Another mystery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 01:23 PM
dfc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03' C32, 98' Civic EX
Another mystery

Well, this is an update to the list of mysterious failures/issues that had happened to my C32. Sunday (16th) night as you folks know, right before the blizzard hit CT, the weather was super cold (-18C). I started my car from a day of inactivity, and noticed something strange with the display screen in the center of speedometer. The display screen seemed to be frozen, and it'd take a good 30sec for the screen to reflect the push of a button on the steering wheel.

I joked w/ a friend (who favors BMW over anyting, and thinks MB is inferior) that it's the cold weather that caused the display to "freeze"; and once it warms up, it'll be okay. Of course he didn't belive me and started bashing on MB's quality. Well, about 5min into our drive, my "freezing" theory became a reality. The display started to react quicker to button push (about 10sec delay). The informatino would fade in and out, which looked kind of cool. Then 15 min into the drive, all things became normal. As surprised as my friend was, I insisted that this is the "weather's" fault, and not MB's. Luckily, I escaped another round of BMW vs. MB w/ him.

So, any of you had similar issues? What's your explanation?

Below is the list of issues/problems I had since getting the C32:
- Suspension squeeking noise (dealer tried to fix once by adding lubricant, but no improvement)
- Chirp sound (as many of you have identified to be from S/C)
- Mini-Jerk at 1500RPM (this "feature" only available in "S" mode)
- "Tick..." sound from right side of engine bay (now this one is gay, it is on periodically, and I have yet to ask dealer about it.)
- Security module death (car won't start, dealer replaced the module and the keys, everything works fine after)
- "Frozen display" (my favorite so far, the fading effect is cool)
- Malfunction seat and steering wheel adjustment (fixed itself after a day of rest)
- Sudden death of comand (fixed itself after smoked a cigarette)
Old 02-18-2003, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32
wow... i have never heard a computer equiment will acutally freeze and stop working due to temp. but... i guess i live in so-cal so i don't know shiet. =P

hope you get everything figure out~

Jerry
Old 02-19-2003, 03:13 PM

slow display

I'm in Chicago. When it gets really cold same thing. Just the cold.
Old 02-19-2003, 03:20 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dfc

Sorry to be off track here but what happened with your hood? Is that an aftermaket?
Old 02-19-2003, 03:47 PM

C230 Kompressor SPORTS COUPE
I go tot school up in NH and the same thing happens to me every time I start my car on the real cold days, I think it has to do with the fact that it is a liquid crystal display and not LED, but after the dcar warms up it is fine...
Old 02-20-2003, 09:25 AM
dfc

03' C32, 98' Civic EX
Ok, thanks guys for clearing that up.
JamE55, that was just some Photoshopping. I was bored and decided to paint. Disregard the front facia, but I would like to see the rear or C32 looking like what I have painted. I just think the current one looks too tri-angular.
Old 03-07-2003, 04:07 PM

03 C32 - Pewter
Frozen display and other quirks

Hey DFC - Nice car. We have twins... I love the pewter as well.

I am in Canada, if anyone knows cold, I do. The LCD response time is absolutely due to the cold. I have the same issue every day.

As for the ticking sound from the right side engine bay, I have it too. I don't know why it happens, but it is definitely coming from the ESP/ABS module. Don't think it is abnormal. Frankly, I am more than willing to put up with it in return for the awesome performance of the ESP in snow to prevent fish tales!

Here is a weird one that I get in the cold - When it has been really cold (-30 deg C) When I ride the car out hard, say when I am getting onto the highway, and ride it up quickly to about 180km/hr it's almost like a limiter kicks in and the RPM drops for half a second, then it's like the car has lost half it's hp for the next 2 minutes or so??? Anyone ever have this? Last week I was totally embarrassed after I blew past a 330i only to have my engine cut on me!!@!
Old 03-08-2003, 10:38 PM
dfc

03' C32, 98' Civic EX
Hello Accexe, the situation you described about the "limiter cut-in" issue had never happened to me. That sounds like an odd, if not problematic, issue. Did you ask the dealer about it? I have never had experiences like that. I have about 5100 mils to mine to-date. I will head to dealer for oil change nxt week, so I'll ask him about the "click" sound, and about the strange experience you've had.