C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Upgrade audio quality on a C32

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 02:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Upgrade audio quality on a C32

I'm planning to upgrade the audio of my C32. I'll put 1 3-channel amplifier, 2-way speakers in front and rear-sub.

At this moment I have only chose the amplifier: Xtant X603 (2x75 + 1x150)

2-way front speakers still not decided yet (probably something of Focal, DLS or Coral). Must be 6.5" size, right?

Regarding read-sub I don't have any idea; I want -if possible- use the same location that original comes, but I'm not sure about its size, not sure abt if it has a build-in enclosure and also if it is the best place to put it.

I'm sure some of you have upgrade audio, so all comments will be wellcome.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:17 AM

07 E550, 02 C32, 91 300E
Originally Posted by Galodourado
I'm planning to upgrade the audio of my C32. I'll put 1 3-channel amplifier, 2-way speakers in front and rear-sub.

2-way front speakers still not decided yet (probably something of Focal, DLS or Coral). Must be 6.5" size, right?

Regarding read-sub I don't have any idea; I want -if possible- use the same location that original comes, but I'm not sure about its size, not sure abt if it has a build-in enclosure and also if it is the best place to put it.

I mounted a 12" sub into the spare tire well (Since the 2002's didn't come with spare tires), this way I didn't lose any trunk space. You will have to have custom "floor" made for the trunk so that sound can get through easily, but it worked well for me. The first aid kit enclosure can be a little rattly but that can be fixed.

If you want to keep your steering wheel controls, you might want to look into one of the "cleansweep" style systems, otherwise you're stuck with the crappy Bose speakers.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
Originally Posted by DarkXerox
I mounted a 12" sub into the spare tire well (Since the 2002's didn't come with spare tires), this way I didn't lose any trunk space. You will have to have custom "floor" made for the trunk so that sound can get through easily, but it worked well for me. The first aid kit enclosure can be a little rattly but that can be fixed.

If you want to keep your steering wheel controls, you might want to look into one of the "cleansweep" style systems, otherwise you're stuck with the crappy Bose speakers.
lol you sure about that? my 02 had a spare tire.

Yeah one of the first mods i did was getting rid of the bose system. It was worse then the sound system in my mom's camry.

I used infinity speakers and JL subs.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:05 AM

07 E550, 02 C32, 91 300E
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
lol you sure about that? my 02 had a spare tire.

Yeah one of the first mods i did was getting rid of the bose system. It was worse then the sound system in my mom's camry.

I used infinity speakers and JL subs.
Yep, only came with a jack and tirefit. The ones produced in 2001 didn't have them. People back in the day on C32life.com had the same deal. We also didn't have plaques or even the flat area for one on the supercharger.

Focals are really good speakers if you plan on using them, our E550 has them and they sound great--albeit very expensive.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:44 AM

C32 AMG
Mine is 2001 (Spain) and came also without spare tire, so I also thought abt install sub there, but I'm afraid the sound came out very poor because of isolation on trunk floor and tray.

PD: I don't have Bose sound, but I'll use Cleansweep or a good low-high adaptor to maintain steering controls.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
As I the only one who thinks that my stock C32 sound system is very good? I have the "premium audio" option (I think that is what it is called). I have always been very happy with it.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK550
Originally Posted by Vomit
As I the only one who thinks that my stock C32 sound system is very good? I have the "premium audio" option (I think that is what it is called). I have always been very happy with it.
I've liked mine so far.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Vomit
Same here. I added a 12" JL W7 and a 1000.1 JL amp and kept everything else stock. I just miss the fine tuning you can do with an aftermarket deck, but for a stock system I was very impressed.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
i like mine, though i plan on upgrading the sub and getting an amp.

and my 02 did not come with a spare tire.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:03 PM

RENNtech C32 AMG
I don't mind the BOSE system in mine either, but I do like the clarity of the newer Harmon Kardon system's. Can anyone tell me why or how to stop the stereo from randomly spiking the volume to max?? It seems to happen when the volume is lower and when the bass hits. It scares the crap outta me, and its so random! I'm currently using a 12" Rockford Fosgate Power T2 @ 2Ohm and Rockford Fosgate Power 1500 amp with the Peripheral brand line out converter. I think that line out converter is the weak point, but at the time I couldn't find anything better quality, it seems that they are all pretty cheap, around $20-$30. Or is this an issue of the auto sound leveling system? Anyone else had this problem? Its happened in both my C's 03, and 02.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i guess i'm just use to having aftermarket speakers since i had them in all my other cars. I think the mids on the bose system is pretty weak. The highs are ok.

i agree the harmon karmon is a better oem setup. My friend had them on his bmw and they were pretty good for stock speakers.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:05 PM

2002 C32 AMG

I attempted to mount a sub in the original location to achieve a simple, clean install; it does not work well. After literally 5 minutes, I removed the speaker and rethought my approach. The sheet metal that composes the rear dash is way too flimsy causing the speaker and everything else to bounce around at higher volumes. You'll be much better off mounting the sub in a proper rigid box.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:13 PM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Eleventeen
I attempted to mount a sub in the original location to achieve a simple, clean install; it does not work well. After literally 5 minutes, I removed the speaker and rethought my approach. The sheet metal that composes the rear dash is way too flimsy causing the speaker and everything else to bounce around at higher volumes. You'll be much better off mounting the sub in a proper rigid box.

Just today someone told me exactly the same: Can't use original location to put a sub stronger than original because of vibration.

Most probably I'll follow some of us and will mount the sub in a fiberglass sealed box in spare tire space.

Just to clarify: front woofer speakers are 6.5", right??
Old 12-21-2008, 11:17 PM

07 E550, 02 C32, 91 300E
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
i guess i'm just use to having aftermarket speakers since i had them in all my other cars. I think the mids on the bose system is pretty weak. The highs are ok.

i agree the harmon karmon is a better oem setup. My friend had them on his bmw and they were pretty good for stock speakers.
Yeah the H&K's that were in the E550 were better than the Bose for sure, but still were kinda weak. But at the time we had the C32 done (late 2001) JL didn't have its cleansweep system that helped tap into the OEM fiber optic connections to retain steering wheel and COMAND connectivity.

However, if you don't have COMAND, the easiest thing is to just install a new headunit, speakers, and the works. Otherwise you might want to look into the cleansweep system.

But yeah for the subwoofer, your best bet is to do an enclosure in the spare tire well so you don't lose your rear seat folding. I mounted the amp back there onto the ceiling of the trunk and that worked fine too. Make sure that your enclosure has enough cubic feet for your sub's requirements too.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:45 PM

W203 C32 AMG, W124 E300D
The bose system in my 96 S420 was 100x better then the bose in my C32, but i added a single 12" sub with a small amp to at least give me a bit more bass. So its better now, i just wish i could have the W140's audio system in the car
Old 12-22-2008, 03:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 C32 1987 190E 2.3 334K miles and going
I'm fine with my stock sound system but could use an improvement.
In my old '87 190e, i had an 8" JL sub with a speaker specific dimensioned box. Best sounding sub I've ever listened, to for 15 years until my 19 yr old teenager blew it up. The car had its own OEM amp but I had a dedicated amp to run the 8" sub.

On the C32, I've cranked the volume all the way up, I mean ALL the way!!
It did not crack or pop nor have any distortion whatsoever. Apparrently
there is a circuit protection system built in.

The downside is, you have to crank it up a little bit to appreciate the low
frequencies bass response.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah the H&K's that were in the E550 were better than the Bose for sure, but still were kinda weak. But at the time we had the C32 done (late 2001) JL didn't have its cleansweep system that helped tap into the OEM fiber optic connections to retain steering wheel and COMAND connectivity.

However, if you don't have COMAND, the easiest thing is to just install a new headunit, speakers, and the works. Otherwise you might want to look into the cleansweep system.

But yeah for the subwoofer, your best bet is to do an enclosure in the spare tire well so you don't lose your rear seat folding. I mounted the amp back there onto the ceiling of the trunk and that worked fine too. Make sure that your enclosure has enough cubic feet for your sub's requirements too.
well right now i have infinity speakers and 10'' jl subs. I dont have room for it in the spare tire well since i have my car computer there..
Old 12-26-2008, 04:57 AM

C32 AMG
Have you made any modifications on trunk floor (open hole ontop of spare tire) or simply put it inside? I don't want a very big sub and make a lot of noise, so I'm afraid that being so much enclosed you must give it a lot of power to bass reach inside car.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG(sold), 2009 CL550, 2010 S550 Majestic Black, 2010 ML550, 2006 C230, 2009 Venza
get infinity kappa speakers and a nice JL audio SUB. Thats what i have my on my c230 and its top of the line. Plus you can find everything on ebay for a fraction of the cost.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Exclamation

read my Kenwood installation link in my sig it may help