AMG Supercharger retro fit thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 01:38 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by Dan ****
Looks very similar to my pulley that I installed on my CLK55 with the IHI AMG blower.
It really came out nice.. top notch machining.. IT took me 5 trips to the parts store to get belts that fit.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:49 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
interesting you're not gonna run dual airbox.

how did you tackle the electro magnetic clutch issue?
Old 03-19-2009, 02:01 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by FrankW

The clutch has its own power supply so it its always on. There are some safety nets worked into the system too. IF the IC pump ever fails it will trip the supercharger clutch and shut off the boost. there is some nice wiring work done on my car to make this happen. Also we have an independent fuse that if by some reason it blows it will also shut down the SC.

Another cool thing is when i'm in the staging lanes at the track the independent intercooler system will continue to cool the supercharger down by flowing cold or cooler fluid i should say, though out the system.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
Originally Posted by hooleyboy
I respectfully disagree...
My Supercharger will be running 8psi of boost with a fully independent intercooler system complete with its own reservoir, custom made AEM intake along with a custom dyno tune.

I'e said to myself may of times "what if I dont make 450whp?" Its not a big deal. I've had my heart broken on a Dyno Dynamics dyno many of times. I just dont see any reason why my setup wont make 100whp more. Its really going to be be a nicely thought out setup.

Kleemann kits run about 6psi of boost if I'm correct? two psi more on an 11.1CR car is what going to get me to my goal.

This car wont be the fastest car, but with the AMG Lysholm blower able to make more boost then Renntech, Kleemann, or HPS blowers could be the deciding factor.... we'll see what happens Thursday when its on the dyno.

I wouldn't even be surprised if it eclipses the 450 mark. Not to mention I'm always running a mix or race fuel. Win loose or draw I will post the results for you all.
I don't think you'll have problem hitting 450rwhp with your air intake, custom cooling and more boost. But be careful about running 8psi for too long as your piston heads will look like mine in about 1 year and your rings will start to fail like mine did. If you plan to do the pistons and valves next year then go for it at 8psi.

Last edited by AMGSC; 03-19-2009 at 02:15 AM.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
E320CDI, CLK55, and a Smart
Originally Posted by FrankW

The dual airbox isnt possible since the C55 uses a Air mass sensor where as the E55K uses a density meter.

In theory, I guess you could use a dual airbox like the stock E55k and cut the signal coming out of the air mass sensor in half.

My AMG S/C clutch is always "on" too.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Crossfire SRT6
Originally Posted by splinter
Looks great, hooleyboy! Can’t wait to see it deep into the 11s. cruzinquick may have to step it up. :-)

*off topic*
Josh- did you get your pulley squared away?
He's going to have to learn to drive that monster first. I'm sure it will be tricky at first. He better order another set of hoosiers because the ones I gave him won't last past saturday night.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:41 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by cruzinquick
He's going to have to learn to drive that monster first. I'm sure it will be tricky at first. He better order another set of hoosiers because the ones I gave him won't last past saturday night.
step ahead of ya
Old 03-19-2009, 04:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
V12-Biturbo
I respectfully disagree...
My Supercharger will be running 8psi of boost with a fully independent intercooler system complete with its own reservoir, custom made AEM intake along with a custom dyno tune.

I'e said to myself may of times "what if I dont make 450whp?" Its not a big deal. I've had my heart broken on a Dyno Dynamics dyno many of times. I just dont see any reason why my setup wont make 100whp more. Its really going to be be a nicely thought out setup.

Kleemann kits run about 6psi of boost if I'm correct? two psi more on an 11.1CR car is what going to get me to my goal.

This car wont be the fastest car, but with the AMG Lysholm blower able to make more boost then Renntech, Kleemann, or HPS blowers could be the deciding factor.... we'll see what happens Thursday when its on the dyno.

I wouldn't even be surprised if it eclipses the 450 mark. Not to mention I'm always running a mix or race fuel. Win loose or draw I will post the results for you all.
I'm not certain about the latest Kleemann Positive D blower, but I'm pretty sure the older twinscrew the other member w/210 e55 has is @ 7psi..(Rough rule of thumb est is every psi = about 13 rwhp but then you have parasitic loss to add to the calculation) You'll def need that extra reservoir cooler the faster you spin the hotter they run..

Nonetheless I too have been disappointed @ dyno results too many times to count I could give you a # of other comparo's from friends C6 Corvette's, here's (1) w/6.0 liter LS2 running Maggie mp112 @ 8-psi w/228/232-595 Comp. cam/ 160 Therm/ KB BAP/Longtube headers/Xpipe/NO cats/NGK TR-6 plugs/Custom ecu/tcu/race gas Made 350rwhp before & barely cracked 455rwhp 460rwto..NOTE this is on a 6.0 Liter vs your 5.4 Liter

(Also Comp-Cam alone was worth EZ 25+rwhp)

(Main reason I sold my C6 vette & bought the SL600 TT, sick of chasing my tail trying to get advertised HP/TQ outt've PD blowers, & didn't want to drop $20k + on APS TT system on the C6 Vette)

I'd be shocked if you came in @ 450rwhp 450rwto, but I'm in your corner I sincerely hope you hit it I def think those #'s are doable w/True Longtubes X-pipe race cats/Cams/Meth-injection/lighter whls/race gas etc...

Last edited by Thericker; 03-19-2009 at 07:05 AM.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by AMGSC
I don't think you'll have problem hitting 450rwhp with your air intake, custom cooling and more boost. But be careful about running 8psi for too long as your piston heads will look like mine in about 1 year and your rings will start to fail like mine did. If you plan to do the pistons and valves next year then go for it at 8psi.
Why would you say this? I found & old quote of yours when you were running 8si of boost plus ALL your S8 mods including the Kleemann blower, you ONLY MADE
My previous dynojet run from Vadim (my siggy) got me 444rwhp 450rwtq already.
On a Dynojet No less
Old 03-19-2009, 11:43 AM

2003 EVO 8 612whp(sold) 2005 c55 amg R35 GTR
GL can't wait to see the dyno sheet.
About how much $$ is involved to do this project?
Old 03-19-2009, 12:19 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by AMGMIZ
GL can't wait to see the dyno sheet.
About how much $$ is involved to do this project?
10k+? a long with my soul. haven't totaled it all up yet. I'm afraid to.

Lets keep our fingers crossed today that rewelded oil filter housing and tuning goes well.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Great job man Nice to see a project move along so well and so quickly.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
Originally Posted by Thericker
Why would you say this? I found & old quote of yours when you were running 8si of boost plus ALL your S8 mods including the Kleemann blower, you ONLY MADE

On a Dynojet No less
Yeah but I was running on 6 cylinders long before it was converted from HPS to Kleemann. Hardly any compression out of those 2 due to bad piston rings.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Yeah but I was running on 6 cylinders long before it was converted from HPS to Kleemann. Hardly any compression out of those 2 due to bad piston rings.
So it ran 444rwhp with two cylinders down, or was that post-fix?
Old 03-19-2009, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
So it ran 444rwhp with two cylinders down, or was that post-fix?
The two pistons, valves etc..are being replaced with the other eight custom pistons and valves now. Looks like Hooley will be done before me.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:39 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Long long day today, I was helping out with my car all day until about 8pm. we solved the oil leak so that was a good thing. We had to have it re-tig welded because the metal was so contaminated on the oil filter housing. We had a guy tig weld the housing who fabricates custom headers for an Indy car race team.

We put the car on the dyno and it seemed to only want to make 5psi of boost. Dont know whats up with that??? the A/F seemed to shoot strait up lean from 12 to like 15 (not good) and it did it every time. I was told it looked like taxed or over worked injectors. strange because i have E55 injectors.

There were no real dyno runs done today but i did see 410wtq with only 5psi of boost, again very very lean and that was at 3500rpm's

Should have all day tomorrow to dial the car in a trouble shoot the mega lean condition spike going on. We just might have to tune for the current boost level while i have another crank pulley machined.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:45 AM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

The lower than expected boost may be due to the ratio of the pulleys, e.g. crank diameter to sc diam.? Also is there any belt slippage? Is the clutch completely engaging?

I would check the fuel pressure and volume. Does the e55 run a beefier pump (volume) or have one inline and/or run at a higher line pressure at the rail? You could use an adjustable regulator at the return and vary that. Just don't do the hokey increased voltage to the stock pump deal to get more volume. It will fry it and you'll be buying new pumps over and over again.

Did you do a calcalation on the duty % of the injectors and pulsing etc? Did you buy them new?
Old 03-20-2009, 12:57 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by spr
The lower than expected boost may be due to the ratio of the pulleys, e.g. crank diameter to sc diam.? Also is there any belt slippage? Is the clutch completely engaging?

I would check the fuel pressure and volume. Does the e55 run a beefier pump (volume) or have one inline and/or run at a higher line pressure at the rail? You could use an adjustable regulator at the return and vary that. Just don't do the hokey increased voltage to the stock pump deal to get more volume. It will fry it and you'll be buying new pumps over and over again.

Did you do a calcalation on the duty % of the injectors and pulsing etc? Did you buy them new?
Are you saying maybe the "fuel line pressure damper" needs to be adjusted?

The A/F looked like a skateboard half pipe. It started out lean dropped to an ok'ish area and then spiked back up to lean.

After doing a bunch of math. this custom crank pulley should be running 25% less boost than a stock 55k crank pulley. the stock crank pulley on an 55k motor is 19 inches around and is six inches wide. My pulley is 14 and some change inches around and 4.5 inches wide... IKD?

Last edited by hooleyboy; 03-20-2009 at 01:01 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
E320CDI, CLK55, and a Smart
I had the exact issues with my clk55. Fuel needs will be your biggest issue.

I solved that problem partially by using a Kenny Bell Boost-a-pump and a BEGI or Vortech FMU. I was running extremely lean until I had those two installed.

My next project is to install a bigger fuel pump Bosch 0 580 254 044 Bosch Rating: 200 LPH at 72.5 PSI and 13.5 V. Also, I want to install the Split second PSC-001 to massage the MAF tables.

Your fuel injectors are fine the way they are. I'm not 100% sure what the duty cycle is on the stock injectors but they should have plenty of room left.

What did the shop do to clamp the MAF signal? Did they use resistors or a real voltage clamp like split second's voltage clamp set to 4.9V?
Old 03-20-2009, 01:24 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by Dan ****
I had the exact issues with my clk55. Fuel needs will be your biggest issue.

I solved that problem partially by using a Kenny Bell Boost-a-pump and a BEGI or Vortech FMU. I was running extremely lean until I had those two installed.

My next project is to install a bigger fuel pump Bosch 0 580 254 044 Bosch Rating: 200 LPH at 72.5 PSI and 13.5 V. Also, I want to install the Split second PSC-001 to massage the MAF tables.

Your fuel injectors are fine the way they are. I'm not 100% sure what the duty cycle is on the stock injectors but they should have plenty of room left.

What did the shop do to clamp the MAF signal? Did they use resistors or a real voltage clamp like split second's voltage clamp set to 4.9V?

We were looking at the MAFS and even swapped it out with a new Bosch one and still the A/F was spiking in the same area i'm not sure what they did for the MAFS voltage but they were very particular as to how it was set up. maybe a boost-a-pump is in order.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2019 E63s AMG
To bad you not near the midwest you could have it ready for the Dyno by the Chicago MB Dyno meet. I am headed up there (its either April 11th or 18th, not finalized yet...)

I will get some current numbers that do not have the inflated 18% included; the only dyno i have had the 18% figured in...

537 HP / 554 TQ = 440RWHP & 454RWTQ, but that was just after build built 36k miles ago
Old 03-20-2009, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

We were looking at the MAFS and even swapped it out with a new Bosch one and still the A/F was spiking in the same area i'm not sure what they did for the MAFS voltage but they were very particular as to how it was set up. maybe a boost-a-pump is in order.
I have an extra brand new Kleemann Fuel Kit (Boost a Pump, Fuel Regulator, Voltage clamp, etc...) if the prices you're quoted get are too high...
Old 03-20-2009, 01:02 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

FYI, I cannot comment about MB Pumps but that Kenny Bell Boost a pump fried my pumps left and right on my KB blown Ford 5.7L about 10 years ago. Do what most people do (if you need to) use an inline pump. I used a vortec at the end of the day and it worked just fine when coupled with the adjustable FPR.

I would think if it was a lack of fuel pressure however, that it would be lean all the way through from off idle no? Sounds like tuning?
Old 03-20-2009, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Now that you’ve got it together and running, the real fun begins – that of optimizing the combination.

Do verify your fuel pressure in the rail at WOT. Your E55 injectors flow more than enough to drown modified M113K engines at 6000 RPM and 14 pounds of boost. As spr posted, it’s possibly insufficient fuel supply or, more than likely, the ECU’s input/output tune parameters that are creating your dangerously lean condition. Kleemann’s load-dependent variable fuel pressure regulator and conversion hardware kit is pretty slick. You may want to take AMGSC up on his offer if you haven’t already sourced them.

Worry about more boost later.

Kleemann’s installation manual for reference -
http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/p...V8%20ver.2.pdf
Old 03-20-2009, 02:14 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's intersting to note that: 1. The stock c55 injectors are used. 2. An adjustable FPR is used, 3. No new fuel pump is added, and 4. Did you notice the fitment of a MAP sensor?

You may want to enlist similar measure. Also note that Kleemann doesn't require the ECU programming, but it does help.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: AMG Supercharger retro fit thread