Replacement AMG Plate on the Supercharger

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 07:21 PM
av2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Replacement AMG Plate on the Supercharger

Does any other companies such as Carlson, Brabus, or other high-end tuners carry their own plate that goes on the supercharger?

I have a 02' car updated with an 03' supercharger by the dealer, but they can't supply me with an AMG plate. They (MB North America) rather lose me as a customer than to find one for me Some service...
Old 01-29-2004, 07:27 PM

SLK32
I have to say good for MBNA. Unless they could give you one without a signature one should not be provided. The signature plate is from the person that built the engine. Since they dont have a record of who built your they should not just supply a random one. Plus I highly doubt that you will never do business with MB just because they will not give you a plate.

At some point I would like to start correlating Dyno'd HP with the engine builder. If they were to start handing out plates that would make the data useless.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:09 PM
av2

C32 AMG
I'll take a plate without a signature! Heck, I'll take anything that'll cover that bald spot!

From a customer stand point, going through the trouble of replacing a supercharger on a $57K car, plus the fact that the guys scratched up the plastic around the engine bay, You might think they'll at least try to make the best of it? I guess you're right, it makes more sense to lose a customer, who's family of 5 purchased 5 Mercedes in the last 7 years than to replace a metal plate that cost less than $2.00 to produce. Good business!
Old 01-30-2004, 01:34 AM
lap

2002 c32
actually they do know...

"Since they dont have a record of who built your they should not just supply a random one."... Actually there is an Engine Serial Number and they (MB/AMG) do know who the technician of each c32 engine 2k2 onward is.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:49 AM

C32 AMG
Originally posted by 430

At some point I would like to start correlating Dyno'd HP with the engine builder. If they were to start handing out plates that would make the data useless.
Why is the world would you want to do that? there's really nothing to gain for you???
Old 01-30-2004, 12:31 PM

SLK32
Originally posted by 99ITR_SC
Why is the world would you want to do that? there's really nothing to gain for you???
Curiosity. I am interested in finding out if the differences in HP can be related back to the builder. Yes, I know that there are a number of factors that go into the real world HP numbers, but the building of the engine/combination of parts is part of it. For example I have a friend with an old stock GTO. He consistently beats modified GTO's. It is not simply a matter of poor combination of aftermarket parts or poor drivers. But it comes down to the quality of the engine out of the factory. He appears to have lucked out and gotten a set of parts that is pretty well balanced and the tolerances are all spot on. Granted we are sort of comparing apples and oranges but the same principle applies to an extent.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:37 PM

SLK32
Re: actually they do know...

Originally posted by lap
"Since they dont have a record of who built your they should not just supply a random one."... Actually there is an Engine Serial Number and they (MB/AMG) do know who the technician of each c32 engine 2k2 onward is.
That is true, I did not think the original post out as well as I should have.

As far as anyone being surprised by MB's attituted they should not be. If my purchase desision was based purely on the quality of customer service I would never have purchased any of my MB's.

As far as loosing you as a customer over a $2 part. Come on, are you trying to say that you will never purchase another MB because they would not give you a signature plate? I could understand you saying that you would never buy another one due to build quailty, but...

Tell you what if the signature plate is that big of a deal here are 2 options. 1) go find someplace that will let you drive a C32 or SLK32 without a saleman present (will most likely have to be a non-mb dealership) and jack the plate or 2) go to Home Depot purchase a sheet of tin cut it to size and either etch in what you want or take it to someplace that will etch it for you.
Old 01-30-2004, 03:02 PM
Almost a Member!

C32 AMG
Where is the signature plate exactly, and do all C32's have them?
Old 01-30-2004, 06:13 PM

SLK32
The signature plate is on top of the supercharger in '03+ AMG's.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:51 PM

2016 C300
Re: actually they do know...

Originally posted by lap
Actually there is an Engine Serial Number and they (MB/AMG) do know who the technician of each c32 engine 2k2 onward is.
I would very much like to have a signature plate on my car.....they should let the customer who have 02 AMGs have the option of purchasing the signature plate afterwards.
Old 01-31-2004, 01:17 AM

1997 C36 AMG
to me the signature plate is just an mere emblem (nothing significant to it)

It's totally different than Engine serial number plate, if the dealer refuse to give your old serial number and put it on the new engine, that is expected..

but just the AMG round crest ..come on...it should be a dollar a dozen

just like the daimler benz windshield decal sticker with signature in it..

it doesn't mean squat...you could buy it cheap at ebay..

To me the dealer doesn't give you the plate is ..sucks..

they should know how to treat the customer better especially repeats customer..

Regardz,
Old 01-31-2004, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32 AMG
Sorry, but I fail to see what is so special about a plate with a signature on it.

The guy who built the engine is the one you will never likely see or talk to.

In all honesty a robot that is normally used to build MB engines is better at it than a human.

This is a gimmick that MB, and Ford SVT use to promote a special car.

Think of it this way, robot does not have bad days. It is not hung over on Mondays, it does not try to recover on Tuesdays, it is better than human on Wednesdays, it does not think about weekend on Thursdays and it does not look forward to getting waisted on Fridays. It does not have a spouse, a girlfriend or boss to get it pissed-off.

All it thinks about are tolerances and it never gets tired. To back it up it has lasers to keep it straight.