C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Headlights always on in AUTO mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlights always on in AUTO mode

Just got the car back from dealer for replacing the notorious air pump module. I always had my headlight switch set to AUTO position, but now when I turn on the ignition, the headlights are always on even under bright sunlight.

Went back to the dealer, the tech said this is normal for AUTO mode. But I remember clearly the headlights only truned on when the sun is dim, or when I pull into the garage, or during the dusk hours. What gives? Any suggestion on how to fix it? I've checked the lighting configuration in the console, making sure it is not set to CONSTANT, everything seems fine.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by mbc32amg
Just got the car back from dealer for replacing the notorious air pump module. I always had my headlight switch set to AUTO position, but now when I turn on the ignition, the headlights are always on even under bright sunlight.

Went back to the dealer, the tech said this is normal for AUTO mode. But I remember clearly the headlights only truned on when the sun is dim, or when I pull into the garage, or during the dusk hours. What gives? Any suggestion on how to fix it? I've checked the lighting configuration in the console, making sure it is not set to CONSTANT, everything seems fine.
That's not right. You are correct, they should only turn on when it gets dark.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:25 PM
Bux
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G
Originally Posted by MiamiC55
That's not right. You are correct, they should only turn on when it gets dark.

correct, mine just had that problem also and got fixed
Old 11-18-2004, 03:44 PM

ro0zy,

Did they state what had been done to fix the problem on your writeup sheet?
Old 11-18-2004, 03:51 PM
Bux
MBWorld Fanatic!

G
sorry don't have the sheet anymore, but just tell them you are WRONG and show them on any of their cars if the headligts are on in AUTO
Old 11-18-2004, 08:24 PM
GGM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 E350

What is with these dealers saying that things that are obviously not normal are normal? I expected better from Mercedes. I guess I was expecting too much.

BTW--when my headlights are set to auto (as they always are) they also only come on at dusk, when it is very cloudy, and when I pull in the garage. What is with these people???

And I wish the lights would automatically come on when the wipers are turned on. I miss that feature on my Chrysler 300M.

GGM

Last edited by GGM; 11-18-2004 at 08:28 PM.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:34 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Thats weird since there not set on constant.

Trending Topics

Old 11-18-2004, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Did some tech mess with the DRL settings?
Old 11-19-2004, 02:07 AM

C32AMG
I always had my headlight switch set to AUTO position, but now when I turn on the ignition, the headlights are always on even under bright sunlight.

My headlights are always on in auto or in the off position. It is my marker and dash lights that come on when it gets dim.

But then I live in Canada where daytime running lights are required.

T
Old 11-19-2004, 02:55 PM
lap

2002 c32
I'm wondering...

Originally Posted by TC32AMG
My headlights are always on in auto or in the off position. It is my marker and dash lights that come on when it gets dim.

But then I live in Canada where daytime running lights are required.

T
if they messed up the "Region" code?
Old 11-20-2004, 03:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Originally Posted by ro0zy
correct, mine just had that problem also and got fixed
I experienced the same problem started a month ago.
And the problem occured much more frequent now.

Please advise me what did they fix for you ?
Was it some sort of simple tuning of the sensitivity of the Light sensitive cells or did they actually replace the whole of something.
I am sure I must get this fixed at my next ( first ) service
thanks

cnt
Old 11-20-2004, 03:16 AM
Bux
MBWorld Fanatic!

G
i really have no idea ...i just went in for a scheduled service ..told them the problem and they fixed it.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:51 PM

ro0zy,

Next time you visit your dealer, could you ask your advisor what they did to fix yours? I have had return visit 5 times to my service department now, and they're still baffled with the problem.

Much appreciated!
Old 12-31-2004, 06:07 AM

Its your light sensor up by the rear view mirror or they are now set to Canadian stds...
Old 12-31-2004, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'15 E350 4M Sport
I always had my headlight switch set to AUTO position, but now when I turn on the ignition, the headlights are always on even under bright sunlight.
I leave mine in auto also. I do notice that on the edge of outside light/dark conditions, the Nav screen changes between light/dark background, indicating the ambient light sensor is working. I changed my settings from "constant" to "manual" to disable DRL, so now I'll have to pay more attention and see how it works.

Rgds,
Norm

Last edited by noka; 12-31-2004 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by marcC55miami
Its your light sensor up by the rear view mirror or they are now set to Canadian stds...
They replaced the front SAM twice to ensure it's an American version, they also checked the software is up to date and correct version. I don't know if it's the light sensor, as the navi screen does change color when ambient light changed.

Just curious, for you guys with xenon lights, what is the moving pattern of your headlight auto levelling (self adjust) when starting the car? Is it moving up then down or down then up? I seems to remember before having this auto headlight problem, my headlights would point up then adjust down, but now it moves down first then up.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:34 PM

in your menu under settings there is a option for lights. go to that then there is a option for headlights, manual or constant. switch back to manual
Old 06-25-2011, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Originally Posted by joec240
in your menu under settings there is a option for lights. go to that then there is a option for headlights, manual or constant. switch back to manual
Congrats, you have made it into the stereotype that 75% of users first posts are of accidentally answering 6 year old questions.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Marsaydees
Wow, you fail hard.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:07 AM

2002 C32 AMG selling
Yeah, gotta check those dates. So easy to jump in after the action is long over. Been guilty of that oversight myself.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:29 PM

thank you all for being so welcoming, i think every question should have a answer bc its not just pple on this site that look at it for answers
Old 06-27-2011, 04:35 AM

2002 C32 AMG selling
Thumbs up

thank you all for being so welcoming, i think every question should have a answer bc its not just pple on this site that look at it for answers
True. When you're looking for answers, the date is almost immaterial. I found this forum and thought I found the proverbial 'pot of gold' at the end of the rainbow. VERY useful for troubleshooting MB issues. Really appreciate the effort many members put in to their posts.