C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

My New Baby (C43) is Home!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
98 C43, 15 Alfa 4C LE, 18 Tesla Model 3 DM Perf, 08 Duc S1000, 02 Duc 998, 98 Duc 748, 01 Miata
My New Baby (C43) is Home!!

Well, about three weeks ago I found a black 1998 C43 with 48k miles on AutoTrader. I knocked my chair over as I rushed to grab the phone and call my dad to let him know what I had found. I emailed the seller with my annoying questions and let him know that I wasn't really in the position to buy but I would be if he still had the car at the end of July. Well, with an asking price of $14,900 I knew that I needed to get my ducks in a row real quick before someone else hopped on it. I put a deposit on it about a week and a half ago and flew down Saturday to stay with a friend who lived in the area, which was Birmingham, AL. I picked the car up Monday morning. First MB oddity was the fact that the sun roof would open in intervals as you pressed the open button. It would go partway back and then you would have to let it go and press it again to go all the way back. Then, if you pressed close, it would do nothing. You had to press it up as in making it vent to get it to close. By the time I got home though, it all worked properly.

Now the drive, which should have been 8 hours but turned into a 12.5 hour adventure. First off, the tires were bald and I knew it when I picked the car up. I made the judgment that I could make the 600 miles home on the tires and replace them when I got here. I just happened to pick the day with terrible rain storms, so I had to pull over twice before I got out of Alabama. I finally got some clear weather and headed towards Atlanta where the traffic was pretty terrible. Finally made it through Atlanta and about 30 minutes out I hear "boom" and the car starts shaking violently. The car behind me is nailing the brakes as big shards of rubber are being thrown from the passenger side rear tire (or what is left of said tire). I managed to get the car under control and pull off the side of the highway. Dumb mistake number one was to pull off so far that the passenger side was in the dirt and the jack sank in. Dumb mistake two was to not engage the e-brake and the car rolled forward on the jack. Luckily the wheel was still on and not far up, so no harm done. I repositioned everything and changed over to the spare. Miraculously, the wheel had almost no damage though I had some nice rubber marks up the side of the vehicle. I drove the car to Greenville, SC to look for a Sears since I knew that they were open until 9 pm.

Now, if you didn't want to read the rest of my long story, please read here since I need some help. The Sears did not have the correct rear tire size in stock, so I had to go up a size. The fronts are the stock 225/45/17s but I had to go with a 245/45/17 in the rear. I had to get home, so I didn't have much of a choice. I was expecting to get ESP issues but I haven't had any yet. However, the cruise control isn't working after I changed the tires. When I push the lever to turn it on, it surges to maintain the speed and then immediately shuts off. Does anyone know how to reprogram the cruise control or reset it? If there isn't a way, I'm gonna have to head to the local Sears and see if I can strike up a deal since I know everyone there.

So, I finally got home at 1:30 in the morning. I took her out this morning and got all of the paperwork done and got the license plate. I have to admit that I am madly in love with this car. I don't like to keep things stock as I think everything can be improved upon, but I am planning on keeping this car stock for a little while (besides maybe a Sprint Booster). The previous owner took very good care of the car, but I want to have all of the service up to date. I am planning the following and would like you to let me know if I am missing anything:
-Based on the tire wear, the car definitely needs an alignment. I'm planning on taking it to a European independent that maintains my dad's Porsche (in addition to a 959 and several Carrera GT's) to see if they have someone on staff that is versed on the Benzos.
-Transmission fluid and filter. I'll be taking care of this myself since I can handle anything that doesn't require an expensive specialized tool.
-Spark plugs. Manual seemed to say every 100,000 miles and previous owner said every 20,000. I figure that they are cheap enough so I will do those.
-Engine oil. I use Mobil 1 in everything, so I planned on using that with the Benz too.
-Brake fluid replacement. This one has a squishy pedal, so there is definitely air in the lines. I may switch over to stainless lines at this point too if anyone has any suggestions.
-I'll check out the belts as well. I'd like to go with the billet harmonic dampened crank pulley that I've seen on these boards in the not too distant future. Apparently the stock one failed on the previous owner and has been replaced. I'd also like to do the water pump in the not too distant future. I need to get the Eclipse running and out of the garage before I take on these larger projects.

I know you probably just wasted ten minutes of your life reading my post and you want to know where the pictures are. It was a nasty day and I haven't been able to clean the car up yet, so hopefully I will post some pics tomorrow. It is black on black/blue leather. I didn't think I would like the black/blue leather, but it is much more subtle than it looks in pics. I appreciate everyone's responses and I am glad to be a part of this board. I've been reading for over a year now and the information on this board has been very helpful in my purchase.

Here are some numbers to help other potential buyers:

I paid $14,500 for this car.
It had 48,530 miles on it when I picked it up.
I am paying $660 a year for full coverage through Geico and I am 22 years old.
I financed the vehicle through Capital One.

If anyone has any questions or comments, post them up here or shoot me a PM. Thanks guys.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by ECTurboGSX
. . . . . . The fronts are the stock 225/45/17s but I had to go with a 245/45/17 in the rear. . . . . . .
First, congratulations on your purchase!

Regarding the problem, if you’re saying you have three 225/45-17 tires and one 245/45-17, if the car is anything like a CLK, it makes sense that the cruise won’t work. The CLK has wheel sensors that determine how fast each tire is turning. Since one tire is taller than the others, it’s turning slower than all the others. That by itself, is enough to drive the cruise nuts. It will also confuse the ABS, ESP and ASR. Keep in mind this is what would happen in a CLK, where the rolling diameter of all four tires should be very close to the same.. Off the top of my head, I don’t know whether the C43 has ESP and ASR. It’s my guess that a new set of tires will probably solve the problem.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BMW and Mercedes
Originally Posted by MarcusF
First, congratulations on your purchase!

Regarding the problem, if you’re saying you have three 225/45-17 tires and one 245/45-17, if the car is anything like a CLK, it makes sense that the cruise won’t work. The CLK has wheel sensors that determine how fast each tire is turning. Since one tire is taller than the others, it’s turning slower than all the others. That by itself, is enough to drive the cruise nuts. It will also confuse the ABS, ESP and ASR. Keep in mind this is what would happen in a CLK, where the rolling diameter of all four tires should be very close to the same.. Off the top of my head, I don’t know whether the C43 has ESP and ASR. It’s my guess that a new set of tires will probably solve the problem.
It has both, and yes this is normal. Even the difference between old tires (in front) and new in rear will trip up the sensors (talking about the same stock sizes).
Old 07-11-2007, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 C43, 15 Alfa 4C LE, 18 Tesla Model 3 DM Perf, 08 Duc S1000, 02 Duc 998, 98 Duc 748, 01 Miata
You're picking me apart

There are two 225/45/17s on the front and two 245/45/17s on the rear.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Going by what FLYNAVY said, that's the problem. The rolling diameter of all four tires should be the same or VERY close.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ECTurboGSX
Well, about three weeks ago I found a black 1998 C43 with 48k miles on AutoTrader. I knocked my chair over as I rushed to grab the phone and call my dad to let him know what I had found. I emailed the seller with my annoying questions and let him know that I wasn't really in the position to buy but I would be if he still had the car at the end of July. Well, with an asking price of $14,900 I knew that I needed to get my ducks in a row real quick before someone else hopped on it. I put a deposit on it about a week and a half ago and flew down Saturday to stay with a friend who lived in the area, which was Birmingham, AL. I picked the car up Monday morning. First MB oddity was the fact that the sun roof would open in intervals as you pressed the open button. It would go partway back and then you would have to let it go and press it again to go all the way back. Then, if you pressed close, it would do nothing. You had to press it up as in making it vent to get it to close. By the time I got home though, it all worked properly.

Now the drive, which should have been 8 hours but turned into a 12.5 hour adventure. First off, the tires were bald and I knew it when I picked the car up. I made the judgment that I could make the 600 miles home on the tires and replace them when I got here. I just happened to pick the day with terrible rain storms, so I had to pull over twice before I got out of Alabama. I finally got some clear weather and headed towards Atlanta where the traffic was pretty terrible. Finally made it through Atlanta and about 30 minutes out I hear "boom" and the car starts shaking violently. The car behind me is nailing the brakes as big shards of rubber are being thrown from the passenger side rear tire (or what is left of said tire). I managed to get the car under control and pull off the side of the highway. Dumb mistake number one was to pull off so far that the passenger side was in the dirt and the jack sank in. Dumb mistake two was to not engage the e-brake and the car rolled forward on the jack. Luckily the wheel was still on and not far up, so no harm done. I repositioned everything and changed over to the spare. Miraculously, the wheel had almost no damage though I had some nice rubber marks up the side of the vehicle. I drove the car to Greenville, SC to look for a Sears since I knew that they were open until 9 pm.

Now, if you didn't want to read the rest of my long story, please read here since I need some help. The Sears did not have the correct rear tire size in stock, so I had to go up a size. The fronts are the stock 225/45/17s but I had to go with a 245/45/17 in the rear. I had to get home, so I didn't have much of a choice. I was expecting to get ESP issues but I haven't had any yet. However, the cruise control isn't working after I changed the tires. When I push the lever to turn it on, it surges to maintain the speed and then immediately shuts off. Does anyone know how to reprogram the cruise control or reset it? If there isn't a way, I'm gonna have to head to the local Sears and see if I can strike up a deal since I know everyone there.

So, I finally got home at 1:30 in the morning. I took her out this morning and got all of the paperwork done and got the license plate. I have to admit that I am madly in love with this car. I don't like to keep things stock as I think everything can be improved upon, but I am planning on keeping this car stock for a little while (besides maybe a Sprint Booster). The previous owner took very good care of the car, but I want to have all of the service up to date. I am planning the following and would like you to let me know if I am missing anything:
-Based on the tire wear, the car definitely needs an alignment. I'm planning on taking it to a European independent that maintains my dad's Porsche (in addition to a 959 and several Carrera GT's) to see if they have someone on staff that is versed on the Benzos.
-Transmission fluid and filter. I'll be taking care of this myself since I can handle anything that doesn't require an expensive specialized tool.
-Spark plugs. Manual seemed to say every 100,000 miles and previous owner said every 20,000. I figure that they are cheap enough so I will do those.
-Engine oil. I use Mobil 1 in everything, so I planned on using that with the Benz too.
-Brake fluid replacement. This one has a squishy pedal, so there is definitely air in the lines. I may switch over to stainless lines at this point too if anyone has any suggestions.
-I'll check out the belts as well. I'd like to go with the billet harmonic dampened crank pulley that I've seen on these boards in the not too distant future. Apparently the stock one failed on the previous owner and has been replaced. I'd also like to do the water pump in the not too distant future. I need to get the Eclipse running and out of the garage before I take on these larger projects.

I know you probably just wasted ten minutes of your life reading my post and you want to know where the pictures are. It was a nasty day and I haven't been able to clean the car up yet, so hopefully I will post some pics tomorrow. It is black on black/blue leather. I didn't think I would like the black/blue leather, but it is much more subtle than it looks in pics. I appreciate everyone's responses and I am glad to be a part of this board. I've been reading for over a year now and the information on this board has been very helpful in my purchase.

Here are some numbers to help other potential buyers:

I paid $14,500 for this car.
It had 48,530 miles on it when I picked it up.
I am paying $660 a year for full coverage through Geico and I am 22 years old.
I financed the vehicle through Capital One.

If anyone has any questions or comments, post them up here or shoot me a PM. Thanks guys.

nice car!!!! post some pixx
Old 07-11-2007, 01:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jimmy540i.com
nice car!!!! post some pixx
oh here's my buddy's c43 FYI

http://www.jimmy540i.com/c43.htm

Old 07-11-2007, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Nice to hear a BMW guy giving the C43 props. Post some info on the F/I 540i, sounds nice, I drove a 540i for about 6 months and really enjoyed the experience, similar to your statement though, nothing like my SC'd C43.

Welcome to the site.

Originally Posted by Jimmy540i.com
oh here's my buddy's c43 FYI

http://www.jimmy540i.com/c43.htm

Old 07-11-2007, 04:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1998 C43, 2001 SLK320
A few comments:

1) My understanding is transmission fluid level has to be EXACTLY right. You might want to leave changing it to a pro.
2) 100000 miles is too long for spark plugs. 20000 miles is too short. Keep in mind they are not that cheap considering you need 16 of them.
3) Mobil 1 0W-40 is a good choice.
4) Goodridge makes steel brake lines that fit a C43. Mine work fine.
5) My sunroof often works the way you describe.
6) Hope you enjoy it. You seem positive despite the slow start.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Originally Posted by Glen H
A few comments:

That's funny. Mine does that too. Didn't have it for too long, but happened twice. Like as if the battery was disconnected and the roof had to be 'learned in' again like you do with the windows (al the way open, hold the button for 10 sec, all the way closed, hold the button again).

Perhaps a design flaw?
Old 07-11-2007, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

We're still experiencing very nasty weather here in the southeast, so I ran out and snapped two in the rain. I promise I will get some good pics once the weather is nice and I can wash her.

Glen, I'll have to read up more on the transmission fluid. I have a good amount of experience as both a technician and as an engineer, so we'll see. Thank you for the other tips and advice.

Jimmy, though I don't think we have directly talked with each other, I do know you from F-Chat. We both have Ducati's.

Thanks for the comments and here are two crappy pics.
Attached Thumbnails My New Baby (C43) is Home!!-myc43-1.jpg   My New Baby (C43) is Home!!-myc43-2.jpg  
Old 07-12-2007, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BMW and Mercedes
Originally Posted by Glen H
A few comments:

1) My understanding is transmission fluid level has to be EXACTLY right. You might want to leave changing it to a pro.
2) 100000 miles is too long for spark plugs. 20000 miles is too short. Keep in mind they are not that cheap considering you need 16 of them.
3) Mobil 1 0W-40 is a good choice.
4) Goodridge makes steel brake lines that fit a C43. Mine work fine.
6) Hope you enjoy it. You seem positive despite the slow start.
Haha....mine too...reminds me of a story. One evening I had a really annoying encounter w/ a Greyhound bus that was hogging the left lane (speed was posted 65 and he was hovering just above 55). He finally gets over, I pass him and get over into the right (like any reasonable driver would do when there was no traffic ahead to pass) and then he immediately speeds up to like 80+ mph (I was in cruise at 73).....for no reason....there weren't any cops, no speed limit change, no traffic that had moved out of the way. He proceeds to get right on my *** and then he lays on his brights. My auto dim mirrors blocked it, but I was *******g pissed.....just the textbook "road games" that I can't stant. Anyways, I go to open the sunroof (so that I can give him the bird) and it won't open to save its life. Haha...that was probably the best thing that it could have done. In the end I called the Greyhound district office and reported him for road rage and excessive speeding. But yes, that is normal for our sunroofs too I think
Old 07-13-2007, 12:23 PM

'99 C43
Sunroof operation issue

Per the Sunroof operation issue: My '99 has done the same thing intermittenly. It's as if the vent function gets mixed up with the open function. You can always make it open or close by using some combination of the control.

I mentioned it to my service rep once, and she said you can reset it by holding the switch in the closed position for 9 seconds with the sunroof already in the closed position.

Mine hasn't done it again since she told me this method, so I can't verify if it works.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, everyone has been very patient with me, so here are some pics. I'll be ordering new rear tires soon that are the proper size. Other than that, she has been wonderful to drive. I might have to get all of the toys out tomorrow for a photo shoot.
Attached Thumbnails My New Baby (C43) is Home!!-slanted-1-.jpg   My New Baby (C43) is Home!!-sideview-1-.jpg   My New Baby (C43) is Home!!-downlow2.jpg   My New Baby (C43) is Home!!-exhaust-1-.jpg   My New Baby (C43) is Home!!-amgtag-1-.jpg  

Old 07-14-2007, 02:47 AM

98 C43, 86 Porsche 951, 98 Volvo S70 T5M
Yeah, that is wierd. My sunroof just did something like that today. It was pretty wierd, but ended up closing. Good find on the car. I had a GSX too at one time. 20G, Header, Exhaust, ect... Lots of fun if it wouldn't a crankwalked.

Hope you enjoy the C43.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:14 AM

1999 C43
Congrats!!!!
I feel the same way about my car. It drives like a dream, and my car is STOCK for more than 2 years.... Needs no improvements.

Enjoy the dream ride.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts
18 G550, 18 C350e
That sunroof oddity can be cured by 'resynchronizing' the sunroof. I forgot the process but it is in your owner's manual.

Congrats on the purchase. I saw a CLK55 with 245/45/17s on the back wheels but it also had some massive tires up front!
Old 08-13-2007, 06:53 PM

Smile nice choice, but.....

I live in england but went to uni in P.A, and only got my C43 AMG in june, best thing i have ever bought. Just in response to your jorney home and buying tyres from Sears, you should only put high quality tyres on your Merc, i.e Mitchelin's like the Pilot Sport, with a high speed rating, belive me you'll need it, I have my car de-restricked and the Cat removed and Run it on 97ron gas (0-62 at5.6sec)so belive me when i say when you floor it at sixty it will keep going and going, I've had it off the clock. Since mine crusies at 90mph at 3000rpm i believe mine is not far of doing 170mph when red-lining it flat out. You only need to change the spark plugs at 100k, if they are playing up. Your sunroof was probably un-used for a while and just sticky. oh and the cruise control is wierd on mine to, i notice on the C43 alot of button and knobs are multifunctional, ie double press some for a second function. ENJOY your car. Regards Sean:

Last edited by seaneboy; 08-13-2007 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:37 PM

Smile nice choice, but.....

I live in england but went to uni in P.A, and only got my C43 AMG in june, best thing i have ever bought. Just in response to your jorney home and buying tyres from Sears, you should only put high quality tyres on your Merc, i.e Mitchelin's like the Pilot Sport, with a high speed rating, belive me you'll need it, I have my car de-restricked and the Cat removed and Run it on 97ron gas so belive me when i say when you floor it at sixty it will keep going and going, I've had it off the clock. Since mine crusies at 90mph at 3000rpm i believe mine is not far of doing 170mph when red-lining it flat out. You only need to change the spark plugs at 100k, if they are playing up. ENJOY your car. Regards Sean:
Old 08-13-2007, 07:54 PM

2008 m5
the recommended factory service interval for spark plugs is 100k. i had 120k on mine and it was still running great. congrats on the car.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:04 PM

Black C43 AMG' 1999 - 2x Vauxhall Cavalier Turbo's - 1 Vauxhall Cavalier GSi2000 4x4 -
Question bhp

hi, im new on here and was wondering what the standered bhp is for the C43 AMG. Mine is a 1999, from England.

Many Thanks

Joby.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BlackBeast
hi, im new on here and was wondering what the standered bhp is for the C43 AMG. Mine is a 1999, from England.

Many Thanks

Joby.
302 bhp
302 lb-ft of torque
Old 08-16-2007, 07:17 PM

Black C43 AMG' 1999 - 2x Vauxhall Cavalier Turbo's - 1 Vauxhall Cavalier GSi2000 4x4 -
ok thank you ECTurboGSX, are there any easy mods that we can do to these cars with a great increase of bhp/torque but for not to much £££?

Thanks

Joby.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BlackBeast
ok thank you ECTurboGSX, are there any easy mods that we can do to these cars with a great increase of bhp/torque but for not to much £££?

Thanks

Joby.
You bought a Mercedes, nothing is cheap. I see that you have a bunch of turbo cars, I have one as well. These cars are no where as easy to mod as a turbo car. There is no turn up the boost and add fuel. Air filters might get you 2 or 3 bhp but cost over $100. Light crank pulley might net you 8-10 bhp and costs around $700. Headers are at least $2k. Superchargers are at least $7k. Used 5.4 liter engines are at least $6k. Pretty much anyone who is making good power on here has done an engine swap or is using a blower. My advice is to keep the C43 relatively stock and do the heavy mods on the turbo cars. I'm keeping my other car and bike so that they can be my science projects. My Eclipse is a good bit quicker than the C43 as it is and it doesn't have that much done to it.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:18 AM

yes, that sounds like a good bit of advise, keep tuning the turbos and enjoy the amg power as it is eh

Thanks

Joby.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My New Baby (C43) is Home!!