C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Intercooler pump, indie mechanic?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 01:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'03 C32 AMG
Intercooler pump, indie mechanic?

So I just got a C32 AMG, and it tends to lose power sometimes when I accelerate at speeds above 50 MPH, it barely moves, then if I just drive slow it will be fast as a bullet again a few minutes later if I try to kickdown, and it switches back and forth like this every 2-3 minutes.

After doing a few searches I suspect the intercooler pump, but even if it isn't, should I trust an indie mechanic with this? Don't wanna pay a dealership like $1000 to replace it with the same crap that's in there from before.

Oh, and I've driven like this for about 500 miles now, I hope it doesn't make matters worse. Wanna fix it asap, but sadly I couldn't be without the car this weekend.

Last edited by Apox; 02-13-2011 at 02:23 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
sounds like the IC pump. don't go to the stealership. if you aren't mechanically inclined or lack the tools, bring it to an indie shop and get the pump replaced. it is a really easy job (for them) and there is no way they would screw this up (probably shouldn't even take them more than an hr)

i'm not sure what you read in your searches, but many people replace the faulty OEM pump with an aftermarket one that has a longer life and is less prone to failure (though ultimately, they will all fail and have to get replaced). I don't recall what the OEM Bosch one costs, but IIRC, the ones that some of the guys have been putting on their cars were somewhere in the 140-180 range (if prices have shot up, my bad....i haven't needed to do this yet and dont remember lol).
Old 02-13-2011, 02:26 AM

'03 C32 AMG
Did some basic work on my previous car, but I lack tools, and have no knowledge of the MB engine bay so far.
I'll try an independent mechanic then, but seeing as the local ones aren't usually too fond of you bringing your own parts, I'll just try to make sure they order the correct ones instead.

Thanks for the quick reply
Old 02-13-2011, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 porsche 996 turbo
2 clamps 1 bolt and some solder for the plug, antifreeze. you could buy the tools cheaper than an hours labor at a shop. look inside the pass fenderwell door to the left theres the pump
Old 02-13-2011, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2002 C32 AMG, 2013 GLK 350/4, 2015 E63S AMG Wagon
You should fix it ASAP before you do damage to the intercooler core. But like others said, there is no need to take it to the dealer. You can get an OEM replacement from Rob at http://www.needswings.com/Bosch-Inte...schICpump.aspx for a direct replacement to simplify your DYI or get a Johnson CM30 pump.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:36 PM

'03 C32 AMG
Today when I took it for a spin, it didn't give almost any power at any speeds. Had a hard time acellerating from a stop. Hope it's hasn't developed into something serious like the transmission or that I need a new IC and/or supercharger. ****ing 2 days old car. This is exaclty my luck, last time I bought a car the power steering went out on the drive home.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2002 C32 AMG, 2013 GLK 350/4, 2015 E63S AMG Wagon
Originally Posted by Apox
Today when I took it for a spin, it didn't give almost any power at any speeds. Had a hard time acellerating from a stop. Hope it's hasn't developed into something serious like the transmission or that I need a new IC and/or supercharger. ****ing 2 days old car. This is exaclty my luck, last time I bought a car the power steering went out on the drive home.
You may want to invest in something like this for some basic data logging
http://cgi.ebay.com/CARCHIP-PRO-CAR-...item3f054f3826
and monitor the relationship between the IAT and MAP readings to see if its your pump or not. I may also be as simple as a fuse that runs the pump.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Lenin
You may want to invest in something like this for some basic data logging
http://cgi.ebay.com/CARCHIP-PRO-CAR-...item3f054f3826
and monitor the relationship between the IAT and MAP readings to see if its your pump or not. I may also be as simple as a fuse that runs the pump.
+1
Old 02-13-2011, 04:36 PM

C32, E93 M3
don't fret. this is exactly what happened to me after i bought my car, it was even doing it on the test drive. I changed out the pump and it fixed the issues. the car runs solid now.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:39 PM

'03 C32 AMG
Allright that's a bit comforting to hear. I know it's a common problem, just didn't expect it to happen on the drive home

Good thing it's a cheap fix and not some $4000-5000 transmission replacement.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
rev the engine to 2000 rpm then stick your hand inside the pass fenderwell door and feel the pump. if its vibrating its working if not the pump is dead and needs to be replaced
Old 02-13-2011, 06:35 PM

'03 C32 AMG
Took it for a spin right now, and everything is fine again, weird that it's so on and off. Have an appointment with the mechanic tomorrow though, wanna have this checked out asap.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by jturkel
sounds like the IC pump. don't go to the stealership. if you aren't mechanically inclined or lack the tools, bring it to an indie shop and get the pump replaced. it is a really easy job (for them) and there is no way they would screw this up (probably shouldn't even take them more than an hr)

i'm not sure what you read in your searches, but many people replace the faulty OEM pump with an aftermarket one that has a longer life and is less prone to failure (though ultimately, they will all fail and have to get replaced). I don't recall what the OEM Bosch one costs, but IIRC, the ones that some of the guys have been putting on their cars were somewhere in the 140-180 range (if prices have shot up, my bad....i haven't needed to do this yet and dont remember lol).
+1
Old 02-13-2011, 07:05 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Took it for a spin right now, and everything is fine again, weird that it's so on and off. Have an appointment with the mechanic tomorrow though, wanna have this checked out asap.
The S/C clutch doesn't disengage till IAT's hit 92 degrees celcius. If it stays below that, the S/C will work and you will have proper power. Although, the IAT's climb very fast if the I/C pump is completely dead. Perhaps your I/C pump is almost dead or running very poorly. My I/C pump was dead during my test drive as well. I told the previous owner to drop the value of the car as I knew what was wrong and would fix it myself. While the pump was dead, I would get 5 seconds or so of WOT and full power till the S/C cut out. I never realized how critial the I/C pump was. There are a few people here who have proper functioning pumps that still have the S/C cut out on a track when the IAT's get too high. The cooling on these cars is not adequate. The s/c simply cannot function without water cooling. Anyways, the clamps are a huge biatch to get off, but once you have that part done, everything else is a sinch.

I got a Johnson CM30 for $175 shipped from ebay. You will have to play around with the brackets and resolder the plug off the CM30 as it's not completely plug and play. Took me just over an hour to do this, main problem being the inner spring clamp.

Bry

Last edited by Autotechnica; 02-13-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:22 PM

'03 C32 AMG
Left the car at my local mechanic to have him look at it, but ofc he couldn't reproduce the problem (since it only happens now and then). So they didn't charge me anything, and I'm still left with a car that suddenly loses all power. I'm out of ideas.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
take him out on a drive. drive hard on the car....get the temps up and it should shut off. if you are unable to replicate, i'd still tell him to replace it anyway lol.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Lightbulb

Left the car at my local mechanic to have him look at it, but ofc he couldn't reproduce the problem (since it only happens now and then). So they didn't charge me anything, and I'm still left with a car that suddenly loses all power. I'm out of ideas.
Have him check fuse for intercooler pump it may be that the SC turns off cause the fuse for the intercooler pump is blown thus SC cuts off due to over-heating cause the pump won't turn on thus the SC safety switches it off...I had this issue once and I thought it was the pump but after replacing it it happened again and the fabulous techs at Eurocharged Chicago found the issue
Old 02-15-2011, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Exclamation

I don't recall exact location but I want to say it's in trunk fuse box
Old 02-15-2011, 08:50 PM

'03 C32 AMG
Allright, I'll tell them next time. The mechanic probably just used his computer to check for codes (even though I told him I suspected the pump), and since the car don't throw any codes for this stuff, he couldn't find out what's wrong. I think I'll get a new mechanic
Old 02-15-2011, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Thumbs up

Allright, I'll tell them next time. The mechanic probably just used his computer to check for codes (even though I told him I suspected the pump), and since the car don't throw any codes for this stuff, he couldn't find out what's wrong. I think I'll get a new mechanic
It's not his fault this can elude any mechanics mind to fix...it's forums like this that help even other MB mechanics out....there is alot of info just do a search on inter-cooler pump.