C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Does the C43 have an AIR TEMPATURE SENSOR?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 06:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
c43
Does the C43 have an AIR TEMPATURE SENSOR?

- If it does where is it located?
- Does the "ambient sensor" in front of the fender driver side send signals to the ecu?

I love the way the car drives when it is COLD outside. Feels like it gains 15-20 HP! I would like to have this HP in the summer once in a while. I have seen some chips that tricks the ecu making it think its cold outside when its not. So the ecu sends more gas and I belive thats where the power is coming from. Am I right?

Bottom line is I want to add something that tricks the ecu to thinks its cold out. Any suggestions?
Old 02-15-2008, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BMW and Mercedes
Your ECU is not what makes your car more powerful when its cold....it is the fact that there are more oxygen molecules in a given volume of air at lower temperatures than at high. So you have more oxygen to burn, and you make more power. Same idea with Nitrous....you are able to increase the amount of oxygen going into the motor at a given time. So while you could trick your ECU into thinking there was more dense (colder) air coming in, this would just make it over-enrich your air/fuel mixture which would not give you noticeably more power (you would not have any extra oxygen to burn the fuel with)....you would just blow out a little bit more unburnt gas.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:08 PM

c43
Thank you for the explanation. One thing that I cannot understand is this. In the morning when the car is 1st turn on it runs as I mentioned in my post. But after the car has fully warmed up the power goes down. Now, the car fully warmed up BUT the weather conditions outside are still the same.

So if its the cold air giving the car the extra boost why does the car loose the hp when it fully warms up?
Old 02-16-2008, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none
Once the car is warmed up pop the hood and feel the heat surrounding the engine...thats your answer. The intake box basically gets broiled. Pop the intake box and feel how hot the actuall intake mani gets. You should see how much power my car loses during the summer once the blower gets soaked with heat. I don't even drive it over 85 degrees.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:55 PM

c43
I see what you mean and makes sense. So with cold air outside more power due to more oxygen molecules as flynavy pointed out. But after the engine wars up the manifold is extremely hot that no cold air that comes in will cool it off, so loss of power.

Thank guys for the help.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts
2002 CLK430
The intake air thermosensor and atmospheric pressure sensor are integrated with the MAF. There are devices that can be used to artificially lower the intake temperature reading, but they’re worthless. That’s because at WOT, the ECU doesn’t use the intake air thermosensor reading. Addressing your problem, if your car is abnormally slow after the engine warms up, your MAF may be defective.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by MarcusF
The intake air thermosensor and atmospheric pressure sensor are integrated with the MAF. There are devices that can be used to artificially lower the intake temperature reading, but they’re worthless. That’s because at WOT, the ECU doesn’t use the intake air thermosensor reading. Addressing your problem, if your car is ab slow after the engine warms up, your MAF may be defective normally.
+1 +1 +1

Last edited by ProjectC55; 02-16-2008 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:29 PM

c43
I just changed my sensor a week ago and it made the car run and shift better. I would not say it runs bad or has no power when fully warmed up,no NOT at all. what I said was it seems to GAIN more power when car is cold. my car is fast hot or cold but if I had to choose which performs better I have to say when cold. that is what I was saying.