so...whats there to do in Utah?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C55
so...whats there to do in Utah?

I'm here for two weeks for some training and so far this place reminds me of eastern washington without any minorities. Kind of weirds me out.

So anyone know whats there to do around here? I'm about 20 minutes south of SLC.

BTW the beer here is HORRID
Old 08-04-2010, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
I would thought all of Utah is considered "Dry"
Should brought some of that Mt Rainer stuff with you
Old 08-04-2010, 02:39 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
2017 GLS 550
It sure ain't no Olympia!
There really isn't alot to do... I think everything closes at like 9:00pm
Old 08-04-2010, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
watch a lot of ****? haha jk...
Old 08-04-2010, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55
Originally Posted by moosejaw
I would thought all of Utah is considered "Dry"
Should brought some of that Mt Rainer stuff with you
I guess they recently changed it so you don't need a membership to drink at bars but some places still require you to order food before you can drink.

Also, beer is regulated to 3%. I can get regular stuff here at the p/x but its labeled as "strong" lol.

When have you ever seen bud light as "strong"
Old 08-04-2010, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
i always thought bud light was a chaser?
Old 08-04-2010, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
How far are you from the state line
Similar to what happened to us at the Dragon in Deals Gap, NC.
Couldn't buy a beer until you crossed over into Tennessee
Old 08-04-2010, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32, 911 SC
There's nothing to do here except if you're into outdoor stuff. Hiking is wonderful for the summer and the canyons are at least 10 degrees cooler!

Besides that, nightlife is minimal and everyone's mormon

SLC is pretty diverse, but if you're 20 minutes south of SLC, then there's minimal to no diversity.

I've been here for eight years and beginning to like it to a degree I guess...
Old 08-04-2010, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55
Originally Posted by ddtham
There's nothing to do here except if you're into outdoor stuff. Hiking is wonderful for the summer and the canyons are at least 10 degrees cooler!

Besides that, nightlife is minimal and everyone's mormon

SLC is pretty diverse, but if you're 20 minutes south of SLC, then there's minimal to no diversity.

I've been here for eight years and beginning to like it to a degree I guess...

I do love outdoor stuff and would definitely like to go visit the parks sometime but alas, I'm here for work related training. Once I finish up my certificate this friday I'll make my way up to SLC and see what it holds in store. I thought flights to vegas would be pretty cheap from here but round trip on short notice was almost 400 bucks! Jeeze...
Old 08-05-2010, 07:45 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Meet a chick over milk with an oj chaser
Marry said girl
Have 5-10 kids
Repeat
Old 08-05-2010, 11:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB
Make kids I saw some deal on TV where this dude fathered some 18 kids with multiple wives! I can barely handle one I couldn't imagine 3+
Old 08-05-2010, 12:25 PM

C32, 911 SC
Originally Posted by RLx02
I do love outdoor stuff and would definitely like to go visit the parks sometime but alas, I'm here for work related training. Once I finish up my certificate this friday I'll make my way up to SLC and see what it holds in store. I thought flights to vegas would be pretty cheap from here but round trip on short notice was almost 400 bucks! Jeeze...
If you're into Mexican food, give Red Iguana on 850 West North Temple a shot. Be prepared to wait for 45-60 minutes though as the line's ridiculous for Utah! I usually go there at 11 for lunch or 4:30 for dinner just to avoid the wait.

You can always check out the Mormon Temple (some people called it the mothership) They have nice spots to take pictures of. I went there once when I first came here and the greeter started talking to me. I told her "me no speak English," and she asked me where I am from. I told her "Indonesia" and they actually have Indonesian translators there! "Amazing" I thought! Back then I did not know that they have missionaries from all over the world
Old 08-05-2010, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55
If you're into Mexican food, give Red Iguana on 850 West North Temple a shot. Be prepared to wait for 45-60 minutes though as the line's ridiculous for Utah! I usually go there at 11 for lunch or 4:30 for dinner just to avoid the wait.

You can always check out the Mormon Temple (some people called it the mothership) They have nice spots to take pictures of. I went there once when I first came here and the greeter started talking to me. I told her "me no speak English," and she asked me where I am from. I told her "Indonesia" and they actually have Indonesian translators there! "Amazing" I thought! Back then I did not know that they have missionaries from all over the world
Yeah I plan on visiting the temple but I'll make sure not to use a fake accents...I can do a pretty good Viet, Cantonese and Korean accent if I wanted to though lol.

What about bars or night life? I was told of a couple like lumpys and sky lounge were supposed to be good...man I miss home already lol.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:36 PM

SRT-4
I lived in rural Utah all my life, so the Salt Lake valley is pretty unknown to me, but there are a few places that stick out in my mind. Bar wise there's: Club Vegas, In The Venue, The Abyss, and DV8, though I think DV8 is called something else now. Miller Motorsports Park is 15 minutes west of the airport in Tooele. Rocky Mountain Raceway in West Valley. Timpanogos Caves trail in American Fork and The Krishna Temple in Spanish Fork which sounds like it might be close to you since you're 20 minutes south of the SLC. Might as well try some Utah food with that %3.2 beer. The Training Table has some good stuff. Artic Circle is a Utah fast food joint. The Gateway Mall in downtown has some good shops and food. And Lagoon, the local amusement park, is an hour north of SLC while Provo has Seven Peaks water park and Salt Lake has Raging Waters water park. Hope thats an ok list? Don't forget to try some fry sauce!

edit: i almost forgot, utah county doesnt sell beer after 1 am and the liquor stores close at 7!

Last edited by press; 08-05-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:35 PM

C32, 911 SC
Yeah I plan on visiting the temple but I'll make sure not to use a fake accents...I can do a pretty good Viet, Cantonese and Korean accent if I wanted to though lol.

What about bars or night life? I was told of a couple like lumpys and sky lounge were supposed to be good...man I miss home already lol.
Hahaha. I am sure you'll blend right in with the tourists, etc!

The Bayou (between 6th South and 7th South on State Street) is kinda nice. Also try the newly opened Epic Brewery if you're into beer (between 8th South and 9th Sth on State St).

In terms of clubbing, maybe Club Hotel (between 2nd West and 3rd West on 200 south). I am not sure about clubbing though, because I havent been in years due to max level of lameness here... Hahaha. These days I would rather read at B&N or do yoga.

Just to add to what press said, all stores don't sell alcohol past 1:00 AM and the downtown Liquor store opens until 10 pm at the latest.

On the other hand, you just don't see AMGs here. I think I can count with my fingers on how many AMGs I've seen so far in Utah. Chazz who's pretty active in our forum (C32/C55) is up north I think and then of course there's Jakpro1 with the monster E55. Maybe we should have a mini-meet.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
where's this Utah you speak of?
Old 08-05-2010, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 E430
I thought flights to vegas would be pretty cheap from here but round trip on short notice was almost 400 bucks! Jeeze...
Wendover has gambling and the drive from SLC to Wendover is right through the Bonneville salt flats. Long, flat, and straight as any road you will find. Or if you are stuck in SLC maybe PM Jakpro1 and see if he'll show you that beast of an E55 he has??
Old 08-05-2010, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55
Hahaha. I am sure you'll blend right in with the tourists, etc!

The Bayou (between 6th South and 7th South on State Street) is kinda nice. Also try the newly opened Epic Brewery if you're into beer (between 8th South and 9th Sth on State St).

In terms of clubbing, maybe Club Hotel (between 2nd West and 3rd West on 200 south). I am not sure about clubbing though, because I havent been in years due to max level of lameness here... Hahaha. These days I would rather read at B&N or do yoga.

Just to add to what press said, all stores don't sell alcohol past 1:00 AM and the downtown Liquor store opens until 10 pm at the latest.

On the other hand, you just don't see AMGs here. I think I can count with my fingers on how many AMGs I've seen so far in Utah. Chazz who's pretty active in our forum (C32/C55) is up north I think and then of course there's Jakpro1 with the monster E55. Maybe we should have a mini-meet.
All right, I'll definitely keep those in mind. I'm gonna have a rental car with a friend/co-worker so won't be sporting the c55

I do love beer but if its anything like the 3.2% stuff I've had here so far...no thanks lol. I'll stick to the full percentage stuff I can get here at the px.

Tomorrow is my test day and off to SLC I go!
Old 08-06-2010, 04:08 PM

C32, 911 SC
All right, I'll definitely keep those in mind. I'm gonna have a rental car with a friend/co-worker so won't be sporting the c55

I do love beer but if its anything like the 3.2% stuff I've had here so far...no thanks lol. I'll stick to the full percentage stuff I can get here at the px.

Tomorrow is my test day and off to SLC I go!
Good luck with the test, man! Make sure you enjoy your visit here too!

Just to clarify, the beer at the bars are regular beer. So, you should be good there!

Too bad you're not bringing the 55! I would love to check out the beast. I am actually having a dyno session today down south after installing 185 and Jerry tune from EC. I hope I can hit 340 WHP on that dynojet.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55
Good luck with the test, man! Make sure you enjoy your visit here too!

Just to clarify, the beer at the bars are regular beer. So, you should be good there!

Too bad you're not bringing the 55! I would love to check out the beast. I am actually having a dyno session today down south after installing 185 and Jerry tune from EC. I hope I can hit 340 WHP on that dynojet.

I saw a slk55 down at riverton on my way back from in-n-out actually (we don't have any in-n-outs up in washington). Other than that, I rarely see any mercs. Mainly lifted ford f350's

the beer I had at a wings place suuucked and it was an amber ale too. I guess at restaurants they only serve the 3.2% kind.

Alright, time to head off to the city and go hit on mormon girls.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
His mama. Traded y0 mama in because she was squeaking.
Skyy Lounge is actually a nice joint. Make sure you try the egg rolls. Lots of hotties there on Friday and Saturday nights.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:09 PM

02 C32
I was stationed in Utah for four years. We went to Park City every weekend we got bored (just east of SLC over the mountains - take 80 to the Park City exit). Many good bars, a smattering of good clubs, lots of good restaurants, many excellent art galleries, all the ski resorts have summertime stuff to do (ziplines, alpine slides, mountain biking). Get a room somewhere there cause it's too far to drive back if you stay late. Dress nice to get in the nicer clubs. Within a few minutes of arriving you'll forget you're in Utah. It's also the only place in Utah we regularly saw AMGs (and numerous high-end marques). Don't buy anything as it's all WAY overpriced to take advantage of the many Californiots who vacation there (there is a 'locals' price for most everything if you live there).
Old 08-06-2010, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55
So the bayou was good and I had a hot waitress with fake **** but its a little early...gonna hit up the sky lounge and gracies later. The mormon mother ship was...interesting lol