C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Code3 Supercharger Pulley Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 10:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 C32 1987 190E 2.3 334K miles and going
Originally Posted by francoisisp
ok i find myself in the same situation as some of you have i konw about the code 3 company problem. I think my sc pulley about going to **** I NEED A NEW SC PULLEY WHERE CAN I BUY ONE. CODE 3 OR NOT I NEED A DAMN PULLEY.
do you need a S/C pulley or do you need just the bearing?

I purchased from Bearings direct.com $20.49
P/N Nachi 32BG05S1-2DST

GL
Old 11-15-2009, 02:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 '02 silver 70K
SC stock Pulley removal

OBJECTIVE:
removing the original SC pulley, w/o damaging it.
1. Received Code3 SC Pulley.
2. Removing the 2002 original "noisy" SC Pulley was not possible as per instructions; it was frozen solid on the shaft (2002 original owner).
3. Used a plumbers RUBBER Strap Wrench ($13) to hold the SC CLUTCH in position w/o turning, while turning the bolt counter-clockwise. Removed the washer - so far so good. No damage was done to the original pulley.
4. Purchased a 3-leg $13 general 6" puller.
5. Wound a strong wire around the pulley belt groove closest to the clutch and created 3 loops for the purpose of fastening the puller "legs" to those loops/o-rings.
6. Turned the PULLER center bolt clockwise after inserting a nut as spacer over the center bolt hole on the shaft (to avoid damage).
7. The pulley broke loose quickly; and when removed, several areas on the shaft showed RUST - probably the reason for the "freeze" condition.
8. Cleaned the shaft and lubricated with bearing grease. Did not remove the original 3 washers/spacers.
9. Positioned the Code3 pulley and used a 2x3 block and a rubber hammer to push the pulley onto the shaft.
10. The gap between the clutch and pulley clutch plate was large.
11. Removed the pulley again by hand and removed two spacers; pushed the pulley back into position and the gap narrowed to a tight .30.
12. Placed the large thick washer onto the shaft using the 2 positioning pins.
13. Tightened the bolt; used lock-tight.
14. Installed the belt, hoses etc.
15. One last check = done.

The local Mercedes AMG Technician had a SC pulley puller fabricated; apparently the shop tool from AMG is VERY expensive! The above tool worked VERY WELL for me, at about a totral of $20 - keeping the original pulley intact. I will replace the bearing, when it becomes available. Will also replace the upper guide pulley ($50) when it arrives.

You may have noticed, that the Code3 Installation write up did not elaborate on the difficult part, removing a frozen pulley... Hope this will be helpful.

I have pictures.

Note: my concern regarding the knife-sharp groove edges and possible BELT damage I will monitor closely; have an idea how to minimize the risk, if need to

Originally Posted by AJBoost
As most of you know, i've been in the market for a pulley to replace my worn and noisy stock unit. I decided to order the Code3 piece and could not be happier!

The installation was very smooth. I followed the procedure as found on the Code3 pdf. almost exactly. The only modification I made was replacing the crow bar with a strap wrench to hold the pulley in place. The pulley came off without a hitch and went back on the same way. I installed the included shim for the spacing and torqued the main bolt to 20nm with my torque wrench.

Driving impression, WOW... This thing really hauls now. The power delivery at lower rpms are also amplified tremendously. It feels like there is more torque all the time. I highly recomend this product to anyone looking to boost the C32 to a new level. Thanks to the members who contributed with info and to Brandon for the great customer service.

Now...Time to install the package from APE . It's a good weekend!

Albert Hernandez.

Last edited by uweb; 11-16-2009 at 11:55 PM. Reason: added Note:
Old 11-15-2009, 05:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not an AMG :(
Originally Posted by uweb
OBJECTIVE:
removing the original SC pulley, w/o damaging it.
1. Received Code3 SC Pulley.
2. Removing the 2002 original "noisy" SC Pulley was not possible as per instructions; it was frozen solid on the shaft (2002 original owner).
3. Used a plumbers RUBBER Strap Wrench ($13) to hold the SC CLUTCH in position w/o turning, while turning the bolt counter-clockwise. Removed the washer - so far so good. No damage was done to the original pulley.
4. Purchased a 3-leg $13 general 6" puller.
5. Wound a strong wire around the pulley belt groove closest to the clutch and created 3 loops for the purpose of fastening the puller "legs" to those loops/o-rings.
6. Turned the PULLER center bolt clockwise after inserting a nut as spacer over the center bolt hole on the shaft (to avoid damage).
7. The pulley broke loose quickly; and when removed, several areas on the shaft showed RUST - probably the reason for the "freeze" condition.
8. Cleaned the shaft and lubricated with bearing grease. Did not remove the original 3 washers/spacers.
9. Positioned the Code3 pulley and used a 2x3 block and a rubber hammer to push the pulley onto the shaft.
10. The gap between the clutch and pulley clutch plate was large.
11. Removed the pulley again by hand and removed two spacers; pushed the pulley back into position and the gap narrowed to a tight .30.
12. Placed the large thick washer onto the shaft using the 2 positioning pins.
13. Tightened the bolt; used lock-tight.
14. Installed the belt, hoses etc.
15. One last check = done.

The local Mercedes AMG Technician had a SC pulley puller fabricated; apparently the shop tool from AMG is VERY expensive! The above tool worked VERY WELL for me, at about a totral of $20 - keeping the original pulley intact. I will replace the bearing, when it becomes available. Will also replace the upper guide pulley ($50) when it arrives.

You may have noticed, that the Code3 Installation write up did not elaborate on the difficult part, removing a frozen pulley... Hope this will be helpful.

I have pictures.
Good instructions uweb

Absolutely, if you have photos, post 'em up so that anyone who isn't sure what they are doing can have a visual reference!
Old 11-15-2009, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
Great instructions. I had to remove my pulley also a 2002. Took me forever, not to mention that I had to wait for the torx e11 socket to come in because no one had them locally. Then when I went to press the bearing out of the pulley, I didn't know that there was a retainer clip. Broke some of the bolts on the press and destroyed the pulley. Bought a used one on the forum and then had to replace the bearing. Still a pain in the butt job to do. Wish I would have known there was a pulley puller, it would have made the job a bit simpler.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
uweb......where in AZ are you located? i rarely ever see any other C32s out here.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:08 PM

c32 amg
[QUOTE=AJBoost;3660968]As most of you know, i've been in the market for a pulley to replace my worn and noisy stock unit. I decided to order the Code3 piece and could not be happier!

The installation was very smooth. I followed the procedure as found on the Code3 pdf. almost exactly. The only modification I made was replacing the crow bar with a strap wrench to hold the pulley in place. The pulley came off without a hitch and went back on the same way. I installed the included shim for the spacing and torqued the main bolt to 20nm with my torque wrench.

Driving impression, WOW... This thing really hauls now. The power delivery at lower rpms are also amplified tremendously. It feels like there is more torque all the time. I highly recomend this product to anyone looking to boost the C32 to a new level. Thanks to the members who contributed with info and to Brandon for the great customer service.

Now...Time to install the package from APE . It's a good weekend!

Albert Hernandez.[/QUOT i bin with cod3 3 since 2 yuors back hello swedwen]
Old 11-16-2009, 05:16 PM

c32 amg
code 3

Originally Posted by AirFrcd
CODE3 is owned and operated by the BIGGEST PIECE OF **** EVER!
Just read this thread.

DON'T EVER BUY CODE3 products, unless you want to be ripped off!

Save your hard earned $ and buy from LET, aka "eurocharged"
well so post is thrue but a ,have always rebile on code 3 and a always use ,et from sweden and ma y best 1/4 12,78 with code 3 an intake
Old 11-16-2009, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by merc4ever
well so post is thrue but a ,have always rebile on code 3 and a always use ,et from sweden and ma y best 1/4 12,78 with code 3 an intake
Time slip for that 12.78 please??? Is that for an 1/8 mile???
Old 11-16-2009, 05:41 PM

c32 amg
c32

Originally Posted by moosejaw
Sum it up
Code 3 used to be a sponsor here
I emphasize the phrase "used to be"
then a i haft be lucky order it back 2008 well brandon haft to be a street gay
Old 11-16-2009, 05:43 PM

c32 amg
c 32

Originally Posted by moosejaw
im surprised Code3 are still in business
they are
Old 11-16-2009, 07:49 PM

c32 amg
c32

Originally Posted by AirFrcd
CODE3 is owned and operated by the BIGGEST PIECE OF **** EVER!
Just read this thread.

DON'T EVER BUY CODE3 products, unless you want to be ripped off!

Save your hard earned $ and buy from LET, aka "eurocharged"
oooh thts big words
Old 11-16-2009, 07:54 PM

c32 amg
Originally Posted by AJBoost
Woah. Dude take a chill pill, seriously. I needed a supercharger pulley to replace my worn out unit. LET does not sell supercharger pulleys, they sell crank pulleys. Period.

Albert Hernandez.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:09 PM

c32 amg
c32

Originally Posted by Newzchspy
Time slip for that 12.78 please??? Is that for an 1/8 mile???
wi are not in arizona
Old 11-16-2009, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
i would like to clarify that brandon sold the rights to c3 to hp autowerks and is now employed by them. while the customer service may be lacking the product itself (the c3 pulley) is a high quality very reliable pulley. the long term effects of running larger crank pullies hasnt been proven yet . what has been proven is underiven pulleys have adverse effects obn the acc. pulleys leading to failure. the c3 hasnt had any effect on any other pulleys and only spins the s/c faster.
blast brandon if you want but the pulley works!!

airfcd i know you got a really raw deal but the new company is much different.

uweb the replacement bearing you are looking for is available thru hp autowerks. there was also a group buy on srt-6 forum and we got them shipped to our door for 26.10!! you can try there and see if the buy is still going. its a member getting them directly from the factory in japan. his screen name is cruzinquick

Last edited by 320 dreamer; 11-16-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:03 AM

C32 '02 silver 70K
Uweb location: Pima County - real desert and little traffic... haha

Originally Posted by jturkel
uweb......where in AZ are you located? i rarely ever see any other C32s out here.
- I'm living in the "real desert" and little traffic makes it interesting ... at times when the wife asks: " where are you going?" haha
Old 11-17-2009, 03:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 '02
Actually cruzinquick got it from me, I shipped a whole case. I can sell 1 piece for 45 with international express. 3 days max to continental U.S. If anyone is interested in a GB, pm me for details.
Attached Thumbnails Code3 Supercharger Pulley Review-.jpg  
Old 11-17-2009, 12:59 PM

2005 E55
I don't really want to get into this age old debate, but I've never gotten bad service from Brandon and HP Autowerks was more of the same great service. Their pulley was two weeks late, but honestly it was to be expected. They answered all of my emails literally within minutes and the pulley has been awesome.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
Originally Posted by ML500K
Actually cruzinquick got it from me, I shipped a whole case. I can sell 1 piece for 45 with international express. 3 days max to continental U.S. If anyone is interested in a GB, pm me for details.
sorry bro let me give credit were credit is due!!! i got my spare bearing from cruzin and the price was awesome!! i now have a c3 with new bearings , oem with new bearings and a spare
Old 11-18-2009, 09:28 AM

srt6
Originally Posted by 320 dreamer
i would like to clarify that brandon sold the rights to c3 to hp autowerks and is now employed by them. while the customer service may be lacking the product itself (the c3 pulley) is a high quality very reliable pulley. the long term effects of running larger crank pullies hasnt been proven yet . what has been proven is underiven pulleys have adverse effects obn the acc. pulleys leading to failure. the c3 hasnt had any effect on any other pulleys and only spins the s/c faster.
blast brandon if you want but the pulley works!!

airfcd i know you got a really raw deal but the new company is much different.

uweb the replacement bearing you are looking for is available thru hp autowerks. there was also a group buy on srt-6 forum and we got them shipped to our door for 26.10!! you can try there and see if the buy is still going. its a member getting them directly from the factory in japan. his screen name is cruzinquick

I have almost 13,000 miles on my code3 pulley and it has worked flawlessly for me so far.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:22 PM

2011 C63, 2004 S500, 2013 E350, 2013 Ody Elite
Just got my noisy oem pulley replaced (dealer quote me $2,400 installed for new clutch and pulley) to C3 pulley plus intake and new belt. I always tell my wife that diesel sound is normal...and now I have to tell her that baby sucking air sound is normal (from intake).

I'm local to HPAuto so Brandon did the installation himself. I think there must be some misunderstanding on both side from above event but personal experiance with Brandon was very helpful and friendly..and good sales too. (going in for bearing fix and out with performance mod...hahaha)

Happy Motoring...