C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

How do you determine whether rotors need to be changed?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
How do you determine whether rotors need to be changed?

Hi all. I think I have very straightforward question, and I hope there is a straightforward answer.

When I took my car for routine servicing a couple of months ago, I was told that my front rotors were "not up to spec", and they need to be replaced. Front brake pads were really low too (this I was not surprised about). I'm sure my occasional track days from the last 2 years contributed to the brake wear. They said I was fine for street use until the low brake pad warning comes on, so I didn't replace anything at the time, as I may go to aftermarket rotors.

Does anybody know what "spec" they are talking about?......I presume it may be the thickness of the actual rotor.

Bottom line: how does one determine whether the rotor needs to be replaced or not?
Old 07-10-2009, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
hmmm......not sure about thickness. i replaced by rotors when i felt they were warped from breaking (i'm guessing this is how you tell its time if you arent a brake expert?)....and you'll know when they are warped. when you brake, it will feel at high speeds almost as if ABS is coming in. when my rear rotors were warped, breaking at high speeds virbrated my back window and seats....it was really obvious for me.

i'm sure someone can give you a better way to tell than me (and probably safer too lol)
Old 07-10-2009, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
I changed mine out, with the pads, when I felt the vibration and could run my finger on the (cool) rotors and feel a sizable raised lip on the outer edge. As to the spec thickness, I could not tell you. I am sure that splinter or boohooramblers have those specs somewhere.

Bottom line, I went with my gut and erred on the side of caution to replace them.

Also, as we know, the cross-drilled rotors can't be turned so, we end up replacing them earlier than most.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:32 PM

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
'19 AMG E53 Cpe, '23 EQS 580 SUV, '88 560SL, '35 Ford 5w coupe, '53 MGTD and others
I don't know about Merc rotors, but Audi and BMW rotors have the minimum thicknesses cast into the hubs.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:51 PM

I DON'T COME HERE ANYMORE
You'll begin to see a lip form on the rotor on the inside section (towards the hub)-its usually time-also-technically speaking....rotors dont "wrap"-what generally happens is that pad material is deposited unevenly on the rotor(s) and generates the pedal feel-
thats why most guys at the track tell you not to stand on the brakes on pit-you simply heat up the material and melt it to the rotor-they're shot after that-
I usually go with new rotors every 2-3 years, or after 2 pad changes-
Old 07-10-2009, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
Originally Posted by lkfoster
I don't know about Merc rotors, but Audi and BMW rotors have the minimum thicknesses cast into the hubs.

MB does too, they are under spec if they are too thin when they put a measuring tool on them.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C300, 2012 Mustang
Has to do with thickness and wether they are warped or not. I had to change my front rotors about a week ago along with my pads
Old 07-10-2009, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
rotors are measured from the inside to the outside edge with a micrometer. the thickness is cast into the rotor hub . exceed the minimum thickness and the need to be replaced. warped rotors can be turned as long as they meet the minimum thickness when straightened
Old 07-10-2009, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Legitimate dealerships and competent independent technicians will furnish the measured pad and rotor thickness – and an estimated percentage of life remaining - to the customer before asking you to authorize their renewal. Certainly not suggesting that yours isn’t on the up and up. MB’s FSS and ASSYST service sheets have a dedicated section where the measurements are to be listed during the course of any inspection.

Brake service is typically a remunerative aspect of consumables service in most shops. DIY replacement is not an unpleasant Saturday morning diversion for several of us. Much easier on the MB than many other marques – including my GMC. Be that as it may, availing oneself of thorough and timely maintenance is inexpensive insurance against potential catastrophic failure. If they’re vibration-free and work well, there’s little rationale to swap in new pieces before the end of their useful service life is drawing near.

As you’re well aware, track use tends to dramatically hasten their demise. :)

Whose aftermarket rotors are you contemplating?

Last edited by splinter; 10-06-2010 at 07:02 AM.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
Splinter, many thanks for the information. I don't intend to replace anything until I need to, but I suspect that time is coming soon for my front brake pads, and likely my front rotors.

I honestly don't know what rotors to use as replacements.....it could be stock C55 rotors, or other aftermarket brands. With the 135i in the stable, the C55 is seeing much less track days, but reducing unsprung weight with lighter rotors is always an attractive option. For sure, I want to keep the stock calipers. What do you suggest?
Old 07-11-2009, 08:48 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
GL 350 Bluetec
If you are going to do it yourself you might as well do the rotors when you do the pads. Saves you the trouble of taking it all apart again later just for rotors. www.partsgeek.com and www.partstrain.com have decent prices on what you need. I went with zimmerman rotors they seem to have a good reputation and are not overly expensive. I believe they are an OEM supplier for a number of automakers. Why not us a ceramic pad as well...
Old 07-11-2009, 09:49 AM

I DON'T COME HERE ANYMORE
I'd check out Evosport for a set to lessen weight-when I swapped mine I also switched from drilled to slotted all the way around-and ceramic pads (Axxis-not real happy with the dust still tho-3 days and the rims are almost black!)
SS lines and fluid-it was a 4 hour job in total for pads, rotors, lines, and fluid-but a great difference in the way the AMG brakes!
Old 07-11-2009, 07:43 PM

2005 C55
Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie
Splinter, many thanks for the information. I don't intend to replace anything until I need to, but I suspect that time is coming soon for my front brake pads, and likely my front rotors.

I honestly don't know what rotors to use as replacements.....it could be stock C55 rotors, or other aftermarket brands. With the 135i in the stable, the C55 is seeing much less track days, but reducing unsprung weight with lighter rotors is always an attractive option. For sure, I want to keep the stock calipers. What do you suggest?

As a response to your original question, I'd have someone else besides the dealer check them out before you go buy new rotors. They could really need replacing, but i was reading in my manual the other day that MBZ always recommends changing the rotors when you do the pads on these cars, so they could just telling you you need new ones because its what they are "supposed" to do. Hope this helps.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie
...With the 135i in the stable, the C55 is seeing much less track days, but reducing unsprung weight with lighter rotors is always an attractive option. For sure, I want to keep the stock calipers. What do you suggest?
There is no denying that the big brake upgrades from StopTech and MB’s SLK/CLK 030 package sure look pretty, but our relatively modest calipers have never failed to generate threshold deceleration forces on mine when called upon to do so.

Racing Brakes’ rotors have been universally well received, particularly on the BMW enthusiast forums – and by several of the track day ne’er do wells with whom I’ve made acquaintance. A few here have installed them and shared favorable feedback regarding their quality. Their front (only) rotors weigh approximately 18 pounds each as opposed to our ~25 lb anchors. Almost certain that the reduction in unsprung weight they provide is readily noticeable. No firsthand experience as those funds have been diverted toward my son’s tuition account.

Know it’s not a pad thread and not sure whose you’re utilizing, but I’ll put in another plug for Porterfield’s 847 (F) and 603 (R) R4-S pieces. Almost OE cold bite characteristics, minimal dust, and vastly improved dual-purpose fade resistance. Yet to find a better compromise with which to more fully exploit our original system. Of course, your CA and my CA may pose different ‘cold weather’ challenges.

When you have a spare moment, I’d certainly enjoy hearing about how your 135i gets around Canada’s picturesque circuits.

Racing Brakes
Porterfield
Old 07-12-2009, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Are your rotors

mirror smooth with no ridges?
If so hand cross hatch sand them with 140 grit paper in a cross hatch pattern. Clean with brake cleaner and install akebono ceramic pads.
No one will resurface a Mercedes rotor,there simply is not enough material.
pm me if you want cryo -300f treated rotors,stop faster last 2-3 times longer.
work safe.
diy

look for unsprung weight reduction in rim choice.
Rotors don't yield much until you get into the several thousand dollars ea. ceramic units.