C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Powerchip custom tuning - good deal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
This is so sad I want to cry for you my friend. I have seen your post and all your enthusiasm about your project only to hear that it has not been completed.

Powerchip and everyone else involved dropped the ball on this one . Seriously, $30K, which is a lot of money. Your frustration is understandable but to be honest I would have been in jail long time ago. I would have started from the head all the way to the janitor...I would have B-tch slapped everyone.

How can they quote you 10k for a tune?, WTF!! I sure hope MBworld does something regarding this...this is just too low, Please MBWorld tell me you stand behind your members, tell me this guy didn't spend 30K of his hard earned money feeding the mouths of god knows how many *******s only for him to go home at the end of the night and tell his wife he just blew 30K out the window and hasn't driven his car in 10 months....PLEASE tell me you would do something....Tell me there is justice...

I know a lot of people with 55K's that currently need tunes. From this day forward powerchip is crossed off my list. It will spread like wild fire...I always give recommendations on which tuners to use, and they sure won't be one of them.

Get your car to Arizona man...Hooleyboy, mad respect for stepping up to this challenge. The best friend someone could have in this industry is honesty and compassion for people like him.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nissan GT-R cobb/midpipe/ic piping/wastegate actuators/tials
Hey- I have a 1990 honda civic, i'll sell it to you for $15k- it's an SI!!
Old 10-30-2009, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P-Carro
Hey Jody isnt this funny? we were just talking about these powerchip tune a couple of weeks ago...these guys pull crap like this and expect to get away with it for life..I hope someone from POWERCHIP comes up with the real story!

What
Originally Posted by V12Godspeed
This is so sad I want to cry for you my friend. I have seen your post and all your enthusiasm about your project only to hear that it has not been completed.

Powerchip and everyone else involved dropped the ball on this one . Seriously, $30K, which is a lot of money. Your frustration is understandable but to be honest I would have been in jail long time ago. I would have started from the head all the way to the janitor...I would have B-tch slapped everyone.

How can they quote you 10k for a tune?, WTF!! I sure hope MBworld does something regarding this...this is just too low, Please MBWorld tell me you stand behind your members, tell me this guy didn't spend 30K of his hard earned money feeding the mouths of god knows how many *******s only for him to go home at the end of the night and tell his wife he just blew 30K out the window and hasn't driven his car in 10 months....PLEASE tell me you would do something....Tell me there is justice...

I know a lot of people with 55K's that currently need tunes. From this day forward powerchip is crossed off my list. It will spread like wild fire...I always give recommendations on which tuners to use, and they sure won't be one of them.

Get your car to Arizona man...Hooleyboy, mad respect for stepping up to this challenge. The best friend someone could have in this industry is honesty and compassion for people like him.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by LOCO 05' E55
Hey Jody isnt this funny? we were just talking about these powerchip tune a couple of weeks ago...these guys pull crap like this and expect to get away with it for life..I hope someone from POWERCHIP comes up with the real story!

What
^^^ Exactly my point. There is one of the guys I was pushing. Thx.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
I will be willing to help you pick up your ride. Also could help arrange towing if needed. PM
Old 10-30-2009, 12:35 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by JonMBZ
I will be willing to help you pick up your ride. Also could help arrange towing if needed. PM
hell yeah, thats stepping up to help a member.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Agree w/ everyone else - $10k for custom ECU tuning is way too much, even for your one-off custom MB/AMG/Kleemann/etc project.

Are they developing a standalone control unit and tuning it for you or something? Otherwise, excessive is an understatement - my first impression is that it sounds like an "opportunistic" quote given the extensive, on-going mod expenses you've incurred to date in your C55 build.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMGSC
That's probably a "ghost" website where they offer the ghost tunes. They are quoting me a live human tune and the high price is to cover the cost of sending an auditor from HQ to make sure the tune is authorized and Corporate is paid. j/k!
PC custom-tuned (i.e. by a live human ) bassn_07's record-setting, heavily modded E55 - while I don't know what he paid, you might want to PM him and "compare notes." I highly doubt it was anywhere near $10k. Why do they assume yours would be so much more difficult/costly?
Old 10-30-2009, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
shrimp boat
Wow, what a sad situation. I feel very bad for the OP. I hope that this board and the members of this board can help him out and get his car running right. Next time do some research before you spend your money.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 E63S AMG, 2003 SLK 230 Sport, 2004 SL 600, 2006 SLK 55 AMG, 1998 E320 Wagon
Vadim charged me only $299 with his holiday special. Since when did Powerchip become such a ripoff???
Old 10-30-2009, 01:05 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
10K means they dont want to do it. Its like a dude getting a tattoo in a place the artist doesn't want to do it.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 744 Likes on 725 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
wow, 10k...
i paid fraction of it for dyno tune and prolly most gain out of all...
go wid different tuner and spend remaining 8~9K on other mods or savings account....
Old 10-30-2009, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ill do the tune for you for 9 grand
Old 10-30-2009, 01:59 PM

Mercedes AMG C63
Are you located on the east coast? I have someone you should talk to before you spend that much money.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
Originally Posted by hooleyboy
10K means they dont want to do it. Its like a dude getting a tattoo in a place the artist doesn't want to do it.
No they said they trust Vadim's work. He had lots of nice things to say about Vadim. They sit side by side in the same office.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMGSC
No they said they trust Vadim's work. He had lots of nice things to say about Vadim. They sit side by side in the same office.
Why did your thread in the w211 AMG forum get deleted?
Old 10-30-2009, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Powerchip Feedback/Experience

This is truly an outrage. The guy has been a loyal customer for a couple of years, he spent a LOT of money with them, has been very extremely patient throughout the entire process, and have always been praising Powerchip along the way.... yet now, they leave him out to dry If they do this to some of their best customers, what should others expect?

Not to mention the "lost parts" issue. When a high-end company dealing with very high-end cars starts losing parts, then a red flag should be drawn out right away.

Like I said, this is truly an outrage. I hope Powerchip can issue some type of explanation or they'll start losing a lot of business.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Glass half-full me says because his car is a C55.

Glass half-empty me says because there's less traffic in this section.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
it appears that it has been merged into this one....

Originally Posted by JonMBZ
you the man!

Originally Posted by transferred

yah....less traffic = less attention......this is absolute CRAP
Old 10-30-2009, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Founder

ones too fast according to CHP!
Whoa, this thread is out of control! lol

I started multi-quoting, but then gave up.

Listen, I think that some clarity and perspective might help.

Vadim and Powerchip are NOT the same company. Any money paid to Vadim or business given to him has nothing to do with Powerchip. Vadim rented space from Powerchip and purchased goods like any other customer - that was the extent of the business relationship. People who say "Robert paid Vadim all this money, so Powerchip owes Rabert" are so wrong. Anything that Robert paid to Vadim is between Robert and Vadim - it has NOTHING to do with Powerchip.

Robert's car is a bit of a potential problem for anyone. Robert has called many shops looking for another place to work on or finish his car. I know that at least one of them has quoted him a very high amount (it was us, evosport) due to the fact that there are so many known problems and shortcuts with the car, the risks to work on it are high. With high risks, you better get a high reward - so that comes with a higher price tag.

Taking a known problem car is a losing bet for nearly any shop or tuner. You have a customer that has already spent lot's of money with one shop and not reached their goals, so they have little money left. Then they want the new shop to fix everything (which typically means undo and redo everything) for less money. That does not make sense.

For those that say "Powerchip just did not want to do it" well that is not true. They did want to do it, at their price. It was clearly not worth it to them to take on the risk with this car for any less of a financial reward.

Should they by punished for that? WHY would they? It is called free-market. If Robert does not like it, he can gladly go to another tuner or shop. There is no problem that I see in any of this.

Maybe some of you need an analogy. I used to be a business and turn-around consultant. In that industry, you basically apply the same tools to each job. However, the price to the customer is radically different. If you believe you can fix the problem easily and in little time with no "follow up" or "warranty" work on the back end, then the price is lower. If you know you will have a lot of face time and follow up meetings, then you price it much higher. It is the same here.

To sum it up - risk must equal reward. There is a significant risk to work on this car. As such, Powerchip internally decided that it only made sense for them if the reward was $10,000.

Like it or not, that is a totally practical and rational business decision.

Enough has been discussed on this, there is nothing more to gain. People will have their own opinions and are entitled to them. What I am not OK with is a company being bashed for making legitimate business decisions.

Robert - if you believe in another tuner, go to them. That is your choice and it sounds like almost anyone here would support you in that.

thanks
Brad
Old 10-30-2009, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Founder

Originally Posted by transferred

it was not deleted it was merged as he started the same exact thread in two forums, and this is the proper forum.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Founder

Originally Posted by jturkel
yah....less traffic = less attention......this is absolute CRAP
Posts like this are what are "CRAP"

there are rules on this site, and if you don't like them - DON'T VISIT THIS SITE.

Starting the SAME thread in multiple forums is not allowed (not on this forum or any that I know of). This discussion has NOTHING to do with the w211, now does it?

This is the proper forum for it.

If you don't agree, maybe you want to step up and try moderating the forums? Or maybe you just want to hurl insults and accusations without having the facts? So which is it? You can PM the answer to me as I am now closing this thread.