Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
Storing a car for months at a time

Hey All,

My C32 has been in my garage under a cover and won't be used until Thanksgiving time.

I've unplugged the battery and covered the car with a car cover. (duh)

Is there anything else I should have done?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:24 PM
cdd

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
N/A
What about a trickle charger?

Also, is there someone that can fire it up every once in awhile? Maybe once a month?

Tires can also be a problem if it sits there unmoved, but I don't know if 3 months is long enough to worry about that.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
I do this as a matter of routine every year when I stop driving my S2000 for the winter, so it sits for 5-6 months a year. I should move to Hawaii so it doesn't do that, but that's another story...

I would pump the air in the tires up to like 45 psi, or jack it up onto jackstands. I don't know how cold it may get in your area, but Canadian winters get cold as you can imagine. The drop in temperature leads to a drop in tire pressure, so much so that sometimes my S2000's tires would just deflate. After it did that, I ended up buying a cheap set of jackstands and propped it up the whole winter instead.

Also, you could fill the tank full of gas and/or add some fuel stabilizer.

And also concur with the comment about attaching a trickle charger.

Here's a link to the S2000 forums with some useful winter storage tips. Some of it might be a bit overkill, but there are good ideas there:

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/2476...-storage-tips/
Old 08-29-2012, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I garage stored my C55 from Aug 2010 to Jan 2011 in South Dakota, good coat of wax with fitted MB car cover, trickle charger, full tank of fuel and +15 PSI in the tires. The car turned over with no issues and no flat spots in tires (was wearing winter set up though), I let it idle for 30 mintues outside then back to daily driving with no issues. I changed ALL fluids a few weeks later as a precaution.

*edit* I would not unplug the battery, buy a trickle charger approx $100 to use if you're near an outlet. My BMW is at a storage facility with no access to an outlet and I cross my finger every time I go to start it.

Last edited by alboogiee; 08-29-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 C32 S203
No need for special treatment. Last winter I just removed my battery (minus pole first), fuel up the car and jacked it up for any long standing bearing issues. On June connected battery, fired up the thing and made sure all was ok. Tires back on, off the jacks and away we go.

For precaution let your car sit idle for at least 5 minutes (I had mine for 2 weeks) before disconnecting the battery. And fill up your petrol tank so that moisture cannot get in. That is it.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Carlsson CM60 EX:C36AMG'96
Originally Posted by alboogiee
I garage stored my C55 from Aug 2010 to Jan 2011 in South Dakota, good coat of wax with fitted MB car cover, trickle charger, full tank of fuel and +15 PSI in the tires. The car turned over with no issues and no flat spots in tires (was wearing winter set up though), I let it idle for 30 mintues outside then back to daily driving with no issues. I changed ALL fluids a few weeks later as a precaution.

*edit* I would not unplug the battery, buy a trickle charger approx $100 to use if you're near an outlet. My BMW is at a storage facility with no access to an outlet and I cross my finger every time I go to start it.
this perfect
Old 08-29-2012, 05:54 PM

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts
2013 c63 Magnuson SCed
Liquid Sta-Bil in the tank and run it a bit so the Sta-Bil gets through the entire fuel system. A Battery Tender never hurts but isn't always needed either.

Trending Topics

Old 08-30-2012, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2005 C55; 2003 360 Modena
6 months storage is meaningless from a time standpoint, however, some care isn't wasted.

I store 2 cars for approx. 6 months. Moisture is your biggest enemy. put plastic down flat, equal to the footprint of the vehicle and park over it. You'll want a vapor barrier between the floor / ground and the underside. Full tank of gas - premium top tier gas won't turn. Stabil is great for lawn mowers when a 1/2 gallon of gas is all there is. Battery tender vs. disconnect is much better. They're only $30. Drive the car at least 25 miles, go directly to storage, park the car and leave it. DO NOT start it. 1 / week or month, whatever, total waste of time and the harm caused is unnecessary. All you'll be doing is introducing moisture into engine, oil and exhaust without ever burning it off.

With 0w-40 motor oil, you're pretty much guaranteed that the oil will be in the sump and a film at best left elsewhere. Pull the fuel pump fuse, turn the key and the autostart will crank the engine either 10 or 15 seconds before giving up. No engine codes will be generated. Crank speed is roughly 350rpm. A gentle way to build oil pressure.

Put the fuse in, start the car and drive as you normally would. If you're due for fluids, great, if not - it's not necessary.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
Thanks for the info guys! KJB55, thanks for the info regarding the fuse. One of my friends has an E46 M3 which he only drives a few times a year. We went to go fire it up a few months ago and he kept turning the key just to turn over the motor. Is this the same thing?
Old 08-30-2012, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2005 C55; 2003 360 Modena
I can't speak to the BMW, as I don't know if it has the same electronic control of the starter as the MB. To just blip the key to try and turn the motor over without it starting is not the same thing, nor would it accomplish building pressure. You could accomplish the same thing by pulling the fuel pump fuse and cranking the engine keeping the key held at the start position for 10 seconds. 1 time is enough, beyond that I would let the starter cool for 5 minutes before 2nd time.

I will use the that method on the F355 as I'm just completing a rebuild.

With the MB, the fuse pulled for the fuel pump and turning the key to start - the electronic start system will keep the starter engaged and crank the motor at a constant low speed for X amount of seconds. The starter won't be damaged at all, nor will the drive gear and flywheel as the starter gear and ring teeth are fully engaged.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
Guys, I didn't put in any fuel stabilizer before I lef the car. What's the best thing to do at this point? I have half a tank of gas in the car right now. Should I just fill the tank with a jerry can when I go to start it up? At least this way, I have half new fuel and half old fuel.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:46 AM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by AMG3.2
Guys, I didn't put in any fuel stabilizer before I lef the car. What's the best thing to do at this point? I have half a tank of gas in the car right now. Should I just fill the tank with a jerry can when I go to start it up? At least this way, I have half new fuel and half old fuel.
if you have garaged your car for winter and haven't topped your tank yet.
take you car out on a dry day when it doesn't rain or snow, I don't think you want any roadsalt on your car?

at the gas station put 2 bottles of wynn's fuel stabilizer in your tank or what ever you can get to preserve gas?
1 can is for 50 liters IIRC?
So you need 1½ bottles, using 2 bottles is not a problem.
fill your tank and let your car idle a few minutes to circulate wich brewery mixed with gas.
off Yugo and park your car in your garage for winter.

Last edited by KJI3jflarryfe93; 11-25-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by AMG3.2
I suggest storing the car with a full tank of fuel, can't speak to the fuel additives, but you want a full tank of fuel in case of evaporation.