C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Brief Hello & A Few Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brief Hello & A Few Questions

Hello all... another new member to your forum.

First I'd like to say this is a great forum for the C43. I've been very impressed with everything I've read thus far. I have taken time to go through all the old topics, and try to read up on as much as possible to prevent repetitive new member questions. I do have a few though, so please bear with me...

First, I'm currently seeking to purchase either C43 or C230 Kompressor. Both are a far cry from what I'm used to driving (we'll get to that later...). I like the C43 for what most people probably like it for... the engine! I've driven my friends E55 many times, and was very impressed. Even though the 4.3l is smaller, I'm confident the lighter weight of the C-class will more than make up for it. I'm looking to purchase something a bit more upscale/luxurious/sporty for a daily driver. The Kompressor has its draw for sporty, efficient, daily use. The C43 draws me in for raw power, limited numbers, and that cool little AMG badge.

My outstanding questions, which I hope you don't mind answering are as follows:

1) What are the differences in Spring Pad's I've read so much about? Is it purely a thickness measurement?

2) How hard/easy is it to adapt/install proper HID setups in a W202 chassis? Are the C43 headlight assemblies projectors, or simply refractors?

3) Does the rear seat in a C43 fold down/split?

4) Besides engine size, what is the primary difference between a C36 and C43?

5) How many people actually work on their own vehicles? I have a full service highline european shop to utilize (complete with a MB Technician!), so tools/expertise is not a concern...

I live in the New England Area (New Hampshire to be exact), so I am looking for a car I can drive year round in comfort. When I want to drive on the track or just go for a nice Sunday cruise, I'll drive my other car... perhaps the "Arch Nemesis" to the C43's older brother? (190e 2.3l 16v)

This is my current toy car:
1990 BMW E30 M3 2.3l

Come spring time, I'd very much like to meet up with a few people, if there are any(?), in the NH/MA/VT/ME area to see some examples of this car. Finding C230K's to test drive is easy, but a C43 is a bit more uncommon to find sitting on a car lot.

I appreciate your paitence and guidance while I have questions. I'll likely just "lurk" in the background reading up and becoming more familiar with the vehicle for the time being.

Kind Regards,
Christopher
Old 11-03-2006, 01:56 AM
SDR

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
'99 C43, '12 C63, '13 E350, '14 Sprinter
I think I can help with a couple of the questions:

1. Yes, purely the thickness. I tend to think of them as providing the ability to fine tune the ride height to your liking. I've swapped dozens of them by now. When my wife got new tires for the E430 we had to move back up to 4's from the earlier 2's. It's not a huge difference (4mm per bump if I recall correctly) but it helps.
2. Can't help here. Mine has them, but I believe the prior owner installed them. They're awesome.
3. Mine has a "60/40" split fold down seat. I believe this is standard.
4. Tranny and body styling also. 4 speed auto in the 36. Ohh... brakes too I believe.
5. Many of us still driving a C43 are working on them ourselves. A good manual, good tools, a garage, patience and beer all help
Old 11-03-2006, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
I'm in NH as well. Your more than welcome to come take a ride in my C43 if I can take a ride in your E30.

The C43 is a great car. Even better if you have a technician at your dispense as you mentioned. The car has a tight engine bay that seems to inhale dropped screwdrivers, bolts, small parts, kittens, and such. I've had a few repairs with mine, nothing strange for an 8 year old car though. I've also got a great tech that I use sometimes if your looking.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:40 AM

95 Bronco w/351 V8 & 2003 Mustang MACH 1
2. Xenon headlamps were a factory option on the C43.
4. the 97 C36 has a 5-spd auto (all C43s' have 5-spd auto) and the C43 has adjustable lumbar supports for seats and a anti-towing sensor or alarm. Not sure what it really is but there is a button for it next to the central lock button above the HVAC controls. Also, I believe the C43 had side impact airbags.

Hope that helps. I drive a 97 C36.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:47 AM

Thank you all for the responses and information!!

The M3 is going into storage for the winter here in the next week or 2. Come spring time I'm sure we can work something out though...

Have you found that the C43 requires "constant" attention? I know with the M3 and its highstrung S14, you can't neglect maitenance/general "once overs".

Two more quick questions...

Can you easily change the radio head-unit from a tape deck to the non-tape deck that is present in other models? I must admit this is purely an asthetic desire...

Are 17" wheels the smallest you can run on a C43? I'm thinking ahead to winter time for winter wheels/tires. Secondly, I've noticed many people run 18" Monoblocks, are these from the E-class?

Thanks again for all the help and insight. It is much appreciated.
Christopher
Old 11-03-2006, 11:15 AM

'99 C43K AMG
Sorry I can't help you with your questions as I don't know the answers, but I have to say I LOVE your E30, looks real clean as well.. Kudos++ =)
Old 11-03-2006, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Broke Driver
Sorry I can't help you with your questions as I don't know the answers, but I have to say I LOVE your E30, looks real clean as well.. Kudos++ =)
Thanks very much!

Its a 1990 with a brand new engine.
Eibach Race Springs
Recaro Profi-SPG shell seats
BBS RC 17x8 wheels
ECU chipped
Lightweight Flywheel
Evo lip spoiler & splitter
Evo bumper tape
European Headlights

It'll be getting some other additions here over the winter...It's never ending!

It was a graduation gift from my father, owner & operator of: www.VSR1.com

Best,
Christopher
Old 11-06-2006, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
That E30 is awesome!! I don't know why but I've got a thing for older euro's, the 190E's, the E30's, 6.9 amgs, and all the oldies.

Hey! is the blue 95 BMW still for sale on your website??? did the depoist pull through?? LMK, I may have a home for that.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by NitrogenBalance
Hey! is the blue 95 BMW still for sale on your website??? did the depoist pull through?? LMK, I may have a home for that.
I believe it has sold. I do have some other options coming up though:
1992 325is 2 door 5 speed Green w/ tan interior
1989 325i 2 door 5 speed Silver exterior

Thanks for the compliments on the E30. I'd have to say, short of an E36 M3 or E39 M5, the C43 is one of the only "modern" cars I'm interested in. Otherwise I'm a real sucker for older european marquees.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hope this helps:

1. Like others have said, spring pads are rubber pads that either raise or loweres the car a few mm. Really helps when you're trying to fine tune your ride height after you lower it.

2. OEM HIDs are $$$ and are refractors. Somewhere around $2500 from the dealer. Or you can get a set from bekkers.com for $1300. Difference from OEM and bekkers is that bekkers kit isn't self leveling, but does have vaccum line. So you can manually adjust the height. Install took me about 3 hours and was a PITA. Had to take a lot of stuff off to get the lights out. But once that was done it was plug and play. I wouldn't reccommend going with projector style headlight you find on ebay. They don't look good on the W202 chasis and aren't that great quality.

3. Yes they have split folding seats

4. MY 1995-1996 C36 had 4sp auto MY 1997 had a 5sp. More unique AMG specific parts are in the C36. The C43 has the 4.3l engine from the E430 with little upgrades. Brakes are bigger, and subframe is a bit different. Also better seats in the C43 with the lumbar support. Also body kits are different.

5. Don't work on my car, but know ppl who can. And if you like your friends E55, why not swap in an E55 engine into the C43
Old 11-07-2006, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by knvs
5. Don't work on my car, but know ppl who can. And if you like your friends E55, why not swap in an E55 engine into the C43
Will this solve the "C43 Tranny of Horror" issue? If yes, then I'm sold!

Thanks for the answers. Its making the C43 sound more and more suitable to what I'm looking for...!

Best,
Christopher
Old 11-07-2006, 09:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChristopherL
Will this solve the "C43 Tranny of Horror" issue? If yes, then I'm sold!

Thanks for the answers. Its making the C43 sound more and more suitable to what I'm looking for...!

Best,
Christopher
No it doesn't solve the tranny issues. The tranny in the C43 is the same as in the E55 and came from the SL500. They're all the same.