C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Green filters suck. Glad I checked them.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 02:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55
Green filters suck. Glad I checked them.

I changed my plugs and wires this weekend and since I had the air boxes off, I decided to take a peak at my Green filters that have been in since March. I read on here a while back people were having problems. Sure enough, one of the filter's rubber surrounds had ripped up and down the length of the filter and propped the filter up so there was a gap. God knows how long it's been like this. I actually had to cut off the rubber piece on one side so the filter would sit right in the box until my K&N's come in. What a piece of s$%t. I hope I can get a refund because I don't want another set of these junk filters. I've been using K&N's my entire life without any problems. I just had to try something new. I'm such a dumb ***. Sorry, just venting....
Old 08-03-2009, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
glad you noticed. definitely go with K&Ns. I've had the exact same set of K&Ns now for 5 yrs and they are still in perfect physical condition and intact (though they are probably due for a cleaning lol)
Old 08-03-2009, 05:06 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
never had issue with Green filter when I had'em, but a lot of ppl seems to have issues with it.

running BMC on the 55 airbox FTW!
Old 08-03-2009, 06:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 C32 1987 190E 2.3 334K miles and going
Another Green Filter collapse victim

Originally Posted by 02C32guy
I changed my plugs and wires this weekend and since I had the air boxes off, I decided to take a peak at my Green filters that have been in since March. I read on here a while back people were having problems. Sure enough, one of the filter's rubber surrounds had ripped up and down the length of the filter and propped the filter up so there was a gap. God knows how long it's been like this. I actually had to cut off the rubber piece on one side so the filter would sit right in the box until my K&N's come in. What a piece of s$%t. I hope I can get a refund because I don't want another set of these junk filters. I've been using K&N's my entire life without any problems. I just had to try something new. I'm such a dumb ***. Sorry, just venting....
This has happened to quite a few folks. Green filters either did not pull off the shelves these batches of bad filters and are still being sold or they have not improved the quality of their product at all despite their claim of improved versions.
Glad you caught it just in time. And yes, mine didn't last a year and both filters looked as if it melted inside the air box.
K&Ns you rock!!
Old 08-04-2009, 03:59 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
'02 C32, '10 135i M-Sport, '10 E63, '17 GLE63S
You guys are making me scared to go check mine. Car is running beautifully, but...

If you pull the airbox covers off and the filters are dead/dying, will it hurt to put the covers back on for a day or two until new filters arrive? I don't want to go and check them out if they're going to fall apart as soon as I pull off the covers... I suppose I could buy K&Ns from VatoZone, install 'em, order cheap ones online and then return the cheap ones, eh?
Old 08-04-2009, 04:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I DON'T COME HERE ANYMORE
Originally Posted by evilsaint
You guys are making me scared to go check mine. Car is running beautifully, but...

If you pull the airbox covers off and the filters are dead/dying, will it hurt to put the covers back on for a day or two until new filters arrive? I don't want to go and check them out if they're going to fall apart as soon as I pull off the covers... I suppose I could buy K&Ns from VatoZone, install 'em, order cheap ones online and then return the cheap ones, eh?
Sounds like when I needed a 20' ladder for that one light bulb I had to swap
Old 08-04-2009, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by evilsaint

well if there are any little pieces on their own, i would snag those out. its better to drive with filters than without filters. if you have another car, i would recommend using that for a day or two instead of the C if your filters are falling apart. if not, you should be ok, just don't drive with it that much longer.

And I ordered my K&Ns from Autozone. i think they were 60 or 70 for the pair (5 yrs ago)
Old 08-04-2009, 05:07 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
'02 C32, '10 135i M-Sport, '10 E63, '17 GLE63S
Originally Posted by rockjock
Sounds like when I needed a 20' ladder for that one light bulb I had to swap
Hey, if you make a lax return policy and hire lazy workers, you deserve to be taken advantage of
Old 08-04-2009, 05:21 PM

2005 E55
Check them to see what they look like so you know what you're dealing with. Mine was just the rubber around the filter. Once I trimmed it, they were fine to use until my K&N's come.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS, SLK, ETC
It's always good habit to check your filter once in awhile.. I do it once a week jst in case..
People paid more for these filters and we def expect better their products to be better...

This is a bS
Old 08-05-2009, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
I never had an issue with either the Green filters or K&N
Old 08-05-2009, 12:57 PM

2005 E55
The K&N's came today. When I installed them I was happy to see that they came with gaskets for the top of the air box and regular hose clamps to replace the annoying stock ones. What's with MB and annoying hose clamps? Every project I do, the hardest part is dealing with their stupid clamps.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:58 PM

2005 E55
The K&N's came today. When I installed them I was happy to see that they came with gaskets for the top of the air box and regular hose clamps to replace the annoying stock ones. What's with MB and annoying hose clamps? Every project I do, the hardest part is dealing with their stupid clamps.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 C32 1987 190E 2.3 334K miles and going
Originally Posted by 02C32guy
After dealing with these clamps specially the air box clamps, I've gotten it down to a science. simple pliers
at 90 degree pulling inwards will lift one end over the ridge and snap it in place. 3 second job.