Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none
Meth/H20 installed and running great *pics*

Trunk mount braket made to fit where CD changer sat, no new holes drilled
[IMG][/IMG]

Green LED light next to IAT gauge lights up when spray is active
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

MAF based controller wired to MAF signal, Solenoid prevents vacuum from pulling fluid with nozzle mounted post TB.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

So I had a really nice coolingmist kit that I sold when I was going to get rid of my car. I was given this snowperformance kit recently as a trade for something and decided to give it a shot. It is a trunk mount MAF based kit that reads the MAF volts for onset and amount of injection. I'm using a 375ml nozzle with the pump at 150psi. 50/50 water/meth mix.

The MAF kit is a much smoother climb in spray volume than a boost referenced kit would provide. Considering I only make 4.5lbs from idle to redline. It also picks up load conditions easier using the MAF when boost is otherwise not active.

I've got a dyno appointment next week to check A/F ratios and see what kind a of power if any this makes. Using road testing I can say that so far the car feels like it's making a good amount of extra twist. Using the IAT gauge for about 30min I noticed a steady 40-55 degree drop especially under boost. My IAT prob has since failed so I've got another on order. The second positive result was the temp of the intake manifold. Before the blower would heat up, and the intake mani would act like a giant heat sink for the intake charge and radiant heat from the block. Now after a good drive you can feel how cool the intake mani stays. Before you couldn't even touch it. Egg cooking temps no joke. In terms of cooling = very effective. I'm toying with the idea of a twin nozzle kit with a small 60-700ml nozzle pre blower to cool it beforehand a bit also. There is debate to this method but I'm comfortable with how I would do it.

Most find power through meth/H20 with increase in timing/anti knock properties of the injection. I have no plans on increasing timing but for a car that is severly effected by heat soak and no intercooler I think this was the best mod I've installed yet. The install took a few days of work here and there with some cold beer. Took the seats and carpet up so I could run the lines and wires the right way. My dyno guy said it was super clean install Plan on installing and carpet matching a larger tank for the trunk soon.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
please let us know how it goes on the dyno

also, how do you pull the rear seat? I looked at it briefly once and gave up, lol. I"m sure it's not terribly hard.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by NitrogenBalance
...The install took a few days of work...My dyno guy said it was super clean install...
Nice job.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 380 Likes on 283 Posts
05 c55 silver, 98 Imperial Red C43
you kept your car
Old 09-24-2008, 07:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Originally Posted by PJmak
you kept your car
yeah, when I had a guy come by ready to pick it up I saw the light. I just moved a few things around in my life and made it work. Glad I did.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Originally Posted by silence
please let us know how it goes on the dyno

also, how do you pull the rear seat? I looked at it briefly once and gave up, lol. I"m sure it's not terribly hard.
Underneath the front corners of the back seat you will see a small grey lever under each side. Its a little hidden but you can see it if you look from below. Push these levers either towards the back or front of the car and you will hear the seat pop. I left the back rest on and only removed the seat section and backrest sidebolsters. For the side bolster things on the back seat you pop up the door sill and you'll find 1 bolt near the seatbelt and then carefully wiggle the seat portion and it will pop out. This part has a plastic tab that could break easily just a heads up.

P.S. for the dyno I'm really looking for good A/F's and sustainable power. Seeing how much my car suffers from heat I hope to see no power drop off with each dyno this time around. My goal was effective cooling with this kit and maintaining power more than making it. Although I am praying that maybe a few ponies came out of this also
Old 09-26-2008, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 E430
Looks pretty clean. If it was me I'd look into replacing the red hose with black but thats just a pet peeve of mine. Looking forward to dyno results. How adjustable is the snow kit as far as onset of flow etc? Did you have to mess with it too much or was that nozzle size pretty adequate? (actually I guess until you get it on a dyno you won't know for sure)

I'll be following this thread and any new developments.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
yeah, please please update with all info

im gutting my interior this weekend and it won't be going back together until this and many other things are done.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Originally Posted by suicidal4life
Looks pretty clean. If it was me I'd look into replacing the red hose with black but thats just a pet peeve of mine. Looking forward to dyno results. How adjustable is the snow kit as far as onset of flow etc? Did you have to mess with it too much or was that nozzle size pretty adequate? (actually I guess until you get it on a dyno you won't know for sure)

I'll be following this thread and any new developments.
Same thought...I bought a small stainless hose sleave that I'm going to try and slip over it. Probably good for protection of the hose too. Using the MAF based kit with our types of forced induction is the only way to go. The boost referenced kits would be too on and off. Pretty simple 2D tunning with one dial setting the onset of injection and the other setting the max point of injection. Our MAF sensors are clamped at 4.98V from the split second unit. Since this is where volts peak I chose to set max spray at 4.8V. So at WOT the 375ml nozzle is seeing full pressure/spray. I used some road testing to see where I wanted the spray to come on. If I recall the onset of spray is around 2.8V...but have to go out and check. It sprays under boost always but also where certain load conditions occur but boost isn't neccesarly present. This is where the MAF kit helps as boost isn't needed to trigger spray rather it uses air flow. Only takes seconds to adjust so I'll probably tweak it a bit on the dyno. I really need the IAT prob to work again so I can monitor temps in real #'s. Borring a friends thermo laser thing today to get some surface #'s.

The coolingmist controllers are the next step up and if I increase boost ever I'll upgrade to the coolingmist controller and keep all the snowperformance hardware. The coolingmist controller can use true 3D tunning using IAT's, injector pulse, EGT's, boost, MAF, etc...tons of options all adjusted in real time on your laptop screen.

Hope to have some solid info to post this comming week. I've got a track day scheduled for wednesday also now that it's cold out.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
wow- taking the seat out was ridiculously easy heh

my car is parked and is likely staying that way the rest of the year (took full insurance off yesterday)

i need to figure out what all equipment will be going under the hood and in the trunk though so i can get as much redone this fall as possible.

partsexpress.com has heat protective wire loom stuff that is exactly what you need to cover that hose. I'm not sure how to search it on their site but it's good to like 500 degrees and comes in many colors (as well as chrome and black)

-drew
Old 09-30-2008, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 237 Likes on 184 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Nice work. How often do you have to refill the reservoir for the system?
Old 09-30-2008, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Originally Posted by HLG600
Nice work. How often do you have to refill the reservoir for the system?
I filled it 3 times last week driving the car daily. Considering I was driving like maniac all week it was pretty good. I may just go to the 2.5 gallon tank they offer. I was looking at the 8 gallon but that is overboard I now realize.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Originally Posted by NitrogenBalance
I filled it 3 times last week driving the car daily. Considering I was driving like maniac all week it was pretty good. I may just go to the 2.5 gallon tank they offer. I was looking at the 8 gallon but that is overboard I now realize.
Do they offer something in between a 2.5 and an 8 gallon tank? Three times per week will become a nuisance after awhile.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Originally Posted by HLG600
Do they offer something in between a 2.5 and an 8 gallon tank? Three times per week will become a nuisance after awhile.
I really like that SL, something about that model, maybe less chic than the current? I don't know, but I like it alot.

Nope, 2.5 then 8gal. I was looking at measurements yesterday and think I may just fab one up out of stainless or aluminum to better fit that "notch" area above the section that I mounted the pump. This way it would still be out of the way of any cargo as I still use my trunk a bit. Plenty of space for 5 gal or so.

So far the last 4 days have used about a 1/2 tank so I'm seeing that my driving methods are vastly different. 3x tanks one week, 1x tank this week. All in all more capacity is a must.

I may use a different dyno today to get some #'s. My original dyno for this monday was cancelled as a GMC1500 pickup caught fire saturday, exploded, and burnt on my guy's dyno....melted the strap downs and all. Scary
Old 10-01-2008, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Thanks man, I appreciate it. If you click on the the photo it will go to my Car Domain page with some more photos. I've always been a fan of the W202 AMG's and yours is one of the best C43's I've seen.

Sounds like a custom fab would be the best way to go, as 2.5 gallons is still small and 8 gallons is pushing overkill. As for the 1500 catching fire...just wow.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:23 PM

'98 C43 AMG. Obsidian Blk w/2 tone slvr/blk interior
that gen SL is definitely my favorite. i remember looking at one in the showroom when i got my 1st c280 back in 1996. i couldnt get over the DOHC 48 valve v12... such a beauty of a car
Old 10-02-2008, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Originally Posted by SeeKlasse
that gen SL is definitely my favorite. i remember looking at one in the showroom when i got my 1st c280 back in 1996. i couldnt get over the DOHC 48 valve v12... such a beauty of a car
Thank you!
Old 12-16-2008, 09:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
What happened to the dynos?
Old 12-18-2008, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
What happened to the dynos?
I think the one that got melted is finally up and running well. He is bad at returning my calls, its also snow season so the car rarely moves. I only got a chance to dyno the car post meth/H20 briefly and this dyno also wasn't working right. I hate dynos, other than A/F I'm going to use the track for my measurement from now on. The last dyno I was on we got 2 pulls and it was getting readings all over the place. It was deemed broken. If the tailpipe readings were correct the A/F was near perfect and seemed the meth kept it from leaning out as much under boost. IAT's were great also. So that was nice to see I guess. Ahmed, I'm going to shoot you a PM about more details that we came across playing with it. For what it costs I think it would work well with any modded F/I car that suffers from heat. As a heat prevention application the properties of the setup work great and its been proven for years. The big numbers that the ford guys are getting are due to ramping up timing and using it as anti-knock. I just needed cooling and it made the most sense efficient/cost wise.