C55 long tube header update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 11:22 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 91 Likes on 46 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
C55 long tube header update

After many talks and meetings, I was able to renegotiate the selling price of the C55 long tubes. I did not feel comfortable offering the headers for sale for $3490.00. I was always pushing for the lowest price possible. In fact pushing for a lower price on these headers has some what set back other project. In the end I stuck deals to get the price of the headers even lower.

Pricing on the C55 long tubes will be set a $2900!!!

IMO these headers are very much worth the original asking price, but having to ask that much truly went against my reasons for becoming a sponsor.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
lowering the price? wow....what a smokin' deal
Old 07-19-2009, 06:19 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by jturkel
lowering the price? wow....what a smokin' deal
Yep, As I'm sure you know. Ive been pushing for a lower price since day one. It was only the other day I made some head way on the matter.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:37 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should get someone to dyno them on a stock c55 or otherwise na back to back against the Kleemanns. That would be interesting. Still too high though as Kleemann headers and ECU can be had for 1500 and 7k for a Kleemann blower.

BTW R&D costs are usually expensed not incorporated into the $$
Old 07-20-2009, 05:33 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
about a year ago I bought EVOsport headers for $2500, at that time Kleemann headers were $3500+. Renntech headers are in the $4k area. So i'm thinking a long tube header made with 100% US stainless steel, (321 and 304.) Made hear in the USA is a very very fair price at $2900.

I've gone to bat on the price of these headers. Almost to the point that I wanted to pull the plug on the whole deal because i was upset over pricing.

I find my car worthy of the best, and there are a few things about my car that are not that great, and i will be changing. One thing is for sure its not my headers.

I would gladly put my headers up against any maker of headers for our cars.

You might find, that what you get for your money might just make my headers the best value currently available. LT's or shorties.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:44 PM

05 C55
ever get any vids or soundclips of your ride hooley?
Old 07-21-2009, 01:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
Originally Posted by spr
You should get someone to dyno them on a stock c55 or otherwise na back to back against the Kleemanns. That would be interesting. Still too high though as Kleemann headers and ECU can be had for 1500 and 7k for a Kleemann blower.

BTW R&D costs are usually expensed not incorporated into the $$
Definitely like to see a back to back. Kleemann vs. MBH Longtubes. I was told by an engine builder and tuner that long tubes can cause a sudden spike in mid RPM power but you lose the low and high RPM range with a twin-screw Supercharger setup. Long tubes create a vacuum pulse from the merge collectors back to the exhaust valve port which causes this spike. So it's one big burst which can be lumpy and not a continuous steady but smooth flow like the mid-length Kleemann's. I also heard that it needs to be longer to be considered true long tubes for a C55.

Can you ask Richard or the other DynoComp guys about this?

Last edited by AMGSC; 07-21-2009 at 02:01 AM.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:22 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
The power is very smooth and it though out the RPM range. It is true that our collector design along with the firing ordering sequences (I'm the only one doing that BTW) will create added vacuum in the header. In turn it makes the engine work a little less harder by helping to suck the spent gases out faster. The savaging effect these headers have is a really nice feature.

I'm awaiting a retune. Since I put these headers on. My A/F with this setup shows that ignition and a bit more fuel can be added to the tune. Thus creating even more power on a tune that was to the max before the new headers.

And dropping my boost to just over 5psi at redline form 7psi. While still putting down more power than my past setup.

I have a meeting tomorrow morning with Rich and the fabricator to go over the finalization of the E55 LT headers. I will for sure raise your questions.

I think with your monster setup you will pick up some power, However I do think the proof will be in the A/F. That will tell the tail if these headers can pick up more power over what I think they will gain without tuning for them. If more tuning is so needed.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:58 PM

05 C55
Originally Posted by AMGSC
Definitely like to see a back to back. Kleemann vs. MBH Longtubes. I was told by an engine builder and tuner that long tubes can cause a sudden spike in mid RPM power but you lose the low and high RPM range with a twin-screw Supercharger setup. Long tubes create a vacuum pulse from the merge collectors back to the exhaust valve port which causes this spike. So it's one big burst which can be lumpy and not a continuous steady but smooth flow like the mid-length Kleemann's. I also heard that it needs to be longer to be considered true long tubes for a C55.

Can you ask Richard or the other DynoComp guys about this?
how is your engine coming?
Old 07-21-2009, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
Originally Posted by mkonei
how is your engine coming?
Dropped by yesterday. Looking good so far. Car is schedule to fire up tomorrow.
Looking at options to tap the SC plenum for Nitrous jets now.

I should have taken some pics when I visited the shop yesterday. There was one section of the shop that was pretty badly burned and a big hole in the cieling where the fire burned through on July 4th.

I've got Brembo Red touches here and there on the motor. The 82mm throttle body modified opening is so much bigger. It's going to make a difference in intake velocity and flow.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by hooleyboy
The power is very smooth and it though out the RPM range. It is true that our collector design along with the firing ordering sequences (I'm the only one doing that BTW) will create added vacuum in the header. In turn it makes the engine work a little less harder by helping to suck the spent gases out faster. The savaging effect these headers have is a really nice feature.

I'm awaiting a retune. Since I put these headers on. My A/F with this setup shows that ignition and a bit more fuel can be added to the tune. Thus creating even more power on a tune that was to the max before the new headers.

And dropping my boost to just over 5psi at redline form 7psi. While still putting down more power than my past setup.

I have a meeting tomorrow morning with Rich and the fabricator to go over the finalization of the E55 LT headers. I will for sure raise your questions.

I think with your monster setup you will pick up some power, However I do think the proof will be in the A/F. That will tell the tail if these headers can pick up more power over what I think they will gain without tuning for them. If more tuning is so needed.
Any updates on my questions regarding uneven air flow through these LTs?
Old 07-25-2009, 09:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Hooleyboy- Have you done before/after dyno on your personal car for the headers? I too am interested in pre/post gains with the headers compared to kleemann since thats what I am currently running. Fitment is an issue but I could definitely use some bigger piping in their to match the rest of the exhaust andallow better exhaust flow.

Dropped by yesterday. Looking good so far. Car is schedule to fire up tomorrow.
Looking at options to tap the SC plenum for Nitrous jets now.

I should have taken some pics when I visited the shop yesterday. There was one section of the shop that was pretty badly burned and a big hole in the cieling where the fire burned through on July 4th.

I've got Brembo Red touches here and there on the motor. The 82mm throttle body modified opening is so much bigger. It's going to make a difference in intake velocity and flow.
Nice! I cant wait!

You want a direct port setup? How big of a shot do you wanna run? You can run a wet setup pre TB on the elbow pretty easily if the shot isnt too big.

Oh yes, much more flow. I maxed out my injectors doing that! What do you planon running in front of the TB? Still gonna run the 55k airboxes?
Old 07-25-2009, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Nice! I cant wait!

You want a direct port setup? How big of a shot do you wanna run? You can run a wet setup pre TB on the elbow pretty easily if the shot isnt too big.

Oh yes, much more flow. I maxed out my injectors doing that! What do you planon running in front of the TB? Still gonna run the 55k airboxes?
After the car is broken in. I'm thinkin a 100shot should be enough but will consider a 150 shot max. My pistons, valves, rings, re-coated cylinders and bulletproof tranny are all heavy duty racing variety so it should handle the boost with no problems. Vadim is thinking of applying the shots directly over over cylinder so you could call that a cirect port setup. As for the airboxes, the 55K airboxes are being replaced by custom intakes similar to the Fangs which are wider diameter wih cone filters. The injectors will likely be 60lb injectors but Vadim will see exactly how big the injectors need to be to support 21psi.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey Mike,
Got a proposition for you. If your LTs make 20whp or more over the Kleemann then I'll pay for them on the spot $2900 + install labor. If it only makes 10whp more, then I'll give you $2000, Any less than that and you put my Kleemann's back on with no labor charge. Do we have a deal?
Old 07-29-2009, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Hey Mike,
Got a proposition for you. If your LTs make 20whp or more over the Kleemann then I'll pay for them on the spot $2900 + install labor. If it only makes 10whp more, then I'll give you $2000, Any less than that and you put my Kleemann's back on with no labor charge. Do we have a deal?
Interesting. Not a bad proposition. Curious how this turns out.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:40 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 91 Likes on 46 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
Hey Mike,
I cant even get the headers made for 2K. I've fought tooth an nail to get them to $2900. IF these headers where installed at Dyno-Comp I would gladly cover the install/uninstall cost if they didn't make the kind of power.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C55, 09 E350
I would really like to see how much they gain as well. How much HP do the Kleeman put out anyways? I'm guessing 15rwhp ? So these are expected to put out around 35? As much as I would like to see the prices fall and the comparison Hooley doesn't make them himself so he cant really dictate the final costs which I do believe even though they seem really expensive are a legitimately good deal to begin with. I say give him a chance install them if they are not what you expected then put the Kleeman back on. You will probably not even get this type of luxury with any other tuner.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:08 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by JonMBZ
I would really like to see how much they gain as well. How much HP do the Kleeman put out anyways? I'm guessing 15rwhp ? So these are expected to put out around 35? As much as I would like to see the prices fall and the comparison Hooley doesn't make them himself so he cant really dictate the final costs which I do believe even though they seem really expensive are a legitimately good deal to begin with. I say give him a chance install them if they are not what you expected then put the Kleeman back on. You will probably not even get this type of luxury with any other tuner.

I would love to see my headers pitted against any header on the market, win loose or draw, it would be cool to see. There are companies that will make these headers at a lesser cost. Much like other big performance shops do. I dont want to do that, the welds could be hit or miss, along with over all fit and finish. I would rather have them hand made by our fabrication team.

Once you get these headers in your hands can you understand the quality, time, and attention to detail that is put into each set.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There are companies that will make these headers at a lesser cost.
I know that LET just began offering E55 long tubes in 304 Stainless for $1999. I believe you use a thicker gauge Stainless correct? Is it necessary? Does it add unneccesary weight relative to the additional durability?
Old 07-29-2009, 08:29 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
I know that LET just began offering E55 long tubes in 304 Stainless for $1999. I believe you use a thicker gauge Stainless correct? Is it necessary? Does it add unneccesary weight relative to the additional durability?
By no means was I referring to what LET does. I was referring to larger companies that send there prototypes out to be mass produced my a manufacturing company.

I think LET is using 16 gage 304 for the runners. As am I.

We use 321 SS for our flanges. The stuff maybe unneeded but it offers some piece of mind not having to worry about a flange crapping out on you. 321 plate stainless is super hard to find. Also our collector is hand made to the specs of the motor. You can buy collectors, but in some case you cant truly find one that is dead on to the specs you need. Just because the collector fits the size runners you are using doesn't make it the right collector.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mike,
I'll take them for $2900 including tax. Now I just need to sell my Kleemann headers for $800.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:06 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
PM sent
Old 10-14-2009, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PM sent
I may have a buyer for my Kleemann headers. When I get my money I will send the car your way. btw....Need a firm quote on a full SL55 Kompressor install. if worthwhile, I'll sell my Kleemann twin-screw also.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:30 PM

hi are these headers still in production ? and is there any update on the price ?
Old 09-05-2010, 08:48 PM

C55
Will these headers fit on a RH drive car?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C55 long tube header update