C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Current Diamond Audio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'02 C32 AMG, '04 SC430
Current Diamond Audio

I'm planning to do a full audio system upgrade on my 02' C32 audio system. The other posts on here have been a tremendous help with information on what I needed to get for this project as far as wiring goes.

I wanted to ask what your experience with the Diamond Audio D6 Component speakers are like. I've searched and read posts from 2006 but wanted a more recent picture of what they're like now. Been to their website and they state that they don't sell any of their products online yet I see some on e-bay for more than 50% off of what they're asking for them from their authorized dealers. If anyone has bought the ones off of e-bay, please chime in. I'm on the fence whether to go with those, MB Quart, or Infinity Kappas.

For those curious as to what pieces I've gotten for this little project minus the door speakers part, as I'm undecided.

Kenwood DNX9140
Kenwood Excelon X1200M

Both of these from a previous car I sold.
Infinity 7541a
2 Infinity Reference 1252w subs
Old 12-13-2009, 12:37 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

There's better stuff than that go all focal with better amps. I wouldn't buy any speakers other than focals after having them in my 911.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Thumbs up

I use Diamond audio D6 I believe and can say they are very good with digital music even cleaner with actual audio CDs but above excellent playing even DivX movies they play crisps and every sound in movies are captured. I bought them and my Kenwood headunit and amp also Pioneer sub thru Ebay using 2/3 vendors with at or above 5000 ranking..I even negotiated with Ebay vendor a package deal so I can get HU and needed accessories at a lower cost. The Focal are great but at a cost I personally think that Diamond audio does an exceptional job at a lower cost read my thread link in my sig
Old 12-13-2009, 10:21 PM

'02 C32 AMG, '04 SC430
I took a look at the focal stuff and yes they are a bit more pricey. I doubt my ears could really tell that much of a difference. I think i'm going to go ahead with a pair of d6s up front and leave the rear as they are. My only concern now is with the added draw on the battery with 2 amps running. I forgot to list that I also do have a 2 farad cap to throw into the build. Wondering now if I should add a second battery to the setup as to not put that much of a strain on the electrical system in the car. I've never really set up a system that puts out more than a 1k strain on the system. Planning on running a 4awg wire to a distro block in the trunk and split off from that to the amps. Any of you that have that can throw some advice my way with this setup would be appreciated.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
You could always have your alternator beefed up to handle the power draw.

What are you going to be using for subs, amps, and head unit? How about install.

If you don't have the subs yet, I would recommend getting some shallow mount subs in order to save weight, trunk space, and it's much easier to remove.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
the battery should be fine. i'm running two amps, one sub, hids, a car computer all on the oem spec battery without any problems.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
the battery should be fine. i'm running two amps, one sub, hids, a car computer all on the oem spec battery without any problems.
I was thinking the same. I never had a problem with my 202 and I was running close running 1200+ watts. I would imagine the same should go for the 203.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:05 PM

'02 C32 AMG, '04 SC430
Originally Posted by loudandheard
You could always have your alternator beefed up to handle the power draw.

What are you going to be using for subs, amps, and head unit? How about install.

If you don't have the subs yet, I would recommend getting some shallow mount subs in order to save weight, trunk space, and it's much easier to remove.
I'll be installing these myself as every installer in the Houston area seems to want to charge me a grand + to do it. Already have everything in place except for the D6 components. Still need to order them.
Kenwood Excelon 9140 for the head unit.
I've got 2 Infinity Reference 1252w subs rated for 1200 rms peak. Got a Kenwood Excelon X1200M amp to push them. Amp is rated for 1200rms.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Originally Posted by influx
I'll be installing these myself as every installer in the Houston area seems to want to charge me a grand + to do it. Already have everything in place except for the D6 components. Still need to order them.
Kenwood Excelon 9140 for the head unit.
I've got 2 Infinity Reference 1252w subs rated for 1200 rms peak. Got a Kenwood Excelon X1200M amp to push them. Amp is rated for 1200rms.
I'm in Houston as well, so I know what you are talking about. I had every thing professionally installed on my first vehicle, but when I learned how simple it is and how professionals really treat your car, I began doing it myself.

I want as much room as possible in my trunk, little to no weight being added, and easy removal. I planning on purchasing shallow mount subs and building the box myself and I am going to use the spare tire compartment to place my amps.

Do you plan on using the internal amplifier of the head unit to power the components? I would recommend getting another amplifier, the sound is so much clearer than what comes out of the head unit.

I'm going to be using my old school Eclipse 55090 connected to a digital sound processor, I have an eclipse amp for the cabin speakers, and a mb quart amp for the subs. This unit is actually a dvd player and will allow me to have dolby digital 5.1 surround sound in my car, but I'm still debating about putting a separate screen in the car. I may just have one that will mount to the windshield when I want to use it and then just take it down when I'm not.

I still need the buy the subs, but I was thinking of getting memphis shallow mount subs. They require less than a cubic foot box to work and will take up almost no space at all.

I wanted to go with 6.5 components in the front, but I have a good pair of 5.25 mb quart q series that will work as well. As for the rear speakers, I'll probably uses a 5.25 mb quart set that I have as well. I'll just make some baffles out of wood to make them fit in to the doors.

I'm excited to get started, but I'm still waiting on a couple of things to get all of this done.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:42 PM

'02 C32 AMG, '04 SC430
Originally Posted by loudandheard
I'm in Houston as well, so I know what you are talking about. I had every thing professionally installed on my first vehicle, but when I learned how simple it is and how professionals really treat your car, I began doing it myself.

I want as much room as possible in my trunk, little to no weight being added, and easy removal. I planning on purchasing shallow mount subs and building the box myself and I am going to use the spare tire compartment to place my amps.

Do you plan on using the internal amplifier of the head unit to power the components? I would recommend getting another amplifier, the sound is so much clearer than what comes out of the head unit.

I'm going to be using my old school Eclipse 55090 connected to a digital sound processor, I have an eclipse amp for the cabin speakers, and a mb quart amp for the subs. This unit is actually a dvd player and will allow me to have dolby digital 5.1 surround sound in my car, but I'm still debating about putting a separate screen in the car. I may just have one that will mount to the windshield when I want to use it and then just take it down when I'm not.

I still need the buy the subs, but I was thinking of getting memphis shallow mount subs. They require less than a cubic foot box to work and will take up almost no space at all.

I wanted to go with 6.5 components in the front, but I have a good pair of 5.25 mb quart q series that will work as well. As for the rear speakers, I'll probably uses a 5.25 mb quart set that I have as well. I'll just make some baffles out of wood to make them fit in to the doors.

I'm excited to get started, but I'm still waiting on a couple of things to get all of this done.
I have a separate amp to power to the door speakers. Infinity 7541a AB amp 2ohm stable. Just going to run the front and rear RCAs to the amp in the trunk then splice into the harness there in the trunk to the door speakers or maybe fabricate my own plug to match that harness back there.

I had a hard time finding a mechanic I can trust in the area. Still haven't really found one either. Replaced my pulley bearing just a couple weeks ago and every shop I went to told me I had a bad supercharger. Buddy of mine at a dealership hooked me up with a machine shop to push and pull the bearing out for me after I took the pulley off the supercharger.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
I have a separate amp to power to the door speakers. Infinity 7541a AB amp 2ohm stable. Just going to run the front and rear RCAs to the amp in the trunk then splice into the harness there in the trunk to the door speakers or maybe fabricate my own plug to match that harness back there.

I had a hard time finding a mechanic I can trust in the area. Still haven't really found one either. Replaced my pulley bearing just a couple weeks ago and every shop I went to told me I had a bad supercharger. Buddy of mine at a dealership hooked me up with a machine shop to push and pull the bearing out for me after I took the pulley off the supercharger.
That's why I do all my work myself. I did mess up my pulley when I was doing the bearing change. I was out of a car for almost a month. I didn't have torx e11 and could find it any where. I had already taken off the guide pulley and belt and there was no way to get it back on with out t loosening the tension on the pulleys. I finally got the socket and I got the pulley out. I bought a small press to remove the bearing. Well, I had no idea that the pulley had a retainer clip for the bearing. I bent the pulley and had to wait to get a new one, luckily I found one on the forum and finally got it all taken care of.

I've done the oil changes myself, plugs and wires, pulley, led turn signal replacement, hood shock replacement, grill, and cps replacement. I think next on the list is to install my h&r lowering springs and the sound system.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:11 AM

'02 C32 AMG, '04 SC430
Can't wait till I get back home from work so I can start this up. Just a few more days out of state for work...
Old 12-14-2009, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Can't wait till I get back home from work so I can start this up. Just a few more days out of state for work...
Good luck! If you need any help, I'd be happy to assist.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W203 C230SS
My only gripe about Diamond as well as Focal are their tweets. Both have always seemed pretty harsh to me. Of the two you mentioned- I prefer the bass of the Focals, but the midrange of the Diamonds. However- the install can make or break any speaker. I can make a property installed low end speaker sound worlds better than a high end speaker that was just dropped in place of a factory speaker (amped or not). The prep of the door/speaker area as well as the tuning is what really makes a speaker sound good.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:25 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
CLS55
Good call on the infinity reference sub...I have a single in my GTP and many have been very impressed with how well it sounds and it hits much harder than I expected (at first I stayed away from infinity). I have it couple with JL 6x9s in back and JL 5inch door speakers running on a 700w 5ch kicker amp (HD head unit). Doesn't sound like much but when you're in the car hearing it, I've had even die hard audiophiles insist I paid 2x what I did actually pay (installed myself of course..very seldom does anyone touch one of my cars). Crystal clear, shakes the sh_t out my windshield, pounds my back when it really thumps...I just can't even imagine needed more (you might I dn't know) Obviously the stock C32 system just sounds muffled in comparison.

Look forward to seeing how your project goes, been meaning to do more research in that area, main concern is this is my 'fun/fast' car and adding weight to this one is not something I like the prospect of. I want to see all the speaker dimensions..for some reason I though I read this car has 12 speakers...true? If so, hell get rid of 8 of them, save weight and get four high quality speakers for front and back with a good sub and amp (like my curent GTP setup)...of course sounds like you going more 'b*lls t the wall' with your setup.

Just FYI - not sure if JL makes compatible sizes...if so check them out, excellent quality, great sound...nothing I found back then compared.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:44 AM

'02 C32 AMG, '04 SC430
Not really going all out on the car. I'll be tuning the system more for quality sound than just something to rattle the license plate. Which is why I have a sealed box for the subs. Still debating whether or not I should go make a custom box for them.

I just want something nice since I spend about 12 hours in the car every week for work. 6 hours to work 1 way. Oh wells, can't complain. =) I get every other week off.

If I do end up going to the tracks, I can always pull out the amps and sub box. Not like I'll be looking to race anyone while I'm out on the freeway. Besides that, I think my ride's a lil slow right now anyhow. It's all stock save for the K&N filters.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:14 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
CLS55
Yeah that's why I put in the system in my daily driver, I also sit in my car 12 hours a week, every week. I've also got it running about 300hp (stock is 240 on that car) too so its still 'reasonably' fun to drive..great for a daily driver.

My single is sealed as well...I'm actually not someone who needs the heavy hitting I described...just cool to show off now and then. I'm more of a classic rock guy when it comes ot music and that doesn't hit like most pop/rap. That said, the clarity is incredible (very crisp, no back ground noice, nicely balanced, etc)and its really allowed me to appreciate HD radio as in other cars I've been in I didn't notice too much of a difference.

If you lived closer I'd be happy to have you check it out (although I do have a son right by you being trained in the military)...that all said, I do know if you're someone who's lived this stuff a long time, then you may have an even more discerning ear than my own. I did spend a lot of time matching components, doing research, etc and have been very happy (and complimentd quite a bit).

Anyway, if you haven't already, I'll bet the regular W203 forum as a lot of info to help more so than this one..
Old 12-16-2009, 03:40 PM

'03 C32, '08 ML63
Diamond Audio should be nice stuff. Then again I'm running all Image Dynamics in mine which were supposed to be good as well. I've been less than impressed... I used CDT Audio in both of my previous cars and figured I'd try something new. I can tell you I'll be going with CDT again next time, heh.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:49 PM

'02 C32 AMG, '04 SC430
Doing the install at the moment. I'm sitting here scratching my head wondering where in the hell I'm going to drill through the firewall for the amp power cable. The radio wires in my setup doesn't seem to match either, but at least I know which one is the ground. Just need to figure out which one is the constant and which is the switched 12v lead.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Doing the install at the moment. I'm sitting here scratching my head wondering where in the hell I'm going to drill through the firewall for the amp power cable. The radio wires in my setup doesn't seem to match either, but at least I know which one is the ground. Just need to figure out which one is the constant and which is the switched 12v lead.
It seems there is a pass through by the battery underneath the dash on the passenger side of the car. You just need to get through the grommet.

As for the constant, I believe it's the yellow wire and you need to tap the cigarette lighter wire to get the switched 12v lead. I can't remember which thread I saw the info in, but here are some good threads to start with.

Check out these threads:

Best thread for all of the info you need.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...p-install.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...tructions.html

http://www.perfectmarketaudio.com/Audio10PinOuts.pdf
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...-images-2.html
Old 12-18-2009, 01:08 AM

'02 C32 AMG, '04 SC430
I saw the grommets, but my amp wire won't fit. hehe. It says 4awg but it's more like 2awg lol. I ended running it across the back of the firewall to the fuse box and ran it through a hole that was big enough on that side. Kind of worked out. I didn't want to run it the same side as my rca cables. The Infinity amp was making my speakers pop >.< dead diode or something or other on it making it feedback 12v to the speakers. Went and got an Alpine pdx4100 to push the door speakers. Got it turned all the way down for the door speakers and god they sound awesome still. Clean and crisp. Best of all.....no distortion or rattling when I have it turned up. Clean hard hitting bass accompanied with all the mids and highs. Loving my setup. =D

Edit: Oooh...for those of you getting crappy reception. It's because you're using the volvo antennae adapter. You're linking up the the ant that's not powered; the one that is powered is the smaller connector and it uses Metra 40-EU10 adapter.

Last edited by influx; 12-18-2009 at 01:15 AM.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 C230SS
with a little lube you can get 2 guage through that grommet- it worked when i did mine. also- if you have a good ground a descent set of rca cables- you can run the two on top of each other with no problems.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by bumpnzx3
with a little lube you can get 2 guage through that grommet- it worked when i did mine. also- if you have a good ground a descent set of rca cables- you can run the two on top of each other with no problems.

Yeah, I got it through with the help of some dish soap. Also, with the cap, you should have no problem with the battery or alternator.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:26 AM

'02 C32 AMG, '04 SC430
Maybe I was looking at the wrong grommet. The one I saw was barely big enough for an 8 awg. Neither here nor there, I'm done with the install and loving the setup. =D Going to hold off on replacing the door speakers since they're pretty awesome right now with a clean AB amp powering them. It's back to the drawing board with my fm reception. Seems hit and miss with it. Sometimes I'll get really good reception and sometimes I won't. Seems like the power antennae only goes on when it wants to. >.< back to more troubleshooting. Thank goodness my 250gb hard drive works with the headunit. hehe
Old 12-19-2009, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Maybe I was looking at the wrong grommet. The one I saw was barely big enough for an 8 awg. Neither here nor there, I'm done with the install and loving the setup. =D Going to hold off on replacing the door speakers since they're pretty awesome right now with a clean AB amp powering them. It's back to the drawing board with my fm reception. Seems hit and miss with it. Sometimes I'll get really good reception and sometimes I won't. Seems like the power antennae only goes on when it wants to. >.< back to more troubleshooting. Thank goodness my 250gb hard drive works with the headunit. hehe
You didn't have any problems with the ohms that the speakers were running at? For some reason I was thinking that it would give the amp a hard time to run.

Clue me in on this. I have yet to begin, I have about every thing I'm going to need. How long did it take you?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Current Diamond Audio