Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 12:39 AM
MHP
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by MHP
GP Pricing:

$2500 for CDT (ECU and TCU) if we get 5 customers. If we get 10 the price drops to $2200 for CDT.

ECU alone $1100

TCU alone $1500

Thanks!
Actually the list price is very reasonable and is based primarily on the amount of time it takes us to write/flash your custom cal. TCU tuning also takes significantly longer to do (it's more difficult plain and simple) than ECU tuning. The pricing structure is more than fair though ultimately it will be up to the consumer to decide (just as in any market) which direction they go.
Also please don't compare out combo ECU/TCU aka CDT pricing to everyone else's ECU only tuning. $1100 for an ECU only tune from us is one hell of a deal.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bicycle
MHP, if you remove 80 percent of the adaptive system in the tcu wouldn't it take longer for it to go back to granny shiftting per say? I am a bit puzzeled b/c after two back to back runs at the track my C55 with just a ecu tune it shiftted as I described early, like if I installed new trim valves,springs and drilled holes in the valve body separator plate (aka) shift kit. O and there is another company that offers a tcu tune.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:01 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by c55asleep?
MHP, if you remove 80 percent of the adaptive system in the tcu wouldn't it take longer for it to go back to granny shiftting per say?
Yes, it takes a lot longer and as soon as you go WOT it's back to being an animal. Meaning no matter how you drive crisp/firm and perfectly set shifts are always on tap.

I am a bit puzzeled b/c after two back to back runs at the track my C55 with just a ecu tune it shiftted as I described early, like if I installed new trim valves,springs and drilled holes in the valve body separator plate (aka) shift kit. O and there is another company that offers a tcu tune.
You must have a Wednesday car.

Not to come off rude, I'm not worried about others doing TCUs for these or other cars. If and when the company in question gets their final cal ready we'll be more than glad to race them heads up (in a similarly modded vehicle) if they're game. Saying you can tune a TCU is a bit like saying you can paint a picture...Some paintings are priceless, others are done with water colors by third graders. In short, all TCU tuning is NOT alike. That would be like saying all ECU tunes are as well, which we know not to be the case.

I believe Brett is going to make MIR on March 1st. Any tune only takers?
Old 02-07-2009, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Since it‘s essentially all I would prefer to not deal with this throughout this entire thread.

Originally Posted by LETMotorsports
Brett has the Stage I (Version 1) ECU tune with default fueling and mild timing changes. Our default "mail tune" map.

The best result would have been for him to send it back in with the updated dyno graphs. I see many areas where changes would benefit power.

Our current Version 5 & Version 6 tunes have hundreds of dyno hours and track hours behind them.

Should of sent the ECU back in...
Well… I posted the dyno results on 9/11/2008 (basically, 5 months ago). I had received the LET tune awhile before hitting the Dynojet (allegedly “customized“ for my specific mods - 181mm pulley kit, cooling mods, LET shorty headers, K&N filters, and 93 octane… not supposed to be generic, although perhaps that‘s what I got), and driven with it long enough for any/everything to adapt. I posted that I wasn’t terribly excited with the results - was hoping for more, although maybe I was unrealistic and “it is what it is.“ SilverBulletAMG’s posts in that thread also mentioned the same thing. I found it noteworthy that not one post in that entire thread is from LET, addressing (positively or negatively) the thread and results. Further, I invite you (that is, you have my permission) to demonstrate any post(s), PM(s), or email(s) where you stated “hey Brett, in looking over your dyno graphs, I think we can improve the results - ship the ECU back and we’ll update/revise the tune.” Why no after-sales support and/or contact, if you knew you could improve upon the product? To come forward now and basically say “hey, whoa whoa, we could’ve had better results if you’d sent us back the ECU” frankly seems disingenuous.

For the record Brett... LET has a combined 13 years of tuning experience. Some of the owners of LET have owned other tuning companies in the past. Please get your facts straight.
Here’re “the facts” as I understand them - if anything is materially incorrect, I welcome you to set the record straight. Hooleyboy posted about LET C32 tuning being around a “long time” - I replied to that comment that LET has been doing “in-house” C32 ECU tuning for LESS THAN ONE YEAR. I stand by that statement, and don’t understand what the issue is? All due respect, having a “combined 13 years of tuning experience” is - while not uncommon in various industries, these statements are (by design) misleading… you could have 26 employees, each with 6 months experience, and make the same claim. Besides, based on this thread’s topic, and my comment to hooleyboy, it was obvious that I was referring to C32 ECU tuning - which LET has been doing since MARCH 2008.

As for other relevant facts, here’s the timeline as I understand it:
Erick (1FastC32)‘s company, LET Motorsports, was founded in late 2007 in TX (Oct/Nov, IIRC).
Early on, LET became a vendor for Evotech’s tuning - so that’s what was sold to LET customers in late 2007 and early 2008.
In March 2008 (less than a year ago ) LET Motorsports started developing and offering in-house ECU tuning. I (like many others) tried the tuning - most “mailed” tunes AFAIK.
Late summer 2008, LET Motorsports went out of business. (Keen observers and enthusiasts probably recognize that event likely absolved the entity of any legal liability/responsibility to its previous clients/customers).
In October of 2008, Jerry (employee of the former LET owned by Erick) and Wayne created a new business, and bought the naming rights for LET; so in effect it’s “XYZ, Inc. doing business as (d/b/a) LET Motorsports” - this new company originally offered hardware and software, then software only, and now apparently is offering hardware and software again.
That sound about right?

After the LET hardware failure I experienced last fall, and subsequent “customer service” during that whole debacle, I’ve chosen to “vote with my wallet” and go in a different direction. I haven’t lost a wink’s sleep over that decision; while I realize there’s a loyal base of LET customers on MBW, my own experience (selfishly, which is what’s most important to me) wasn’t great.

End rant…

Back to the regularly scheduled programming, please...
Old 02-07-2009, 04:14 PM

Bicycle
Renntech has been doing tcu tunes for as long as I can remember. My car is not a Wednesday car it's just a point I was making that these cars with the tcu system that they got, a tcu tuning is useless unless you have plenty of power and then pressure and other stuff come in to play. Well enough said from my behave just curious about a couple things.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:20 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Renntech has been doing tcu tunes for as long as I can remember. My car is not a Wednesday car it's just a point I was making that these cars with the tcu system that they got, a tcu tuning is useless unless you have plenty of power and then pressure and other stuff come in to play. Well enough said from my behave just curious about a couple things.
I've heard that they have them, though I've yet to see even one person running one. Haven't seen any results either. Have you seen anything? If so please pass the info along.
Sorry, have to disagree reg TCU tuning being useless on a stock car, it makes a enormous difference at both part and WOT. Just ask Brett.

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2009, 04:48 PM

Bicycle
Renntech uses tcu tunning on most of the 65 series, but it can be done on other models as well. IMHO just isn't worth the cost when the stock tcu can pretty much do it after a couple of hard runs at the track. I guess to each his own.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:51 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Renntech uses tcu tunning on most of the 65 series, but it can be done on other models as well. IMHO just isn't worth the cost when the stock tcu can pretty much do it after a couple of hard runs at the track. I guess to each his own.
Trust me when I say that a stock TCU has nothing on one that we've tuned. If you don't believe me, well, that's why we offer a $ back guarantee.
Renntech doesn't push or sell as many TT V12 TCUs as you think, they've actually discouraged TCU tuning in the past.

Thanks
Old 02-07-2009, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey C55 asleep? - thinking of getting the TCU tuned on your truck? That thing's a beast (from what I've read)
Old 02-07-2009, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MHP
Trust me when I say that a stock TCU has nothing on one that we've tuned. If you don't believe me, well, that's why we offer a $ back guarantee.
Renntech doesn't push or sell as many TT V12 TCUs as you think, they've actually discouraged TCU tuning in the past.

Thanks
Doesn't AMG electronically limit the TQ output of the V12TT as it is, for tranny longevity? I can see how tuners might discourage it, without the requisite hardware mods to support the abuse long-term.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:42 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Doesn't AMG electronically limit the TQ output of the V12TT as it is, for tranny longevity? I can see how tuners might discourage it, without the requisite hardware mods to support the abuse long-term.
Yes they do, same with the 55Ks and even 63s. The key to making more safe power is getting the ECU and TCU to work together, otherwise they'll end up fighting each other which is when we see driveline parts breakage.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:42 PM

Bicycle
Hey C55 asleep? - thinking of getting the TCU tuned on your truck? That thing's a beast (from what I've read)
Well, funny you mention that. As a matter a fact yes it does have a tcu tune as well as a shift kit due to the Allison transmission having an adaptive tcu. But on this application it shifts pretty hard all of the time but then again it puts down 1000ftlbs of torque and these trannies tend to have clutch slippage in stock form. Btw I'm in the works for a 2005 SL65 so that's why I am inquiring.ty
Old 02-07-2009, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 AMG, CLK550
Interesting thread. The C55 is going to get tuned this Spring. This is very informative. Remember the quote;
"It ain't braggin if you can do it!".
Old 02-07-2009, 10:01 PM
SPONSOR

Mercedes/ BMW/ Audi
Well… I posted the dyno results on 9/11/2008 (basically, 5 months ago). I had received the LET tune awhile before hitting the Dynojet (allegedly “customized“ for my specific mods - 181mm pulley kit, cooling mods, LET shorty headers, K&N filters, and 93 octane… not supposed to be generic, although perhaps that‘s what I got), and driven with it long enough for any/everything to adapt. I posted that I wasn’t terribly excited with the results - was hoping for more, although maybe I was unrealistic and “it is what it is.“ SilverBulletAMG’s posts in that thread also mentioned the same thing. I found it noteworthy that not one post in that entire thread is from LET, addressing (positively or negatively) the thread and results. Further, I invite you (that is, you have my permission) to demonstrate any post(s), PM(s), or email(s) where you stated “hey Brett, in looking over your dyno graphs, I think we can improve the results - ship the ECU back and we’ll update/revise the tune.” Why no after-sales support and/or contact, if you knew you could improve upon the product? To come forward now and basically say “hey, whoa whoa, we could’ve had better results if you’d sent us back the ECU” frankly seems disingenuous.
Brett - It's not my job to follow up with you to ensure your happiness with a tune. You should have called and voiced your concern and Erick would have tuned your car 50 times if that would have made you happy. I wasn't an owner, employee, or anything other than a friend of Erick when he sold you your products. I helped Erick out and answered questions on the forums. I never received compensation for any LET work I did, ever. I have owned my IT company for 11 years and I gave Erick advice and helped when I could.

There are dozens of people on this forum that I have bent over backwards for and spent hours tuning their car....at no cost. I have sent tuning equipment all over the country, spent thousands of dollars, and commited myself to every tune I have done. All you had to do was call and ask and we would have made it right.

LET wishes you success in the future and we hope you get your car to a point where you are happy with it.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Brett - It's not my job to follow up with you to ensure your happiness with a tune. You should have called and voiced your concern and Erick would have tuned your car 50 times if that would have made you happy. I wasn't an owner, employee, or anything other than a friend of Erick when he sold you your products. I helped Erick out and answered questions on the forums. I never received compensation for any LET work I did, ever. I have owned my IT company for 11 years and I gave Erick advice and helped when I could.
Jerry - I never said it was your job to circle-back and make sure I was happy FWIW, not many MBW members bother to take the time and post up dyno results; I was merely remarking that if you reviewed the graphs posted publicly on MBW and noticed areas that could’ve been improved, I’m a bit surprised you wouldn’t bother to pass along that to me. Would’ve potentially been useful for both of us.

I will say this: I’m more than just a bit surprised to learn that you weren’t even an employee of LET Motorsports… IIRC, your title was “co-founder,” you were referred to as joining the “LET Motorsports team” as early as 12/15/2007, LET was positioned as having both a Chicago and Houston operation… hell, when I ordered all of my LET stuff in a bulk order, I did it through you (not Erick), and you even quoted me a pretty decent discount off of list prices and threw in some phenolic spacers N/C. Those sorts of decisions are way beyond the “pay-grade” of a friend helping out IMHO… but I guess you could’ve cleared them with Erick before relaying the info to me…? While I can’t speak for anyone else, I *think* that the common perception on MBW was that you two were business partners in the LET Motorsports venture. To learn that it was Erick’s company and that you were an employee would’ve been (was) surprising, but to learn that you weren’t even that is almost beyond belief…

There are dozens of people on this forum that I have bent over backwards for and spent hours tuning their car....at no cost. I have sent tuning equipment all over the country, spent thousands of dollars, and commited myself to every tune I have done. All you had to do was call and ask and we would have made it right.
You have every right to be compensated appropriately for the work that you do - you have also been generous with your time and I’m sure many MBW gear heads appreciate your efforts (including those efforts and endeavors on your previous ride that pre-date LET, which are many). It would be way off-base to suggest that you haven’t contributed a lot to MBW; I hope it’s clear that I’m making no such claim.

LET wishes you success in the future and we hope you get your car to a point where you are happy with it.
Thanks - I wish you the same.

Back to the topic at hand… dyno results coming soon!

Last edited by c32AMG-DTM; 02-07-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:13 PM

C32
thanks jerry for everything you have helped me out with.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by mustang281man
thanks jerry for everything you have helped me out with.
+1

Jerry has always been very professional, and has spent MANY hours on the phone with me helping out with all of my issues. Truly a class act. Keep up the GREAT work Jerry and LET. This is how sponsors should act.

See yeah
Old 02-10-2009, 02:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
Originally Posted by MHP
I've heard that they have them, though I've yet to see even one person running one. Haven't seen any results either. Have you seen anything? If so please pass the info along.
Sorry, have to disagree reg TCU tuning being useless on a stock car, it makes a enormous difference at both part and WOT. Just ask Brett.

Thanks!
I believe Vadim can also tune the TCU. Correct?
Old 02-10-2009, 03:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
e55 w/LET TUNE Drinks: vodka STRAIGHT Wheels: 19" HRE 547r Mods:FF headers ASP Pulley
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
+1

Jerry has always been very professional, and has spent MANY hours on the phone with me helping out with all of my issues. Truly a class act. Keep up the GREAT work Jerry and LET. This is how sponsors should act.

See yeah
ditto
Old 02-10-2009, 09:26 AM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by AMGSC
I believe Vadim can also tune the TCU. Correct?
yup, and so can LET.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:19 AM

Jerry - I never said it was your job to circle-back and make sure I was happy FWIW, not many MBW members bother to take the time and post up dyno results; I was merely remarking that if you reviewed the graphs posted publicly on MBW and noticed areas that could’ve been improved, I’m a bit surprised you wouldn’t bother to pass along that to me. Would’ve potentially been useful for both of us.

I will say this: I’m more than just a bit surprised to learn that you weren’t even an employee of LET Motorsports… IIRC, your title was “co-founder,” you were referred to as joining the “LET Motorsports team” as early as 12/15/2007, LET was positioned as having both a Chicago and Houston operation… hell, when I ordered all of my LET stuff in a bulk order, I did it through you (not Erick), and you even quoted me a pretty decent discount off of list prices and threw in some phenolic spacers N/C. Those sorts of decisions are way beyond the “pay-grade” of a friend helping out IMHO… but I guess you could’ve cleared them with Erick before relaying the info to me…? While I can’t speak for anyone else, I *think* that the common perception on MBW was that you two were business partners in the LET Motorsports venture. To learn that it was Erick’s company and that you were an employee would’ve been (was) surprising, but to learn that you weren’t even that is almost beyond belief…

You have every right to be compensated appropriately for the work that you do - you have also been generous with your time and I’m sure many MBW gear heads appreciate your efforts (including those efforts and endeavors on your previous ride that pre-date LET, which are many). It would be way off-base to suggest that you haven’t contributed a lot to MBW; I hope it’s clear that I’m making no such claim.

Thanks - I wish you the same.

Back to the topic at hand… dyno results coming soon!
As a small business owner, I think what the customer is looking for is some sort of follow up to let them know you have a free upgrade available that they purchased. And I would think that if you noticed a customer that was publicly posting on a forum where most of your target market is, and appears to be unhappy, that you would at least respond to their issues? ESPECIALLY if you have a free upgrade that would make a difference????
Old 02-11-2009, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
Originally Posted by loungn14
yup, and so can LET.

I just confirmed that Vadim will tune my TCU but it will take a bit of tweaking since my car is so custom.

Looks like MHP's secret recipe is no longer so secret.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
This is an interesting thread about MHP
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...y-know-do.html
Old 02-11-2009, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by indyjoe
As a small business owner, I think what the customer is looking for is some sort of follow up to let them know you have a free upgrade available that they purchased. And I would think that if you noticed a customer that was publicly posting on a forum where most of your target market is, and appears to be unhappy, that you would at least respond to their issues? ESPECIALLY if you have a free upgrade that would make a difference????
Well (and succinctly) put. I presume you mainly offered those questions as rhetorical? I do not anticipate they'll be addressed.

Originally Posted by moosejaw
This is an interesting thread about MHP
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...y-know-do.html
Indeed; TNT ("we know drama") has nothing on MBW. From what I gather, the 6.2L engine management is quite a bit different than what the 3.2L and 5.4L cars have. I can speak only to my own experience: I had to pull both the Bosch ECU (driver's side engine bay near the firewall - most know where that is) and the Siemens TCU (under the carpeting, a piece of foam, and a bolt-in metal panel in the passenger-side footwell) and send them to MHP for tuning, then reinstall both once I got 'em back.

If you've followed that thread (it blew up quite a bit last night) - chiromikey posted that Andy replied on absolutely driven (not a forum I'm familiar with... nor do I follow 6speed, although maybe I should, it seems lots of our members are also there). Here's the (pretty brief) thread:

EDIT: Sorry guys, just read that you can't cross-link to another forum. Absolutely Driven is the forum, if you care to find the thread.

Interesting reading indeed... has many of the classic elements of a mystery novel, frankly. What really is intriguing about the whole thing - it doesn't appear that any of this has been sparked by a bad customer experience. With a couple exceptions where MHP couldn't deliver that Andy seems open about "owning up to," otherwise their customer base seems quite happy with the product(s).

Anyway, the side-chatter isn't particularly relevant to this thread - as for an update, my dyno guy was supposed to be back this Monday but is still recovering from surgery so the appt has been pushed to early next week. Will have the dyno results with A/F then. If that wasn't bad enough - sorry Andy, I won't be able to make MIR (I know I told you I thought I'd be able to); I have family visiting from out of town that weekend, unfortunately preventing me from attending. Will run at Atco at some point this spring, though, and will happily share my results with everyone.

Last edited by c32AMG-DTM; 02-11-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:14 PM

C32
Wow that took a few hours to read.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MHP ECU/TCU tuning for C32 AMG