C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

My C32's faux quad exhaust w/ pics

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 AMG
My C32's faux quad exhaust w/ pics

Just got back from my fabricator today. It's really not something I should have bothered him with, but I wanted it done properly. Here are some pics. It's literally 2 chopped C32 exhaust tips welded together and mounted with custom exhaust hangers. From every angle, except under the car, nobody was able to tell that they were fake (not connected). I even added some removable black paint for that "carbon" covered look. The only thing is on a cold day, you will only see steam/smoke from the left side of the exhausts. Some of you may call it "rice". I honsetly did it for symmetry. IMO all AMG's are defined by the quad exhaust look. There was literally no benefit performance wise from what I was planning to do, which was connect the second set of tips to the primary exhaust tips after the muffler. Even connecting it before the muffler would be useless. The rear bumper also had to be cut. However, precision work was not required as I had a CF diffuser. Anyways, enjoy!

Attached Thumbnails My C32's faux quad exhaust w/ pics-img00510-20110409-1933.jpg   My C32's faux quad exhaust w/ pics-img00512-20110409-1933.jpg  

Last edited by Autotechnica; 04-11-2011 at 12:01 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Autotechnica
"rice"
yup

edit: ok. it looks good, but it is rice. i know it doesn't increase power at all (unless you have done headers, high flow cats, 2ndary cat delete, res delete, in which case u might get a whp or 2 lol) but IMO it sounds more aggressive if you were to have made it legit

Last edited by jturkel; 04-10-2011 at 12:27 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:43 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
a car.
Looks good man, I'm glad the tips worked out for you.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:46 AM

2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by jturkel
yup

edit: ok. it looks good, but it is rice. i know it doesn't increase power at all (unless you have done headers, high flow cats, 2ndary cat delete, res delete, in which case u might get a whp or 2 lol) but IMO it sounds more aggressive if you were to have made it legit

Depends on how it was done. For example, if I had connected it to the primary tips after the muffler, it wouldn't make any difference to sound or performance. Infact, I doubt smoke/steam would even come out of that second set of tips. My fabricator even said to me, there's no point in doing it this way except to tell people that it's connected. That's just as rice and IMO shows that you're even dumber for wasting money on a useless setup. Maybe for bragging rights? To me, it's either do this for comestics or do a full true dual setup from the headers back. If I had connected the second set of tips before the primary muffler it would have been way too loud. There would be a difference in sound comming out of both tips unless I used the same mufflers on both. However, the spare tire compartment prevents me from running any sort of muffler in that area. Only real plasuable option here is to get the C55 spare tire compartment which if I find a "used" one in the future, I will jump on right away. Exhaust isn't really one of my planned mods for the near future though. I rarely buy anything that isn't functional. Only when it's on sale or cheap lol
Old 04-10-2011, 12:58 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
It looks rice, sorry. It probably shakes also when driving. Are you going for the OEM AMG look, cuz if you are the tips are installed incorrectly. The inside one should be sticking out more.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:24 PM

2002 C32 AMG
How can it "look" rice when it just looks like a C55 stock? You wouldn't even know it wasn't connected if I didn't tell you. It's welded properly. Why be stupid and make assumptions? It also IS mounted correctly and doesn't bounce around, it moves less than the stock muffler. It's not like I mounted it with a coat hanger or some wire. The inner tip is not supposed to be mounted further out. Both tips are flush. They're just mounted at an angle so it looks like the inner tip is further in. You're probably referring to the CLS55 or something. The newer gen AMG mercs have the tips mounted the way you describe. Did you forget that the C55 has the quad exhaust tips? If you look under a C32, it actually comes off the headers as a dual exhaust then goes into 1 resonator. Funny how if I uselessly connected it to the primary pipe nobody would call what I did rice, even though that would serve no useful purpose whatsoever other than bragging rights. Anyone ever see the exhaust on an ISF?

If the angle of the primary tips look off it's because I couldn't get my buffer on the inner tips to polish them properly. They're still covered in a lot of carbon baked on over the years. When I said it was rice, I was referring to the fact that the tips were not connected. Not that a quad exhaust on a C32 is Rice which seems to be what you're implying since you said it "looks" rice. That's interesting considering you have a quad on a Clk320? Aren't you being really hypocritical?

*added some more pics..

Last edited by Autotechnica; 04-10-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
How can it "look" rice when it just looks like a C55 stock? You wouldn't even know it wasn't connected if I didn't tell you. It's welded properly. If you bothered to read my post I said I had my fabricator made it. Why be stupid and make assumptions? It also IS mounted correctly and doesn't bounce around, it moves less than the stock muffler. The inner tip is not supposed to be mounted further out. Both tips are flush. They're just mounted at an angle so it looks like the inner tip is further in. If you look under a C32 it actually comes off the headers are a dual exhaust then goes into 1 resonator. Funny how if I uselessly connected it to the primary pipe nobody would call me rice, even though that would serve no purpose whatsoever.

I guess it's just me, but that doesn't look like a C55. Judging from you pic below it looks like the tips are staggered with the outside tip sticky out a bit more. All the AMG tips that come from factory have the inner tip a little further out than the outer one. It's not the angle, it's actually a bit longer. If you like them, that's all that matters.

Last edited by dynomite05; 04-10-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:01 PM

2002 C32 AMG
The C55 exhaust must be different then, because the C32 exhaust tips are angled towards the center of the bumper. I simply did the same on the other side for symmetry. BTW, thanks for the pics though. I didn't realize the C55 tips were different.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:08 PM

2002 C32 AMG
There's the C32 muffler on the left. You can see that the tips are flush but when mounted both tips angle off towards the centre. I was never trying to fool people into thinking it was a C55. I just think this car should have always had quad tips to look more aggressive. There are too many C320's with the AMG body kits and it's annoying me. C32's literally look like C320's with the "0" missing from the badge.

Last edited by Autotechnica; 04-10-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:56 PM

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
'03C32 Obsidian Black, '76Toyota Celica GT TRD, '12R350 4matic Arctic White, '06 ML 350 arctic white
what is rice? a clk 320 that looks like a clk55 or a C32 AMG that has a faux quad that looks pretty damn good. just sayin'
Old 04-10-2011, 06:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Originally Posted by W203Ramos
what is rice? a clk 320 that looks like a clk55 or a C32 AMG that has a faux quad that looks pretty damn good. just sayin'
Uhhhh....
Old 04-10-2011, 06:14 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
a car.
Are the gills on the side of a Reiger front bumper functional? I didn't think so but they look cool. Like I said Brian, it looks good and I'm glad I could supply the tips.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:30 PM

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
'03C32 Obsidian Black, '76Toyota Celica GT TRD, '12R350 4matic Arctic White, '06 ML 350 arctic white
^+1
Old 04-10-2011, 06:33 PM

2002 C32 AMG
lol, I don't want to start an argument. Just wanted to share my pics. Had a TRUE dual exhaust been easy to do, I would not have gone for the fake ones. It's a waste of time/money to connect the secondary tips to the primary exhaust pipe. Most people who have dual exhausts do it for looks. There is literally no benefit at this stage aside from looks which is what "rice" means. I walked into my fabs shop with full intention of connecting the tips together. My Fab actually talked me out of it. Just wanted to make an understated car look more aggressive. To me, the look of a car is just as important as the performance.

Thanks Chris, I'm glad someone thinks it's looks good!

Last edited by Autotechnica; 04-10-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:09 PM

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts
Multiple
Fake is rice. End of story. A c32 has no "OEM" quad look because it didnt come with quad tips from factory. You will look downright silly on a cold day.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
Some of you are being really harsh here. The OP clearly said this was a pure cosmetic modification. He desires no change in performance or sound. All he wanted were quad tips at the back.

There are so many modifications done purely for cosmetic purposes. There are so many people using non-OEM rims. There are so many people changing their front grilles to a big star. There are so many people tinting their cars. There are so many people painting their grilles. There are so many people that have aftermarket bodykits or adding spoilers (roof or trunk)........do I need to go on??

Whether it looks nice or not is purely subjective. I thought the term "rice" was usually reserved for more stereotypcial modifications like big fat and loud mufflers, huge wings, tacky stickers everywhere, multiple or bright fog lights/lights that light up the ground, etc, etc. that were associated with the "Fast and Furious" crowd of mostly Japanese cars.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie
Some of you are being really harsh here...
+1

Autotechnica's faux would likely trompe l’oeil of casual observers.
I’d much prefer to read of its upgraded chassis’ closed course results after the spring thaw.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
IMO shows that you're even dumber for wasting money on a useless setup.

Only real plasuable option here is to get the C55 spare tire compartment which if I find a "used" one in the future, I will jump on right away.

I rarely buy anything that isn't functional.
Great post. Thanks for sharing. I like Civics too.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
There are too many C320's with the AMG body kits and it's annoying me.
Why does it bother you? Also, when did you get your C32?
Old 04-10-2011, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
I'm one of those people that is all about appearance. Many mods I do are strictly for appearance rather than performance or other driving enhancements. That said, there are certain things that you just need to do right, the first time. This is one of those that you should've done right, and it's not that you needed to go full pipe from the headers, just an easy Y-tap after the resonator or axle.....
Old 04-10-2011, 11:22 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Viper98912
I'm one of those people that is all about appearance. Many mods I do are strictly for appearance rather than performance or other driving enhancements. That said, there are certain things that you just need to do right, the first time. This is one of those that you should've done right, and it's not that you needed to go full pipe from the headers, just an easy Y-tap after the resonator or axle.....
You're kind of contridicting yourself there. If you're all about appearance why would you bother to connect a second set of pipes that does absolutely nothing? Doing a Y-tap is not doing it right the first time. It brings me back to what I said before, why tap off the primary exhaust? It does NOTHING. Doing it right the first time means running a proper dual exhaust from the headers back. This was $50 I paid my Fabricator vs. hundreds of dollars for a useless tap that would do nothing for performance but serves the same cosmetic purpose. A Y-tap after the resonator still means one exhaust won't have a muffler. I would prefer to have one set of tips with no sound rather than 2 different sets of tips with different sounds. A Y-tap after the resonator would require the purchase of another muffler (which I already mentioned there's no room for with the C32 spare tire compartment) as well as piping and possibly another muffler to replace the stock one. You're already looking at quite a lot of money there to accomplish nothing in terms of performance. You would spend hundreds of dollars on piping, mufflers and labour just to see steam/smoke come out of both pipes when the car is stopped and it's cold outside?

Last edited by Autotechnica; 04-11-2011 at 12:31 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:24 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by pointman
Great post. Thanks for sharing. I like Civics too.
good for you?

Originally Posted by pointman
Why does it bother you? Also, when did you get your C32?
I understand nothing of what you're saying. Why does it matter when I got my C32?
Old 04-10-2011, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
There's the C32 muffler on the left. You can see that the tips are flush but when mounted both tips angle off towards the centre. I was never trying to fool people into thinking it was a C55. I just think this car should have always had quad tips to look more aggressive. There are too many C320's with the AMG body kits and it's annoying me. C32's literally look like C320's with the "0" missing from the badge.

It's ok...but sorry Dude it only bothers you but all owners of a C320 know they aren't anywhere a true AMG..everyone that knows true AMG know the difference between 1 person built engine compared to mass produced...so relax it gives us the "sleeper" look
Old 04-10-2011, 11:30 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by xxaarraa
Fake is rice. End of story. A c32 has no "OEM" quad look because it didnt come with quad tips from factory. You will look downright silly on a cold day.
Thanks for clearing that up. I totally did this because I got confused and saw all these C32's with quads that I thought were stock.

What's up with all the retarded comments? Like I said, none of you can tell that it's not hooked up. I posted pictures so you could see the quad look on a C32. I don't really care what your opinions are on whether or not the second set of tips are hooked up. I honestly don't care much for cosmestic modications. If you look at my signature, all my cars look pretty much stock, but they all have a signification amout of performance modifications. They've all seen tracks days and Auto-x. The C32's just look too plain for my liking. Just trying to spruce them up. The only time I will get a proper dual exhaust is when I feel it becomes a bottleneck, which probably won't happen for a while. I'm a performance guy, so unless the modification is cheap, I won't spend money on cosmetics. I'd rather save up for functional mods. The mod lists on my BMW's go on for pages, custom fabrication.

Last edited by Autotechnica; 04-10-2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:39 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by c32used
It's ok...but sorry Dude it only bothers you but all owners of a C320 know they aren't anywhere a true AMG..everyone that knows true AMG know the difference between 1 person built engine compared to mass produced...so relax it gives us the "sleeper" look
If you were ever a BMW guy, you would understand. It's like the E30 M3 vs. E36 M3. With the E30, it was nearly impossible to convert it to even "look" like the M3. The fenders, doors, trunk, bumpers, 1/4 panel etc were all different. The car was unique, and couldn't really be copied. With the E36 M3, all you had to do was get the bumpers and the car's would look almost identical. It's the same story with the C32's and the C320's. I understand that some C320's came with the AMG body kits from the factory, stupid on mercs part IMO. I have great admiration for the C55 for this reason. It's not easy to copy. A lot of parts are bespoke. Just to clear it up again, I didn't get the quads to copy the C55. I just like quads and think it suits the car. The performance more than lives up to the look.

Last edited by Autotechnica; 04-11-2011 at 12:06 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My C32's faux quad exhaust w/ pics