C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

HALP! My pullies are growling at me!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 12:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
was 1999 C230K then 2003 C32 AMG NOW 2016 AMG GLE63
HALP! My pullies are growling at me!

Sorry to be such a noob, but I have a problem. I just rolled 90k on my 03 C32and I just noticed a growl from the engine at idle the other day, that increased with RPM. Upon taking it to the shop, I was informed I needed #'s 4, 6 and 9 [from the diagram on this thread https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...ns-thread.html ]

Please correct me if I am wrong, but can I buy the needswings pulleysaver kit http://www.needswings.com/Pulley-Sav...psk178181.aspx and replace the stock parts with this kit WITHOUT having a different size pulley installed?
Also, if I do HAVE to do a Pulley at the same time, is this a decent deal:
http://www.needswings.com/ASP-178mm-...178PSK178.aspx
Old 03-25-2010, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
i know i'm being lazy, but could you post the link to the diagram of all the pulleys.....and then i can tell you if it will work for you.

also, are you stock?
Old 03-25-2010, 01:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0 LS2 - Blue
The pulley saver kit will replace 4 & 9 with new pulleys, and will relocate 6 with a larger pulley. 178MM w/ PSK for $1,000 is a good deal. If you're looking for the most power you can get the 185MM Eurocharged pulley, and tune for $1,100 I think was the price in their recent thread, and the PSK for an additional $150, or so... Eurocharged does also offer the 178MM pulley, and has there combo special going, or at least they did. That extra $300 or so dollars will get you 22PSI of boost (stock 14.5PSI) whereas 178MM will get you around 17.5PSI, and it also doesn't include a tune. Something to think about... The 185MM is kind of pushing the limits, so if you're looking for more proven reliability the 178MM is a great choice. Needswings did recently make a pulley saver kit for the code 3 pulley which should also work on stock crank/supercharger pulley setup. It's not listed, so contact them for more information if you're interested.

Last edited by gt4awd; 03-25-2010 at 02:04 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by jturkel
i know i'm being lazy, but could you post the link to the diagram of all the pulleys.....and then i can tell you if it will work for you.

also, are you stock?
Dude, I DID post the link [but I couldn't figure out how to directly post the pic because in the how-to thread it's an attachment]

I am bone stock now.

GT4:
So, if I get the PSK for the code 3 pulley, it will work for stock too? Basically where I would like to end up is with the PSK now and the ability to run a better performance pulley down the road with maybe a different belt, but using the same PSK. Is that possible?
Old 03-25-2010, 09:01 AM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by barrysuperhawk
Dude, I DID post the link [but I couldn't figure out how to directly post the pic because in the how-to thread it's an attachment]

I am bone stock now.

GT4:
So, if I get the PSK for the code 3 pulley, it will work for stock too? Basically where I would like to end up is with the PSK now and the ability to run a better performance pulley down the road with maybe a different belt, but using the same PSK. Is that possible?
The Needswings Code 3 PSK should work fine for you. The difference is only millimeters. It's not listed on the site, but if you contact Rob @ Needswings, he'll make one up for you. I just did the same thing. It cost the same as the other PSK's $170.00. Mine's in the mail already.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by 02C32guy
The Needswings Code 3 PSK should work fine for you. The difference is only millimeters. It's not listed on the site, but if you contact Rob @ Needswings, he'll make one up for you. I just did the same thing. It cost the same as the other PSK's $170.00. Mine's in the mail already.
Great, that's what I am going to do. Is it safe to assume that this limits me to a Code 3 SC pulley if and when I decide to do that upgrade?

Also, is this a driveway job [with proper tools] or should I take it to the shop?
Old 03-25-2010, 12:43 PM

Reply from the horses mouth:

------ Original Message ------
Received: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 11:49:22 PM CDT
To: "barrysuperhawk"

Subject: RE: NeedsWings Inquiry ::Barry - General Contact Form Submission

Hello, we have found the appropriate belt length to use our psk kit with a code3 pulley (and stock crank pulley) which is slightly smaller than stock so I would guess it would still be a good length on the stock pulley. You would need to install the kit and make sure the belt tensioner rests in the middle of its travel but I think we have good odds. If we need a longer or shorter belt you can contact me and I can get another belt out but I don’t think that would be necessary. So this has not been tested yet but I think it would work. Let me know if you want to give it a shot.

Thanks, Rob

NeedsWings.com
Sooo, I think this is a good Idea and will be sending my order in. I only have to decise if this is a driveway job or not...

Trending Topics

Old 03-25-2010, 12:51 PM

2005 E55
Great, that's what I am going to do. Is it safe to assume that this limits me to a Code 3 SC pulley if and when I decide to do that upgrade?

Also, is this a driveway job [with proper tools] or should I take it to the shop?
Yeah, the install is no sweat. They'll send you instructions with pictures with exactly what you'll need to do. As for whether this limits you to a code 3 later on, you should probably ask Rob. I'm not sure if you would only need a longer belt with the a larger crank pulley or if they actually give different sized pulleys to help compensate. Rob we'll know for sure.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0 LS2 - Blue
I'm not sure if you would only need a longer belt with the a larger crank pulley or if they actually give different sized pulleys to help compensate.
Longer belt would be the only difference I assume.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:11 PM

Sorry for the LATE update, but here it is:
I installed the kit Rob sent me and it was rediculusly easy, EXCEPT that the belt is TIIIIIGHT. and I managed to break the head off of that E whatever the heck it is bolt before I found the 17mm bolt behind it. [yes, I was using e-sockets] Apparently the exact proper belt length does not exist, so the choice is either too tight or too loose. I went with tight [always a good choice] and had 2 friends to help install the belt.

There are 2 rubber [air?] hoses on the passenger side that I had to ziptie up out of the way, but that wasn't a big deal, it was more just insurance.

I am at the very inner edge of the tensioner's adjustment range, but from previous experience with belt tensioners on other motors, I don't really think this is a bad thing, and if I ever get a code 3 pulley, I will be set.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:54 PM

2005 E55
I installed the kit Rob sent me and it was rediculusly easy, EXCEPT that the belt is TIIIIIGHT. and I managed to break the head off of that E whatever the heck it is bolt before I found the 17mm bolt behind it. [yes, I was using e-sockets] Apparently the exact proper belt length does not exist, so the choice is either too tight or too loose. I went with tight [always a good choice] and had 2 friends to help install the belt.

There are 2 rubber [air?] hoses on the passenger side that I had to ziptie up out of the way, but that wasn't a big deal, it was more just insurance.

I am at the very inner edge of the tensioner's adjustment range, but from previous experience with belt tensioners on other motors, I don't really think this is a bad thing, and if I ever get a code 3 pulley, I will be set.
Yeah, with the code 3 my tensioner is in the perfect place. Those tubes you tied off are the water tubes for the intercooler.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG

Yeah, my belt is super tight with the NW pulley saver kit. My tensioner pulley is pulled almost all the way to the left. I wonder if I had a slightly bigger belt if it would make a difference, the car runs fine, but it was pain in the *** to install.

When I was doing my power steering job, the tensioner star bolt looked like it was on the verge to go, I'm going to see if I can have it replaced. You would think that the bolt would be stronger. If I remember correctly, the socket needed is an e11.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by loudandheard
Yeah, my belt is super tight with the NW pulley saver kit. My tensioner pulley is pulled almost all the way to the left. I wonder if I had a slightly bigger belt if it would make a difference, the car runs fine, but it was pain in the *** to install.

When I was doing my power steering job, the tensioner star bolt looked like it was on the verge to go, I'm going to see if I can have it replaced. You would think that the bolt would be stronger. If I remember correctly, the socket needed is an e11.
The problem is, the next size larger belt is TOO big unless you go with one with less ribs, which seemed counter productive given this drives the S/C and probably needs all the ribs for durability..
Old 07-21-2010, 01:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
The problem is, the next size larger belt is TOO big unless you go with one with less ribs, which seemed counter productive given this drives the S/C and probably needs all the ribs for durability..
Makes sense, but my idler pulley seems like it's all the way up. It really moved quite a bit with the addition of the psk.