C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

HELP! Driver side door lock keeps bouncing and wont lock????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silver 02 C32 & White 05 CLK500
HELP! Driver side door lock keeps bouncing and wont lock????

When I got to school today, after I opened the door, I pushed my remote button to lock my car. However, only three of the doors locked while my driver side door lock went nuts and started going up and down and while sometimes it actually locked itself, it was difficult to unlock it again. I could lock it manually with the key, but if I use the remote, it will just bounce like crazy and most of the time either stay unlocked or lock itself and I have no choice and have to use the key to get inside. It is really frustrating. Just when I was done fixing the alignment on the car (It was the tires), something else had to break. If you guys have any idea on how to fix my problem, please let me know! Thanks in advance!
Old 06-24-2009, 09:04 PM

2009 Mini Cooper Clubman S
Check the little push rod in the door that senses whether or not the door is closed. I broke this by shutting my seatbelt in the door and while the symptoms were not similar, it might be a place to start.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by willc55
Check the little push rod in the door that senses whether or not the door is closed. I broke this by shutting my seatbelt in the door and while the symptoms were not similar, it might be a place to start.
Which pushrod is that? I checked everything that has to do with the door aside from trying to open the inside. I did some research and it could be a broken spring inside the mechanism, so I am trying to see if any of you guys had similar experience.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by alkrstev
When I got to school today, after I opened the door, I pushed my remote button to lock my car. However, only three of the doors locked while my driver side door lock went nuts and started going up and down and while sometimes it actually locked itself, it was difficult to unlock it again. I could lock it manually with the key, but if I use the remote, it will just bounce like crazy and most of the time either stay unlocked or lock itself and I have no choice and have to use the key to get inside. It is really frustrating. Just when I was done fixing the alignment on the car (It was the tires), something else had to break. If you guys have any idea on how to fix my problem, please let me know! Thanks in advance!
I have a funny feeling (call it a hunch) that splinter will chime with assistance for your plight.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:26 PM

I just checked it again and the door lock keeps bouncing up and down and sometimes it gets stuck in the middle of being locked/unlocked. Also, once it is locked, you are forced to use the key to get in because it will just bounce up and down and will not unlock. If anyone can tell me how much it would cost to fix this or maybe there is an easy fix?
Old 06-24-2009, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Mine has been doing this "pogo" locking for about a year now. I am too cheap or too lazy to fix it but, there are already several threads here on how to repair it. Here is one:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...-pogo-fix.html

Good luck. I find this maddening.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by ScottW911
Mine has been doing this "pogo" locking for about a year now. I am too cheap or too lazy to fix it but, there are already several threads here on how to repair it. Here is one:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...-pogo-fix.html

Good luck. I find this maddening.
ScottW911, do you know how much it would cost for the part and how much it would cost for the entire job?

Trending Topics

Old 06-25-2009, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

ScottW911, do you know how much it would cost for the part and how much it would cost for the entire job?
I seem to remember the part was somewhere around $70 but labor added over $400 to the repair bill. Don't hold me to these numbers, as they are outdated by now.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
This may help:
Shut off the auto lock feature when you put it in drive. That way you wont notice it and it wont bother you. You can shut it off through the settings in gauge cluster.
Unlock the car from far away and you will never notice it.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by moosejaw
This may help:
Shut off the auto lock feature when you put it in drive. That way you wont notice it and it wont bother you. You can shut it off through the settings in gauge cluster.
Unlock the car from far away and you will never notice it.
I take it you have the same problem moosejaw? LOL. I will try that. I already turned off the automatic lock, but that is not the problem. When I hit lock on the remote, many times it does not lock. That is the real problem. Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I DON'T COME HERE ANYMORE
I had this happen to me once-check to make sure that the lock pin is screwed down tight-if not-the threaded rod may be catching between the door panels-gl on the fix!
Old 06-25-2009, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Ive had the same problem, i just dont lock my car at work or in my garage
thats the only place it goes. I guess when i save up the money I'll pony it up to fix it.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:08 PM

And you live at 1589 Garrett St., Right :lol:
Old 06-25-2009, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by rockjock
I had this happen to me once-check to make sure that the lock pin is screwed down tight-if not-the threaded rod may be catching between the door panels-gl on the fix!
Thanks rockjock, I will chech that, but I am not sure that that is the problem. The door lock sounds like a sewing machine when I lock it.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:38 PM

Mine did too-well-a sewing machine gun....
Old 06-25-2009, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Originally Posted by rockjock
And you live at 1589 Garrett St., Right :lol:
Come get it! i'll leave the light on for ya!
Old 06-26-2009, 12:27 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

All this jabbing. I'm telling you, you need to carefully read the thread that I linked to. You will understand that you have the classic Pogo-ing door lock. The actuator is the culprit.

It is all right there. You have the exact same symptoms as mine.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by ScottW911
All this jabbing. I'm telling you, you need to carefully read the thread that I linked to. You will understand that you have the classic Pogo-ing door lock. The actuator is the culprit.

It is all right there. You have the exact same symptoms as mine.
Thanks a lot ScottW911. I had already read the entire thread and I am getting my car looked at tomorow to fix it. I already got all the instructions (thanks to you) and will definitely give them to my mechanic. I really hope it is not the actuator because it will be an expensive fix. For the record, I never expected the c32 to have door lock problems. I thought that these cars were built pretty solid and did not have many electronic problems. I also have a problem with the fading screen where I cannot read 1/4 of the screen on the dash. Also, thanks to all of you guys for your opinions and I hope nothing like this happens to you.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

... For the record, I never expected the c32 to have door lock problems. I thought that these cars were built pretty solid and did not have many electronic problems. I also have a problem with the fading screen where I cannot read 1/4 of the screen on the dash. Also, thanks to all of you guys for your opinions and I hope nothing like this happens to you.
Oh, my....Really?

My friend, you really must read through these thread, as well as the regular W203 section. You will find that these cars are the Ripley's Believe-it-or-not of electronics. The Germans just didn't understand electronics in the early part of this decade. We pay the price for their incompetence.

The list includes the pogo lock, fading dash, seat controllers, seat heaters, HVAC system, main harness, throttle position sensor, ECU, TCU, etc.....

edit; I forgot one that has been plaguing me lately: SRS Warning!

Last edited by ScottW911; 06-26-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Scott The germans come in second place for their incompetence in electronics
The first place prize goes to of course........... The British

I think it was Jeremy Clarkson in the early years of Top Gear who said a TVR spends more time on a flat bed than they do on the road
Old 09-03-2009, 10:10 PM

c32 amg
Did you get to repair your car? I got the exactly same problem as yours now and I am wondering how much it would be to repair the door/lock..
Old 09-04-2009, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
you know my car got broken into bc i dont lock the car door at work. I now have changed my attitude to leaving the door unlocked.

They took my check book and mortgage book as well as my British Columbia Drivers License.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by eeya30
Did you get to repair your car? I got the exactly same problem as yours now and I am wondering how much it would be to repair the door/lock..
I still have not gotten around to fixing it, but I have been quoted around $150 for labor and I am not sure how much the part costs I would assume around $100, so the total would be ~$250 just to fix that stupid jumping door lock.