Custom Intercooler System - Interested?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0 LS2 - Blue
Custom Intercooler System - Interested?

I'm in the process of working with a company to create a custom intercooling system for our C32's. I'm willing to devote my free time, which I do not have much of, to do all the research, development, and even provide dyno results. However, in order to complete this project I will need at least eight members willing or interested in buying the finished product.

The price will likely be around $800-$1000. This includes pump, heat exchanger, intercooler, reservoir, piping, etc... A full kit. The company has a heat exchanger which I believe will work perfect. The product is specifically designed for water to air, and used in many race applications. If you already have a Eurocharged or other the kit can be purchased without for less.

My plan is to locate a second intercooler in the battery bay away from all the heated engine bay temperatures. The stock intercooler will still be utilized to cool the charge air first, which will then move on to the second larger, and more efficient intercooler, and back to the throttle body. A battery relocation to the trunk would be required. The reservoir will likely be located in the truck spare tire well too if there isn't room after placement of the intercooler.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
So this would get rid of the intercooler underneath the supercharger?
Old 10-07-2010, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The stock intercooler will still be utilized to cool the charge air first, which will then move on to the second larger, and more efficient intercooler, and back to the throttle body.
I've heard that our IAT still averages around 140C even with Eurocharged heat exchanger. A second more efficient intercooler should substantially lower the charge air.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by gt4awd
I'm in the process of working with a company to create a custom intercooling system for our C32's. I'm willing to devote my free time, which I do not have much of, to do all the research, development, and even provide dyno results. However, in order to complete this project I will need at least eight members willing or interested in buying the finished product.

The price will likely be around $800-$1000. This includes pump, heat exchanger, intercooler, reservoir, piping, etc... A full kit. The company has a heat exchanger which I believe will work perfect. The product is specifically designed for water to air, and used in many race applications. If you already have a Eurocharged or other the kit can be purchased without for less.

My plan is to locate a second intercooler in the battery bay away from all the heated engine bay temperatures. The stock intercooler will still be utilized to cool the charge air first, which will then move on to the second larger, and more efficient intercooler, and back to the throttle body. A battery relocation to the trunk would be required. The reservoir will likely be located in the truck spare tire well too if there isn't room after placement of the intercooler.
so for clarification, we keep the stock intercooler, but add an accessory intercooler (which will become the primary) somewhere else (apparently near the battery). also have a reservoir tank in the trunk where the battery would also have to be relocated to.

so then at this point, what is the purpose of retaining the stock intercooler? to just "help" a little with the new one that would be added? i mean, temps will still be hot in there b/c of it's placement, but i'm willing to bet with a supplemental IC, they won't get as hot. it'll just start cooling the stock one and get even colder int he aftermarket one.

....as far as a pump, i would imagine we might even need a higher flowing pump b/c of probably a decently sizable increase in volume? i mean...1) additional I/C , reservoir in trunk....piping, that's all gotta add some decent volume

but as far as if i would be interested or down? yes. you show me some gains, i'm down.

just as a side, i feel that most that would be down already have a heat exchanger and/or aftermarket pump (that i do NOT have lol....still staying stock b/c i dont trust the CM30/johnson....i heard from somewhere that it flows too much for our current setup, causes backup at the intercooler, and then leakage)

do you think a) there would be a benefit of adding an additional H/E if b) we could fit another one somewhere (can we?)

I've heard that our IAT still averages around 140C even with Eurocharged heat exchanger. A second more efficient intercooler should substantially lower the charge air.
so i monitor my IATs. granted i have a 185 and i drive hard, temps are still not "cool" per say. driving 90-100 degrees outside, it'll easily be 130s. i can say that at the drag strip, finishing off the 1/4, i've seen temps north of 160 or 170 (i think?...i dont recall).

Last edited by jturkel; 10-07-2010 at 01:31 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
wouldn't it make more sense just to make a custom top mounted slr style intercooler like the e55 guys. Just integrated the top mounted intercoolers into the intake manifolds.

like this

Old 10-07-2010, 08:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2002 C32 AMG, 2013 GLK 350/4, 2015 E63S AMG Wagon
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
wouldn't it make more sense just to make a custom top mounted slr style intercooler like the e55 guys. Just integrated the top mounted intercoolers into the intake manifolds.
That's the only design I'll be interested in. With Laminova cores.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:05 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
IAT i hope you meant 140 "F" lol... and i only hit 140F in 110F degree weather last week. usually my IAT is about 30 degree F higher than outside temp. I think it's still high, but I'm not sure if it's only my car. 70-80 degree weather my IAT sticks around 104-114 on normal driving.

I've also notice if the humidity is higher the intake temp actually drops for some reason.

as for the slr style i/c ... i can see too much hassle when replacing the spark plugs and wires.

Last edited by FrankW; 10-07-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:11 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
a car.
Am I the only one who feels you shouldn't completely toss out the idea of a nice looking engine bay just to get a little more performance?
Old 10-07-2010, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2002 C32 AMG, 2013 GLK 350/4, 2015 E63S AMG Wagon
Originally Posted by chris.bachman
Am I the only one who feels you shouldn't completely toss out the idea of a nice looking engine bay just to get a little more performance?
I'm fine with the performance of my old car. Last time at Atco it ran 1/4 mile in 12.5 secs. There are very few cars faster than that and two of them were shop cars. I'm looking for reliability. I have already replced one IC. In addition, the placement and the design of our current IC can be greatly improved. A top mounted IC will be less prone to the heat soak and a Laminova cores are a lot more efficient than the conventional cores.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
Originally Posted by chris.bachman
How often do you have your engine bay open? The exterior will always look nice and what's to say that you can't make top mounted intercoolers that would look good. I think to people that appreciate the engineering would admire the work that went in to it as opposed to the look, but like I said, if we can create some thing functional, why can't we make it look good as well.

While I think the idea for cooling is good, I think this could be accomplished more efficiently and increase performance by doing top mounted intercoolers. When I have some time, I'll post the research that I have been gathering about the top mounted intercoolers. Essentially it integrates the manifold with the intercooler and so it creates more air and does not sandwich the intercooler between the engine and supercharger, making it more efficient.

I think if you want to cool a bit more, I would look into water/meth injection to cool the air after the intercooler. I think that would be cheaper and allow you to cool when you want to.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volvo
I have to go with TemjinX2 on this one, I think it will be to inefficient by running pipes all over the place. I think the best way for another Intercooler (keep in mind i have the last code 3 intercooler for the s/c made) would be modding the one thats down there or, doing the SLR top mount. Vadim who use to have a C32 did this, and did it well. This route would be the cheapest and probley most efficient route to take.

Last edited by OverDrive; 10-07-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
someone make a better intercooler system that makes power and i'll want it.

clean is nice, functional is better. if we do a top mount through the intake manifolds, maybe we could makes those a bit bigger too....
Old 10-07-2010, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by Lenin
I'm fine with the performance of my old car. Last time at Atco it ran 1/4 mile in 12.5 secs. There are very few cars faster than that and two of them were shop cars. I'm looking for reliability. I have already replced one IC. In addition, the placement and the design of our current IC can be greatly improved. A top mounted IC will be less prone to the heat soak and a Laminova cores are a lot more efficient than the conventional cores.
Awesome run Lenin!!! 12.526 at 110!!! Awesome!! I do agree with you about the reliability issue versus ultimate performance.

Last edited by Newzchspy; 10-07-2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts
Cls63 & C32
In hot summer here in Lebanon (90F-95F) with my setup: 2 pumps, trunk reservoir, HE, separated cooling, i am seeing AIT between 160 and 170F with a run from 0 to 145-150 mph, and my timing drop from 20 to 14-13, the heat is a killer, the best way is a water/meth kit which take 2-3 hr to install and cost not more then 300$ and not sacrifice the engine bay, or go big hp with nitrous, which i am now installing.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 c32 AMG 2012 c250 Coupe
Have to agree with temjin and overdrive..
Old 10-07-2010, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by TemjinX2

like this

This is what I'm interested in. I've said this several times before, however, most people have said it wouldn't make that big a difference. I'm not sure if the above intercoolers have been installed and tested?

Honestly, I don't really care for the look of the ones that Vadim built, but really like the modified SLR ones.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by indyjoe
This is what I'm interested in. I've said this several times before, however, most people have said it wouldn't make that big a difference. I'm not sure if the above intercoolers have been installed and tested?

Honestly, I don't really care for the look of the ones that Vadim built, but really like the modified SLR ones.
Ironically, here's the ad right below this thread??
Bell Intercoolers
Custom Intercoolers/Cores, US Made,
Air/Air and Liquid/Air, 3000+ Sizes
bellintercoolers. com
Old 10-07-2010, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I feel the battery compartment would be best due to it being isolated from the engine bay. However, I'm not sure there's any room to run the air tubing. You guys have some good ideas. I'll do some more research, and see what I can come up with. Maybe the best way would be to replace the intake runners with individual intercoolers. Then it's still in the heated engine bay though. With enough fluid capacity it might not be an issue. Possibly just locate a reservoir in the battery bay. With a shrunken battery you should be able to keep both in there. Please continue to provide comments and suggestions. Thanks!
Old 10-07-2010, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another solution I would like to work on is a liquid cooler for the intercooling system. It would be permanent, and maintenance free. Recently someone posted a system that utilizes the A/C compressor. We know the A/C cuts out during WOT though, and also takes some power to run. Looking to rig up a fridge compressor or something to run on DC current. Having troubles finding a suitable compressor...
Old 10-07-2010, 07:33 PM

C32, 911 SC
I am in for SLR-style IC, or any IC which is an improvement over stock. Good luck and keep us updated.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:52 AM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
I personally would't spend more money on something like this. We had a few people try putting additional HE's in and stuff and it actually caused more harm then good.

If you want more power look at the CF board......Colin posted up what he had done to his car, and strangley enought was the same stuff I had on mine when I broke into the 11's. (then again we built it so not so surprising whats on the car)
Old 10-08-2010, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by loungn14
....when I broke into the 11's.
OT, Jake - you really should take the time to upload that run's data into dragtimes. Right now, dragtimes shows the quickest your C32 ever went was 12.33 (with nitrous? doesn't specify... but the 115 trap speed seems like it probably was).

In any event, it would literally be the only timeslip in the 11's for a C32 - a shame for it not to be documented (IMHO).
Old 10-09-2010, 08:54 AM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
OT, Jake - you really should take the time to upload that run's data into dragtimes. Right now, dragtimes shows the quickest your C32 ever went was 12.33 (with nitrous? doesn't specify... but the 115 trap speed seems like it probably was).

In any event, it would literally be the only timeslip in the 11's for a C32 - a shame for it not to be documented (IMHO).
I can upload it....me and Josh (jturkel) had talked about it in detail months ago when it happened. A few vendors were talking smack about breaking the record, so I held it in my back pocket ready to post it. Then sold the car and never really remembered about it. And to be honest it was on a 75 shot, so kinda cheating. The 12.3 was on a 25 shot to the throttle body....
Old 10-09-2010, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by loungn14
I can upload it....me and Josh (jturkel) had talked about it in detail months ago when it happened. A few vendors were talking smack about breaking the record, so I held it in my back pocket ready to post it. Then sold the car and never really remembered about it. And to be honest it was on a 75 shot, so kinda cheating. The 12.3 was on a 25 shot to the throttle body....
A record's a record, in my view. Worth recognizing, to be certain. And congrats, 11's was the "holy grail" for C32's. Nice job!
Old 11-16-2018, 02:33 PM

2003 C32 AMG
Unhappy C32 AMG intercooler mods/Upgrades!

If anyone knows how to make the intercooler better on these cars or if you know how to mod them so its not in the valley please let me know! I have one from speed driven but I need more!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Custom Intercooler System - Interested?