TSW Bremma Situation -- what to do??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 02:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 C55 AMG, 2010 VW GTI (Stage 1)
TSW Bremma Situation -- what to do??

hey guys,

I dropped off my car yesterday to get my new T1Rs mounted on the front wheels... but the techs discovered both fronts and 1 rear are allegedly "bent" - the cost i was quoted was $150 per wheel to repair.

Basically I want to see if you think it's worth it to fix the 3 wheels or just shell out the extra cash and buy new ones? any experience with this?

Second question -- anyone recently buy TSW Bremma wheels? I have 19x8.5 front and 19x9.5 rear - any suggestions on best prices for these online? I thought I saw some members get them on here recently...

As always, your feedback and help (and links to wheel retailers!) with this is greatly appreciated, as my tires are fading and I need to make a decision about the wheels basically by Monday.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-11-2009, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Wow $150...if you look on discountTire.com they are just shy more new I believe. Here is a chrome rear

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fin...8120&rc=ILCINT

also try tirerack.com
Old 04-11-2009, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
I would buy a new one. Repaired ones tend to have more issues down the line.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
I think you should check around and you'll probably get some much lower prices to fix them. Also check Craigslist.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a g
$150 sounds about average to repair and refinish a bent wheel, especially aftermarket, and 19".

Why does everything have to be so cheap with everyone? Don't you want quality of work on your Mercedes, not shoddy cheap garbage?

Originally Posted by c32used
Wow $150...if you look on discountTire.com they are just shy more new I believe. Here is a chrome rear

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fin...8120&rc=ILCINT

also try tirerack.com
Assuming his wheels are chrome they aren't worth the repair, unless it can be done without damage to the chrome (which is VERY hard to safely do. Other than that, being that they may be NON-chrome, its even more useful to just buy new wheels, and let someone else fix them.

Also TireRack.com doesn't sell TSW.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:31 AM

sorry, i should've noted that they're non-chrome. sounds like the consensus is to get new wheels and have someone else fix the bent ones for cheaper...

but next thing i'm wondering is, can i find a buyer for the repaired rims after the fact?

thx!
Old 04-12-2009, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
ebay if anywhere, but most likely you will just end up recycling it for around 20-40 $
Old 04-12-2009, 10:52 AM

a g
Originally Posted by AMG Sleeper
sorry, i should've noted that they're non-chrome. sounds like the consensus is to get new wheels and have someone else fix the bent ones for cheaper...

but next thing i'm wondering is, can i find a buyer for the repaired rims after the fact?

thx!
Yes, non-chrome on Discount Tire online they have them at $161 brand new (though it did not list the front 19x8.5s).

As far as a repaired wheel? When done properly it will be as good as any other wheel.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:05 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by RedG
$150 sounds about average to repair and refinish a bent wheel, especially aftermarket, and 19".

Why does everything have to be so cheap with everyone? Don't you want quality of work on your Mercedes, not shoddy cheap garbage?

Assuming his wheels are chrome they aren't worth the repair, unless it can be done without damage to the chrome (which is VERY hard to safely do. Other than that, being that they may be NON-chrome, its even more useful to just buy new wheels, and let someone else fix them.

Also TireRack.com doesn't sell TSW.
$150 is pretty high for repairing per wheel at least it is for SoCal.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:38 AM

06 C55
I'd say that the TSW's are going to be *heavy* low pressure cast Chinese crap. Of course, I could be wrong but at that price point for a chrome 19, I'd be surprised if I was.

I'd shop around to see if a) they are really bent and b) if you can find a less expensive place to do the repair. Otherwise, get a good set of wheels and invest a few more dollars.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
If you can buy new for only a few $$ more than the cost of repair, that's a no brainer - buy new ones. As viper mentioned, at that price point you're going to get what you pay for. Less than $200 per rim is stupid cheap, although ebay has some great deals on used authentic rims you may want to look into.
Out of curiosity, where did you buy your current bent rims? I assume you can't just return them or you would have?
Old 04-13-2009, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by SilverBulletAMG
If you can buy new for only a few $$ more than the cost of repair, that's a no brainer - buy new ones. As viper mentioned, at that price point you're going to get what you pay for. Less than $200 per rim is stupid cheap, although ebay has some great deals on used authentic rims you may want to look into.
Out of curiosity, where did you buy your current bent rims? I assume you can't just return them or you would have?
bought them online 2 years ago - not sure which retailer though

yeah i think i need at least a second opinion. i'm also looking into maybe just shelling out some extra $$ and getting a different set of AMG rims altogether...

thx for ur help guys - i'll keep u posted
Old 04-13-2009, 12:00 PM

quick question - will these fit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/19-St...3A1|240%3A1318

i know the 19x8.5 and 19x9.5 is the right size, but not clear if offsets/bolt pattern will be an issue??

any offset/bolt pattern expertise would be much appreciated!

Last edited by AMG Sleeper; 04-13-2009 at 01:48 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 04-13-2009, 01:30 PM

06 C55
"Low Pressure Casting Technique" = China = heavy
Old 04-13-2009, 01:52 PM

so the 5x112 bolt pattern is correct?

also, what do u guys think about these wheels: ST5
Old 04-13-2009, 02:29 PM

06 C55
One of the things you need to keep in mind is that the low cost, low pressure castings are not going to be as durable as a decent high pressure or forged wheel. You're more likely to bend another wheel, or two or three, if you go with an inexpensive wheel like this.

As to the look of the wheel, I think they look nice. I like the five-spokers a lot. Makes cleaning a lot easier as well.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:28 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by viper501
One of the things you need to keep in mind is that the low cost, low pressure castings are not going to be as durable as a decent high pressure or forged wheel. You're more likely to bend another wheel, or two or three, if you go with an inexpensive wheel like this.

As to the look of the wheel, I think they look nice. I like the five-spokers a lot. Makes cleaning a lot easier as well.
if your point is about the weight of the wheel point taken. if your point is mainly to bash on made in China products then please save it to yourself. mention it once is more than enough.

fun fact: Brabus, Lorinser, Carlsson all had used low pressure cast. most of their wheels are still 29-30lbs in 19x8.5 19x9.5 sizing. AMG also uses LP casting. In fact most of the OEM wheels are LP cast. what high pressure cast are you talking about? You should toss your oem AMG wheels in the trash since your wheel is made from the same process as those made in China.

direct quote from tirerack
One-Piece Cast Wheels

This is the most common type of aluminum wheel. The casting of wheels is the process of getting molten aluminum inside a mold to form a wheel. There are different ways this can be accomplished and although it sounds simple, this is truly an art when done properly.

GRAVITY CASTING

Gravity casting is the most basic process of pouring molten aluminum into a mold utilizing the earth's gravity to fill the mold. Gravity casting offers a very reasonable production cost and is a good method for casting designs that are more visually oriented or when reducing weight is not a primary concern. Since the process relies on gravity to fill the mold, the aluminum is not as densely packed in the mold as some other casting processes. Often gravity cast wheels will have a higher weight to achieve the required strength.

LOW PRESSURE CASTING

Low pressure casting uses positive pressure to move the molten aluminum into the mold quicker and achieve a finished product that has improved mechanical properties (more dense) over a gravity cast wheel. Low-pressure casting has a slightly higher production cost over gravity casting. Low pressure is the most common process approved for aluminum wheels sold to the O.E.M. market. Low-pressure cast wheels offer a good value for the aftermarket as well. Some companies offer wheels that are produced under a higher pressure in special casting equipment to create a wheel that is lighter and stronger than a wheel produced in low pressure. Once again in the quest for lighter weight, there is a higher cost associated with the process.

Last edited by FrankW; 04-13-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:33 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
so the 5x112 bolt pattern is correct?

also, what do u guys think about these wheels: ST5
they look pretty good.

yes the 5x112 is correct.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:59 PM

06 C55
Chill Frank. No China bashing going on. I know that the OEM amg wheels are l.p. cast. Or at least that is my suspicion with no verified confirmation.

My point is that if he is going to spend the money, look for some decent hp cast or forged wheels, even if he buys used, rather than blowing money on heavy, soft, poor quality wheels. Yeah, there are a lot of things that are manufactured well in China but low pressure or gravity cast wheels are not one of those things I want to stake my C55, much less my or my family's lives, on.

BBS, for one, uses HP casting on some of their wheels. I had a really nice set on a former car. Very light weight and never had a problem w/ bends despite rather crappy roads in my area.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:18 AM

I know that the OEM amg wheels are l.p. cast. Or at least that is my suspicion with no verified confirmation.
thanks for the all the feedback - so if i'm understanding this right, are the ones i linked to similar in casting (low pressure) to the OEM AMG wheels?

also, i've been surfing thru the Picture Thread to see what different rims look like on the w203 (i have silver bremmas and i also like the c63 style), but haven't found black bremma rims w/ polished lip on a silver w203 yet... any links out there i'd appreciate it!

Last edited by AMG Sleeper; 04-14-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:07 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Chill Frank. No China bashing going on. I know that the OEM amg wheels are l.p. cast. Or at least that is my suspicion with no verified confirmation.

My point is that if he is going to spend the money, look for some decent hp cast or forged wheels, even if he buys used, rather than blowing money on heavy, soft, poor quality wheels. Yeah, there are a lot of things that are manufactured well in China but low pressure or gravity cast wheels are not one of those things I want to stake my C55, much less my or my family's lives, on.

BBS, for one, uses HP casting on some of their wheels. I had a really nice set on a former car. Very light weight and never had a problem w/ bends despite rather crappy roads in my area.
$120 per wheel vs $500-1000 per wheel makes a lot of difference in "going to spend the money". Unless they're really chasing performance not a whole lot of people will want to spent while they can get something that looks good and cheap to replace.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Exclamation

Originally Posted by FrankW
$120 per wheel vs $500-1000 per wheel makes a lot of difference in "going to spend the money". Unless they're really chasing performance not a whole lot of people will want to spent while they can get something that looks good and cheap to replace.
+1000000000

Old 04-15-2009, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by FrankW
my thoughts and intentions exactly. thx frank!

has anyone had experience with Sport Edition wheels before?

something interesting i learned from speaking w/ discounttiredirect -- their "replica wheel" design line are proprietary molds that are forged by TSW -- meaning it looks like the TSW rims AND is literally the exact same quality because they do it especially for discounttire to sell under their own line.

i'm either going with the Replica Wheel AMG Twin to replace the Bremma (discontinued) or getting the Sport Edition ST5. i'll let u guys know and post pics when i'm all decided and ready to roll... thx!
Old 04-15-2009, 08:32 PM

a g
my thoughts and intentions exactly. thx frank!

has anyone had experience with Sport Edition wheels before?

something interesting i learned from speaking w/ discounttiredirect -- their "replica wheel" design line are proprietary molds that are forged by TSW -- meaning it looks like the TSW rims AND is literally the exact same quality because they do it especially for discounttire to sell under their own line.

i'm either going with the Replica Wheel AMG Twin to replace the Bremma (discontinued) or getting the Sport Edition ST5. i'll let u guys know and post pics when i'm all decided and ready to roll... thx!
I've put quite a number of sport edition wheels on vehicles. Put some on a CLS55 the other day infact.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by RedG
I've put quite a number of sport edition wheels on vehicles. Put some on a CLS55 the other day infact.
that is VERY helpful to know. much obliged!!