldn't get on it but car right away showed better throttle response. Only concern is that the intake got hot after a short run, maybe need to wrap it with some heat screen. Anyway here is a pic;

Also this doesnt look good. Planning to dremel the clip down.

So, when I removed my C3P intake I noticed a ton of oil on it. I looked around and I see a bit of a leak on my recirculating cover.. I just dont know how it all ended up on the intake. Anyways, good news is that the filter looks like it prevented it from getting through. More pics.. does anyone know where all this gunk is coming from?

Old 12-11-2008, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
for heat issues, try using some kind of heat insulating wrap, like Thermotec. you can buy it from summitracing.com

my Code3 filter looked like that when i removed it. Brandon has a DIY on here somewhere to help prevent that from accumulating.

your splitter is rubbing against the pinch weld. just get some kind of rubber piece to put over it (like door jamb lining).
Old 12-11-2008, 08:34 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
I have run the LET intake on a 80 degree day at the track running multiple times with no ill effects...

Just an fyi

just curious to why the filter change?
Old 12-11-2008, 09:04 PM

CLA
Originally Posted by jturkel
for heat issues, try using some kind of heat insulating wrap, like Thermotec. you can buy it from summitracing.com

my Code3 filter looked like that when i removed it. Brandon has a DIY on here somewhere to help prevent that from accumulating.

your splitter is rubbing against the pinch weld. just get some kind of rubber piece to put over it (like door jamb lining).
Thats what I had in mind.. still not sure if intake temps. will make a difference at such a high rate of flow. Guess more test drives will tell.

When you pulled off your C3 intake, was your throttle coated with oil gunk? It just seems excessive to me.

Thanks for the tip on the splitter.. ill see if I can squeeze something over the weld.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:20 PM

CLA
Originally Posted by loungn14
I have run the LET intake on a 80 degree day at the track running multiple times with no ill effects...

Just an fyi

just curious to why the filter change?
Good to know! I just found an article from AEM that discusses intake material and temps. According to the article http://www.aempower.com/ViewNews.aspx?NewsID=7 its a non-issue.

I always intended to use ITG filters from the beginning. I've used them in the past and have been very happy with their performance. ITG is popular in Euro used on Formula 1 cars, etc. http://www.itgairfilters.com/ These sock filters are a perfect fit and are much cheaper than the HKS units.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:28 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by razormb
Good to know! I just found an article from AEM that discusses intake material and temps. According to the article http://www.aempower.com/ViewNews.aspx?NewsID=7 its a non-issue.

I always intended to use ITG filters from the beginning. I've used them in the past and have been very happy with their performance. ITG is popular in Euro used on Formula 1 cars, etc. http://www.itgairfilters.com/ These sock filters are a perfect fit and are much cheaper than the HKS units.

ah cool....thanks for the info. I might have to try them out
Old 12-11-2008, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Thats what I had in mind.. still not sure if intake temps. will make a difference at such a high rate of flow. Guess more test drives will tell.

When you pulled off your C3 intake, was your throttle coated with oil gunk? It just seems excessive to me.

Thanks for the tip on the splitter.. ill see if I can squeeze something over the weld.
it would be a minimal difference because the air is in their for such a short period of time, but it wouldnt hurt because the intake IS sitting on a rather hot spot.

no my TB was not coated with oil. i think Brandon made some kind of contraption (oil catch can or something) to help prevent this from occurring. there is a thread for it somewhere on this forum.

yah, i took off all the clips on the firewall to prevent running and that pinch weld really concerned me. you should be fine if you just line it with that material. should be available at autozone or something
Old 12-11-2008, 11:01 PM

CLK550
Interesting. I might have to check them out.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:06 PM

CLA
ah cool....thanks for the info. I might have to try them out
np.. if your interested here is the U.S. Distributor http://www.itgfilters.net

Originally Posted by jturkel
it would be a minimal difference because the air is in their for such a short period of time, but it wouldnt hurt because the intake IS sitting on a rather hot spot.

no my TB was not coated with oil. i think Brandon made some kind of contraption (oil catch can or something) to help prevent this from occurring. there is a thread for it somewhere on this forum.

yah, i took off all the clips on the firewall to prevent running and that pinch weld really concerned me. you should be fine if you just line it with that material. should be available at autozone or something
If I do insulate, I'll try HI-Temp silicone spray coating. Because of the welds/plates I dont think I can wrap them.

yea good call on the pcv solution, I remember seeing that diy... just didn't realize I had the problem when I was reading it. Seems like that would take care of the mess.

Any special trick to getting the clips out?