C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Resale Value differences between AMG and lower C-Class?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none currently
Resale Value differences between AMG and lower C-Class?

Hi. I'm currently thinking of buying a mercedes: likely a c32 amg, c55 amg or c280 or somewhere around there.

My question is, if for example, the C55 AMG would cost me $25k and the c280 would cost me $18k (both used, prices are approximate), when I looked to upgrade and sell the car in 3-4 years, would the resall value be significantly better with the AMG (i.e. c55 amg would sell then for $21k and c280 would sell for $13k), so that as long as i have the money to spend currently, I'm not actually "spending" more money, because when I sell it i'll get a significant amount back, and it becomes actually a better buy to get the more expensive car.

Is this true?

Sorry if this is the wrong sub-forum for this.

Thanks very much.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:21 PM

2008 Obsidian Black C63
I would think so, but don't take my word for it.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
whtas the market like now? Wont be any different then
If you want look up comparable C36 and C43's compared to C280 and C230s of the same year
Old 07-25-2009, 07:28 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
MB (as well as majority of the brands) depreciate by % and factor in mileage and condition. There is no AMG = better resale value.

buy a car now whether it be 2005 C55 or 2005 C280 you would loose the same % by the time you sell the car.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C55
I'm pretty sure AMG's depreciate much quicker than non AMG's due to less people wanting them versus a regular c class.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
they depreciate about the same rate if you buy them used. AMG's depreciate more if you buy them new. think about it, a 60k new is only a few thousand more then a 32k c-class on the used car market. There's no add on value by having a AMG in terms of pricing.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
IMO, I wouldn't be buying this car for it's resale value. You need to buy this car because you want this specific car, not because you're trying to break even.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:25 AM
RES

2005 C55, 1988 260E, 2000 Chevrolet Silverado
I got my car to keep my right foot happy!
Old 07-26-2009, 04:59 PM

none currently
thanks everyone for the responses so far.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
You're asking which will depreciate faster. Usually, that's because someone wants to plan a financial exit strategy, which isn't a bad idea. However, "depreciation" is not the whole question.

You may want to compare the total cost of ownership (TCO). Depreciation is only a part of TCO. What about the operating costs? Fuel, repairs, maintenance (which impacts repairs, but is a separate category), registration, and insurance should be on your list as well. The first time you need front rotors on a C55, the TCO comparison between that and a C230/C280 will go right out the window.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
agreed...just buy the car you like better. If you want good resale value and cheap maintence..buy a ACURA. Most people who buy a mercedes, buy it because they like the styling, comfort or performance. Good resale value and cheap maintence is mutually exclusive to mercedes.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:07 PM

none currently
Originally Posted by MarcusF
You're asking which will depreciate faster. Usually, that's because someone wants to plan a financial exit strategy, which isn't a bad idea. However, "depreciation" is not the whole question.

You may want to compare the total cost of ownership (TCO). Depreciation is only a part of TCO. What about the operating costs? Fuel, repairs, maintenance (which impacts repairs, but is a separate category), registration, and insurance should be on your list as well. The first time you need front rotors on a C55, the TCO comparison between that and a C230/C280 will go right out the window.
this is very very helpful tyvm
Old 07-28-2009, 06:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
SLK55 AMG, E320 BlueTec, ML350, (formerly) C32 AMG, MR2 Turbo, HD-FLH-FSE, BMW R100RS, Ducati M900
Resale

Bro - my advice is to do whatever it takes to justify the AMG in your own mind

If you like performance, luxury, style, exclusivity and pride of ownership, you will never regret the higher price of the AMG. Since you mentioned looking at the C55 or C32 I assume that you are shopping for a used car? After they are about 4-6 years old the AMG's really do not depreciate any more than their other C-Klasse bretheren who are lower on the food chain. At least here in KY, I have found that maintenance is no more costly than a Honda but the dealers are further apart. I think that most AMG owners take better care of their cars than average even when compared only to other Benz owners. So the chances of finding a well maintained unit is higher. And even if they are high performance cars, 98% of the time, they are loafing down the highway. While they may get romped on occasionally, it is still a small percentage of the time (and I am a confirmed speed freak).

I bought a low mileage one owner C36 years ago, drove it to 100k+ miles, maintained it religously and other than cost of oil changes being about twice that of the other car (cause I went to the MB dealer and used Mobil-1), my cost of maint was less than $2500. When I sold it, it had depreaciated by about 50%. Those massive AMG front rotors are easy to change yourself if you have any mechanical skill and will not cost over $400 for the pads, sensors and rotors. I know as I did both the C36 and a newer C32 in the last year. Truth is I have had few costly repairs with either car. I think as they get older the AMG's might??? hold their value a little better but they are harder to resell just becuase they appeal to a more narrow spectrum of buyer. Insurance is slightly more costly but I still pay more to insure my wifes SUV than I do my bright red AMG. My experience is that the AMG's do depreciate but it is not a problem if you take care of them, they have a long lifespan and are built like an aircraft (i.e. they were made to be maintained long term with many systems designed to be taken apart and repaired as opposed to the japanese approach of assemblies meant only to be replaced). An AMG will be on the highway far longer than its contemporary Ford, Chevy or Honda just because the driving population will recognize it as a "Special Car" and keep it and care for it.

So in some ways the longer you keep it the better deal it becomes. For example: Who wants a 1980's era Mustang or Impala or even E300? I would venture, not many. Hell even the 1988 Corvette is a pig. But who here would like to have one of the early W124 1988 6.0 liter DOHC 375 hp AMG Hammers? Those were able to smoke a Porsche 928 S4 back in 1988, lol. I know that I would trade my C32 for one right now, lol. That's my point. How many 20 year old cars still inspire an enthusiastic response? Few.

The only big problem that I have had is that my tire budget is higher as it tends to burn thru rear tires at a prodigous rate and them big wide Bridgestones are not cheap.

Irish