C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

M104 lightweight crankshaft pulley (AMS)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 05:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bicycle
Originally Posted by Z06EATER
doc, i'm thinkin about one of those pullies, is that a DIY thing?
Z06 its not bad, just taken off the bolt is the hard part but after that its pretty simple.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:29 PM
Banned

1996 C36 AMG
Originally Posted by SeeKlasse
ah yes, the topic remains... i think the pulley is OK but i wont touch it until i get my car chipped, drop it with stiffer spring, get adjustable camber arms, freshen up the brakes, and freshen up the steering assembly... and then ill probly get a CP... i wouldve included the plugs/wires but i already did 'em.
thats fine, whatever makes you comfortable, no pressure. All good choices, everyone has different priorities when modding so its totally up to the consumer to chose if its right for them or not. Just make sure you don't have one of the recall pulleys, c43s were most prone to them coming apart, as long as you have new updated harmonic damper then there is no rush to change it. If you don't have the updated harmonic damper, well then you may want to consider replacement or upgrade. hope that helps.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:31 PM
Banned

1996 C36 AMG
The M104 I believe has a higher torque rating than the normal M113 pulleys so it may be harder to take off. However, All AMS pulleys have recommended torque rating (normal M113 torque rating) of 147 ft lbs, no more. Anything else is overkill, especially on an aluminum pulley as light as this one, you don't need all that torque.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:04 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Chrysler Crossfire
It is a pain to get off, but realistically everyone should eventually get this for their car. The main reason being that the OEM unit is a piece of crap. That reason alone is reason enough. If my customer's understood this instead of hoping for unrealistic gains, I'm sure I would hear only positive things.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:49 PM
Banned

1996 C36 AMG
Yes correct, the stock one is complete garbage. I keep trying to reiterate that to people but thats never a strong selling point, people don't seem to care their stock pulley could basically explode at any second . The most desired feature most of my customers have appreciated is the fuel mileage increase (obviously b/c of current prices). In fact many people are now buying them for fuel savings alone and consider the reliability & power gains as just extra benefits but not main purpose for making the purchase.

I think C36ickness is going to prove just how realistic these gains are . The M104 is a completely different animal and its pulley gains are even higher than the C55/E55 gains b/c of its very unique design. In fact it is right on par with the E55 Kompressor pulley gains b/c of its aggressive weight reduction design.

The M104 pulley is definitely my pride and joy and really is a fantastic design which I am definitely proud of. M112/M113 pulleys are great too, but this is on a whole different level. If you had only one mod you could do on an M104 this should be it b/c nothing else will get you remotely this kind of power for this kind of money short of going FI. I know that may sound like hyperbole... but its not and C36ickness knows what I mean, its hard to describe the difference it makes but it really is worth it, otherwise I wouldn't have made it in the first place.

Last edited by Dr. C36; 08-10-2008 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In search of W222
SOoo overall.

C36's and C43's kick BMW M3's asses. If not in Time as some as u may think/.
Quality
Soul
And Craftmenship
Mercedes Dominates no matter what. (and we have 4 doors. haha)
Old 08-10-2008, 07:53 PM

1997 C36AMG
dude of

course, nothing comes close to mercedes, tat stock pully thing is scarin me man, lol i'ma get mine replace when i grab some cash, and that other thing u guys are reccomding me to replace also.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:49 PM

89 300e euro stuff, 96 Volvo 850R bending rods
Thank you Dr. for expressing my point further and more clearly, thats why to some what I said in the beginning sounded like . But the torque that this thing makes is just incredible. And the incredible thing is that this pulley is not making your engine work any harder it helps it work so much more efficiently then it was originally intended on. It's like this sigh of relief that the engine gets, I feel like my car is so much livelier, energetic, happy I could even say (yes I love my car that much to say happier). It's really just this great improvement to an already great engine and you know you can't go wrong with that.

I'M TELLING YOU Z06EATER AND ANY OTHER M104 OWNER HOLD YOUR STOCK PULLEY NEXT TO THE NEW ONE AND YOUR MOUTH WILL DROP. JUST LOOKING AT IT IN YOUR HANDS YOU CAN ALREADY TELL THIS PULLEY MEANS BUSINESS, YOU SEE THE OLD ONE AND YOU WANNA SPIT ON IT LOL. SO TRUST WHAT THE DOCTOR IS SAYING AFTER ALL HE IS A DR.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
Originally Posted by Dr. C36
Ok guys,

can we please NOT turn every single thread in this forum into a C36 vs. C43 thread. One of those was already started if you want to talk about it, take the conversation in there b/c it doesn't belong in this thread. Both are great cars and very close to each other. The C36 is NOT sub 5 thats for sure, that I will admit to lol. high 5s is where it is realistically as is C43. You would need a good 50 more HP and drop a good 200 pounds to get it into high 4s which is unrealistic although not impossible (budget is the real limitation more than anything else). Low 5s is definitely possible and relatively easy.

I dont' know where in the world everyone is getting this $5k number from to make a C36 faster, it won't take nearly that much. For $2000-2500 the car can become drastically quicker (for its era/age). It will never be as quick as a modded W210 E55 or W208 CLk55 obviously, but for what it is, it will be very quick and fun car to drive.

The pulleys have been dyno proven over and over again on the forums by the C55/SLk55 guys so really I don't need any dyno testers, and NO I won't send you a pulley for free, nice try though

with that said can we get back on topic here. thanks

I wasn't trying to start that argument- rather i was stating that the op sounded a bit too much like you (and it was his first post) and that i thought it was a shady advertising attempt (which seems to happen about once a month) and still think that.

the 5k comments came out when i was provoked by c36 vs c43 comments made by you and the op... as well as some others.

the returns measured as dollar/hp are very minimal for the 2,000 or 2,500 you would recommend spending when compared to supercharging a C43- and that is an indisputable fact.

the free pulley thing really wasn't meant to be taken as a joke- seems these other dyno testers haven't convinced many of us- maybe you could post graphs/links? I think my offer was pretty fair.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:57 AM

1997 C36AMG
sounds

like a plan to me, that pully will be in my car soon lol
Old 08-11-2008, 12:51 PM

'98 C43 AMG. Obsidian Blk w/2 tone slvr/blk interior
id be interested in seeing a pic of the stock pulley vs the ams one side by side...
Old 08-11-2008, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Ok guys,
Are you a legitimate forum vendor or advertiser, as in paying the forum so you may solicit sales ?

Or are you just in violation of the forums acceptable use policy by using your posts for a commercial benefit ?
Old 08-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Banned

1996 C36 AMG
SeeKlasse Here's the comparison:

you can see its pretty drastic difference. Weight drops from 9.2 to roughly 2.2 (7 lbs net difference), but that 7lbs doesn't tell the whole story, its where the mass is located. On the stock pulley the mass is all at the outer edge of the pulley, on ours its all in the center pretty much. So in reality the weight differences is more like 10-12 lbs instead of just 7 b/c of where the mass is located.

Inertia = mass (radius)^2 , so as you can see radius plays an even greater factor than mass does in the equation (which is also why idiots who slap on 19s & 20s even if wheel mass is the same, performance is still decreased due to the increase in radius and inertia). Its really simply physics 101. No other of our pulleys has this drastic difference which is why the gains are so much greater on this pulley.

hope that helps explain it in a simple manner for you guys.

Attached Thumbnails M104 lightweight crankshaft pulley (AMS)-m104pulley.jpg   M104 lightweight crankshaft pulley (AMS)-other-m104-model-pulley.jpg  

Last edited by Dr. C36; 08-11-2008 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Banned

1996 C36 AMG
Originally Posted by RBYCC
Are you a legitimate forum vendor or advertiser, as in paying the forum so you may solicit sales ?

Or are you just in violation of the forums acceptable use policy by using your posts for a commercial benefit ?

Solicit - "to initiate a search for (something) by entreaty, earnest or respectful request, formal application, etc."

so no, I did not start (initiate) this thread, one of my customers did, I just came to his aid when the bashing began. I cannot tell my customers what to say and not to say that would be a violation of his Freedom of Speech, he wanted to do a review and I just provided technical info b/c there was confusion. Defending one self against false accusation or baseless allegations is not solicitation. If I started the thread myself then yes that would be a different story. I'm just clearing up the confusion b/c I am the only one that can.

Last edited by Dr. C36; 08-11-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 996 Turbo, 05 CLK55 AMG
"which is also why idiots who slap on 19s & 20s: that is rough and uncalled-for ...
Old 08-11-2008, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
Solicit - "to initiate a search for (something) by entreaty, earnest or respectful request, formal application, etc."

so no, I did not start (initiate) this thread, one of my customers did, I just came to his aid when the bashing began. I cannot tell my customers what to say and not to say that would be a violation of his Freedom of Speech, he wanted to do a review and I just provided technical info b/c there was confusion. Defending one self against false accusation or baseless allegations is not solicitation. If I started the thread myself then yes that would be a different story. I'm just clearing up the confusion b/c I am the only one that can.
telling a customer what to say is not a violation of freedom of speech... I'm sure it was his choice to do a review, and just as sure that you told him exactly what to say.

There really wouldn't have been any bashing if the C36+pulley (essentially- you) people hadn't initially began making C36+pulley vs. C43 comparisons.

If we look back over your posts since you joined with this username there is no question that you are trying to sell stuff and i'm sure if the forum's administrators were contacted and shown the posts all in one place they would take action against you.

Did you know that I run a stereo installation business and am a dealer for many products? probably not as i respect the rules of the forum and the time of my fellow AMG owners enough not to flood the forum with useless, repetitive solicitation (whatever form it may take).
Old 08-11-2008, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
I

thought an end had been put on this thread,admitting they are all nice cars,the pulley is a quality piece,worth about 4h.p. purely from reduced rotational mass,that it won't make an m104 leap building in a single bound and the only reason people pounced on the op was because it was an overtly gushing praise of a product that seemed more of a plant than an actual review.
The mere mention of a specialized tool I had for making spark plug changes easier led to a probation,so word to the wise, whether instigated or provoked or defending a product you are obviously selling and touting without site sponsorship is going to get you cooked sooner than later.
If people want to inquire about the CP have them pm you.
ohlord
Old 08-11-2008, 07:30 PM
Banned

1996 C36 AMG
Originally Posted by ohlord
thought an end had been put on this thread,admitting they are all nice cars,the pulley is a quality piece,worth about 4h.p. purely from reduced rotational mass,that it won't make an m104 leap building in a single bound and the only reason people pounced on the op was because it was an overtly gushing praise of a product that seemed more of a plant than an actual review.
The mere mention of a specialized tool I had for making spark plug changes easier led to a probation,so word to the wise, whether instigated or provoked or defending a product you are obviously selling and touting without site sponsorship is going to get you cooked sooner than later.
If people want to inquire about the CP have them pm you.
ohlord
Oh lord, once again you are spreading misinformation, the pulley does not make only 4HP, but you make blatent lies up about it without ever dynoing it or even trying it, or even seeing it with your own eyes in person.

I didn't start this thread, just providing technical information thats all. Its the bashing against an innocent guy thats getting annoying and uncalled for, let him review it how he wants.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Stg3 B5S4-C55 AMG
Originally Posted by ohlord
Funny how at 100 lbs. lighter and better weight transfer and an aluminum block and a fatter torque curve,a lighter valve train,lighter pistons,lighter valves, variable length intake tuning the C43 runs 5.7's 0-60. Unless there is some new math going on the C36 is in the mid 6's like 6.4 that's closer to a second than a tenth and is way more than a couple of car lengths even if you have the lightweight pulley installed.

Very true. My C36 avg'd 6.3-ish using a G-Tech. I don't think a brake stand launch would have changed the times much.

Its all the car had.

When I had my S4 that beast would hit 60 in the lo 4's w/ mild launches. I miss that car : (
Old 08-11-2008, 09:04 PM

89 300e euro stuff, 96 Volvo 850R bending rods
WOOOOOOOOOOW!!!! telling me what to say so he could sell his pulley nice one. For pete sake this is a well known forum, I thought hey maybe some C36 guys or any body that wants some freaking power outa there car might want to here about how it affected my car. Is that too much to ask. I'm going to dyno my car and I'll show you exactly the gains it gave me, and you'll see that it will pass "4 h.p." Let's stop and I'm freakin sorry if I said that it could be and I qoute I said "like a C43" didn't say it was or was quicker than one. I'm sorry but damn it's just something I used my car to compare to what am I going to say a bugatti or something and definitely not a 55 engine and DEFINITELY NOT A E320, so I picked the closest thing a C43. Can this end now because this is embarrassing we are Mercedes-Benz drivers we have greater class than anyone could have in any car. You don't understand my car and mercedes is not only a hobby for me it's my life right now and will be for a very long time. I'm a benz FREAK!!!!! like literally no joke more so than most people. And also there is also other reasons I can't mention here why I like Mercedes (a pride thing). So can we end this no ones trying to sell anything to anyone, so please.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:12 PM

i (a proud c43 driver) am not going to sit idly by and let someone claim that c36+pulley > c43. its not going to happen (both the inequality and the claim).

i believe in the reduction of rotational mass and the benefits thereof. i have handbuilt my last 3 bicycle wheelsets because of this reason. i select a good quality lightweight hub, the lightest, strongest rim i can find, and then lace the two together with the stiffest lightest spokes available... the result is a noticable difference in acceleration (both pos and neg) due mainly in part to the lighter wheels.

with that said, i will be very interested in purchasing a lightweight pulley for my c43 once i have finished my other more COST-EFFECTIVE upgrades. the first on the list is the chip. 19 hp for 300 bucks is undisputably the most cost effective upgrade.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES

Doctor...

On any of these forums there is no such thing as "freedom of speech " as there are protocols that all must follow to maintain the privilege to post.

The forums wouldn't exist without paid advertisers and you are trying to take a free ride.

I've requested the forum administrators to review your posts and determine if they are for your commercial benefit.

You cross the line when you become a bit insulting trying to tout a product.

Last edited by RBYCC; 08-11-2008 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by C36ickness
Can this end now because this is embarrassing we are Mercedes-Benz drivers we have greater class than anyone could have in any car. You don't understand my car and mercedes is not only a hobby for me it's my life right now and will be for a very long time. I'm a benz FREAK!!!!! like literally no joke more so than most people. And also there is also other reasons I can't mention here why I like Mercedes (a pride thing). So can we end this no ones trying to sell anything to anyone, so please.
If there is any embarassment it's to you and the doctor.

You're nineteen years old, and you post a base line dyno chart that is dated when you were twelve years old ???

Not to burst your bubble, but you don't have a rare vehicle and with 197K miles it's probably only worth about $6K on an extremely good day.

Sad if this is your life...

You sound like a nice kid, but seem to be caught up in smoke and mirrors of going fast.

Have you ever tracked your C36 or any other car, be it in a straight line or on a road course?

If you truly are one who appreciates the marque then educate yourself, learn from those who have owned Mercs long before you were born....

I own five Mercs all with value as they are low production and have low mileage...

I paid $53K for a new 1988 300CE in May of 1988, still own it with 62K miles and just had it twin turbo'd last year.

But I still have a life
Old 08-11-2008, 10:23 PM

RBYCC you sound like a grouchy old man haha.... nothing of what you say is untrue but maybe youre being a little harsh? or are you just tired of the same flame-war threads popping up every 2 weeks?
Old 08-11-2008, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31, 2014 GMC Sierra (6.2)
C36 vs C43
C32 vs C55
E55 vs E63
........Ad infinitum..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: M104 lightweight crankshaft pulley (AMS)