C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

ASP Pulleys

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Capri Blue C32
ASP Pulleys

Hey all. I have a question, especially for Vadim or someone at Evosport and people with pulley upgrades. I emailed a company called ASP (I've seen some people with reference to them) and asked about their upgrades for my C32. I was told the they have a crank pulley and water pump pulley upgrade that will add 28 hp to the wheels, just by installing the pulleys. The price is dirt cheap, and I'd have to either do it myself or have a shop do it. But I'm sort of skeptical about the increase claim. Can simply replacing the crank pulley and water pump pulley increase my hp by 28 at the wheels?

I've been thinking about Evosport, but I don't live in CA, and ASP is here in Texas. Any chance Evosport would match the quote, or at least come close???
Old 10-24-2004, 01:13 AM

03 C32 AMG Blk/Blk
What is the phone number or web/email address of this company? I'll order and try them out if they are cheap. Which a pulley should be. This 2000$ crap for a few pullies is crazy.

-Mike
Old 10-25-2004, 02:59 AM

C32AMG
Originally Posted by jayitx
I emailed a company called ASP (I've seen some people with reference to them) and asked about their upgrades for my C32. I was told the they have a crank pulley and water pump pulley upgrade that will add 28 hp to the wheels, just by installing the pulleys. The price is dirt cheap, and I'd have to either do it myself or have a shop do it. But I'm sort of skeptical about the increase claim. Can simply replacing the crank pulley and water pump pulley increase my hp by 28 at the wheels?
Their crank pulley uses the stock one as a base and they weld on an outer ring to make it ~7 inches which is the same diameter of the evosport pulley.

Therefore, the ASP pulley uses the factory harmonic damper, the evosport pulley does not have one as it is machined out aliminum. The evosport pulley is much lighter than the modified ASP pulley. Some extra gains to be had with the lighter pulley.

Do you need a harmonic balancer? Don't know, many people have the evosport kit and have no problems. Everyone has their own opinions.

The ASP pulley is similar to the Renntech and Kleemann pulley with the retention of the harmonic damper.

28HP at the wheels, is feasible depends on the car and other conditions but there will be a noticeable increase that is for sure, as boost will be increased. I always take all HP increase claims as the maximum attainable under ideal circumstances. A chip will also help you get the most out of a pulley upgrade.

I have dealt with ASP, Lee is great and they do good work. I have also dealt with evosport and they are great too!!

It comes down to your decision, your time frame, your money and your car. Do your homework and then make your decision.

T
Old 10-25-2004, 03:14 AM

C32AMG
Originally Posted by doofoo
What is the phone number or web/email address of this company? I'll order and try them out if they are cheap. Which a pulley should be. This 2000$ crap for a few pullies is crazy.

-Mike
http://www.aspracing.com/frame.htm

Remember, manufacturers of these kits spend a lot of time and money on R&D, and there is a limited market for the final product. If the C32 was as popular as a honda civic, I would imagine the kit would be a few hundred bucks.

They must recoup their costs and make some profit or what is the point of being in business and even spending the time developing a kit for the C32. Think of it from the manufacturers point of view, would you research and manufacture a product and make no money on it?

T
Old 10-25-2004, 07:41 AM

03 C32 AMG Blk/Blk
Originally Posted by TC32AMG
http://www.aspracing.com/frame.htm

Remember, manufacturers of these kits spend a lot of time and money on R&D, and there is a limited market for the final product. If the C32 was as popular as a honda civic, I would imagine the kit would be a few hundred bucks.

They must recoup their costs and make some profit or what is the point of being in business and even spending the time developing a kit for the C32. Think of it from the manufacturers point of view, would you research and manufacture a product and make no money on it?

T
TC,

Coming from the BMW aftermarket community before getting my C32, I can understand and appreciate the R&D put into most products. However, these pullies don't really require much R&D. It's really just what people will pay, so why not charge it?

Hopefully Rouge will start releasing some products for the C32 which I am sure Ben will end up working on.

-Mike
mike@dtmpower.net
Old 10-25-2004, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
So what is the price of the ASP Pulley's? It would be good to know so someone could look at the numbers to compare. There is some added benefit to having a new crank pulley versus modifying the stock one.

With the ASP you no longer have the stock pulley, I would want the stock one to reinstall before bringing the car into the dealer(don't want my warranty voided).

Also does welding on this outer ring destroy the bond of the rubber damper? Is this crank pulley now going to seperate over time and destroy the radiator and other items in the engine bay? How many are in customers cars right now and for how long?

The lighter Evosport pulley's are worth probably 8-10hp more than the stock ones. How many extra dollars is this worth to someone?

All these things need to be looked at before I would buy a product just because it is cheaper.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:38 AM

03 C32 AMG Blk/Blk
Originally Posted by Zeppelin
So what is the price of the ASP Pulley's? It would be good to know so someone could look at the numbers to compare. There is some added benefit to having a new crank pulley versus modifying the stock one.

With the ASP you no longer have the stock pulley, I would want the stock one to reinstall before bringing the car into the dealer(don't want my warranty voided).

Also does welding on this outer ring destroy the bond of the rubber damper? Is this crank pulley now going to seperate over time and destroy the radiator and other items in the engine bay? How many are in customers cars right now and for how long?

The lighter Evosport pulley's are worth probably 8-10hp more than the stock ones. How many extra dollars is this worth to someone?

All these things need to be looked at before I would buy a product just because it is cheaper.

I am pretty sure you would still have your stock crank pulley as I'm sure they order the part from MB and then modify it, sending you a complete unit. I will call them today and check as I did not see a C32 listed on their site. I know I wouldn't want to have my car out of comission while I waited on them to modify it and send it back.

From other prices of MB applications, I'm willing to guess $650 is the price. I'll update you later.

-Mike
Old 10-25-2004, 12:29 PM

2004 Capri Blue C32
That was exactly my concern.....I was told that if I sent my stock pulley, they would modify it and send it back to me (3 weeks!). But I can order a new set form them, which is what I would prefer so you could take it out when bringing it to MB for service. $700 was what I was told for the new one.

Pulleys seem pretty simple to remove/replace, so that's why I'm skeptical about having so much gain by doing the work yourself. I guess I figured an ECU upgrade or something along those lines would be what made a big hp difference. The obvious next questions is.......if simply changing the size of the pulleys would make that big a difference in power, why wouldn't MB offer that as an option, especially if it's safe? I'm sure this has been debated many times here....just thinking to myself.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:36 PM

2004 Capri Blue C32
Also, how much would it cost to get stock pulleys and send them to ASP, without talking them off the car for 3 weeks? It may be even cheaper........
Old 10-25-2004, 12:45 PM

SLK32
Originally Posted by Zeppelin
You will see little if any HP differences due to the weight differential. You have the weight located close to the axis of rotation so there is not as large of an impact as say on the edges of a flywheel. If you have any doubts compare the Dyno's of RENNtech vs. Evo. They are very, very close.
Old 10-25-2004, 01:36 PM
Bux
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G
price?
Old 10-25-2004, 04:38 PM

2002 silver c32
"For those with factory superchargers like the C32 and the new SL55, ASP is now making pulley kits for those cars. These are pulley kits using your factory damper. The C32/SLK32 kit is $400 and includes 3 pullies and the SL55 is a single pulley so it's only $200 like the C230K/SLK230. If you don't want to donate your factory pulley then it's about $250 more depending on what MB charges for it. No word yet on the 1.8l. For more info, contact Lee at asp@aspracing.com"

........from an old buellwinkle post.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:49 PM

03 C32 AMG Blk/Blk
read below.. Price info directly from lee.

-Mike

Last edited by doofoo; 10-25-2004 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:50 PM

2002 C32 AMG
I just emailed these guys....

They offer a factory dampner modification good for 30 hp to the wheels. It
comes with a wp pulley , idler pulley and the modified crank pulley. Price
is 650.00 with ASP buying a core. If you provide the core price is 300.00. They
do not stock the kit but make it per order. Time is 3 weeks to build.

Sounds pretty good to me. I had Rogue pulley on my 330i and they made a ton of difference.

Last edited by cliverman; 10-25-2004 at 04:53 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-25-2004, 05:25 PM

2003 Nissan 350Z
hmm, interesting. I guess it depends on what you are comfortable putting on your car.

Have any tuners tried a even higher boost pulley? (190mm)?
Old 10-25-2004, 05:41 PM

2004 Capri Blue C32
Funny.....in my email response, the price for using my pulley is $350 and a new one is $700. And the gains I was told were 28 hp. At least they're consistent on the time---3 weeks.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:43 PM

2004 Capri Blue C32
If this is all that Renntech and Evosport do for pulley upgrades, I think it's worth it to save over $1000. Only difference is that you have to install them yourself, but how hard can that be?
Old 10-25-2004, 07:54 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Install Cost - not too bad

I had pulleys put on my BMW and my G35 for ~$150 both times at the dealer. These type of mods do not by any means void the warranty if installed correctly. I figured that if the dealer installed them, they'd be liable if anything went wrong.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:11 PM

2003 Nissan 350Z
I think our pulley require a bit more work than say replacing the ALT/PS pulley in a G35. The 5 pulley set in front is not very easy to access.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:20 PM

2004 Capri Blue C32
So then......how do the knowledgeable people feel about C32 owners installing pulleys themselves? Is it easy to mess up, or is it pretty straightforward? I know I could do it, but I don't know if there are tricks/special methods/techniques/adjustments that could make it more difficult.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:30 AM

C32AMG
TC,

Coming from the BMW aftermarket community before getting my C32, I can understand and appreciate the R&D put into most products. However, these pullies don't really require much R&D. It's really just what people will pay, so why not charge it?

-Mike
mike@dtmpower.net
True, the same can be said about buying a mercedes.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:37 AM

03 C32 AMG Blk/Blk
True, the same can be said about buying a mercedes.
Exactly, thank god we have people like ASP selling for a lot cheaper. I will be doing a review of this product in the next month, install through dyno, etc.

-Mike
Old 10-26-2004, 12:39 AM

C32AMG
Exactly, thank god we have people like ASP selling for a lot cheaper. I will be doing a review of this product in the next month, install through dyno, etc.

-Mike

I have had a evosport pulley and an ASP pulley on my car and they are about the same, with the evosport pulley the car is a little snappier but other than that it is the same, ran at the track with both times almost identical. :p

T
Old 10-26-2004, 12:55 AM

03 C32 AMG Blk/Blk
I have had a evosport pulley and an ASP pulley on my car and they are about the same, with the evosport pulley the car is a little snappier but other than that it is the same, ran at the track with both times almost identical. :p

T
TC,

1/4mile I assume? What times were you running stock vs pullies? Also, did you do any dyno runs before/after? I am going to be adding some software as well, but just trying to look at my options right now. Suggestions?

The prices on software are pretty nuts as well.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 10-26-2004, 01:05 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
BMW E30. I've turned to the dark side.
as for installation, there is a special holder required to keep the damper from turning while loosening/tightening the bolt, it's a semi-pain to use but i think that it would be even harder to try to hold it w/ prybars etc. the bolt is either a 17mm allen head or more likely a 27mm normal hex-head. i recommend going to a dealer who has the tools or finding a tech to moon-light if you're worried about warranty issues. i would also be concerned about welding a larger pulley to the outer ring of the damper. MB dampers haven't exactly had the best track record (non AMG)... add heat and expansion and who knows. i'd be curious how they are built at ASP. i believe the shop time for a pulley r&r is around 2.0hrs or less, i'd have to look it up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ASP Pulleys