C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Sudden problems with the C32

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W203 C32 AMG, W124 E300D
Sudden problems with the C32

Yesterday night the car decided to have a fit. At idle the engine started shaking, then as i accelerated it was hesitent to get up to speed. I had my foot planted and it would struggle to get up to 45mph. Once it hit 45mph it just crawled its way up to 65mph but at that speed the engine was revving high (fairly close to redline) and i could smell oil burning.

So i pulled off on the exit. Shut off the car and checked under the hood for any oil seepage but i couldnt find anything. Once the started the car it was like nothing happen, car drove normally. No shake at idle and no struggle to get up to speed.

Early in the morning i drive it and it felt fine right up until the engine got to normal running temp. Then the problems came back again shaky engine, oil smell, and sluggish acceleration. The check engine light started flashing so i went over to autozone to rent a OBDII scanner only to find out they stopped renting out tools due to california law or some crap.

So now its at my indy repair shop. The mechanic took it for a drive around the block and he thinks the supercharger is dis-engaging. But he is going to keep it for a few days to troubleshoot it.

Any thoughts on whats going on? I wish i could have read the codes to post up for more help.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Merc power
HAve no idea, but keep us posted on results
Old 02-19-2009, 07:06 PM

Silver 02 C32 & White 05 CLK500
That is very strange. I had the same exact symptoms when my ic pump died. The car would be normal for a little bit, I could drive it for about 10 minutes, then it would be really sluggish and struggle to get up to 45. I would turn it off, then on, and it would be fine for a little bit, but then it will die. I am not sure if a dead ic pump would throw a code, but it would definitely disengage the supercharger. Good luck fixing your car.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by alkrstev
That is very strange. I had the same exact symptoms when my ic pump died. The car would be normal for a little bit, I could drive it for about 10 minutes, then it would be really sluggish and struggle to get up to 45. I would turn it off, then on, and it would be fine for a little bit, but then it will die. I am not sure if a dead ic pump would throw a code, but it would definitely disengage the supercharger. Good luck fixing your car.
+1

My vote would be IC pump, although your symptoms are a *little* different. Have your indy mechanic replace the OEM bosch unit with the Johnson CM30. FWIW, I'd upgrade the HE while you're in there.

Oh, also, buy your own code reader!!! They're inexpensive and can prove to be quite valuable when you need 'em. Personally, I got a nice INNOVA one from Amazon for under $100 - some are even way less than that; YMMV. GL with fixing your problem and keep us posted!
Old 02-19-2009, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
Originally Posted by greasybenz
Yesterday night the car decided to have a fit. At idle the engine started shaking, then as i accelerated it was hesitent to get up to speed. I had my foot planted and it would struggle to get up to 45mph. Once it hit 45mph it just crawled its way up to 65mph but at that speed the engine was revving high (fairly close to redline) and i could smell oil burning.

So i pulled off on the exit. Shut off the car and checked under the hood for any oil seepage but i couldnt find anything. Once the started the car it was like nothing happen, car drove normally. No shake at idle and no struggle to get up to speed.

Early in the morning i drive it and it felt fine right up until the engine got to normal running temp. Then the problems came back again shaky engine, oil smell, and sluggish acceleration. The check engine light started flashing so i went over to autozone to rent a OBDII scanner only to find out they stopped renting out tools due to california law or some crap.

So now its at my indy repair shop. The mechanic took it for a drive around the block and he thinks the supercharger is dis-engaging. But he is going to keep it for a few days to troubleshoot it.

Any thoughts on whats going on? I wish i could have read the codes to post up for more help.
I'm having problems with my car as well. Unfortunately it's around the same time as just installing my 185 and ECU tune. Although to clarify, it does NOT seem to have anything to do with either.

My car is sputtering under hard acceleration and I saw that the exhaust tips have a little black buildup on them.
My mechanic took it for a test drive and had the scan tool attached real time. It threw an ESP code and went into limp mode. A/F ratios were fine, but he thinks it's the TPS(throttle position sensor) that commonly goes out on our cars.

I also saw in this thread that similar problems occurred and FrankW had to replace his throttle pedal position sensor.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c55-amg-w203/253423-weird-symptom-day-car.html

Not exactly sure, but I'll keep this thread updated.

BTW, in case you need parts to be replaced and they're expensive, try BBA Remanufacturing. You can get quality replacement parts for much less the cost than the stealership. I think I may end up getting a remanufactured TPS from them.
http://www.bba-reman.com/uk/index.aspx
Old 02-19-2009, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32, 2012 S550
Originally Posted by Gramma_Benz
I'm having problems with my car as well. Unfortunately it's around the same time as just installing my 185 and ECU tune. Although to clarify, it does NOT seem to have anything to do with either.

My car is sputtering under hard acceleration and I saw that the exhaust tips have a little black buildup on them.
My mechanic took it for a test drive and had the scan tool attached real time. It threw an ESP code and went into limp mode. A/F ratios were fine, but he thinks it's the TPS(throttle position sensor) that commonly goes out on our cars.

I also saw in this thread that similar problems occurred and FrankW had to replace his throttle pedal position sensor.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c55-amg-w203/253423-weird-symptom-day-car.html

Not exactly sure, but I'll keep this thread updated.

BTW, in case you need parts to be replaced and they're expensive, try BBA Remanufacturing. You can get quality replacement parts for much less the cost than the stealership. I think I may end up getting a remanufactured TPS from them.
http://www.bba-reman.com/uk/index.aspx
Update:

Picked up my car from my mechanic and we read in detail some of the CEL codes in ALLDATA and they all pointed directly to a bad TPS.

Last edited by Gramma_Benz; 02-19-2009 at 11:08 PM. Reason: misspell
Old 02-19-2009, 11:04 PM

W203 C32 AMG, W124 E300D
Update:

Picked up my car from my mechanic and we read in details some of the CEL codes and they all pointed directly to a bad TPS.
Damn i really hope it isnt a bad TPS, after reading through FrankW's post his symptoms sound similar but whats up with my shaky engine?

Also since your in the bay area if you need replacement parts cheap i use to sell european auto parts at a company in south city called SSF Imported Auto Parts (mercedesshop forum banned me for mentioning the company ) as they are the supplier for dealers and indy shops. So i get anything at wholesale, so if you need parts i can hook you up as i still have my account with them
Old 02-19-2009, 11:06 PM

W203 C32 AMG, W124 E300D
Originally Posted by alkrstev
When you replaced your ic pump did the problems go away? Ive replaced the pump with the ford lightning pump some months ago, i hope it hasnt gone bad already!
Old 02-19-2009, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32, 2012 S550
Damn i really hope it isnt a bad TPS, after reading through FrankW's post his symptoms sound similar but whats up with my shaky engine?

Also since your in the bay area if you need replacement parts cheap i use to sell european auto parts at a company in south city called SSF Imported Auto Parts (mercedesshop forum banned me for mentioning the company ) as they are the supplier for dealers and indy shops. So i get anything at wholesale, so if you need parts i can hook you up as i still have my account with them
Awsome! thanks much!
I got a quote from BBA of $400 to rebuild my TPS. I have to call tomorrow and see how much more it may be for an exchange.

Not sure about the shakey engine....maybe check your CATS too? Do they rattle at all?
Old 02-19-2009, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32, 2012 S550
When you replaced your ic pump did the problems go away? Ive replaced the pump with the ford lightning pump some months ago, i hope it hasnt gone bad already!
When my IC pump gave out, it would accelerate hard for a few thousand RPM and then stop with an abrupt jerk.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:13 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
pop the hose right by the coolent tank and rev to 3500 rpm....(kick on pump)

If you see a steady stream you should be fine....

doesnt sound like tps, but need the codes...
Old 02-19-2009, 11:13 PM

W203 C32 AMG, W124 E300D

Not sure about the shakey engine....maybe check your CATS too? Do they rattle at all?
They dont exist

I had them removed when they blew out.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:15 PM

W203 C32 AMG, W124 E300D
Originally Posted by loungn14
pop the hose right by the coolent tank and rev to 3500 rpm....(kick on pump)

If you see a steady stream you should be fine....

doesnt sound like tps, but need the codes...
Cool thanks ill have that done when i go see the car tomorrow.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32, 2012 S550
They dont exist

I had them removed when they blew out.
HA!!

Cool, that's one less problem to worry about. Heard they all fail sooner or later.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
imma guess cps since everyone's cps has been going out lately.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32, 2012 S550
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
imma guess cps since everyone's cps has been going out lately.
Common Symptoms of a Crank position sensor:

Engine shuts down while driving, will crank but will not start until cools down.

First sign of CPS:
engine will crank but will not fire after short stop. Restarts after aprox 20 minutes, than it will happen more often, and finally engine will die while driving.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:51 PM

04' C32 AMG & 90' TT 300ZX
Common Symptoms of a Crank position sensor:

Engine shuts down while driving, will crank but will not start until cools down.

First sign of CPS:
engine will crank but will not fire after short stop. Restarts after aprox 20 minutes, than it will happen more often, and finally engine will die while driving.
I had similar symptoms exact my engine just didn't start back up. It was a bad fuel pump which cost $1,300. I don't think CPS is bad becuase it wouldn't let him start the car?
Old 02-20-2009, 07:40 PM

W203 C32 AMG, W124 E300D
Just got back from the shop. The shaky engine is from the spark plugs that all went bad! Along with some of the wires that are shorting out. My mechanic said he was getting missfire codes from all the cylinders and the right bank would shut off and go into limp mode because of the bad plugs and wires.

The plugs and wires are fairly new, i had them changed them about 8 months ago. Why did they go bad in less then a year?

Also the ford pump is dead, thus supercharger keeps disengaging. It looks like LET is out of stock on the CM30, is there anyone else who supplies them?
Old 02-20-2009, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just got back from the shop. The shaky engine is from the spark plugs that all went bad! Along with some of the wires that are shorting out. My mechanic said he was getting missfire codes from all the cylinders and the right bank would shut off and go into limp mode because of the bad plugs and wires.

The plugs and wires are fairly new, i had them changed them about 8 months ago. Why did they go bad in less then a year?

Also the ford pump is dead, thus supercharger keeps disengaging. It looks like LET is out of stock on the CM30, is there anyone else who supplies them?
you can buy them from here..its cheaper and they ship quick.

http://apeusa.com/html/jabsco.html
Old 02-20-2009, 08:17 PM

W203 C32 AMG, W124 E300D
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
you can buy them from here..its cheaper and they ship quick.

http://apeusa.com/html/jabsco.html
Thanks, should i be getting the 12V or 24V?
Old 02-20-2009, 08:25 PM
SPONSOR

Thanks, should i be getting the 12V or 24V?
12v
Old 02-20-2009, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yeah, cars run on 12v dc.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:38 PM

W203 C32 AMG, W124 E300D
Thanks guys. Hopefully after the plugs, wires, and CM30 pump i should be back on the road.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:02 PM
SPONSOR

good to hear...now get some good plugs and wires...
Old 02-20-2009, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 c32 AMG 2012 c250 Coupe
just asking, what would be good spark plugs and wires for the c32..?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sudden problems with the C32